Symantec

Symantec Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Summary
SOC Manager (Current Employee), VAApril 27, 2014
A great company to learn Network Security. You will travel and meet other people with all types of back rounds.
Fun working in Symantec.
DISSERTATION AND INTERNSHIP (Current Employee), PuneApril 20, 2014
People are very nice, helpful and hardworking. Culture is just so awesome.
Just horrible
Enablement Specialist (Ops) (Former Employee), Springfield, ORApril 17, 2014
Pros: on site cafeteria and gym
Cons: the work environment
It's sad because when I first started at Symantec I loved it there. I mean to the point of "I really get to do this for a living?"

Reality is the only good thing about Symantec is the people. I met some great people working there, a few are still with the company but most are gone.

The company doesn't give raises, managers play favorites, you never – more... know when you're job duties will change and in what way. I was hired for a specific job but over the years it morphed into something for which I never would have applied. The processes at Symantec are so convoluted they create stress where there should be next to none.

Symantec has the capability of being a great place to work but goes out of Its way to be horrible instead. As I said, it's sad. – less
Good Work/ Life Balance
Director, Solution Architecture (Current Employee), Mountain View, CaApril 16, 2014
Highly paying organization with good work/ life balance. Leadership is having strategy challenges which is impacting the overall business.
Great place to work for 15+ years
Manager, Content Programs, Global Sales Enablement (Former Employee), Remote, OregonApril 14, 2014
Pros: great teams of people
Cons: new leadership, a lot of change
A lot of change to manage in this company - great, hard working people that want to make a difference. Leadership team is new and still working out kinks. I worked remotely as part of a global team - loved the independence of working alone but enjoyed the team aspect and was engaged with people via conference calls and team meetings the majority of – more... my days. I worked autonomously and loved it! – less
A security supermarket
Senior Manager, Product Management (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAApril 1, 2014
It is a lot of work but it never seems like you are making progress.
Change
Accounting (Current Employee), Mountain View, CaMarch 31, 2014
Pros: never a dull moment
Cons: never a dull moment. your head will spin
The company is going through a lot of changes right now. New CFO, CAO and CEO. It is difficult to understand the direction that management is taking the Company.
Sr Software Engineer
Sr Software Engineer (Former Employee), Pune, MHMarch 30, 2014
Pros: excellent work culture
Maintaining & enhancing the application.
Supporting the application on multiple Unix & Windows platforms.
Senior ETL Developer (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAMarch 24, 2014
Nice Environment
Encouraging Management
nice Co-workers
Offshore Coordination
Quality People
Senior IT Manager, Platform Engineering (Former Employee), Cupertino, CAMarch 18, 2014
I worked for Veritas when it was acquired by Symantec. Loved my time with Veritas, not so much with Symantec. We lost our focus and vision when the acquisition happened. We tried to combine to compnaies with very different cultures.
productive
Development Manager- (Former Employee), Pune, MHMarch 16, 2014
I contributed to the following key features in the overall product offering.

o Universal Shell (USH) Team Size: 8
USH is a framework that extends the use of standard OS shells to enable centralized, cross-platform management of multiple machines from the same terminal interface without having to explicitly login to individual machines. It enables system – more... administrators to browse file systems, execute commands and scripts across thousands of machines, from a centralized console. USH provides a single file system interface (unified name space) over file systems of different machines running different operating systems. It provides a central point of control to perform privileged operations on the managed machines. USH also maintains an audit trail (keystroke auditing) of all administrative operations performed through the USH terminal. The audit trail can be extensively queried to enable faster trouble-shooting. The machine and user access control is managed efficiently and securely, to allow a system administrator to seamlessly work on multiple machines, without having to remember or input the credentials of privileged users across the multiple machines.
Role:Dev manager and Technical architect
Responsibility:
To overseethe complete development effort. Built a team of 5 engineers. Worked with the team in building the initial prototype, defined the product architecture and its low level design. Other activities include project tracking, code review, design review, manage incidents, interacting with PM/TPM, QA and the UI team.I was also hands-on with one of the modules in the product.
Platform Support:
Management server on Solaris. Target hosts on all major unices and windows.
Programming Language used:
C/C++

o Veritas Configuration Manager(VCM) Team Size: 2
VCM is a configuration management solution. Its key features include automatic
discovery of server and software configuration, dynamically mapping application dependencies, and tracking changes to app and server environment in real-time. It compares server configurations to ensure consistency and compliance.
Role: Dev Manager
Responsibility:
Was responsible for development of VCM kernel module on HPUX platform. Built a team of 2 engineers. Spent considerable time in ramping up the team with the product architecture. The team added support for latest HP-UX releases (HPUX 11.11i, 11.23 PA,IA).
Programming Language used:
C

o Cross Product Integration between Veritas Cluster server and Veritas Automation manager
Role: Technical Lead
Responsibility:
Proposed architecture for integration between Veritas automation manager and Veritas Cluster Server.Proposed the low level design and UI specs. Worked with usability, UI and backend development team to kick start the implementation.

o Large scale object management
The number of software objects in VAM can be of the order of millions in the worst case. For better manageabilityof the objects, users must be allowed to categorize and group them based on certain object characteristics. Different SvF software components can use groups to refer to this collection of objects in an efficient and easy manner while performing various functionaloperations. The object grouping can also be used as filters for limiting the objects of interest in a UI view. The groups can also be used to define role based access control characteristics.
Role: Technical Lead
Responsibility:
Prepared the concept paper and the functional spec. Worked with the UI and backend team to see through the low level design. – less
A mixed bag
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAMarch 14, 2014
I was part of an acquisition. Integration was long, slow and incomplete. Work environment and general benefits were good.
Work life balance not good.
Great place
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee), Roseville, MNMarch 9, 2014
I was there for 9 years. They did layoffs every year, sometimes twice per year.
fun working place
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, ORFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: work from home flexibility
Cons: long working hours
friendly team, state of the art facility, lot of traveling between Oregon and California.
Technical Support.
Global Support Technical Team Member (Former Employee), Heathrow, FLFebruary 24, 2014
I was impressed with company and the job Culture. The company was going through a downsizing and I was Laid off. Not very happy to leave.
Don't expect a call back
Project Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, ORFebruary 23, 2014
I have worked at Symantec for 8 months and really enjoyed it, I hoped to get on with the company full time, however that is not the case. Every job I applied to the process would be incredibly slow (sometimes 6 months before I heard a "No") and most times I felt I wasn't even considered for any position. Overall I applied to this company 42 times and – more... only recieved 1 interview, of which I was never deemed the honor of a response, This is possibly the only company that would not respond after an interview, I would not apply to this company, or expect any type of response unless you really know someone well there. – less
Leadership lacks a clear vision
Sr. Financial Analyst, Corporate FP&A (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: discount lunches, generous vacation time
Cons: minimal work-life balance, not many opportunities to take advanatage of vacation, compensation below industry standards
Many tasks are duplicated amongst different FP&A functional teams and there are many opportunities to implement process improvements. The systems add inefficiencies to our day-to-day reporting and make it difficult to ensure we are providing accurate information to our business partners. Recognition and promotion within the organization is not a standard – more... practice, it is preferred to hire external candidates instead of rewarding those who are deserving of promotions. Total compensation is not up to par compared to industry standards and bonuses are only available for Sr. Managers and above.

There lacks a clear direction and vision from management which adds difficulties while working cross-functionally.

The company can improve drastically by listening to individual contributors and understanding the key challenges that the cause inefficiencies during day-to-day tasks. Additionally turnover would be much less if incentives were in place to keep top performers.

That being said, this team does give you the opportunity to work with executive management and see the impact of your work and how it benefits the company. – less
The Work Culture and technology is very good
Component Test Lead (Current Employee), DLF IT Park, ChennaiFebruary 11, 2014
The Work environment is very good. Symantec offers lot of benefits to the employee. The work will be challenging which will give a good experience.
Productive and fun working place
Sr. SQA Engineer (Current Employee), Pune, MHJanuary 30, 2014
Analyzing and troubleshooting/debugging the issue with the product. Automation, test planning, the hardest part of job is estimation for unknowns and most enjoyable part is to troubleshoot and debug and automate.
Nice people and interesting industry
DIRECTOR, CORPORATE STRATEGY & INSIGHTS (Former Employee), MOUNTAIN VIEW, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with and interesting industry
Cons: very political
Really enjoyed working with the people at Symantec. It is going through lots of changes and is quite hierarchical so difficult to get things accomplished.

About Symantec

Symantec's future seems to be secure. The company provides security, storage, and systems management software for businesses and – Read more