Reporting directly to the President, and working closely with the Executive Vice President, Account Executives and Technical Analysts, the Consultant acts as a technical resource, coach and mentor. Aspects of this role include the following: assisting with the training of the Technical Analysts; assisting with the preparation and/or approval of reports, including group insurance renewals, self-insured renewals, quarterly financial projections, costing for new or existing client business, experience updates, managed health care and other ad hoc reports. As needed, the Consultant is responsible for assisting with the preparation of new business quotes, reports and providing recommendations on plan designs. The Consultant will provide underwriting advice and answer inquiries from multiple internal and external sources.
The incumbent must be able to meet deadlines, work well under pressure, and work professionally with all contacts including management, staff, clients and other stakeholders.
The incumbent must maintain the confidentiality and security of client files and data, and must adhere to specific rules and standards in protecting all information.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coach and mentor the Technical Analysts.
- Train, direct, and approve governance reports prepared by Technical Analysts.
- Train, direct and approve reports for insured and self-insured trust fund and corporate accounts. Approve analysis of financial experience reports; approve financial projections based on trends; assist with the negotiation of proposed renewal rates with insurer; recommend measures to address financial conditions including benefit changes and service provider changes; presents the findings.
- Assist with the preparation of new business quotes.
- Provide recommendations on plan designs.
- Provide underwriting advice.
- Answer inquiries from Marketing and Sales, Account Executives, Clients, Technical Analysts and other company staff and contacts.
- Obtain or prepare policy and plan amendments for assigned clients; otherwise review and approve policy and plan amendments with Technical Analysts prior to client distribution and filing.
- Approve contracts, claims experience, insurance renewal reports, booklets, financial statements, governance etc. handled by the Technical Analysts.
- Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of communication pieces to clients regarding changes to their benefit programs.
- Develop enhanced reporting methods. Train and monitor reporting prepared by Technical Analysts.
- Facilitate analysis of service provider adequacy (e.g. Group Insurer, Investment Manager).
- Attend client meetings and present reports as required by the Executive Vice President and/or Account Executive.
- Work on special group benefits consulting projects as required.
- Provide group benefits consulting advice and answer inquiries from Technical Analysts, clients, Account Executives, other staff and contacts.
- Keep up-to-date on industry trends and changes in legislation.
- Provide legislative updates to clients in the form of mass communications as needed.
Experience and Education Requirements
- University Degree or College Diploma in business administration, economics, finance or other related field.
- A minimum of 5 years group benefits underwriting experience.
- Direct experience with group benefits renewals and/or new business.
- Knowledge of various underwriting methods and renewal rating methodology (i.e. credibility formulas, refund accounting, large case LTD underwriting, etc.)
- Knowledge of various group products and policy provisions including the following: life, health, drug plans, and dental.
- Knowledge of critical illness, out-of-province emergency medical, flex benefits, and health care spending accounts is an asset.
- Knowledge of various types of group contracts. This includes corporate, franchise group, association group and multi-employer plans.
- Proven success in meeting performance levels related to established objectives.
- Ability to create and nurture successful business relationships with the clients.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills with all levels of staff and clients.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an environment of rapid and continuous change.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Proficiency with current Microsoft technology and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Must have the CEB or CEBS certification.
- Experience with pension plans is an asset.
- Some supervisory experience is an asset
If this position is of interest, please forward a copy of your resume in Word format along with your salary expectations.
Indeed - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard -