TELUS Spark, Calgary’s new science centre has an amazing opportunity for a dynamic individual ready for growth and development. If you are looking for a challenge and want to be part of something innovative and really make a difference in your organization we want to hear from you.
TELUS Spark, the new Science Centre, is Canada’s first purpose built science centre in over 25 years. Our programming is built on fostering 21st century skills, such as critical thinking, problem solving and risk taking – skills needed to help further the province, the country and the world! We are looking for people who share our passion for science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM), and who dream of making a difference in the lives of people of all ages. We have over 370,000 visitors annually and are a registered not-for-profit organization founded in 1967.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer the Director, Finance is accountable, for the overall financial performance of TELUS Spark as well as the adequacy, effectiveness and reliability of TELUS Spark’s internal financial team, processes, policies, systems and controls. The Director, Finance is also accountable for the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of internal and external financial reporting.
- Strategically plan for and identify necessary financial and budget requirements, both capital and operating, to support the ongoing sustainability and success of TELUS Spark.
- Liaise with the Finance and Audit Committee as appropriate
- Development of operational and financial metrics, measures and indicators
- Assist the Chief Operating Officer and the Board with financial reporting as required for Board meetings and the Annual General Meeting
- Financial lead with Auditors
- Provide strategic financial advice, options and recommendations to the senior management team on material issues of importance.
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Chief Operating Officer and the Finance Committee
- Assist Program Directors and Project Managers with the preparation of budgets for funding applications
- Ensure that managers throughout TELUS Spark have timely, accurate and effective financial reports and analysis.
- Developing, communicating and coordinating indicators and thresholds for financial success in revenue and cost centres with management across the organization while leading discussions and planning meetings to address at risk areas throughout the year.
- Review monthly results and implement monthly variance reporting
- Develop, implement and monitor financial systems, processes, policies and practices that effectively support TELUS Spark in the reliable achievement of its goals and objectives.
- Ensure the adequacy, integrity, flexibility, reliability and TELUS Spark’s system of financial processes, policies, systems and other controls.
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
The successful candidate on this position will possess
- A recognized accounting designation (CA, CMA, or CGA) is required
- 5 years’ progressive experience at a senior or management level is required
- Proven abilities to lead a team and develop staff as the Finance Team will be looking for that.
- Proven understanding of finance, risk management, accounting, capital planning, systems, controls and compliance.
- Understanding and experience with the complexities of not-for-profit financial management, government accountability and charitable status and volunteer board governance
- Demonstrated knowledge of leading strategic planning and performance metrics including benchmarking, business process improvement, and technology solutions.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Exceptional organizational abilities that allow them to set priorities develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Decision Making skills that allow them to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Proven problem solving skills that allows them to assess problem situations, identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Recognition as a positive business contributor and collaborative change initiator.
- Ability to be a strategic and out of the box thinker that influences change with thought, intent and inspiration.
- Active listening skills while also being a confident, articulate concise, factual and intuitive communicator able to communicate at multiple levels as needed, both internally and externally.
- Open and transparent communication skills that build trust and cohesion while supporting staff with a “can do” attitude.
- A focus on the value of the organization and respect for the team.
- Integrity, compassion, credibility, honesty and respect for others.
If you want to be part of an energetic, driven and focused leadership team where you have a strong voice and impact on your organization TELUS Spark is the place for you.
Please note the successful applicant will be subject to a Police Information Check and will have to work occasional overtime, weekend and holiday shifts.
Send cover letter and resume to careers@ calgaryscience.ca with "Director, Finance" in the email subject line. No telephone calls will be accepted.