Syncrude Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

REAL good culture
Process Panel Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 28, 2016
Wish I was still there, great people and plenty of opportunities. It did not take much travel time getting there, which is a bonus in Fort Mac.
Pros
Close to town not long to spend on highway 63.
dust and dirt bring smiles
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 25, 2016
Working for Syncrude was really working with family. I spent more time with my co-workers at the job,then my actual family. The schedules required long work days. From changing out valves in -40'c, too hosing down towers covered in Bituman with 100'c water at +35'c. we always found the light side of things to keep us smiling. It was a job that thrived on team work, and good moral. When equipment was failing you could always count on your co-workers to show up and give a hand with the support of management only a radio call away. The hands on learning and mechanical knowledge gained, was the greatest part of the job for me.
Pros
free shower after a long work day
Cons
way from the family 15 hours a day
Good Experience
Quality Assurance Lead (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB / Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
Good working relationship, good experience, co-workers were easy to work with, Management communicated effectively and clear instructions available.
Good place to start your career.
Technical Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 25, 2016
You will get a lot of interesting things and stuff to learn, it is a unique place to work, you are working in three industries at the same time, Mining & Extraction & Refinery...

In general your co-workers are friendly and willing to assist you when needed, in short one big family....

Your performance rating mostly depends on your visibility and not on your achievements. Most managers are people who love doing funny stuff only

There are lots of challenges and solving them is the most enjoyable part of Syncrude site.....
Pros
One place with three deferint industries' experiences
Cons
Too much " Red tapes" bariers and minimum support from management
well managed work sites, and teams
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Very good job turnover time, well managed and not pushed in any unsafe matters towards completing the job. Syncrude is a great company whom fort mcmurray is happy to have.
Greatest group of people I could want to work with
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 19, 2016
Days seemed to get a little monotonous when you were placed on one task for too long but there was periodic rotation. The people made it a great place to work, always good to joke around with and get the job done at the same time. There is so much managerial bureaucracy that even goes as far as to make production inefficient. Hardest part of the job was actually finding something to do when we were in the slow season. Loved getting a change to rotate onto different pieces of equipment for more experience.
Pros
Free coffee every morning
Cons
Administration is next to useless
Good place to work. Suffering from low oil prices like anywhere else.
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 20, 2016
I worked there for 18 years and the people make it a great place to work. The management changed hands a few years ago and the focus seemed to move away from production efficiency and more towards maximum short term profit. Unfortunately the new management lacked faith in the ability of the existing staff and infrastructure to continue running the plant in a sufficiently profitable manner and they made many changes. This lead to the plant profits decreasing consistently over the remaining years and now they are looking for any and all ways to slash operating costs, including the layoffs of many long term experienced employees. As of right now, the plant is in the middle of a takeover bid from a competing plant and all signs lean towards the success of the bid. I will sorely miss working there as I made many good friends and acquaintances.
Pros
Excellent people, friendly and outgoing.
Cons
Poor leadership decisions.
Lab tech co-op term
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Good experience learning various pieces of analytical equipment's for different areas of extraction, mining and waters labs. Lots of standing during the day but coworkers made the day very enjoyable
Pros
bus ride to work
Cons
bus ride to work
good pay
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 21, 2015
its a good place to work to learn lots of different pieces of equipment. they treat you really bad adn dont trust anyone. but they pay really well so cant go wrong with that.
An office-type workplace with a chem lab
Summer Student Program (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 25, 2015
Since I am studying chemistry, I liked that I got the chance to work in the chem lab itself. I got to observe the workplace and sometimes, even go into the lab to work.
I enjoyed my time at syncrude
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurraySeptember 12, 2015
I thought synced was a good place to work. they are also very accommodating, and they would give you lots of little trinkets and gifts(coffee mugs, utility knives etc) the pay was competitive and the benefits were excellent. slower rate of advancement though
Great job opportunity and advancement
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 2, 2015
Very promising jobs and also good and safe working place. There are lots of opportunities for growth and advancement. Very good benefits for worker as well as families.
great place to learn
Cost Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  fort McmurrayJuly 29, 2015
One of the best companies i have worked for.During my work time i have learned so much from so many experienced and great people.
Pros
summer bbq
Cons
travel distance
good place
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 8, 2015
a lot of smart people work there.

Wage is great.

They have a good handle on reliability engineering.

long commute by bus everyday but the ride is free.
Pros
good managment
Cons
cold in winter
Productive and fun
Westcorp maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2015
It was fun and productive working at Syncrude and everyday was a learning day from everyone at Syncrude including the management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the fun and comfort of all the people to be around.
overall a secure company
Construction/Production Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKMarch 21, 2015
employees are afraid to voice opinion,no one listens anyway
to many buddy buddy management in place
hard to change roles
team leads with no experience in field of position
Pros
wage
Cons
enviroment
Productive and busy
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Woodbuffalo, ABJanuary 15, 2015
The job was good. Interactions with end users and suppliers/providers were good. interesting, fun, and also challenging. It was also fulfilling when you helped/solved/met the problem/needs of the end users and also when the suppliers were cooperative for the correct specs of the needed items.

I learned that building good relationships with end users and providers will make the processing of the end results easier and faster. Also, understanding the organizational relationship will help the processing faster.

The organization management needed to know the systems and procedures and rules/responsibility of every group/subgroup to have a productive delegation of responsibility/authority.

The co-workers were nice and all of us needed to know the organizations business processes/procedures,the quality management system/

The hardest part of the job was when the need was started originally by another buyer and the end user followed up due to delays.

The most enjoyable part was building relationships with end users and providers as forming a great team with different groups through telecommunication.
great coop program
PROCESS CONTROL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 30, 2014
they assign you a mentor who will be available to answer your questions, give you interesting assignments and guide you through work when you need
Pros
good pay, helpful coworkers, organized system
Cons
work/live in a harsh weather
Lots of fun
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 8, 2014
They changed to Clearstream now!I am thankful to them who allowed me to prove my expertise on equipment getting on at Syncrude.
Pros
best contractor to work for out here
Cons
lots of politics
Interesting and Challenging
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 8, 2014
A typical 12-hr shift started with being refreshed and a long commute. Equipment required a walkaround before careful operation depending on conditions. Hazards included weather, operating surface of haul roads, dumps and shovel pits, and support equipment.

Most enjoyable was that every day was a learning experience as conditions changed and operators styles differed. Some dozers required you to dump closer than others, some expected you to back up farther than cabin-to-cabin. New dumps were created constantly.

The most difficult part of the job was the weather which could wreak havoc on the roads. It required intense concentration to operate on slippery haul roads and soft dumps.
Pros
solitary operation with minimal supervision
Cons
incessant chatter on the radio