Syncrude Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Lab tech co-op term
lab technician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: bus ride to work
Cons: bus ride to work
Good experience learning various pieces of analytical equipment's for different areas of extraction, mining and waters labs. Lots of standing during the day but coworkers made the day very enjoyable
good pay
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 21, 2015
its a good place to work to learn lots of different pieces of equipment. they treat you really bad adn dont trust anyone. but they pay really well so cant go wrong with that.
An office-type workplace with a chem lab
Summer Student Program (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 25, 2015
Since I am studying chemistry, I liked that I got the chance to work in the chem lab itself. I got to observe the workplace and sometimes, even go into the lab to work.
I enjoyed my time at syncrude
Process Operator (Former Employee), fort mcmurraySeptember 12, 2015
I thought synced was a good place to work. they are also very accommodating, and they would give you lots of little trinkets and gifts(coffee mugs, utility knives etc) the pay was competitive and the benefits were excellent. slower rate of advancement though
Great job opportunity and advancement
Process Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Very promising jobs and also good and safe working place. There are lots of opportunities for growth and advancement. Very good benefits for worker as well as families.
great place to learn
Cost Control Specialist (Former Employee), fort McmurrayJuly 29, 2015
Pros: summer bbq
Cons: travel distance
One of the best companies i have worked for.During my work time i have learned so much from so many experienced and great people.
good place
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2015
Pros: good managment
Cons: cold in winter
a lot of smart people work there.

Wage is great.

They have a good handle on reliability engineering.

long commute by bus everyday but the ride is free.
Productive and fun
Westcorp maintenance worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2015
It was fun and productive working at Syncrude and everyday was a learning day from everyone at Syncrude including the management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the fun and comfort of all the people to be around.
overall a secure company
Construction/Production Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKMarch 21, 2015
Pros: wage
Cons: enviroment
employees are afraid to voice opinion,no one listens anyway
to many buddy buddy management in place
hard to change roles
team leads with no experience in field of position
Productive and busy
Buyer (Former Employee), Woodbuffalo, ABJanuary 15, 2015
The job was good. Interactions with end users and suppliers/providers were good. interesting, fun, and also challenging. It was also fulfilling when you helped/solved/met the problem/needs of the end users and also when the suppliers were cooperative for the correct specs of the needed items.

I learned that building good relationships with end users and providers will make the processing of the end results easier and faster. Also, understanding the organizational relationship will help the processing faster.

The organization management needed to know the systems and procedures and rules/responsibility of every group/subgroup to have a productive delegation of responsibility/authority.

The co-workers were nice and all of us needed to know the organizations business processes/procedures,the quality management system/

The hardest part of the job was when the need was started originally by another buyer and the end user followed up due to delays.

The most enjoyable part was building relationships with end users and providers as forming a great team with different groups through telecommunication.
great coop program
PROCESS CONTROL ENGINEER (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 30, 2014
Pros: good pay, helpful coworkers, organized system
Cons: work/live in a harsh weather
they assign you a mentor who will be available to answer your questions, give you interesting assignments and guide you through work when you need
Lots of fun
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 8, 2014
Pros: best contractor to work for out here
Cons: lots of politics
They changed to Clearstream now!I am thankful to them who allowed me to prove my expertise on equipment getting on at Syncrude.
Interesting and Challenging
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 8, 2014
Pros: solitary operation with minimal supervision
Cons: incessant chatter on the radio
A typical 12-hr shift started with being refreshed and a long commute. Equipment required a walkaround before careful operation depending on conditions. Hazards included weather, operating surface of haul roads, dumps and shovel pits, and support equipment.

Most enjoyable was that every day was a learning experience as conditions changed and operators styles differed. Some dozers required you to dump closer than others, some expected you to back up farther than cabin-to-cabin. New dumps were created constantly.

The most difficult part of the job was the weather which could wreak havoc on the roads. It required intense concentration to operate on slippery haul roads and soft dumps.
Poor Management
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Tech (Former Employee), AuroraFebruary 13, 2014
Inexperienced people in positions of management. Buddy system heavily influences advancement in the company instead of actual qualifications and experience for the role.
Years at Syncrude Canada
Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 2, 2014
Maintaining and tracking the training for the trades people in Extraction. In my job, I had to deal with upper and lower management. My fellow workers were great to work with and I received a lot of respect from them. Making sure the apprentices and trades people were getting the correct training and staying safe was the most enjoyable and rewarding part of my job.
N/A
3rd class Power Engineer (Former Employee), Mildred LakeNovember 17, 2013
Do not work for syncrude unless you really want to be depressed. They treat most employees very poorly.
Student Wages Low
Mechanical Engineer - Student (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 15, 2013
-Student wages less than unskilled laborers
-Fort McMurray is not for everyone
Good places to work
Plumber Pipefitter (Current Employee), AlbertaJune 3, 2013
Pros: good
Cons: good
A typical day at work is a good hard safe day dont mind long hours. How to do a good neat safe job.leaveing home.getting paid
decent place to work
Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: older equipment
overall i enjoyed my time there and learned a lot of valuable skills.
An excellent employer
B Welder/Maintenance Tech/Turnaround coordinator (Former Employee), Milderd Lake,AuroraFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: a rewarding, challenging, enjoyable career.
Cons: i'll work with them too
As a former emplyee of Syncrude Canada and now having worked outside the fold,I have come to realize how fortunate I was to be constantly challenged,rewarded,and made to feel a part of a team.I was exposed to a wide variety of tasks after passing competency tests of course.
We would start everyday with a headcount/safety/job assignment meeting,then crew delegation and finally tool assessment and ensuring safety requirements before proceeding to the field.After formal/informal discussion with management /supervision we often discovered they were onboard with mutually agreed upon plans for execution,and often exceeded their support/recognition requirements.
Overall I would have to say that my employment at Syncrude Canada at Mildred Lake,Aurora were some of the most job satisfying years in my working career.As I also worked at their sites as a contractor,I often looked at Syncrude in a comparative view and found them the foremost employer with much superior values and support of their employees.I would gladly accept a return to their workforce should they require my services.
To me the hardest part of my job with Syncrude was leaving them,but as I was in the middle of a messy divorce my focus was not on my job and found it unfair to a more than fair employer,I had to self terminate,a decision I have come to regret with each passing day.
The most rewarding part of my years with Syncrude were the years working in a team enviroment with a diverse gathering of very interesting people whose main objective was not only to maintain but to lead through innovative projects such as EAPS(later – more... named HYDRO-Transport),TOR, IPS,NRU,and these were just some of the projects I was a part of.
I have recently submitted a resume to recruiting and remain hopeful for a return engagement,but as employment is key to my remaining in Fort McMurray I must be ever on the lookout for an employer which will not measure up to, but hopefully strive to compare with Syncrude Canada. – less