Syncrude

Syncrude Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive,learned diffrent skills and zero tolerance policy for quality and safety.
Supervisor at baseline (Mining) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 29, 2014
Inspect the quality of the rocks used or refining by using calipers and different chemicals.
A good learning environment with great team work
Payroll analyst (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 18, 2014
I enjoyed working there because the management is very reasonable and understanding. I was able to explore different areas of payroll including filling in for front desk duties and working with accountants closely to make sure our process runs smoothly. I loved being challenged when new situations are being presented. Also I didn't mind helping the – more... other payroll analysts when the work load gets to be too much for that one person. – less
A+++
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 25, 2014
Pros: get paid well and lots of work
Cons: away from home
it was excellent good hours , enjoyed the camp, made a lot of $$$$.
Exciting and fun workplace with pool tables, ping pong tables, etc.
ID Attendant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 20, 2014
Pros: environmemt
Cons: long hours
I enjoyed working for Syncrude. Not only because it was my first employment opportunity in Alberta, but for how fun they made it seem and how much I felt right at home.
The management really took care of their employees and made sure everything was running smoothly. The hardest part of the job is figuring out what else there was to do once we were finished – more... our work for the day. I would always finish really early in my shift and go out and find other work to do in my station. – less
I enjoyed my work and the people
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 28, 2014
Pros: good wages and benifits
Cons: upper management could have been better
There was a variety of work so you were learning new things.
Most management was good but some policies were not
The job involved an hours travel each way but they did provide bussing.
Overall it was fulfilling work
Opportunity to move around in company
Contract Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 11, 2013
Pros: good salary
Cons: exptreemly large company, easy for some to get lost in the midst.
I've been at Syncrude for 19 years.
I have had many opportunities for change, and learning. Syncrude provides great Pay incentive along with benefits.
I would love the opportunity to work in town, be closer to my family on a regular basis.
Syncrude as a Client was in most respects a great organisation to work with
Senior Safety Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2013
I worked for AMEC Americas Oil sands - not for Syncrude. Syncrude is our client. I cannot review SCL but I can say that my interaction with their staff in Calgary and at Fort Mcmurray have always been positive and largely enjoyable(always, in any large organization, with Client interaction, there will be good days and some a little more challenging – more... - depending on the programme and where we are perceived to be ...) – less
Very good Company, with excellent values
Tech Supervisor and retired (Former Employee), Ft. McMurraySeptember 10, 2013
Pros: salary based on merit
Cons: too many levels of management to work with
A typical day was an early start and late finish as a Supervisor.
Learned many Management skills which assisted me in developing solid relationships.
Was treated fairly by Management over my term of employment.
Having to approach unsatisfactory performance.
Recognition for my efforts.
power engineer worked solely on fluid cokers and looking to expand knowledge in the field
Process Operator (Current Employee), fort mcmurrayAugust 21, 2013
Pros: high rate of pay and good benefits enabling me to provide for my aging parents
Cons: working in the same area all the time can get monotonous
over the past 4 years I have worked on 3 different fluid cokers within my current company. We work rotating 12 hour shifts on a 3 days and 3 night with 6 off schedule.

a typical day within my experience involves standard mechanical and safety rounds multiple times per day if not outside all day. I have taken care of fluid coker unit processes, such – more... as heavy ends processing, sour gas processing, working with large compressors, air blowers, turbine and electric pumps, fractionators, boilers, exchangers, steam production, reactor and burner management, isolations, shutdowns, start ups and overseeing that all work is completed from paperwork down to cleanup of the posts.

i have learned to work quickly and efficiently while keeping all process circuits, troubleshooting techniques and hands-on job completion in a high tempo environment working mainly outdoors for 12 hour shifts all year long.

i find the hardest part of my job is continuously doing the same tasks repeatedly and I am looking to expand my experiences and knowledge within the field so as to keep me in an upward learning curve within the field.

the most enjoyable part of my job is working outdoors and not sitting at a desk all day. – less
Contract position
Team Admin (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 14, 2013
Loved the people and the place, learned alot and got to see alot.
Great place to grow
Team leader (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: great pay, good people, lots of room to grow
Cons: long hours, constant change, remote living location
Syncrude is a great place to work the sky is the limit if you want to put the work in, I have been with the company six years now and have been given every chance to succeed.
Paladin Security (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 1, 2012
Pros: when buses are on time, you don't get docked pay
Cons: long hours and long bus ride
Not the best place to work for the money that is involved!! Could definitely pay more.
Interesting job. Good atmosphere.
Contract commissioning and start-up operator (Current Employee), SERP North of Ft.Mac. Alb.May 13, 2012
Pros: good people to work with. interesting job.
Cons: hours cut back
Commissioning various pieces of equipment and systems.
Learn new things each day as challenges appear.
Management is very helpful and approachable at all times.
Co-workers are easy to get along with and eager to help.
Hardest part of job is getting parts on a timely basis.
Most enjoyable part of job is seeing the project advance despite numerable setbacks – more... and challenges. – less