Building & Event Support Assistant
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: January 21, 2013
Are you looking for a challenge? Do you want to be part of something new and innovative?
Opening on Oct. 29, 2011, in Calgary, Alberta, TELUS Spark, the new Science Centre, is Canada’s first purpose built science centre in over 25 years. Our programming is built on fostering 21st century skills, such as critical thinking, problem solving and risk taking – skills needed to help further the province, the country and the world! We are looking for people who share our passion for science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM), and who dream of making a difference in the lives of people of all ages. If this sounds like you, we would like to hear from you.
TELUS Spark is a registered not-for-profit organization founded in 1967 (previously called TELUS World of Science, Calgary). In 2011, the organization completed an exciting and innovative project to build Calgary’s new science centre (TELUS Spark). Opening doors for over 370,000 visitors annually, TELUS Spark has taken a leading role in providing interactive learning experiences for families in Southern Alberta. Through community partnerships, we help to cultivate a deeper appreciation, appetite and passion for the STEAM areas.
Reporting to the Director, Building Operations, the Building Support Labourer will perform comprehensive event support and building maintenance duties while assisting to maintain a professional building site (internal and external). Working collaboratively with all departments, trades, and clients this opportunity requires a results oriented, positive, career professional, who thrives on accepting new challenges within a fast paced environment.
- Set up and take-down of facility rentals and events.
- Carries out minor building and grounds maintenance requirements on a scheduled or periodic basis including, but not limited to filter replacement, lamp replacement, etc.
- Reports emergency maintenance; i.e. – broken windows, mechanical, electrical or plumbing problems.
- Be able to repair basic plumbing issues.
- Maintains a professional project site.
- Assist Facility Events and Operation team members upon request by fulfilling all project requests on time.
- High School Diploma
- A minimum of one year construction experience and/or fulfilling Labourer roles, or equivalent
- Basic electrical, plumbing, drywall, and construction fundamentals, considered an asset
- Ability to read basic plan drawings is an asset
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and work in a time sensitive environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong work ethic, high standards, and feel a sense of personal accountability and ownership
- Familiar with Occupational Health and Safety standards
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing to work weekends and evenings
- Must be able to work in confined and/or restricted places
- A police background check will be conducted
- A pre-placement physical will be required
- This is a physical role that will require manual lifting
- Valid Driver’s license
Send cover letter and resume to careers @sparkscience.ca with "BUILDING & EVENT SUPPORT ASSISTANT" in the email subject line.
No telephone calls will be accepted.