SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD Employee Reviews

Golden Handcuffs
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 May 2017
Mining - 12.5 hour days with another 2 hours travel combined 3 days - 3 nights. Your working alone and most times in solidarity confinement and your overall mental and physical health will deteriorate if your not careful. Great pay scale when you make it to top level and benefits but they have taken away much more then what they've offered in 5 years so don't bank on anything lasting.
If your looking to grovel for a big pay then this is your job.
Pros
Big pay
Cons
Your dirt in your leader's eyes and disposal.
Best Place to Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 April 2017
This is an excellent place to work. excellent benefits and salary. management is all about people and people's well being. job life is fun and working environment is excellent.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Location - remote
Productive workplace with good team environments in most areas
Training & Contracts Coordinator, Human Recourses (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2017
Due to some circumstances for the last year, Syncrude has done it's best in keeping it's morale at a high and trying to provide constant reassurance and comfort for the people who work here.
Great Employer
Senior Associate Hydrogeologist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 March 2017
Great employer to work for. Salary and Benefits are excellent. Good working atmosphere. Excellent management. Good defined pension plan. Number of other saving plans.
Productive Workplace, Loyal to Employees
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Great place to work, competitive benefits and salary, with meaningful projects. The only point of contention is that some managers like to talk behind your back, enough have the decency to let you know what's going on before it's too late that it isn't too much a problem.
Pros
Great Work/Life Balance
Cons
Some office politicking
Very good company
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 March 2017
Its been a pleasure working for Syncrude Canada, started off entry level position and worked very hard to accomplished experience within the process operation field. Comminissioning and decommissioning , walk downs experience.
review
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 February 2017
A great company with lots of opportunities . Management and staff were respectful and great to work with. A new job brings excitement and can be a trying when learning new programs and processes. It all comes with a new job.
Pros
all great
Cons
supervisor
learning experience was excellant
4th Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 February 2017
I started off as a Co-Op Student in the Sulphur Recovery Units, where we practiced emergency scenarios to ensure that I acted appropriately to each. Gained knowledge of the unit process flow and the parameters in order to keep the plant operating efficiently. The training and core values ensure each one of us worked well with each other safely. The hardest part of the job was the older plants sometimes gave me trouble in restarting after a trip but with the experienced operators mentoring me gained the knowledge needed to start these plants, so in the future, I would not experience any problems of restarting the plant . Learning new processes and mentoring new trainees on the plants that you have mastered so that you can build a team of strong operators that can respond to any situation with confidence was the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
never ending learning process
Excellent Operations Organization with a strong safety focus
Senior Process Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2017
Strong Operations environment, with good technical depth. Excellent benefits, though moving towards typical long term options provided by industry.
Pros
Daily transportation to and from site from town
Cons
Fort McMurray Location; higher cost of living and accommodation
Productive, secure and great environment to work in.
Procurement, Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 February 2017
Worked in the warehouse and with management over the years, accomplished the work with training and time management. The hardest part of the job was leaving , it felt like I was losing my family.
Pros
Training
Cons
Much respected clients reps.
Senior Electrical Designer /QA/QC checker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
Great company to work for even as a Contract employee. Work culture was fun and loving. Room for advancement and great benefits. Client reps are friendly .
Pros
Great benifite.
Cons
I did not encounter any negative issues while working with the clients.
Syncrude was a rewarding and challenging company to work for.
Heavy Equipment Operator (tailings) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 February 2017
I began my career at Syncrude many years ago. The time period in between jobs I chose to have a family and raise them to school age prior to re-entering the work world. My time at Syncrude was also fun and challenging.
Great Place to work and excellent experierence.
Welder/Heavy Duty Mobile Equipment (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Syncrude because there was something new everyday to fix on the Heavy Mobile Equipment. I found it very interesting working on such big scale machinery and loved the challenge. They have great salary and benefits better then most of the jobsites out that way. I found the people there great and they help me out the best way they could, truly down the earth people for sure.

Overall great place to work, and the work experience there is assume.
Pros
Salary and benefits, 6 on 6 off was good
Cons
Long days 12 hour shifts, taking the bus, Getting home late when the traffic is bad, being fozen waiting for the bus in the mornings, Bus ride to long 1 1/4 hours one way, very long days when you include travell and 12 hours of work
Productive workplace where I felt like a valued member of the team.
Short Range Mine Planner (Former Employee) –  Mildred Lake, AB22 January 2017
I worked there for an 8 month co-op term. I learned a lot about how a mine operates on a day-to-day basis. Everyone pulled their own weight, but knew when to take a break. Overtime wasn't expected, but allowed if necessary. The hardest part was working with contractors to get the job done according to specs. The most enjoyable part was knowing that what I was doing was important.
Excellent!
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2017
Great experience, plenty of individual growth, lots of learning opportunities, great safety culture. Managment team is good.
Cons
Located in isolated area...as do many oil companies.
its far up north
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 January 2017
The job is up north so there is a 40 minute commute to the Mildred Lake Plant job site. They are efficient at what they do and they have the workers safety in mind.
A work place that only helps their direct employees
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2016
Working as a contractor was the toughest thing ever, unpaid breaks , forced to take days off without pay, pay cuts . In general, Being at a contractor in this organization means you work twice as hard for half of what you deserve.
Pros
Cons
contractors are not looked after
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 September 2016
Enjoyed my 7 years of employment with Syncrude. Spent most of my time commuting from ft Mac to Van Island and would recommend as a good job for commuting or for Ft Mac residency.
Pros
Good pay, lots of opportunity for career advancement.
Cons
No camp flights etc for commuters and 6 on 6 off doesn't give enough time. Would prefer 10/10
Excellent company
Transition Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Syncrude is an excellent company to work for. They have knowledgable staff and a respectful environment. They are very concerned about safety and adhere to high standards.
Pros
Ethical
Cons
At the time, very forward thinking in terms of organization design
Organization Effectiveness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 July 2016
I had an excellent experience working in organization design, organization culture, team building. The training opportunities were fabulous--so from a professional development perspective there were many opportunities.
As an OD consultant, I worked very closely with a GM and their management team (one of the areas of the plant -- Extraction). The GM was amazing and really committed to moving towards Area Management (away from Functional/Single Discipline Structure)
At the time it was fairly male dominated -- but I did not find that to be too much of a problem.
The hardest part of the job -- was living and working in the cold climate.
It was truly amazing to work with a great team of people trying to redesign the organization to make it more effective.
Pros
Good Money, Professional Development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SYNCRUDE CANADA LTD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2