SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD

SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice place and fun loving people
Project Material Specialist (Project Operations) (Former Employee), Fort McMurray ABNovember 11, 2014
Lots of excitement
Good place to learn and make career growth
team admin
Team Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 27, 2014
I worked for this company a long time I enjoyed the company and experience that I have received I would be interested in working for this company again in the Edmonton area again
Great position with extreme challenges.
Senior Process / Control Room operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2014
Pros: heath and safety was a top priority.
Cons: fly in fly out was not an option.
Interesting and challenging position. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills. As control room operator I was challenged every shift to meet production quotas. Teamwork was essential and success was only realized when we all worked together as a team.
Old plant, rude people.
process operator (Former Employee), fort mcmurraySeptember 11, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: everything else
if you have a chance to work at another oil sands site your best off taking it, was lied to by management, permit office had some of the most rude people I have ever worked with in my life. job itself was ok, pay was ok, long days, alot of people that worked there didn't seem to really want to be there, training was a mess, best have some experience – more... if you go there as there is very little experience to learn from. All they want to hire it seems are kids right out of school.

avoid if you can. – less
syncrude-power engineer/process operator
Process Operator (Current Employee), fort mcmurrayMay 7, 2014
Pros: great schedule, pay, benefits, bonuses
Cons: not a small company managerially run as the large corporation it is
Syncrude is a great employer, great benefits, pay, and bonuses/ savings plans.
Great place to work with some minor cons
Project Development / Sr. Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 5, 2014
Great work atmosphere, approachable management with sound practices, lots of emphasis on safety. Onus is on employees to seek change.
fun
Instrument Technician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 13, 2014
Had worked continue 6 hrs to troubleshoot one loop.
troubleshoot problem with patience
Lead whole crew for particular job
Trained apprentices and new technicians
Extreme cold and windy job place
Working in team
Productive and fun workplace with small Gym
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: sometimes free lunches
Cons: long hours
Can utilize my skill & knowledge, professional work atmosphere, Friendly supervisor, People are respected each other. Has small gym. We can stretch yourself for a while.
Very rewarding organization from work, challenges and compensation perspwective.
Sr. Global Strategic Planning Advisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AB - ExxonMobil, at Fairfax VAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: excellent work opportunities, growth potential and great compensation
Cons: located in a remote cold location, work is often demanding which is good and bad
I worked for this organization for 26 years and have greatly enjoyed. Leaving company with early retirement decision was based on my personal circumstances.

Organization offers work challenging environment and growth opportunities. Senior management is well tuned with the organization and extends very rewarding work environment.

Last 2 years I was – more... seconded to ExxonMobil reporting to Fairfax Virginia office. – less
Enjoyed work pressures specially turnaround and shutdown seasons.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee), Main Plant SiteDecember 15, 2013
Pros: diversified to pick and drop
Cons: provision of overtime
Stayed for around 8-months and enjoyed working with team of procurement and Manager procurement.
not good...
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2013
a lot of uneducated and rude people are ruining this company...
In my role I have met a lot of nice people,
SH&E Safety Advisor/SH&E Trainer (Current Employee), Fort McMurrayAugust 4, 2013
Continually on the go
To be patient, learn life is an adventure
Okay
Co-workers are okay
Hardest part of the job is to stay focused/need a new challenge
Meeting people
Advanced laboratory techniques used for analysis
Chemical Technologist, Operations Laboratory (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 26, 2013
Safety attentive workplace
Good workplace for laboratory experience
Very strict rules for contractors BUT good for permanent
Office was located in the center of the Syncrude Mine in Fort McMurray, adequate office environment, nice group of co-workers
Direct Buying, Materials & Services Department (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 19, 2013
Pros: supportive team manager, friendly coworkers, good salary and benefits
Cons: mine site location and taking company bus to work every day
A typical day involved receiving requests from various departments in the Mine to purchase materials. I prepared RFQ's and RFI's for a variety of products ranging from Cable Tractors, Diggers, Valves, rental equipment and fleet vehicles. Any sort of request for a one-off purchase could come your way.

The hardest part of the job was that the company – more... was revising it's purchasing guidelines, so it was difficult to explain the new procedures to the other mine departments and attain their buy-in. And it resulted in extra paperwork and approval for each proposal.

The management and staff were very professional and supportive and there was a strong sense of team.

It was hard to adapt to a concise work schedule, meaning it was strange to have to stop work at a certain time everyday to be able to catch your transportation back to town. Regardless of what issue you were dealing with at the time.

I learned that I am able to learn new processes quickly, adapt to new environments and create relationships with a broad spectrum of people. – less
A Great Place To Start A Life-Long Career
Process Operator Conversion South (Former Employee), Conversion South, 8-1/8-2 Cokers, team 501April 23, 2013
Pros: team oriented, learning environment
Cons: communication issues between field operators and upper management
Even though you are to be working a 12 hour shift, Syncrude's required routines do not make it seem like a 12 hour shift. You start your morning/night shift with a "kick-off" meeting, discussions about each post's previous shift. Then you are to give you attention to your STL in regards to todays/tonights SPDO, a list of equipment needing to be isolated – more... and brought down for repairs, or equipment that needs to be commissioned after being repaired. Once read and understood its time to head out into the field and get it done. By the time you and your team get all this done, its pretty much time to give relief, and head home. None the less i never was bored within my 12 hour shift, as there was always something that needed to be done, and was always something new to learn – less
Very safety oriented company!
Millwright (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 16, 2013
Pros: alot of overtime
Cons: travel was tiring sometimes
Worked with hard working people from all over the world! The travel was tiring at times but the benefits were excellent!
Great Company to work for
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: great wages
Cons: n/a
Syncrude Canada was my first employer as a journeyman. The company salary I was offered was great, and the benefits too.
I made a decision to leave this company to gain more experience in other fields. This was a difficult company to leave.
What I learned
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 25, 2013
They were ok to work for. good shift. awesome pay and benefits.
Very good place of employment,very safe work enviroment.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 2, 2012
Pros: nice awards.good lunches, good people
Cons: wet weather was boring and dangerous and less productive, everyone had to be very attentive to what they were doing.
To start the day i was to to fill out today's job task analysis form for the job at hand,while having coffee,then pre - equipment checks,before i start working,if any deficiency's it would be called in to whom it may concerned. If none i would carry on a normal operation.
In the middle of the shift the shift supervisor would make a fleet call to update – more... production and inquire of any safety concerns that may have been observed during the shift,workers were also motivated to report safety issues as they would occur.If any it would be dealt with ASAP.
Then if we were having a slower productive day than usual the supervisor would ask for input from the field workers to solve what ever was causing the slow down,it maybe the weather road conditions or maybe new people being trained,In any case he had to have an answer to account for the loss of production.
In a team enviroment everyone was trained to help each other out.
Then finally shift change comes along hot change the bus let the operators off and and operators on put no equipment moved until the buses cleared the work area,
Then it was a much deserved rest after a 12 hour shift and all the laughter of the fun day, and sometimes silly mistakes made during the shift but nothing serious. – less
It is a fine place to work the people are great to work with
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray AB.August 12, 2012
Pros: you get paid to ride the bus to work
Cons: long days
The people are good to work with and the direct management is supportive and good to work with as I am only a casual employee I Can't answer salary or benefits a typical day starts by getting on the bus at 6am riding an hour to work starting at 7:30 driving until 7:30 pmI have learned What kinds of dirt you need on structures ,how to back to shovels – more... and dozers the value of tires and how valuable safety is the hardest part of the job is keeping your self in the moment for 12 hrs. I love operating equipment – less