SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews in Canada

Safe, fast , and productive
Millwright apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 22, 2016
-Providing general maintenance on pumps and turbines.
-Various technical skills like timing pimps and setting mechanical seals.
-Worked with great groups of individuals.
Great group of people
Heavy Equipment Operator, Dewatering (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 19, 2016
There was always a good days work to be put in, co-workers were always joking around and easy to talk to which made the days go faster. Management sometimes had too many levels and became infective. Great opportunity to rotate to different kinds of equipment and gain experience.
Pros
Great people and excellent benefits
Cons
Management Bureaucracy
Productive, safe and educational learning experience
Mobile Machinery Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 12, 2016
As a co-op student at Syncrude I had experience with the reliability management of Syncrude's mobile machinery fleet. I gained both technical understanding and hands on experience with the fleet. Working at Syncrude, there were a diverse group of people with different backgrounds and profession and being able to work with them improved my communication skills
Pros
Fast paced learning enviroment
Cons
Working away from family
Good for engineering
Occupational Hygiene Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 4, 2016
Syncrude is a good place to gain experience as an entry level engineer. Salary and benefits are good. Some organizational issues. Work hours are good for office staff (8hrs) + free transportation from town to the site.
good place to work
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 6, 2015
having our own work vehicle on site to do our checks and maintain our units without any interruptions
supervisors would provide meals as a thank you for maintaining your units in a timely manner
Pros
large lunch room with free meals once and a while
Cons
lack of work vehicles
Lab technologist Co-op
Lab Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 10, 2015
Good place to work during a co-op term. Lots of good experience and lots of great people to work with. The job was located at the main lab at the syncrude main plant.
Productive and fun workplace with hardworking co-workers
heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 2, 2015
co-workers were amazing to work with, always there to help when you need it. I loved learning new things everyday about mechanics, it was an amazing experience
Pros
doing a job i love
Cons
taking the bus to work everyday
goodAS LONG AS THERE IS WORK TO GET DONE. when theres work theres lots of cash to be made. done my family well
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2015
would never go back to running cable tray and pulling cable after working maintenance at syncrude. union was good when I knew no better, but do nothing for you really as long as there is jobs on the board.ready to take your union dues after each month although.
Great Coop Student program
Heavy Equipment Technician- Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 2, 2015
Excellent place to apply skills learned through school. Helps solidify knowledge into hands on training. Co-workers were very positive and helped with any feedback needed.
not bad place to work
SAP Clerk (Contract/temporary) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 3, 2015
worked in fort mcmurray alberta at syncrude oil sands.
job was not bad,did normal admin work and some data entry.
living out in alberta is too pricey, and whatever i made pretty much went to rent and i couldn't save anything.
Pros
they pay you good, they also pay you travel allowance to take a coach bus to work
Cons
job security
safe and productive great place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 6, 2015
safety is always number one, gained lots of experience operating equipment in all areas of the mine. learned new skills operating different equipment
Pros
great people, great atmosphere. challenging sometimes and good all of the time
Great money poor organization
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 27, 2015
The people make the place ok to work for. The jobs are dirty the organization non existent but boy do they compensate you for it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long days, poor management
Engineering Co-op Student
Engineering Co-op Student (Field Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 4, 2015
• Participate in any Action Plans, Safe Work Plans, Risk Assessments (RA’s), Management of Changes (MOC’s), etc, as directed by the Project/Construction Manager
• Review, appraise and provide input into the contractor’s construction engineering work packages, technical submittals, construction plan, and schedule, use of construction materials, tools and equipment and work procedures.
• Participate and lead resolution of field changes that may occur during the execution of the project, as directed by the Project/Construction Manager. This includes manage the RFI (Request for Information) log and responses to minimize RFI turnaround time and appropriateness of RFI’s. If needed work closely with Project Engineer in resolving RFI's
• Take part in weekly site visits to check for any safety issues that may pose a risk to personnel and construction issues that may pose a risk to people or the execution of the project
Pros
Everything but the travel
Cons
Working in rural areas
Great work life balance with exceptional salary and benefits. Lack of clarity in direction, coupled with fast pace of change.
HR Advisor Corporate Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 31, 2014
Working in Syncrude has been a great experience for me in terms of learning about the oil and gas sector in Canada. I was fortunate to be an integral part of major projects in 2014. My major accomplishments include Development of Leadership Framework and Behaviours Scale-the first of its kind in 50 year history of Syncrude; Preparation of Technical & Core Competencies for HR Professionals, Creation of ROI and other mechanisms for measuring training and consulting activities.
Pros
friendly staff, exceptional salary and benefits
Cons
fast pace of change without clear communication channels
Great learning experience.
Student Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 14, 2014
I had my first exposure to being a process operator during my time at Syncrude as a student operator. Syncrude gave me lots of experience and also gave me the opportunity to qualify on my unit if I applied myself.

My management and co-workers were great to work with. My typical day consisted of doing my operating rounds, checking pumps and equipment and responding to process upsets or adjustments from the panel operator. I was responsible for monitoring my pumps and compressor, making adjustments to the feed furnaces and tower, and isolating/ de-isolating equipment.

The hardest part of the job was leaving when my contract ended and I had to return to school for my third class power engineering certificate.
Pros
opportunity for overtime.
Cons
being a student during my time there, would rather be a full employee.
Nice place and fun loving people
Project Material Specialist (Project Operations) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray ABNovember 11, 2014
Lots of excitement
Good place to learn and make career growth
team admin
Team Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 27, 2014
I worked for this company a long time I enjoyed the company and experience that I have received I would be interested in working for this company again in the Edmonton area again
Great position with extreme challenges.
Senior Process / Control Room operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2014
Interesting and challenging position. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills. As control room operator I was challenged every shift to meet production quotas. Teamwork was essential and success was only realized when we all worked together as a team.
Pros
heath and safety was a top priority.
Cons
fly in fly out was not an option.
Old plant, rude people.
process operator (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurraySeptember 11, 2014
if you have a chance to work at another oil sands site your best off taking it, was lied to by management, permit office had some of the most rude people I have ever worked with in my life. job itself was ok, pay was ok, long days, alot of people that worked there didn't seem to really want to be there, training was a mess, best have some experience if you go there as there is very little experience to learn from. All they want to hire it seems are kids right out of school.

avoid if you can.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
syncrude-power engineer/process operator
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurrayMay 7, 2014
Syncrude is a great employer, great benefits, pay, and bonuses/ savings plans.
Pros
great schedule, pay, benefits, bonuses
Cons
not a small company managerially run as the large corporation it is

4.2