Syncrude Canada

Syncrude Canada Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor Management
Journeyman Heavy Equipment Tech (Former Employee), AuroraFebruary 13, 2014
Inexperienced people in positions of management. Buddy system heavily influences advancement in the company instead of actual qualifications and experience for the role.
Years at Syncrude Canada
Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 2, 2014
Maintaining and tracking the training for the trades people in Extraction. In my job, I had to deal with upper and lower management. My fellow workers were great to work with and I received a lot of respect from them. Making sure the apprentices and trades people were getting the correct training and staying safe was the most enjoyable and rewarding – more... part of my job. – less
N/A
3rd class Power Engineer (Former Employee), Mildred LakeNovember 17, 2013
Do not work for syncrude unless you really want to be depressed. They treat most employees very poorly.
Student Wages Low
Mechanical Engineer - Student (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 15, 2013
-Student wages less than unskilled laborers
-Fort McMurray is not for everyone
Good places to work
Plumber Pipefitter (Current Employee), AlbertaJune 3, 2013
Pros: good
Cons: good
A typical day at work is a good hard safe day dont mind long hours. How to do a good neat safe job.leaveing home.getting paid
decent place to work
Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: older equipment
overall i enjoyed my time there and learned a lot of valuable skills.
An excellent employer
B Welder/Maintenance Tech/Turnaround coordinator (Former Employee), Milderd Lake,AuroraFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: a rewarding, challenging, enjoyable career.
Cons: i'll work with them too
As a former emplyee of Syncrude Canada and now having worked outside the fold,I have come to realize how fortunate I was to be constantly challenged,rewarded,and made to feel a part of a team.I was exposed to a wide variety of tasks after passing competency tests of course.
We would start everyday with a headcount/safety/job assignment meeting,then – more... crew delegation and finally tool assessment and ensuring safety requirements before proceeding to the field.After formal/informal discussion with management /supervision we often discovered they were onboard with mutually agreed upon plans for execution,and often exceeded their support/recognition requirements.
Overall I would have to say that my employment at Syncrude Canada at Mildred Lake,Aurora were some of the most job satisfying years in my working career.As I also worked at their sites as a contractor,I often looked at Syncrude in a comparative view and found them the foremost employer with much superior values and support of their employees.I would gladly accept a return to their workforce should they require my services.
To me the hardest part of my job with Syncrude was leaving them,but as I was in the middle of a messy divorce my focus was not on my job and found it unfair to a more than fair employer,I had to self terminate,a decision I have come to regret with each passing day.
The most rewarding part of my years with Syncrude were the years working in a team enviroment with a diverse gathering of very interesting people whose main objective was not only to maintain but to lead through innovative projects such as EAPS(later named HYDRO-Transport),TOR, IPS,NRU,and these were just some of the projects I was a part of.
I have recently submitted a resume to recruiting and remain hopeful for a return engagement,but as employment is key to my remaining in Fort McMurray I must be ever on the lookout for an employer which will not measure up to, but hopefully strive to compare with Syncrude Canada. – less
Great place to gain valuable experience in process operation
Process Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 17, 2012
After receiving a detailed log and relief of what happened on my post the previous shift, we go straight into a tool box talk, in which we discuss various things. Such as any safety issues, what we got for relief, if there is any maintenance coming up that requires any isolation, or if maintenance has signed off the work and we can de-isolate equipment.

After – more... the toolbox talk we generally upload our intellitrac's which gives us our daily monitoring guides and our reading sheets. While I wait for the intellitrac to upload I log into a computer to check my emails, as I am pump champion, and the overtime scheduler for my team. Once I have scanned through my emails and my intellitrac is ready I go outside for my first round.

On first round of the unit we gather the information required for the reading sheet on the intellitrac as well as complete the monitoring guides. We also gas test, and sign for any safe work permits that may have been issued.We look for any unsafe conditions, such as ice build up, leaking valves, etc while we also look at our equipment assigned to our post for any deterioration, or signs of malfunction. If I happen to find something, I either fix it, if its within my ability to do it safely, or I put in a work notification to get the proper resources to come in and fix the problem.

I do at least 3 separate unit rounds per shift, too ensure the safe operation of my post. Since I have started at Syncrude I have learned the importance of attention to detail, as it is often the slightest detail out on the unit that will make the difference between safe operation and a unit upset or worse.

The most enjoyable part for me about my career has to be that everyday is different and i will never stop learning something new. As our daily routines are never the same. – less
re: Great Oil company
Chemical Technologist (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 1, 2012
Syncrude Canada was a fun place to work at. Management cared about the team and individual advancement. People from around the world made the work environment a diverse learning experience!
challenging and secure workplace
Process Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 12, 2012
Responsible for unit rounds, samples, equipment isolations, and just daily monitering of running units.
Production & Contracts Leader (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 9, 2012
Pros: good wages
Cons: long hours, housing is expensive, family life suffers
Alot of role changing without consent of employees , Would like to see upper management take more ideas from younger generation , other than that a good place to work
Good employers good benefits
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 18, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Good employers good benefits good managment co workers are great
Not very challenging
Team Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 27, 2012
Pros: schedule of 4 on and 4 off
Cons: not challenging
Found the days were long and not much to occupy yourself with. Management was unable to provide (due to cost controls) any further education to be able to advance. Not enough duties in a day to fill a 12 hr day
Great experience. IT department is now being outsourced.
Senior Project Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayApril 25, 2012
Pros: constantly expanding.
Cons: it department being transitioned to exxonmobil
Work at Syncrude for 11 year as a Senior Project Manager in their IT department. It was a great experience until recently (Last 6 months). The IT department has been outsourced to Exxon Mobil and they are down sizing.

Syncrude Canada Photos