TELUS Spark, Calgary’s new science centre has an amazing opportunity for a dynamic individual ready for growth and development. If you are looking for a challenge and want to be part of something innovative and really make a difference in your organization we want to hear from you.
TELUS Spark, the new Science Centre, is Canada’s first purpose built science centre in over 25 years. Our programming is built on fostering 21st century skills, such as critical thinking, problem solving and risk taking – skills needed to help further the province, the country and the world! We are looking for people who share our passion for science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM), and who dream of making a difference in the lives of people of all ages. We have over 370,000 visitors annually and are a registered not-for-profit organization founded in 1967.
Reporting to the Vice President, Technology the Security Supervisor is accountable, maintaining a safe and secure environment for guests and employees by establishing and enforcing security policies and procedures.
- Develop a strong team of employees focused on the safety and security of employees and guests. Monitor and evaluate unit performance on key security issues and programs, recommend corrective action programs as appropriate.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other TELUS Spark groups to meet objectives, creatively solve issues, anticipate challenges and respond to opportunities.
- Ensure the Security team understand the directions and expectations associated with the implementation of the teams annual and strategic plans.
- Monitor, anticipate, adapt, mitigate, and respond to changing conditions in the Security team. Identify risks, develop contingency plans and collaborate with the Vice President, Technology to solve operating pressures and act on opportunities.
- Develop and maintain connections with security contractors, security equipment vendors, maintenance personnel, the police, fire and emergency medical service groups.
- Ensure the standards and objectives of the Security plan (including the development, implementation and operation of new and existing programs) are communicated and understood.
- Responsible for conducting security site reviews, writing audit/review reports, reviewing findings and making recommendations to management.
- Lead incident analysis and investigation relative to all security incidents with advice and closure to all responsible functional management.
- Developing, delivering and evaluating a training program for all security personnel.
- Develop and deliver emergency procedure training to all staff upon hire.
The successful candidate on this position will possess
- Related degree required and 2+ years of related experience within the field. Security professional designation/certification as a Certified Protection Professional required.
- Demonstrated competency in security and protecting the safety of property and people
- Demonstrated supervisory or management experience
- Experience in exercising excellent investigative, interviewing and negotiating skills in a security/protective role
- Knowledge of police practices, methods and enforcement strategies
- Knowledge of crisis/disaster management planning
- Understanding and experience with the challenges associated with securing a public building
We are looking for an individual that is
- focused and committed to excellence and innovation in the workplace. Motivates and encourages others to achieve their personal best and leads by example. As an open and transparent communicator build trust and cohesion and support staff with a “can do” attitude.
- a team player with the ability to lead and create an engaging team environment. Being an open and consistent contributor focused on the value of the organization and respect for the team
- known for their integrity, compassion, credibility, honesty and respect for others.
If you want to be part of an energetic, driven and focused team where you have a strong voice and impact on your organization TELUS Spark is the place for you.
Please note the successful applicant will be subject to a Police Information Check and will have to work occasional overtime, weekend and holiday shifts.
Send cover letter and resume to careers@ sparkscience.cawith "Supervisor, Security" in the email subject line. No telephone calls will be accepted.