Syncrude Employee Review

power engineer worked solely on fluid cokers and looking to expand knowledge in the field
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurray21 August 2013
over the past 4 years I have worked on 3 different fluid cokers within my current company. We work rotating 12 hour shifts on a 3 days and 3 night with 6 off schedule.

a typical day within my experience involves standard mechanical and safety rounds multiple times per day if not outside all day. I have taken care of fluid coker unit processes, such as heavy ends processing, sour gas processing, working with large compressors, air blowers, turbine and electric pumps, fractionators, boilers, exchangers, steam production, reactor and burner management, isolations, shutdowns, start ups and overseeing that all work is completed from paperwork down to cleanup of the posts.

i have learned to work quickly and efficiently while keeping all process circuits, troubleshooting techniques and hands-on job completion in a high tempo environment working mainly outdoors for 12 hour shifts all year long.

i find the hardest part of my job is continuously doing the same tasks repeatedly and I am looking to expand my experiences and knowledge within the field so as to keep me in an upward learning curve within the field.

the most enjoyable part of my job is working outdoors and not sitting at a desk all day.
Pros
high rate of pay and good benefits enabling me to provide for my aging parents
Cons
working in the same area all the time can get monotonous

Other Syncrude Employee Reviews

A lot of silly rules
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Mildred Lake, AB27 September 2017
Must be willing to look down on others once you receive your orange helmet. NEVER give respect to contractors!(as a orange helmet your just naturally better) disown friends you may have had that are still contractors, and brag about the money you make!
Still there unfortunately but trying to get out !! People aren't likely to hire you once they know you work here they assume you have the same poor attitude.
Pros
Money
Cons
The rest
Used and learned new skills
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 June 2017
Great company to work for. Ability to use my existing skills in Power Engineering . Great team work and ability new learn new skills. Enjoyed new challenges daily