SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very good place of employment,very safe work enviroment.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 2, 2012
Pros: nice awards.good lunches, good people
Cons: wet weather was boring and dangerous and less productive, everyone had to be very attentive to what they were doing.
To start the day i was to to fill out today's job task analysis form for the job at hand,while having coffee,then pre - equipment checks,before i start working,if any deficiency's it would be called in to whom it may concerned. If none i would carry on a normal operation.
In the middle of the shift the shift supervisor would make a fleet call to update production and inquire of any safety concerns that may have been observed during the shift,workers were also motivated to report safety issues as they would occur.If any it would be dealt with ASAP.
Then if we were having a slower productive day than usual the supervisor would ask for input from the field workers to solve what ever was causing the slow down,it maybe the weather road conditions or maybe new people being trained,In any case he had to have an answer to account for the loss of production.
In a team enviroment everyone was trained to help each other out.
Then finally shift change comes along hot change the bus let the operators off and and operators on put no equipment moved until the buses cleared the work area,
Then it was a much deserved rest after a 12 hour shift and all the laughter of the fun day, and sometimes silly mistakes made during the shift but nothing serious.
Office was located in the center of the Syncrude Mine in Fort McMurray, adequate office environment, nice group of co-workers
Direct Buying, Materials & Services Department (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 19, 2013
Pros: supportive team manager, friendly coworkers, good salary and benefits
Cons: mine site location and taking company bus to work every day
A typical day involved receiving requests from various departments in the Mine to purchase materials. I prepared RFQ's and RFI's for a variety of products ranging from Cable Tractors, Diggers, Valves, rental equipment and fleet vehicles. Any sort of request for a one-off purchase could come your way.

The hardest part of the job was that the company was revising it's purchasing guidelines, so it was difficult to explain the new procedures to the other mine departments and attain their buy-in. And it resulted in extra paperwork and approval for each proposal.

The management and staff were very professional and supportive and there was a strong sense of team.

It was hard to adapt to a concise work schedule, meaning it was strange to have to stop work at a certain time everyday to be able to catch your transportation back to town. Regardless of what issue you were dealing with at the time.

I learned that I am able to learn new processes quickly, adapt to new environments and create relationships with a broad spectrum of people.
Productive and a fun workplace with a fish tank in the lobby area
Chemical Technologist (Junior) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2012
Pros: excellent pay rate
Cons: long equipment maintenance
A typical day at work can include, but not limited to analyzing oil sand samples using the Dean Stark Method of extracting bitumen from water and solids that make up each sample. From the length of time that I spent there, I learned that to be part of a team means for each member to do their part to earn their keep, to take initiative when appropiate and that it never hurts to ask questions to your supervisor when you are unsure of how a specific method works in certain situations. Management was always very courteous and always happy to be of assistance when required to be and my fellow co-workers were very helpful and kind when I needed to learn about my daily duties. The hardest part of the job by far was learning about certain equipment used for Coarse Particule Analysis as some of the equipment required special treatment in order to clean and maintain before and after use of samples. The most enjoyable part of the job by far was learning about the different equipment used in the laboratories for different purposes as well as getting to know my fellow co-workers both during work and at lunch/break when appropiate.
Engineering Co-op Student
Engineering Co-op Student (Field Engineer) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 4, 2015
Pros: Everything but the travel
Cons: Working in rural areas
• Participate in any Action Plans, Safe Work Plans, Risk Assessments (RA’s), Management of Changes (MOC’s), etc, as directed by the Project/Construction Manager
• Review, appraise and provide input into the contractor’s construction engineering work packages, technical submittals, construction plan, and schedule, use of construction materials, tools and equipment and work procedures.
• Participate and lead resolution of field changes that may occur during the execution of the project, as directed by the Project/Construction Manager. This includes manage the RFI (Request for Information) log and responses to minimize RFI turnaround time and appropriateness of RFI’s. If needed work closely with Project Engineer in resolving RFI's
• Take part in weekly site visits to check for any safety issues that may pose a risk to personnel and construction issues that may pose a risk to people or the execution of the project
Great learning experience.
Student Process Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 14, 2014
Pros: opportunity for overtime.
Cons: being a student during my time there, would rather be a full employee.
I had my first exposure to being a process operator during my time at Syncrude as a student operator. Syncrude gave me lots of experience and also gave me the opportunity to qualify on my unit if I applied myself.

My management and co-workers were great to work with. My typical day consisted of doing my operating rounds, checking pumps and equipment and responding to process upsets or adjustments from the panel operator. I was responsible for monitoring my pumps and compressor, making adjustments to the feed furnaces and tower, and isolating/ de-isolating equipment.

The hardest part of the job was leaving when my contract ended and I had to return to school for my third class power engineering certificate.
It is a fine place to work the people are great to work with
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray AB.August 12, 2012
Pros: you get paid to ride the bus to work
Cons: long days
The people are good to work with and the direct management is supportive and good to work with as I am only a casual employee I Can't answer salary or benefits a typical day starts by getting on the bus at 6am riding an hour to work starting at 7:30 driving until 7:30 pmI have learned What kinds of dirt you need on structures ,how to back to shovels and dozers the value of tires and how valuable safety is the hardest part of the job is keeping your self in the moment for 12 hrs. I love operating equipment
Great work life balance with exceptional salary and benefits. Lack of clarity in direction, coupled with fast pace of change.
HR Advisor Corporate Learning & Development (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 31, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, exceptional salary and benefits
Cons: fast pace of change without clear communication channels
Working in Syncrude has been a great experience for me in terms of learning about the oil and gas sector in Canada. I was fortunate to be an integral part of major projects in 2014. My major accomplishments include Development of Leadership Framework and Behaviours Scale-the first of its kind in 50 year history of Syncrude; Preparation of Technical & Core Competencies for HR Professionals, Creation of ROI and other mechanisms for measuring training and consulting activities.
Old plant, rude people.
process operator (Former Employee), fort mcmurraySeptember 11, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: everything else
if you have a chance to work at another oil sands site your best off taking it, was lied to by management, permit office had some of the most rude people I have ever worked with in my life. job itself was ok, pay was ok, long days, alot of people that worked there didn't seem to really want to be there, training was a mess, best have some experience if you go there as there is very little experience to learn from. All they want to hire it seems are kids right out of school.

avoid if you can.
Very rewarding organization from work, challenges and compensation perspwective.
Sr. Global Strategic Planning Advisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AB - ExxonMobil, at Fairfax VAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: excellent work opportunities, growth potential and great compensation
Cons: located in a remote cold location, work is often demanding which is good and bad
I worked for this organization for 26 years and have greatly enjoyed. Leaving company with early retirement decision was based on my personal circumstances.

Organization offers work challenging environment and growth opportunities. Senior management is well tuned with the organization and extends very rewarding work environment.

Last 2 years I was seconded to ExxonMobil reporting to Fairfax Virginia office.
Syncrude is in a period of change from one corporate culture to another
Planner / Scheduler (Current Employee), fort mcmurray albertaApril 29, 2012
Pros: free bussing
Cons: corporate change
typical day at work is very busy with many new employees trying to cope with the requirements of day to day planning and scheduling.
I have learned planning and scheduling for shovels in SAP and Primavera.
My coworkers are awesome and great to be with.

Management in my area is focussed on the implementation of SAP and losing sight of the people costs related to the massive culture cnge that is occurring.

hardest part of job is the incredible workload

most enjoyable is the people that i work with.
goodAS LONG AS THERE IS WORK TO GET DONE. when theres work theres lots of cash to be made. done my family well
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2015
would never go back to running cable tray and pulling cable after working maintenance at syncrude. union was good when I knew no better, but do nothing for you really as long as there is jobs on the board.ready to take your union dues after each month although.
Outstanding work place with visionary executive team
Senior Advisor Research Programs (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 21, 2012
Pros: career development, high expectations, freedom for self expression
This was my best professional experiance thus far. I had an opportunity to fully express myself, to optimize my potential and to fully contribute. I was able to do research and at the same time application - commercialization of it. Such a TEAM work! Such FUN! Thank you Syncrude
not bad place to work
SAP Clerk (Contract/temporary) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: they pay you good, they also pay you travel allowance to take a coach bus to work
Cons: job security
worked in fort mcmurray alberta at syncrude oil sands.
job was not bad,did normal admin work and some data entry.
living out in alberta is too pricey, and whatever i made pretty much went to rent and i couldn't save anything.
Great position with extreme challenges.
Senior Process / Control Room operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2014
Pros: heath and safety was a top priority.
Cons: fly in fly out was not an option.
Interesting and challenging position. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills. As control room operator I was challenged every shift to meet production quotas. Teamwork was essential and success was only realized when we all worked together as a team.
good place to work
Process Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 6, 2015
Pros: large lunch room with free meals once and a while
Cons: lack of work vehicles
having our own work vehicle on site to do our checks and maintain our units without any interruptions
supervisors would provide meals as a thank you for maintaining your units in a timely manner
Productive and fun workplace with hardworking co-workers
heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: doing a job i love
Cons: taking the bus to work everyday
co-workers were amazing to work with, always there to help when you need it. I loved learning new things everyday about mechanics, it was an amazing experience
In my role I have met a lot of nice people,
SH&E Safety Advisor/SH&E Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurrayAugust 4, 2013
Continually on the go
To be patient, learn life is an adventure
Okay
Co-workers are okay
Hardest part of the job is to stay focused/need a new challenge
Meeting people
Good for engineering
Occupational Hygiene Co-Op Student (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Syncrude is a good place to gain experience as an entry level engineer. Salary and benefits are good. Some organizational issues. Work hours are good for office staff (8hrs) + free transportation from town to the site.
very family like comunity
summer student (Former Employee), Fort mcmurrayMay 24, 2012
Pros: bus you out to site
Cons: could become repetative
it was a good summer job the company is great and very respectful as well as the workers, however since i was a summer student i did not get a big variety of work.
Productive and fun workplace with small Gym
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: sometimes free lunches
Cons: long hours
Can utilize my skill & knowledge, professional work atmosphere, Friendly supervisor, People are respected each other. Has small gym. We can stretch yourself for a while.