Symantec

Encouraging Management
nice Co-workers
Offshore Coordination
Quality People
Senior IT Manager, Platform Engineering (Former Employee), Cupertino, CAMarch 18, 2014
I worked for Veritas when it was acquired by Symantec. Loved my time with Veritas, not so much with Symantec. We lost our focus and vision when the acquisition happened. We tried to combine to compnaies with very different cultures.
productive
Development Manager- (Former Employee), Pune, MHMarch 16, 2014
I contributed to the following key features in the overall product offering.

o Universal Shell (USH) Team Size: 8
USH is a framework that extends the use of standard OS shells to enable centralized, cross-platform management of multiple machines from the same terminal interface without having to explicitly login to individual machines. It enables system – more... administrators to browse file systems, execute commands and scripts across thousands of machines, from a centralized console. USH provides a single file system interface (unified name space) over file systems of different machines running different operating systems. It provides a central point of control to perform privileged operations on the managed machines. USH also maintains an audit trail (keystroke auditing) of all administrative operations performed through the USH terminal. The audit trail can be extensively queried to enable faster trouble-shooting. The machine and user access control is managed efficiently and securely, to allow a system administrator to seamlessly work on multiple machines, without having to remember or input the credentials of privileged users across the multiple machines.
Role:Dev manager and Technical architect
Responsibility:
To overseethe complete development effort. Built a team of 5 engineers. Worked with the team in building the initial prototype, defined the product architecture and its low level design. Other activities include project tracking, code review, design review, manage incidents, interacting with PM/TPM, QA and the UI team.I was also hands-on with one of the modules in the product.
Platform Support:
Management server on Solaris. Target hosts on all major unices and windows.
Programming Language used:
C/C++

o Veritas Configuration Manager(VCM) Team Size: 2
VCM is a configuration management solution. Its key features include automatic
discovery of server and software configuration, dynamically mapping application dependencies, and tracking changes to app and server environment in real-time. It compares server configurations to ensure consistency and compliance.
Role: Dev Manager
Responsibility:
Was responsible for development of VCM kernel module on HPUX platform. Built a team of 2 engineers. Spent considerable time in ramping up the team with the product architecture. The team added support for latest HP-UX releases (HPUX 11.11i, 11.23 PA,IA).
Programming Language used:
C

o Cross Product Integration between Veritas Cluster server and Veritas Automation manager
Role: Technical Lead
Responsibility:
Proposed architecture for integration between Veritas automation manager and Veritas Cluster Server.Proposed the low level design and UI specs. Worked with usability, UI and backend development team to kick start the implementation.

o Large scale object management
The number of software objects in VAM can be of the order of millions in the worst case. For better manageabilityof the objects, users must be allowed to categorize and group them based on certain object characteristics. Different SvF software components can use groups to refer to this collection of objects in an efficient and easy manner while performing various functionaloperations. The object grouping can also be used as filters for limiting the objects of interest in a UI view. The groups can also be used to define role based access control characteristics.
Role: Technical Lead
Responsibility:
Prepared the concept paper and the functional spec. Worked with the UI and backend team to see through the low level design. – less
A mixed bag
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAMarch 14, 2014
I was part of an acquisition. Integration was long, slow and incomplete. Work environment and general benefits were good.
Work life balance not good.
Great place
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee), Roseville, MNMarch 9, 2014
I was there for 9 years. They did layoffs every year, sometimes twice per year.
fun working place
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, ORFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: work from home flexibility
Cons: long working hours
friendly team, state of the art facility, lot of traveling between Oregon and California.
Technical Support.
Global Support Technical Team Member (Former Employee), Heathrow, FLFebruary 24, 2014
I was impressed with company and the job Culture. The company was going through a downsizing and I was Laid off. Not very happy to leave.
Don't expect a call back
Project Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, ORFebruary 23, 2014
I have worked at Symantec for 8 months and really enjoyed it, I hoped to get on with the company full time, however that is not the case. Every job I applied to the process would be incredibly slow (sometimes 6 months before I heard a "No") and most times I felt I wasn't even considered for any position. Overall I applied to this company 42 times and – more... only recieved 1 interview, of which I was never deemed the honor of a response, This is possibly the only company that would not respond after an interview, I would not apply to this company, or expect any type of response unless you really know someone well there. – less
Leadership lacks a clear vision
Sr. Financial Analyst, Corporate FP&A (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: discount lunches, generous vacation time
Cons: minimal work-life balance, not many opportunities to take advanatage of vacation, compensation below industry standards
Many tasks are duplicated amongst different FP&A functional teams and there are many opportunities to implement process improvements. The systems add inefficiencies to our day-to-day reporting and make it difficult to ensure we are providing accurate information to our business partners. Recognition and promotion within the organization is not a standard – more... practice, it is preferred to hire external candidates instead of rewarding those who are deserving of promotions. Total compensation is not up to par compared to industry standards and bonuses are only available for Sr. Managers and above.

There lacks a clear direction and vision from management which adds difficulties while working cross-functionally.

The company can improve drastically by listening to individual contributors and understanding the key challenges that the cause inefficiencies during day-to-day tasks. Additionally turnover would be much less if incentives were in place to keep top performers.

That being said, this team does give you the opportunity to work with executive management and see the impact of your work and how it benefits the company. – less
The Work Culture and technology is very good
Component Test Lead (Current Employee), DLF IT Park, ChennaiFebruary 11, 2014
The Work environment is very good. Symantec offers lot of benefits to the employee. The work will be challenging which will give a good experience.
Productive and fun working place
Sr. SQA Engineer (Current Employee), Pune, MHJanuary 30, 2014
Analyzing and troubleshooting/debugging the issue with the product. Automation, test planning, the hardest part of job is estimation for unknowns and most enjoyable part is to troubleshoot and debug and automate.
Nice people and interesting industry
DIRECTOR, CORPORATE STRATEGY & INSIGHTS (Former Employee), MOUNTAIN VIEW, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with and interesting industry
Cons: very political
Really enjoyed working with the people at Symantec. It is going through lots of changes and is quite hierarchical so difficult to get things accomplished.
Fun and open workplace
Intellectual Property Clerk (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAJanuary 22, 2014
I had a great time working at Symantec. Co-workers and managers were always friendly and helpful and I was able to learn a lot about intellectual property law and open source licensing.
Nice company
Java Developer (Former Employee), Springfield, ORJanuary 21, 2014
Did a contract, nice management and good team. learned new technologies.
Review
Nice,
amazing
wonderfull
spectacular
Work life balance, good compensations
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee), Pune, IndiaJanuary 16, 2014
This company provides work life balance & also gives good compensations.
Good
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), PuneJanuary 14, 2014
Its one of the best company to work for.. Management is also good.
Job profile
Network security Administrator (Former Employee), mumbaiJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: core complain project
Cons: need good exposure on gateway devices
Worked as Network security Administrator;
got exposure with SSIM(symantec security information manager;
CCS(control compliance suite
Best practice report
A great place to work!
Learning Consultant (Former Employee), Pune, MHJanuary 11, 2014
Very good work culture!

Symantec is very employee friendly and believes in nurturing talent from within.
Good Company
Enterprise Territory Account Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAJanuary 8, 2014
Good Company with a solid reputation although they are going through a lot of transitions.

About Symantec

Symantec's future seems to be secure. The company provides security, storage, and systems management software for businesses and – Read more