Talisman Centre, the largest multi-sport complex of its kind in Canada, offers a unique, rewarding and inspiring work environment in Calgary’s downtown. Not many workplaces allow you to work alongside athletes from all walks of life including recreational, high performance and Olympians. It doesn’t get much more motivating than that!
Working at Talisman Centre means joining a not-for-profit organization and working with a diverse group of fun, hardworking and enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about improving the lives of people around them every day. You will be supported and empowered to help make positive health, fitness and sport experiences for everyone whether they come to the facility to TRAIN, COMPETE or PLAY!
Reports to: Sport Services Manager
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
- An exciting full-time position - 40 hours per week (Events as assigned including weekends, daytime and some evening hours during the week)
- Free facility membership plus a variety of free and discounted programs & services
- Free on-site parking and close to C-train and bus stops
- Eligibility to participate in annual performance based employee bonus program
- Paid time off including generous vacation, sick days and personal days
- Comprehensive benefits package including extended health, dental, short & long term disability
- RRSP Employer Matching Program
- Professional Development assistance program available to support employee career growth
- Annual staff events including BBQ’s, Corporate challenge, December holiday party and many more
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Oversee approximately the 50-55 competition & events that Talisman Centre hosts yearly, through creating systems and procedures for Talisman Centre. The Competition & Events Coordinator is the lead person responsible for the execution of sport competitions from local to international level and member events held at Talisman Centre. Your primary responsibility is to ensure competitions & events are delivered at a world class level including; start to finish execution, budgeting, training & communication.
- Troubleshoot operational challenges and provide exceptional service within the department & outside of the department.
- In collaboration with the Sport Services Manager, establish solid working relationships within the team and other departments to ensure a cohesive working environment in regards to events and competitions.
- Assist in the organization of new hires for Event Timing and Technology Positions, including specific training on policies & procedures & streamlining the training plans for the department.
- Act as a key information source by providing the Sport Director with customer feedback, system enhancements, recruitment needs, training and development needs, ideas for rewards and recognition, new programs/services and on-going quality improvement.
- Be responsible for the timing team duties during his/her absence.
- Complete the daily/monthly invoicing as required and ensure accuracy of individual contracts specific to the events you oversee.
- Clerical and facility operational responsibilities such as; facility bookings, answering telephone and email inquiries, maintain correspondence with customers, administer rentals into the class system, and collection of payment.
- Assist the Sport Services Manager in regards to development and implementation of competition and event policies, procedures and standards.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Review reports and expenditures for previous month/fiscal year.
- Propose and implement improvements in order to prepare the event budget estimates for the current or upcoming fiscal year.
- Ensure that the event areas of responsibility are performed within budget and assist with the development and monitoring of program financials, budget, statistical reports, & research for all events and space.
- Creation of event pricing packages & benchmarking background for events.
Sales, Marketing & Communication
- Assist the Sport Services Manager in working with the Sales and Marketing Team with preparation of promotional material for events. (Newsletters, electronic signs, board packages etc.)
- Actively communicate with both internal and external customers on special events, space changes and service changes and new incentives.
- Communicate with and follow-up on team needs and requests. Identify key areas of service and program enhancement.
- Report accident and incident reports to the Health and Safety Coordinator.
- Cross train with Event Timing & Technology Specialists and reestablish training manual.
- Assist the Sport Services Manager with annual performance reviews for Event Timing and Technology Specialists through regular follow up, feedback and coaching with employees.
- Ensure timing team members are carrying out their duties to meet team objectives.
- Creation and implementation of the event application survey.
- Assist the Sport Services Manager with the creation of the yearly events schedule and allocation of employee coverage for a seamless start to finish process.
- Special event coordination which includes initial request, conflict resolution and data entry, confirmation of event, set up and electronics request, communication to employees & sport partners, event day support and final invoicing of host group.
- Post event evaluation, including event surveys & follow up with event organizers, TC employees and keep reports on successes and opportunities to improve future event.
- Oversee equipment inventory, including timing equipment.
- Be accessible throughout the event as a “contact” to ensure event needs are met, from event start to finish.
- Monitor evaluation forms, surveys & comment cards by following up and tracking feedback in a timely manner for events including identifying consistent customer complaints and implementing a plan for complaint reduction.
- Assist both our internal and external customers by providing prompt, sincere, and professional responses to questions and concerns that arise; striving to exceed our customers’ expectations
- Be the main point of contact for events at Talisman Centre
- Understand and apply all Safety and Emergency procedures to ensure a collective, streamlined and successful evacuation plan.
- Be an exceptional public relations person for Talisman Centre and communicate effectively and courteously with staff, public and user groups.
Chair monthly Talisman Centre Event Committee, Internal & External Event Committees, Event Specific Organizational Bid Committees, and Talisman Centre Social Committee.
- Completed post-secondary education – preference may be given to Kinesiology, or Sport Administration, Event Management or related programs.
- Certified Special Event Professional (CSEP) designation is an asset
- CPR C (recertified within one year) and Standard First Aid (recertified within two years) – required before employment can commence.
- Formal education is complimented by 2-3 years of experience in an administrative position including events, ideally with a background in sporting events at a provincial or national level.
- Must possess a proven ability to establish and maintain an environment of trust and empowerment, build working relationships, delegate, coordinate and monitor work, lead by example, build a successful team, plan and organize and work through conflict.
- The ideal candidate will also have strong communication skills (verbal and written) that allow adaptation to a variety of stakeholders.
- Proficient with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and have working knowledge of data base software.
- Previous experience using the CLASS system is considered an asset.
- Taking personal responsibility for delivering on commitments, ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities and an appreciation for customer service excellence will ensure your success.
- Proven track record in working independently and in a team environment will ensure success in this position.
- Individual must be ambitious, driven and accountable who thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Willingness and ability to work evenings & weekends due to the demands of events in our facility is a must.
- Preference may be given to candidates with the additional certifications in coaching, leadership and/or conflict resolution.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Talisman Centre Human Resources by emailing: (please state job title in the subject line).
Drop off: 2225 Macleod Trail South, Calgary, AB T2G 5B6
Indeed - 6 months ago
As the largest multi-sport complex of its kind in Canada, Talisman Centre enables all Calgarians at any age, at any skill level and within...