Syncrude Employee Review

power engineer worked solely on fluid cokers and looking to expand knowledge in the field
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurray21 August 2013
over the past 4 years I have worked on 3 different fluid cokers within my current company. We work rotating 12 hour shifts on a 3 days and 3 night with 6 off schedule.

a typical day within my experience involves standard mechanical and safety rounds multiple times per day if not outside all day. I have taken care of fluid coker unit processes, such as heavy ends processing, sour gas processing, working with large compressors, air blowers, turbine and electric pumps, fractionators, boilers, exchangers, steam production, reactor and burner management, isolations, shutdowns, start ups and overseeing that all work is completed from paperwork down to cleanup of the posts.

i have learned to work quickly and efficiently while keeping all process circuits, troubleshooting techniques and hands-on job completion in a high tempo environment working mainly outdoors for 12 hour shifts all year long.

i find the hardest part of my job is continuously doing the same tasks repeatedly and I am looking to expand my experiences and knowledge within the field so as to keep me in an upward learning curve within the field.

the most enjoyable part of my job is working outdoors and not sitting at a desk all day.
Pros
high rate of pay and good benefits enabling me to provide for my aging parents
Cons
working in the same area all the time can get monotonous

Other Syncrude Employee Reviews

productive and fun
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2018
An amazing and progressive experience. Great
people and environment. also hardworking- No hard
parts be
cause I loved e
very minute and
built relationships
safe place to work
MILLWRIGHT, INTERPRO TECHNICAL SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 January 2018
will happily work there again. knowledge base of plant operators and contacts made working there very easy. camps provided were clean and food was good.