SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD

SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Engineering Co-op Student
Engineering Co-op Student (Field Engineer) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 4, 2015
Pros: Everything but the travel
Cons: Working in rural areas
• Participate in any Action Plans, Safe Work Plans, Risk Assessments (RA’s), Management of Changes (MOC’s), etc, as directed by the Project/Construction Manager
• Review, appraise and provide input into the contractor’s construction engineering work packages, technical submittals, construction plan, and schedule, use of construction materials, tools and equipment and work procedures.
• Participate and lead resolution of field changes that may occur during the execution of the project, as directed by the Project/Construction Manager. This includes manage the RFI (Request for Information) log and responses to minimize RFI turnaround time and appropriateness of RFI’s. If needed work closely with Project Engineer in resolving RFI's
• Take part in weekly site visits to check for any safety issues that may pose a risk to personnel and construction issues that may pose a risk to people or the execution of the project
Great work life balance with exceptional salary and benefits. Lack of clarity in direction, coupled with fast pace of change.
HR Advisor Corporate Learning & Development (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 31, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, exceptional salary and benefits
Cons: fast pace of change without clear communication channels
Working in Syncrude has been a great experience for me in terms of learning about the oil and gas sector in Canada. I was fortunate to be an integral part of major projects in 2014. My major accomplishments include Development of Leadership Framework and Behaviours Scale-the first of its kind in 50 year history of Syncrude; Preparation of Technical & Core Competencies for HR Professionals, Creation of ROI and other mechanisms for measuring training and consulting activities.
Great learning experience.
Student Process Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 14, 2014
Pros: opportunity for overtime.
Cons: being a student during my time there, would rather be a full employee.
I had my first exposure to being a process operator during my time at Syncrude as a student operator. Syncrude gave me lots of experience and also gave me the opportunity to qualify on my unit if I applied myself.

My management and co-workers were great to work with. My typical day consisted of doing my operating rounds, checking pumps and equipment and responding to process upsets or adjustments from the panel operator. I was responsible for monitoring my pumps and compressor, making adjustments to the feed furnaces and tower, and isolating/ de-isolating equipment.

The hardest part of the job was leaving when my contract ended and I had to return to school for my third class power engineering certificate.
Nice place and fun loving people
Project Material Specialist (Project Operations) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray ABNovember 11, 2014
Lots of excitement
Good place to learn and make career growth
team admin
Team Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 27, 2014
I worked for this company a long time I enjoyed the company and experience that I have received I would be interested in working for this company again in the Edmonton area again
Great position with extreme challenges.
Senior Process / Control Room operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2014
Pros: heath and safety was a top priority.
Cons: fly in fly out was not an option.
Interesting and challenging position. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills. As control room operator I was challenged every shift to meet production quotas. Teamwork was essential and success was only realized when we all worked together as a team.
Old plant, rude people.
process operator (Former Employee), fort mcmurraySeptember 11, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: everything else
if you have a chance to work at another oil sands site your best off taking it, was lied to by management, permit office had some of the most rude people I have ever worked with in my life. job itself was ok, pay was ok, long days, alot of people that worked there didn't seem to really want to be there, training was a mess, best have some experience if you go there as there is very little experience to learn from. All they want to hire it seems are kids right out of school.

avoid if you can.
syncrude-power engineer/process operator
Process Operator (Current Employee), fort mcmurrayMay 7, 2014
Pros: great schedule, pay, benefits, bonuses
Cons: not a small company managerially run as the large corporation it is
Syncrude is a great employer, great benefits, pay, and bonuses/ savings plans.
Great place to work with some minor cons
Project Development / Sr. Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2014
Great work atmosphere, approachable management with sound practices, lots of emphasis on safety. Onus is on employees to seek change.
fun
Instrument Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 13, 2014
Had worked continue 6 hrs to troubleshoot one loop.
troubleshoot problem with patience
Lead whole crew for particular job
Trained apprentices and new technicians
Extreme cold and windy job place
Working in team
Productive and fun workplace with small Gym
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: sometimes free lunches
Cons: long hours
Can utilize my skill & knowledge, professional work atmosphere, Friendly supervisor, People are respected each other. Has small gym. We can stretch yourself for a while.
Very rewarding organization from work, challenges and compensation perspwective.
Sr. Global Strategic Planning Advisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AB - ExxonMobil, at Fairfax VAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: excellent work opportunities, growth potential and great compensation
Cons: located in a remote cold location, work is often demanding which is good and bad
I worked for this organization for 26 years and have greatly enjoyed. Leaving company with early retirement decision was based on my personal circumstances.

Organization offers work challenging environment and growth opportunities. Senior management is well tuned with the organization and extends very rewarding work environment.

Last 2 years I was seconded to ExxonMobil reporting to Fairfax Virginia office.
Enjoyed work pressures specially turnaround and shutdown seasons.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee), Main Plant SiteDecember 15, 2013
Pros: diversified to pick and drop
Cons: provision of overtime
Stayed for around 8-months and enjoyed working with team of procurement and Manager procurement.
not good...
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2013
a lot of uneducated and rude people are ruining this company...
In my role I have met a lot of nice people,
SH&E Safety Advisor/SH&E Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurrayAugust 4, 2013
Continually on the go
To be patient, learn life is an adventure
Okay
Co-workers are okay
Hardest part of the job is to stay focused/need a new challenge
Meeting people
Advanced laboratory techniques used for analysis
Chemical Technologist, Operations Laboratory (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 26, 2013
Safety attentive workplace
Good workplace for laboratory experience
Very strict rules for contractors BUT good for permanent
Office was located in the center of the Syncrude Mine in Fort McMurray, adequate office environment, nice group of co-workers
Direct Buying, Materials & Services Department (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 19, 2013
Pros: supportive team manager, friendly coworkers, good salary and benefits
Cons: mine site location and taking company bus to work every day
A typical day involved receiving requests from various departments in the Mine to purchase materials. I prepared RFQ's and RFI's for a variety of products ranging from Cable Tractors, Diggers, Valves, rental equipment and fleet vehicles. Any sort of request for a one-off purchase could come your way.

The hardest part of the job was that the company was revising it's purchasing guidelines, so it was difficult to explain the new procedures to the other mine departments and attain their buy-in. And it resulted in extra paperwork and approval for each proposal.

The management and staff were very professional and supportive and there was a strong sense of team.

It was hard to adapt to a concise work schedule, meaning it was strange to have to stop work at a certain time everyday to be able to catch your transportation back to town. Regardless of what issue you were dealing with at the time.

I learned that I am able to learn new processes quickly, adapt to new environments and create relationships with a broad spectrum of people.
Very safety oriented company!
Millwright (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 16, 2013
Pros: alot of overtime
Cons: travel was tiring sometimes
Worked with hard working people from all over the world! The travel was tiring at times but the benefits were excellent!
Great Company to work for
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: great wages
Cons: n/a
Syncrude Canada was my first employer as a journeyman. The company salary I was offered was great, and the benefits too.
I made a decision to leave this company to gain more experience in other fields. This was a difficult company to leave.
What I learned
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 25, 2013
They were ok to work for. good shift. awesome pay and benefits.