SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews

Overall an excellent company to work for.
Lead Engineer:Automation - Site Office (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 September 2017
This an excellent company to work for I have been working for them for 14 years and they have paid me very good salary.
Its very large company and it takes time to get adjusted to the work environment. .
Pros
Very good company to work for.
Great place to work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 August 2017
It is a Great atmosphere to work as a team member. Lots of opportunity for personal growth, and furthering your education is fully supported at syncrude.
Learned valuable lessons in operation of heavy eqpt
Heavy eqpt. , mining trucks, dozers etc.... (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 July 2017
As a 19 year old, Syncrude was a great experience. Learning how to operate and maintain all heavy eqpt and trucks. One of Canadas top employers, Syncrude offered a generous salary and benefits package
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Very cold outdoor work in the winter
Great company to work with
Construction Engineer / Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 June 2017
Great company to work with.
High Emphasis in Safety
High goals commitment
Great support from management team
Reasonable facilities complex
Great people and co-workers
Pros
free transportation to site and town
Cons
you have to know in details the plant site to be confortable working
Stable employment
HET (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 June 2017
Good company to work for. The pension initially was great, however for new employees it has changed and is now not nearly as good. They have recently been purchased by Suncor, so the changes have not been seen yet.
Pros
Good pay, stable employment
Cons
Bus commute is long
Golden Handcuffs
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 May 2017
Mining - 12.5 hour days with another 2 hours travel combined 3 days - 3 nights. Your working alone and most times in solidarity confinement and your overall mental and physical health will deteriorate if your not careful. Great pay scale when you make it to top level and benefits but they have taken away much more then what they've offered in 5 years so don't bank on anything lasting.
If your looking to grovel for a big pay then this is your job.
Pros
Big pay
Cons
Your dirt in your leader's eyes and disposal.
Sycrude is a retirement job
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 May 2017
Syncrude has excellent pay, vacation and benefits. You may be disappointed in the pay if your trade doesn't receive a significant amount of overtime. Also the communities you are located in likely will not provide much of a social life and expensive cost of homes. It is a retirement job, so it can be a detriment to your progress if your in it for anything other than the long haul. The job security is a little embellished with this company.
Pros
Excellent pay, vacation, benefits and a feasible schedule.
Cons
Unless you intend on retiring with them, working for them could be a mistake.
Best Place to Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 April 2017
This is an excellent place to work. excellent benefits and salary. management is all about people and people's well being. job life is fun and working environment is excellent.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Location - remote
Productive workplace with good team environments in most areas
Training & Contracts Coordinator, Human Recourses (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2017
Due to some circumstances for the last year, Syncrude has done it's best in keeping it's morale at a high and trying to provide constant reassurance and comfort for the people who work here.
Great Employer
Senior Associate Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 March 2017
Great employer to work for. Salary and Benefits are excellent. Good working atmosphere. Excellent management. Good defined pension plan. Number of other saving plans.
Productive Workplace, Loyal to Employees
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Great place to work, competitive benefits and salary, with meaningful projects. The only point of contention is that some managers like to talk behind your back, enough have the decency to let you know what's going on before it's too late that it isn't too much a problem.
Pros
Great Work/Life Balance
Cons
Some office politicking
Very good company
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 March 2017
Its been a pleasure working for Syncrude Canada, started off entry level position and worked very hard to accomplished experience within the process operation field. Comminissioning and decommissioning , walk downs experience.
review
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 February 2017
A great company with lots of opportunities . Management and staff were respectful and great to work with. A new job brings excitement and can be a trying when learning new programs and processes. It all comes with a new job.
Pros
all great
Cons
supervisor
learning experience was excellant
4th Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 February 2017
I started off as a Co-Op Student in the Sulphur Recovery Units, where we practiced emergency scenarios to ensure that I acted appropriately to each. Gained knowledge of the unit process flow and the parameters in order to keep the plant operating efficiently. The training and core values ensure each one of us worked well with each other safely. The hardest part of the job was the older plants sometimes gave me trouble in restarting after a trip but with the experienced operators mentoring me gained the knowledge needed to start these plants, so in the future, I would not experience any problems of restarting the plant . Learning new processes and mentoring new trainees on the plants that you have mastered so that you can build a team of strong operators that can respond to any situation with confidence was the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
never ending learning process
Excellent Operations Organization with a strong safety focus
Senior Process Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2017
Strong Operations environment, with good technical depth. Excellent benefits, though moving towards typical long term options provided by industry.
Pros
Daily transportation to and from site from town
Cons
Fort McMurray Location; higher cost of living and accommodation
Productive, secure and great environment to work in.
Procurement, Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 February 2017
Worked in the warehouse and with management over the years, accomplished the work with training and time management. The hardest part of the job was leaving , it felt like I was losing my family.
Pros
Training
Cons
Much respected clients reps.
Senior Electrical Designer /QA/QC checker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
Great company to work for even as a Contract employee. Work culture was fun and loving. Room for advancement and great benefits. Client reps are friendly .
Pros
Great benifite.
Cons
I did not encounter any negative issues while working with the clients.
Syncrude was a rewarding and challenging company to work for.
Heavy Equipment Operator (tailings) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 February 2017
I began my career at Syncrude many years ago. The time period in between jobs I chose to have a family and raise them to school age prior to re-entering the work world. My time at Syncrude was also fun and challenging.
Great Place to work and excellent experierence.
Welder/Heavy Duty Mobile Equipment (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Syncrude because there was something new everyday to fix on the Heavy Mobile Equipment. I found it very interesting working on such big scale machinery and loved the challenge. They have great salary and benefits better then most of the jobsites out that way. I found the people there great and they help me out the best way they could, truly down the earth people for sure.

Overall great place to work, and the work experience there is assume.
Pros
Salary and benefits, 6 on 6 off was good
Cons
Long days 12 hour shifts, taking the bus, Getting home late when the traffic is bad, being fozen waiting for the bus in the mornings, Bus ride to long 1 1/4 hours one way, very long days when you include travell and 12 hours of work
Productive workplace where I felt like a valued member of the team.
Short Range Mine Planner (Former Employee) –  Mildred Lake, AB22 January 2017
I worked there for an 8 month co-op term. I learned a lot about how a mine operates on a day-to-day basis. Everyone pulled their own weight, but knew when to take a break. Overtime wasn't expected, but allowed if necessary. The hardest part was working with contractors to get the job done according to specs. The most enjoyable part was knowing that what I was doing was important.