This is skilled work of journeyman level in the construction, maintenance, repair and operation of underground and overhead electrical distribution systems and substations. The work involves the performance of skilled tasks in accordance with standard trade practices in construction, operation and maintenance of the municipally-owned electric distribution system.
- Stringing wires.
- Setting poles and anchors.
- Hanging transformers, lightning arrestors, cutouts, crossarms, and insulators.
- Installing underground duct systems, vaults, cables, padmounted transformers, switches, switchgear and associated system components.
- Locating trouble in primary and secondary systems.
- Replacing fuses in transformers, and clearing faulted circuits and systems.
- Working with energized high voltage systems requiring skill and care to protect the lives of themselves and others.
- Required to perform overtime work when called during off-duty hours if problems occur in the distribution system or to connect customers.
- Working in inclement weather.
- Testing and repairing electric meters.
- Maintaining line vehicles and equipment.
- Cleaning shop area.
- Taking inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Connecting and disconnecting customer services.
- Customer interaction.
- Tree trimming and other customer related issues.
- May be required to assist in rescue of lineman in contact with energized lines and to apply first aid treatment until medical assistance arrives.
- Attending training sessions on line safety, line construction, vehicle operation, meter testing and related topics.
Education and Experience
- Journeyman Lineman Certificate of Qualification.
- Knowledge of approved methods, materials and tools used in line construction and maintenance work.
- Able to learn and apply trade knowledge, drive and operate line equipment, and act quickly in emergencies.
- Good physical condition and health, and sufficient physical strength and ability to perform heavy manual tasks relating to line construction and work under any type of weather conditions.
- Skilled in the application of first aid methods.
- Able to follow safe and efficient work practices.
- Knowledge of electricity as it relates to electric distribution and use.
- Good mental concentration to work with high voltage equipment.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team.
- One year of work experience as a journeyman lineman.
- Valid Ontario driver's license with commercial endorsement for AZ or DZ trucks.
- Safe driving record.
Indeed - 17 months ago