OVERSEAS EXPANSION INTERN - GRAPHIC DESIGNER
This is an opportunity to join a forward-thinking educational NGO’s income generation activity in its early stages of development in Canada
This Role Description outlines the position of Graphic Designer for TEACH’s new expansion. This is a new post and is part of the organisations plans to develop and expand their income generating programs through Canada. We are a small but dynamic and fast-moving team who are looking for passionate and highly motivated team members to help us set up logistics in country before being joined by members from the UK.
TEACH – Time to Empower Africa’s CHildren,
TEACH – Time to Empower Africa’s CHildren’ is a dynamic, frontline charity working to alleviate poverty through the power of education. Sustainability is at the heart of TEACH’s work – which is why we believe a hand-up is more effective than a hand out. We work to provide innovative and holistic educational programs, which place the power to act and to change, firmly in young peoples hands.
Further information can be found at our website: http://www.teachafrica.org.uk/
Student Ambassador Mentor – Fundraising and Recruiting
From time to time, travel may be required as part of the role. Mainly to Universities around your location
Part Time work capable of being conducted from home.
Occasional Skype meetings will need to take place that will be arranged at a reasonable time for both parties accounting for time difference of the respective countries.
This is a voluntary position. At the end of your internship TEACH will provide a reference.
Any reasonable expenses incurred will be repaid on a monthly basis following submission of an expenses report and respective receipts
This position is possible to be completed over the summer. A 3-6 month period with the option for staying on and initiating the next step of the programme.
- Confidence/fluency in spoken and written English
- Proven Graphic Design work
- Good eye for design and layouts
- Experience in using InDesign
- Familiarity in creating information packs
- Ability to work alongside a content writer remotely
- Excellent written, and oral communication skills, and able to communicate to a variety of audiences
- Computer literate; ability to respond to emails quickly
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- High motivation, with the ability to be pro-active and work with others and on his/her own
- Ability to manage own workload and meet deadlines
- Willingness to work with limited resources
- Empathy and high commitment to TEACH’s mission and organizational values
- Experience working with Universities; including university regulations and structures
- Involvement in previous income generating activities
- Experience with marketing in various forms
- Knowledge and understanding of what it means to guide and mentor individuals through a process. Having the necessary empathy that goes with this
- French literacy
TEACH is looking to form relationships with Universities in Canada. The idea is to recruit students, known as student ambassadors, who are interested in arranging a charity challenge with their fellow students. TEACH needs to approach Universities with the concept and recruit students through them. The Graphic Designer is tasked with preparing materials along side our Student Ambassador Mentors for future student ambassadors to pursue their recruiting and fundraising endeavors.
More details are available during the interview.
Please note that this Job description can be amended from time to time. Duties will be varied therefore a degree of flexibility is required.
- Look through current UK fundraising and recruiting packs and analyze the material
- Talking with team mates to decide on layout, design and content of new material
- Gather ideas and information from other members in the student ambassador team
- Designing and creating new information packs
- Completing various other graphic design tasks as the occur
Once the UK team arrive in country it will be possible to move forwards with the income generating scheme involving the use of university student ambassadors to find their own groups and fundraise for their trips through TEACH.
Progression in this role may include:
- Creating further material for our other future programs
- Media and Marketing
- Explore expansion ideas
- Promote an “incentive based scheme” for students
- Explore avenues for expansion
- Help with the initiation of our new programs in development.
The post holder will require an excellent level of competency in the following
The applicant should be a natural advocate for change and development.
Planning and organizing:
Competence demonstrated by the ability to process requirements of role effectively. Is able to gather and use resources effectively. Can prioritize their own and/or their teams’ workload appropriately and are able to review and amend priorities and actions as and when required.
Competence demonstrated by the ability and inclination to work cooperatively with others. Will be able to recognize a good balance between brainstorming innovative ideas, and taking action.
Understands how to develop productive working relationships, both with international and national colleagues and informants.
The applicant must take responsibility for not only themselves but to continue to represent TEACH in such a way as accordance with our overall principles.
Able to examine information and make balanced recommendations. Will communicate, follow through and will be accountable for outcome. Will always have the interests of TEACH at the core of the decision. Will support decisions once made.
Drive for results:
It is important that the applicant be self motivated and have a genuine desire to reach the goals set by TEACH within the timeframes laid out in the project development.