Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews in Canada

Great experience and led to further opportunities.
Education Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 1, 2016
The work is quite varied and interesting. I learned to be efficient with time maximizing learning for each student. Management was not consistent and it changed a lot. Co-workers worked well together. The hardest part of the job was that the salary was very low for qualified teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationship with the students and the success they achieved.
Fun workplace with many learning opportunities
Instructor/Homework Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 3, 2016
At Sylvan Learning, I worked as an instructor and a homework assistant for kids from ages 4 to 17. As a bilingual employee, I assisted the students who were attending Sylvan Learning for help with French. Students worked with me on an hourly basis and practiced grammar, reading and writing in French.
I worked with an excellent team of instructors and management who were friendly, respectful and professional.
With my job duties I was given the opportunity to learn how to work with children and adolescents, which taught me a unique set of interpersonal skills. My employment at Sylvan Learning taught me a lot of patience, which was the hardest part of the job, as working with children can be challenging at times, and requires one to have a very calm and positive attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with students and helping them learn new skills and gain confidence in their work.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Short shifts
Awesome exposure to working with kids and education.
Educational and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 26, 2015
I loved working at Sylvan Learning. I learned many tricks to the teaching career and learned how to handle many situations with children and parents.
Great environment for students to learn and grow
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Courtice, ONTJune 12, 2014
Sylvan learning Center provides the necessary tools and environment for aiding students from K-12. The amazing staff accommodate all students without hesitation and are always willing and ready. Management is handled most appropriately and efficiently. The job as a whole is quite enjoyable; being able to assist students and seeing them do well is the reward in itself!
Teacher
Academic Writing Instructor (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 14, 2013
Excellent place to work and gain experience, love my job

typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part
Friendly, productive and professional work environment
CENTRE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONApril 11, 2013
Great place to work, with an incredibly supporting management and the opportnity to learn and grow.

Work done here makes a difference in children's lives.
Director (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo,BCDecember 14, 2012
A typical day at work was meeting with parents, assessing students and managing the teaching and parent conferencing.
Good staffing, great management.
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brantford, OnOctober 22, 2012
The centre in Brantford was well managed, and the staff at the time were well-trained and skilled in working with young people -- I learned a lot about teaching from them. It was a good job, and things ran pretty smoothly most shifts, even when students didn't show (which was not often). They allowed me to be flexible in how I presented the material, as I worked often with advanced students. It was a good experience for me.
Pros
short shifts, working with youth, sense of accomplishment
Cons
short shifts, evenings only, unrealistic salary
Friendly, supportive
Educator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 17, 2012
This school was very easy and relaxed to work at because of the people who worked there.
I tutored and enjoyed my students helping those that struggled.
I learned that environment in teaching should be relaxed and comfortable.
My co-workers were fun to work with as was management.
There was nothing hard about my job, i looked forward to coming to work each day.
Pros
fun, kind, easy-going, supportive
Cons
salary
Rewarding Job- Low Pay
Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 19, 2012
With the exception of salary and benefits, I have nothing but great things to say about Sylvan Fredericton. Friendly staff, great management and good kids. I loved going into work. With the low student-teacher ratio, you can development a strong rapport with the children and learn about their interests. Fantastic job!
Pros
great kids, supportive staff and management
Cons
pay
Great place to teach and learn at the same time.
Senior Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 10, 2012
Working a sylvan learning centre provided me with the opportunity of working with more than ten employees at the same time. As an instructor I had to meet my desired target and that not only included good grades for students but also make learning fun so we have more happy customers at the end of the day. I also helped with local advertising and new student recruitment.
Pros
friendly atmosphere.