Symantec

Symantec Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and interesting environment
Engineer Messaging and Web Security (Current Employee), Blanchardstown, Dublin 15May 23, 2014
Pros: interesting salary and work environment
Cons: no career path nor real trainings which are not symantec product related
I have learn a lot during about IT and especially IT security during the last 5 years. From small/medium businesses, to business critical and Symantec Partners needs and expectations.

The management and colleagues are really helpful and push you forward to achieve your goals.
Learning Consultant (Former Employee), BangaloreMay 21, 2014
Pros: no work timings
Cons: long hours
Minimal Supervision

Good co-workers

Overseas manager

Travelled to a couple of countries from Symantec to transfer the knowledge
Productive and Fun working place
IT Manager (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAMay 20, 2014
Great Co-workers
Excellent Work Life Balance
Good management
Great office
Great place to work , sorry about the products
Sales Systems Engineer (Former Employee), MexicoMay 19, 2014
Pros: great management, great benefits, growth opportunities
Cons: product portfolio
Symantec is a great place to work , highly organized as a company , but the products are going downhill. Outside of that everything is really great, the management, the teams , the sales org.
Simplified Review
Senior Technical Consultant - Pre-Sales (Current Employee), Kuala LumpurMay 14, 2014
Pros: a very detailed person, fast learner, work smart, willing to share and coach
Cons: sacrifice family time during weekday
- Meeting customers and business partners on regular basis to understand their pain points and craft out a solution that able to ease their pain as well as make their business competitive in the market.
- I had learned that every person had their own strength and weakness. Focus on their strength and leverage on it to assist them and ourselves to achieve – more... the common objectives.
- A strong team player to delight my internal and external customers. – less
Fantastic Management and Technical Teams
Senior Program manager (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAMay 9, 2014
Good work-life balance. Get to work with very talented people.
Excellent organisation
PRINCIPAL TALENT ACQUISITION PARTNER (Current Employee), Reading, BerkshireMay 5, 2014
Excellent organisation.
A global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers, small businesses and the largest global organizations secure and manage their information and identities independent of device. Symantec brings together leading software and cloud solutions that work seamlessly across multiple platforms, – more... giving customers the freedom to use the devices of their choice and to access, store and transmit information anytime, anywhere. – less
productive and enjoyable place to work
Associate expense reporting representative (Former Employee), Eugene,OregonMay 1, 2014
Pros: i learned something different than i had ever done, they had a great work place
Cons: this was only a temporary job, and although they extended my time there a couple of times the need for a temp was finished
a typical day was sorting and delivering the expense reports to the person that was responsible for processing them, and doing what ever they needed me to do .
I learned how expense reports are processed and the importance of the team effort to get the people paid.
Management was great and they spent a lot of time with team building functions and rewards.
The – more... co-workers were very friendly and accepted me into their work place.
The hardest part of the job was just learning a total new process than I had ever done before
The most enjoyable part was being able to learn and function in a different job. My co-workers liked to laugh and kept the atmosphere very enjoyable – less
Summary
SOC Manager (Current Employee), VAApril 27, 2014
A great company to learn Network Security. You will travel and meet other people with all types of back rounds.
Fun working in Symantec.
DISSERTATION AND INTERNSHIP (Current Employee), PuneApril 20, 2014
People are very nice, helpful and hardworking. Culture is just so awesome.
Just horrible
Enablement Specialist (Ops) (Former Employee), Springfield, ORApril 17, 2014
Pros: on site cafeteria and gym
Cons: the work environment
It's sad because when I first started at Symantec I loved it there. I mean to the point of "I really get to do this for a living?"

Reality is the only good thing about Symantec is the people. I met some great people working there, a few are still with the company but most are gone.

The company doesn't give raises, managers play favorites, you never – more... know when you're job duties will change and in what way. I was hired for a specific job but over the years it morphed into something for which I never would have applied. The processes at Symantec are so convoluted they create stress where there should be next to none.

Symantec has the capability of being a great place to work but goes out of Its way to be horrible instead. As I said, it's sad. – less
Good Work/ Life Balance
Director, Solution Architecture (Current Employee), Mountain View, CaApril 16, 2014
Highly paying organization with good work/ life balance. Leadership is having strategy challenges which is impacting the overall business.
Great place to work for 15+ years
Manager, Content Programs, Global Sales Enablement (Former Employee), Remote, OregonApril 14, 2014
Pros: great teams of people
Cons: new leadership, a lot of change
A lot of change to manage in this company - great, hard working people that want to make a difference. Leadership team is new and still working out kinks. I worked remotely as part of a global team - loved the independence of working alone but enjoyed the team aspect and was engaged with people via conference calls and team meetings the majority of – more... my days. I worked autonomously and loved it! – less
A security supermarket
Senior Manager, Product Management (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAApril 1, 2014
It is a lot of work but it never seems like you are making progress.
Change
Accounting (Current Employee), Mountain View, CaMarch 31, 2014
Pros: never a dull moment
Cons: never a dull moment. your head will spin
The company is going through a lot of changes right now. New CFO, CAO and CEO. It is difficult to understand the direction that management is taking the Company.
Sr Software Engineer
Sr Software Engineer (Former Employee), Pune, MHMarch 30, 2014
Pros: excellent work culture
Maintaining & enhancing the application.
Supporting the application on multiple Unix & Windows platforms.
Senior ETL Developer (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAMarch 24, 2014
Nice Environment
Encouraging Management
nice Co-workers
Offshore Coordination
Quality People
Senior IT Manager, Platform Engineering (Former Employee), Cupertino, CAMarch 18, 2014
I worked for Veritas when it was acquired by Symantec. Loved my time with Veritas, not so much with Symantec. We lost our focus and vision when the acquisition happened. We tried to combine to compnaies with very different cultures.
productive
Development Manager- (Former Employee), Pune, MHMarch 16, 2014
I contributed to the following key features in the overall product offering.

o Universal Shell (USH) Team Size: 8
USH is a framework that extends the use of standard OS shells to enable centralized, cross-platform management of multiple machines from the same terminal interface without having to explicitly login to individual machines. It enables system – more... administrators to browse file systems, execute commands and scripts across thousands of machines, from a centralized console. USH provides a single file system interface (unified name space) over file systems of different machines running different operating systems. It provides a central point of control to perform privileged operations on the managed machines. USH also maintains an audit trail (keystroke auditing) of all administrative operations performed through the USH terminal. The audit trail can be extensively queried to enable faster trouble-shooting. The machine and user access control is managed efficiently and securely, to allow a system administrator to seamlessly work on multiple machines, without having to remember or input the credentials of privileged users across the multiple machines.
Role:Dev manager and Technical architect
Responsibility:
To overseethe complete development effort. Built a team of 5 engineers. Worked with the team in building the initial prototype, defined the product architecture and its low level design. Other activities include project tracking, code review, design review, manage incidents, interacting with PM/TPM, QA and the UI team.I was also hands-on with one of the modules in the product.
Platform Support:
Management server on Solaris. Target hosts on all major unices and windows.
Programming Language used:
C/C++

o Veritas Configuration Manager(VCM) Team Size: 2
VCM is a configuration management solution. Its key features include automatic
discovery of server and software configuration, dynamically mapping application dependencies, and tracking changes to app and server environment in real-time. It compares server configurations to ensure consistency and compliance.
Role: Dev Manager
Responsibility:
Was responsible for development of VCM kernel module on HPUX platform. Built a team of 2 engineers. Spent considerable time in ramping up the team with the product architecture. The team added support for latest HP-UX releases (HPUX 11.11i, 11.23 PA,IA).
Programming Language used:
C

o Cross Product Integration between Veritas Cluster server and Veritas Automation manager
Role: Technical Lead
Responsibility:
Proposed architecture for integration between Veritas automation manager and Veritas Cluster Server.Proposed the low level design and UI specs. Worked with usability, UI and backend development team to kick start the implementation.

o Large scale object management
The number of software objects in VAM can be of the order of millions in the worst case. For better manageabilityof the objects, users must be allowed to categorize and group them based on certain object characteristics. Different SvF software components can use groups to refer to this collection of objects in an efficient and easy manner while performing various functionaloperations. The object grouping can also be used as filters for limiting the objects of interest in a UI view. The groups can also be used to define role based access control characteristics.
Role: Technical Lead
Responsibility:
Prepared the concept paper and the functional spec. Worked with the UI and backend team to see through the low level design. – less
A mixed bag
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAMarch 14, 2014
I was part of an acquisition. Integration was long, slow and incomplete. Work environment and general benefits were good.
Work life balance not good.

About Symantec

Symantec's future seems to be secure. The company provides security, storage, and systems management software for businesses and – Read more