SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews

learning experience was excellant
4th Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 February 2017
I started off as a Co-Op Student in the Sulphur Recovery Units, where we practiced emergency scenarios to ensure that I acted appropriately to each. Gained knowledge of the unit process flow and the parameters in order to keep the plant operating efficiently. The training and core values ensure each one of us worked well with each other safely. The hardest part of the job was the older plants sometimes gave me trouble in restarting after a trip but with the experienced operators mentoring me gained the knowledge needed to start these plants, so in the future, I would not experience any problems of restarting the plant . Learning new processes and mentoring new trainees on the plants that you have mastered so that you can build a team of strong operators that can respond to any situation with confidence was the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
never ending learning process
Excellent Operations Organization with a strong safety focus
Senior Process Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2017
Strong Operations environment, with good technical depth. Excellent benefits, though moving towards typical long term options provided by industry.
Pros
Daily transportation to and from site from town
Cons
Fort McMurray Location; higher cost of living and accommodation
Productive, secure and great environment to work in.
Procurement, Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 February 2017
Worked in the warehouse and with management over the years, accomplished the work with training and time management. The hardest part of the job was leaving , it felt like I was losing my family.
Pros
Training
Cons
Much respected clients reps.
Senior Electrical Designer /QA/QC checker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
Great company to work for even as a Contract employee. Work culture was fun and loving. Room for advancement and great benefits. Client reps are friendly .
Pros
Great benifite.
Cons
I did not encounter any negative issues while working with the clients.
Syncrude was a rewarding and challenging company to work for.
Heavy Equipment Operator (tailings) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 February 2017
I began my career at Syncrude many years ago. The time period in between jobs I chose to have a family and raise them to school age prior to re-entering the work world. My time at Syncrude was also fun and challenging.
Great Place to work and excellent experierence.
Welder/Heavy Duty Mobile Equipment (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Syncrude because there was something new everyday to fix on the Heavy Mobile Equipment. I found it very interesting working on such big scale machinery and loved the challenge. They have great salary and benefits better then most of the jobsites out that way. I found the people there great and they help me out the best way they could, truly down the earth people for sure.

Overall great place to work, and the work experience there is assume.
Pros
Salary and benefits, 6 on 6 off was good
Cons
Long days 12 hour shifts, taking the bus, Getting home late when the traffic is bad, being fozen waiting for the bus in the mornings, Bus ride to long 1 1/4 hours one way, very long days when you include travell and 12 hours of work
Productive workplace where I felt like a valued member of the team.
Short Range Mine Planner (Former Employee) –  Mildred Lake, AB22 January 2017
I worked there for an 8 month co-op term. I learned a lot about how a mine operates on a day-to-day basis. Everyone pulled their own weight, but knew when to take a break. Overtime wasn't expected, but allowed if necessary. The hardest part was working with contractors to get the job done according to specs. The most enjoyable part was knowing that what I was doing was important.
Excellent!
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2017
Great experience, plenty of individual growth, lots of learning opportunities, great safety culture. Managment team is good.
Cons
Located in isolated area...as do many oil companies.
its far up north
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 January 2017
The job is up north so there is a 40 minute commute to the Mildred Lake Plant job site. They are efficient at what they do and they have the workers safety in mind.
A work place that only helps their direct employees
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2016
Working as a contractor was the toughest thing ever, unpaid breaks , forced to take days off without pay, pay cuts . In general, Being at a contractor in this organization means you work twice as hard for half of what you deserve.
Pros
Cons
contractors are not looked after
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 September 2016
Enjoyed my 7 years of employment with Syncrude. Spent most of my time commuting from ft Mac to Van Island and would recommend as a good job for commuting or for Ft Mac residency.
Pros
Good pay, lots of opportunity for career advancement.
Cons
No camp flights etc for commuters and 6 on 6 off doesn't give enough time. Would prefer 10/10
Excellent company
Transition Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Syncrude is an excellent company to work for. They have knowledgable staff and a respectful environment. They are very concerned about safety and adhere to high standards.
Pros
Ethical
Cons
At the time, very forward thinking in terms of organization design
Organization Effectiveness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 July 2016
I had an excellent experience working in organization design, organization culture, team building. The training opportunities were fabulous--so from a professional development perspective there were many opportunities.
As an OD consultant, I worked very closely with a GM and their management team (one of the areas of the plant -- Extraction). The GM was amazing and really committed to moving towards Area Management (away from Functional/Single Discipline Structure)
At the time it was fairly male dominated -- but I did not find that to be too much of a problem.
The hardest part of the job -- was living and working in the cold climate.
It was truly amazing to work with a great team of people trying to redesign the organization to make it more effective.
Pros
Good Money, Professional Development
Productive, good people
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2016
Worked with good people, had a good training set in place.The management was ok, When needed help, i was always able to find one.Overall good company with room for enhancement.
great way to learn about tools
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 May 2016
Working for Century Vallen was wonderful. It was a great entry job into the oil industry. It was a hands on job but also very customer orientated as well. I always described it as walking up to a Canadian Tire store, its just I grabbed what you needed instead of you. Most of that time I worked with Heavy duty mechanics getting them the tools they required for the job, maintaining the tools and shipping and receiving of the product. My co-workers and management on that job where magnificent, from job education too moral support. The most enjoyable part of that job was the hands on education.
Pros
all around great job
Cons
15 hours a day away from family
Safe, fast , and productive
Millwright apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 February 2016
-Providing general maintenance on pumps and turbines.
-Various technical skills like timing pimps and setting mechanical seals.
-Worked with great groups of individuals.
Great group of people
Heavy Equipment Operator, Dewatering (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 February 2016
There was always a good days work to be put in, co-workers were always joking around and easy to talk to which made the days go faster. Management sometimes had too many levels and became infective. Great opportunity to rotate to different kinds of equipment and gain experience.
Pros
Great people and excellent benefits
Cons
Management Bureaucracy
Productive, safe and educational learning experience
Mobile Machinery Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2016
As a co-op student at Syncrude I had experience with the reliability management of Syncrude's mobile machinery fleet. I gained both technical understanding and hands on experience with the fleet. Working at Syncrude, there were a diverse group of people with different backgrounds and profession and being able to work with them improved my communication skills
Pros
Fast paced learning enviroment
Cons
Working away from family
Good for engineering
Occupational Hygiene Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2016
Syncrude is a good place to gain experience as an entry level engineer. Salary and benefits are good. Some organizational issues. Work hours are good for office staff (8hrs) + free transportation from town to the site.
good place to work
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2015
having our own work vehicle on site to do our checks and maintain our units without any interruptions
supervisors would provide meals as a thank you for maintaining your units in a timely manner
Pros
large lunch room with free meals once and a while
Cons
lack of work vehicles

4.2