Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great for just teaching
TEACHER/TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
It is a great environment to get back to the teaching part of Education. Just working with the kids and helping each of them succeed without any planning or headaches of administrative work.
Pros
Nothing brought home
Cons
Only Part time
Excellent place to work part-time
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Not a lot of room for advancement and not many hours in the summers. Works for some students but not all. The program is proven to work, preferable to the Kumon approach.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no advancement opportunities, lack of hours
Part Time
Tutor and Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
Good if you want to get into teaching, shifts are shorter but you get to teach a variety of subjects.

Current centre director (June 2017) is a great director and really has the place running smoothly
Making a difference in the lives of children and families
Center Director (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB20 March 2017
Sylvan Learning Centres really offer programs that make a tangible difference in the lives of children and families, as children succeed in their academic goals.
Pros
Low teacher to Student Ratio
Cons
Busiest in the summer
Awesome place to work
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB1 February 2017
One of my favorite jobs. I worked here while still in high school and was able to balance a work schedule while studying for diploma examinations.
Supportive management and enjoyable workplace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON9 January 2017
Teaching academic reading, writing, math and French lessons for a wide range of students grade JK to 12, with work customized to student’s individual learning needs. Management was very accommodating to schedule changes and teaching resources were well provided.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough hours and far commute
Learnt a lot throughout this job.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 November 2016
Maintain a professional decorum in the main reception area, receive new and scheduled students/parents

Prepared and administer Sylvan Skills Assessments and provide enrollment kits for parents

Process accounts payable and accounts receivables duties; bank deposits and student account reconciliations

Volunteers – maintain volunteer database and recruit for BIA events as required
Poorly run by the franchise owners.
Centre Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Unfair hiring practices with salaries given out of desperation. Unfair sales tactics to win the business of families. Overworked for underpay. Unrealistic expectations of employees. Loud learning environment for students. Unethical business practices.
Pros
Speaking to parents and kids
Cons
Long hours with little recognition for going above and beyond
Work is rewarding. Pay is not.
Tutor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
Being a tutor at Sylvan must be viewed as what it is; a low paying hobby job. Since the turnover at these centers is very high/fast, most instructors do not even really consider the degree to which they are being taken advantage of financially, before they leave for greener pastures. For example, students pay $50/ hour and an instructor who tutors on average of 3 students per hour makes $10-$15/hour; a tenth of the incoming revenue. For whatever reason, judging from the majority of the reviews here, most Sylvan instructors think this is perfectly OK. This may be attributable to the fact that most Sylvan employees are housewives, retirees and/or students and are therefore able and willing to overlook the fact that the only person benefitting financially from the arrangement is the franchise owner. And in the context of a fun, hobby job it is rewarding to work with small numbers of students. These students do sometimes benefit from the very expensive attention given to them since the role of the instructor is to be a supportive, nurturing presence.

For most people Sylvan does not represent a career path but a filler or temporary job that can give a person extremely valuable insight into the necessity of labor unions and fair employment laws which Sylvan is barely within the parameters of, at times; and definitely clearly exploiting highly educated people and their credentials for personal gain. Make no mistake about that, if you choose to donate your time & talents to this organization.
Pros
A sense of personal satisfaction from connecting with students
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, sporadic shifts often cancelled at the last minute, being exploited by a corporate entity, questionable testing and performance assessments
productive working environment
mentor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 July 2016
I feel very happy helping children with their education. It is a great way of becoming patient, coping with level of stress and being able to handle sensitive situations.
Pros
experience
Cons
short working hours
Great experience and led to further opportunities.
Education Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 May 2016
The work is quite varied and interesting. I learned to be efficient with time maximizing learning for each student. Management was not consistent and it changed a lot. Co-workers worked well together. The hardest part of the job was that the salary was very low for qualified teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationship with the students and the success they achieved.
Good experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 April 2016
I enjoy working at Sylvan overall. The teachers and Director of the centre provide a positive atmosphere for everyone,
I teach students in a 3:1 ratio. subjects varying from English to Math to homework support.
Pros
working with kids and making a difference in their academic career.
Cons
teaching different subjects at one 1 time
Fun workplace with many learning opportunities
Instructor/Homework Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 March 2016
At Sylvan Learning, I worked as an instructor and a homework assistant for kids from ages 4 to 17. As a bilingual employee, I assisted the students who were attending Sylvan Learning for help with French. Students worked with me on an hourly basis and practiced grammar, reading and writing in French.
I worked with an excellent team of instructors and management who were friendly, respectful and professional.
With my job duties I was given the opportunity to learn how to work with children and adolescents, which taught me a unique set of interpersonal skills. My employment at Sylvan Learning taught me a lot of patience, which was the hardest part of the job, as working with children can be challenging at times, and requires one to have a very calm and positive attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with students and helping them learn new skills and gain confidence in their work.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Short shifts
Awesome exposure to working with kids and education.
Educational and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2015
I loved working at Sylvan Learning. I learned many tricks to the teaching career and learned how to handle many situations with children and parents.
Great environment for students to learn and grow
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Courtice, ONT12 June 2014
Sylvan learning Center provides the necessary tools and environment for aiding students from K-12. The amazing staff accommodate all students without hesitation and are always willing and ready. Management is handled most appropriately and efficiently. The job as a whole is quite enjoyable; being able to assist students and seeing them do well is the reward in itself!
Teacher
Academic Writing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary14 August 2013
Excellent place to work and gain experience, love my job

typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part
Friendly, productive and professional work environment
CENTRE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 April 2013
Great place to work, with an incredibly supporting management and the opportnity to learn and grow.

Work done here makes a difference in children's lives.
Director (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo,BC14 December 2012
A typical day at work was meeting with parents, assessing students and managing the teaching and parent conferencing.
Good staffing, great management.
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brantford, On22 October 2012
The centre in Brantford was well managed, and the staff at the time were well-trained and skilled in working with young people -- I learned a lot about teaching from them. It was a good job, and things ran pretty smoothly most shifts, even when students didn't show (which was not often). They allowed me to be flexible in how I presented the material, as I worked often with advanced students. It was a good experience for me.
Pros
short shifts, working with youth, sense of accomplishment
Cons
short shifts, evenings only, unrealistic salary
Friendly, supportive
Educator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2012
This school was very easy and relaxed to work at because of the people who worked there.
I tutored and enjoyed my students helping those that struggled.
I learned that environment in teaching should be relaxed and comfortable.
My co-workers were fun to work with as was management.
There was nothing hard about my job, i looked forward to coming to work each day.
Pros
fun, kind, easy-going, supportive
Cons
salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sylvan Learning Center Reviews by Location