SYSCO

SYSCO Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
High Turnover - Low wage- Micromanaged
Operations support coordinator, Driver supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMarch 4, 2014
Pros: benefit flex care, on site gym, on site cafe, flexibility for schedules.
Cons: cafe hours, job work/ life balance, job security.
Was blessed to have the opportunity to experience several positions at Sysco. When I began my journey Sysco was the type of company one could grow with. Now it lacks job security for any position there. The more money you earn the more at risk you become for your services no longer required. Regardless of your knowledge or years of service. It's unfortunate that the company decided to downsize staff with many years of service and knowledge just so they could rehire other people at a lower wage. So now many positions are based at a lower wage that certainly does not match the work volume and expectations. Some positions that use to be full time are now classified as part time. The company decides to focus on numbers than employees. On paper they look great and cover all the required basis, but struggle to practice what they preach. If you love to be micromanaged this is the company for you. This is a fast paced environment that struggles to maintain teamwork among departments. They say one thing and do the complete opposite. Sink or swim
awful place to work
order selector (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMarch 2, 2015
Pros: nothing anymore
Cons: management sucks more and more each day
i currently work as an order selector in the warehouse in halifax, the company talks about safety all the time and training seminars, but in the 6 months i've been there we only did 1 little short training session, and that was only because the system went down. The management does not care about they're employees at all. They only care if you get your numbers, if you dont then they will fire you. I started in september 2014 and since I've been there they have fired 5 people because of theyre numbers and 12 people that started after me quit because they couldnt hit they're numbers. Sysco does not give you a chance to advance at all, they tell you they will train you on the forklift but they never do, the only perk of the job was the paying of incentive, but they changed it so much in 6 months that i was making 400$ extra a week to now i'm lucky to make anything becayse they want you to pick faster, scan more product labels, and not have any short on trucks. All in all sysco halifax employees have referred to the job as a slave movement, management takes takes takes but does not give anything in return.
You want to work like a dog?
order selector (Former Employee), Winnipeg, manitobaJune 15, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: gives you free food to make you work harder
This company dosent care about you. They make up guidelines like saying you have to get 100% every week just to keep your job. To get 100% you have to hold in number 1 and number 2 also skip breaks if your lucky you will get 100 %. If for example you get 98 % then you will get a letter. I can bet that none of management could even come close to getting 100%. They are all talk no show. Also the company likes to hire new immigrants to use them as slaves because they know they will not get far within the company and as soon as your close to your probation ending they will fire you. Its not worth it most american companies don't care at all. So its up to you if you like to be the pawn lol. Also lots of favouritism if they dont like you they will give you orders so high in volume that its truly impossible to 100 % unless you want to be a old depressed handicapped old man.
Fast paced environment.
Fork Op, Order Picker. (Current Employee), Regina, Sk. CanadaFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: good pay, benefits.
Cons: management, hours, job security.
Poor management, favoritism, little regard for customers or low end employees. Only concern seems to be about efficiency(numbers) & not the safety/ well being of the worker. Inadequate training with regard to operating systems. Unable to approach managers with safety concerns or job related issues. Unreasonable expectations in regard to work performance or ability. Unable to understand I.T. personnel who seem to lack the ability to speak the English language & offer little help/support. Warehouse too small to accommodate pallet jacks. Some aisles too narrow for safe fork lift operation. Cracks in warehouse floor & leaky roof are hazards for pedestrians, pallet jack & fork operators. If you're looking for stable, long term employment with little or no stress, then this is not the place for you!
exceed physical limit,work very hard or be suspended or terminated!
Material Handler (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2012
Pros: performance bonus, free work out, you'll never gain weight even you eat a lot.
Cons: unsafe, mistakes salary deduction, forcing to reach a certain high performance, or be terminated.
a typical day in the warehouse floor,is always in a hurry and trying to reach a certain percentage or piece counts just to get a performance bonus $$$, but when they hire temporary foreign worker, they make it a must that your should a certain very high performance (95%) or else you'll be re-trained, suspended or terminated. maybe this is the very reason only temporary foreign worker mostly endure the job here to earn money to be sent home to their love ones. Many time we do not take full breaks or lunch just to continue the job and have high performance.
A challenging rewarding company
Marketing Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 9, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: have to work 6 days a week.
My daily responsibilities was insuring my accounts were taken care of and I was expanding my territory. I learned true customer service by insuring every issue and problem was my problem...if my customers had an issue, then it was my issue.
There was very little opportunity to move ahead. The last year was difficult with so much change. I had three bosses in the last year and very little support in the last 9 months.

The best part of the job is the thrill to help customers. I would enjoy that I helped them out of an emergency or help them with there long term growth.
Having worked for Sysco in two different province I have polar opposite reviews as both OPCO's differed greatly
Marketing Associate/Territory Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2015
Laptop open at 7:00a.m. each morning to review orders and look for problems or delivery schedule conflicts.
Learned many sales techniques and how to vary them according to different accounts/personalities.
Many levels of management to turn to in a given day if needed.
Losing business to the competition was most difficult aspect to deal with.
Seeing customers gain new business from my recommendations was always most rewarding part of job.
Positive career
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Excellent team environment
Cons: Management does not work well with employees
I learned a wealth of information in the food industry and additionally acquired further customer service and administration skills. It was an enjoyable career with an excellent team environment. Management however did not follow protocol in our department with employee relations and pushed many good representatives out the door. Sysco is a global leader and reputable company as a whole.
Outstanding and Outgoing Sales Rep
Sales Representative -Outside Sales (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 28, 2013
Extensive experience in account management, account penetration and prospecting (cold calling) Consultative selling approach combined with strategic critical thinking skills
Adept at closing the sale Grew low performing territory into profitable territory Excellent communication skills, self motivated individual Possess strong interpersonal and leadership skills necessary for growth and success
Great Team work
Corporate Multi Unit Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton AlberaMarch 30, 2015
Pros: In house restaurant
Cons: Long hours
Productive working environment , with unique challenges , and ample support . Co - workers would jump in and help when the work load was overwhelming . The most difficult part of the job was submitting many detailed reports in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team, building trust and knowing that the people you are working with have integrity.
down sizing hindered job security
Customer Service Team Supervisor (Former Employee), Milton,OnApril 16, 2015
Pros: treated employees well
Cons: poor training follow through
Incredible company to work for however downsizing hindered job security greatly.
Great management team
promoted from within

My duties included
data entry
sales
email/voicemail (very large amounts)
training
WHIMIS trained
Certified in first aid (expired)
diffusing situations constantly everyday
very strict deadlines daily
It was a good job acutally not that bad
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 23, 2015
a typical day at work was when our supervisor almost died he got crushed between tow trailers he forgot to pull the spring brakes on one of the truck when he was moving pallets from a trailer to another then he ended up in the hospital with broken desk and both legs after one of the workers was at the site that time he heard him screaming with loud voice then he knew he was hurt.
It is very productive place
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 5, 2014
I am picking orders,I am selector putting right box on right pallet on right zone to keep our costumers happy.Main goal it is to deliver right product to our costumer.I am learned that even when is hard day and we are way behind of schedule when we all stick together we can deliver it on time and keep our costumers happy.That is a strength and spirit of good working environment.
For committed sales people that want to try there hand at Foodservice It can be great with a little luck with the territory you get
Marketing associate / Sales Rep (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABDecember 30, 2015
Pros: Great young growing enthusiastic co workers
Cons: Long hours
Marketing associates day never ends and your on the move all day long meeting appointments , growing profitable orders for you and the company . All commission sales
Looking for better paying Driving Work
Driver (Current Employee), Acheson, ABNovember 27, 2015
Only Looking for a different work for 1 reason my first child is on the way.I really like working here because i get to come home ever night and the guys are easy going,but soon it will only be myself working and i will not be able to cover all the bills with this job.job. I'm not getting full work weeks,and really need the money
Fast paced environment
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee), Halifax, NSDecember 22, 2014
Pros: the working hours
Cons: safety issues
Very fast paced place to work, behind on the safety aspect of a work environment.
wants to be informed of safety concerns just very slow to do anything about it. co workers were great to be around and very informative of the working culture and express their concerns freely
Very enjoyable if you enjoy working with people
Food Sales (Former Employee), Prince George, BCJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, to a point. great support from 1st manager
Cons: not so much support from final manager.
Loved the job. Every day was different even thou i saw the same schaduled accounts each week.
Enjoyed the challenge of growing my cusatomer base as well as increasing sales in existing accounts
Fun work place always something going on
Biiling Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary ABAugust 12, 2014
Pros: learned alot
Cons: to many chief's
Very stressful most times because all time management but do-able.Had to know alot of codes. The hardest part was when our printer's went down and all we could do was wait . The most enjoyable was most the people because become like second family.
Productive and fun workplace
Order Selector (Current Employee), Regina, SKNovember 2, 2014
Pros: fix schedule
Cons: transportation problem
Same work everyday. Learned pros and cons of unionized work culture. Head office issued new productivity plans are not suitable in common to all warehouses. Working in freezer for ninety cents more not worth damaging body. Week goes faster.
fast paced
Owner Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 21, 2015
Pros: learn your way around the city
Cons: bad hours, night shift
fast paced, quick learning environment, long hours
stressful, always changing and moving
very physical,

you start very early, you work very hard running up and down a ramp all day.
lots of digging loading up carts and delivering to resturants
Industry