Symantec

Symantec Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
software
Assist employees (Former Employee), ottawaMay 27, 2014
its a software not a company.we installed it to make a dayly backup
Non-Productive but secure place to work
EMEA Solutions Architect (Former Employee), EMEADecember 16, 2013
Pros: good wages, people are friendly
Cons: no processes
Symantec is a great company if you work in the right organization, the problem is that Saudi Branch Manager is supported by his manager in Dubai and making Lobby.

The technology is good, but onboarding process is very poor in the middle east
Productive and good workplace.
Sr. Technical Account Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: pros
Cons: cons
‘I know what I need to achieve and I am allowed to determine how best to achieve it. This draws on my skills as a manager which makes me feel valued as an employee.
no loyalty to employees
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2012
If all you are looking for is a good salary, they pay well. Otherwise, this is not a company that inspires employees.
Game Room/ coffee/lunch room.
Senior Online Web Content Specialist (Former Employee), TorontoAugust 31, 2012
Pros: free coffee room, software at discount, flexable work hours, 6 weeks max vacation.
The technical support team was like a family. Learned to support end users with software issues with various Symantec software packages. The co-workers were some of the best people I have ever worked with, I even to this day keep in contact with them as they became life time friends.
Fun place to work!
Email Security & Archiving Specialist (Current Employee), Markham, ONMay 4, 2012
Pros: share purchase plan, rrsp and lot more!
Cons: ? :)
* no comments at this time *

Tell us about:

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job

DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.
Very Productive and fun playing Ping Pong
Data Scientist, Intern (Former Employee), Mountain View, CASeptember 17, 2014
My job in Symantec is more on the research and prototyping side. I would encounter new technologies and ideas every day which was really exciting.
Excellent working environment with great professional growth.
Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee), Mountain View,CASeptember 16, 2014
Pros: work culture
* Productive and effective meetings
* Great team members to work with
* Transparent management
* Playing pool with Manager is fun
* Learned great deal about Agile development, RESTful Web services
Good history, current leadership turmoil
Enterprise Account Sales Executive (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: good people, competitive pay and benefits
Cons: executive turmoil creates uncertainty about the future direction.
Symantec overall has been a good place to work. Mostly good people and a supportive culture focused on winning business. In the last two years, there has been a huge turnover at the executive level along with layoffs at the manager and individual contributor level. Two CEOs were booted out by the board and departure of most of the senior VPs. THis has – more... obviously slowed the introduction of new products and created uncertainty about the future. – less
Great workplace
Information Delevoper (Former Employee), Pune, MHAugust 28, 2014
Very good company to work for. Great co-worker and great working environment.
Good Environment, inexperience middle management
Business Development Representative (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: good environment
Cons: poorly organized
Good place to work and people are really helpful/nice. However, there is not a growth path.
Well paid, comfy job nurturing mediocrity
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: not demanding, well paid, good benefits
Cons: uninspiring, some get stuck in one position, poor management
It really depends what you are on but in general Symantec is a place you will enjoy if you don't aim to do great things, need time to pick up your kids from school and work from home.

Mediocre/poor performing employees will stay there for years and getting fired takes a lot of effort.

The company as a whole lacks vision and organization. There are – more... multiple overlaps between teams even after a company wide reorganization.

I've been seeing same mistakes being repeated over and over again. – less
Good work/life balance and flexibility
Internal Communications Senior Manager (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 12, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: constant change in management
Good work/life balance and flexibility
There is a lot of management change which makes the job very challenging. People are friendly, despite the challenges.
Symantec has a great group of people to work with
Principal Financial Analyst - Products & Services (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: my co-workers, espresso machine and free milk to make lattes
Cons: uncertainty of the direction of the company
Symantec has a great group of people to work with. Most enjoyable part of my day is to be able to collaborate with my peers, solve issues for my business partners and add value to my day to day work.

Hardest part of the job is not knowing what direction the Company is headed. We are given tops down direction to solve for issues and weeks later, we – more... are solving for different issues. It makes my job tough to provide the necessary information to my business partners.

I have a great manager I work for. We have a great working relationship with the SVP and I enjoy collaborating with this group of individuals. – less
Technical PM at HP/Symantec
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 3, 2014
A typical day would be a busy day and I enjoy it. There is always some thing new to learn managerial and/or technical. We had a small team on site and most of the team was remote but we had multiple teams meeting everyday which kept us on same page. To bring different team members, technical and non-technical, on same page is challenging but I found – more... it fun too. I enjoy doing what I do and I love doing it. – less
Customer support
Customer Support Executive (Former Employee), ChennaiJuly 29, 2014
Attending queries, explaining new offers escalating issues to management
Productive work life
Software Developer Intern (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAJuly 29, 2014
Learned to develop good coding and debugging skills. This was my first job and I am glad I made my start with Symantec. They don't treat interns as "interns", they do consider their thought process and their coding work for production.
Good
Advance Technical Support Engineer in Symantec (Current Employee), IndiaJuly 28, 2014
Pros: rewards and recognition
Cons: limited growth options
• Deliver service and support to end-users using and operating automated call distribution phone software, via remote connection or over the Internet
• Interact with customers to provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns, and requests about products and services
• Gather customer’s information and determine the issue by evaluating – more... and analyzing the symptoms
• Identify and escalate priority issues per Client specifications;
• Installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications.

• Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks.

• Diagnosing and troubleshooting issue with Operating systems, Network, Hardware such as Robotic Libraries, Controllers (RAID, SCSI, SAS, FC), Removable drives

• Upgrade/Migration of the software

• Enabling debug and collecting the necessary logs. Log reading with advance tools.

• Testing and evaluation of the new software.

• Working with software development team to enhance the functionality of the product. – less
Working in challenging conditions which make you learn new things each day.
Database Developer / Data Analyst (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAJuly 27, 2014
Involved in the analysis, design, development of enhancement Requests for database.
Tuning existing Database so as to optimize the application performance.
Data Analysis and providing reports and statistics for making Business Decisions.
Good company but, management is a mess
Anonymous reviewer (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: good pay and benifits.
Cons: bad management.
Good company, some moves weren't calculated well, company is going through turmoil, need to get back on track! Management still has old timer mentality, plays favorites when coming to promotions or advancing deserved people, that culture needs to change. Till then, they will continue to bleed good employees!

1 2 3 4 5

About Symantec

Symantec's future seems to be secure. The company provides security, storage, and systems management software for businesses and – Read more