Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

You work in a dungeon...
CSR (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 4, 2014
Sykes Saint John is probably the worst call center to work for. If you want a day off, you need to have it in writing 3 weeks in advance. But even with that, the day before they can change their mind and refuse to let you have the day off. If you need to leave to get your kid early or even a doctors appointment, if you miss 29min+ it gets counted as a half day missed.

Management will lie to your face before you get hired... So when you actually start, then they will give you your offer letter. So your already working there and if you left a half decent job, your stuck with horrible shifts and poor working environment.
Pros
at least it's a job
Cons
working there
Full time hours, and great co-workers.
Online Chat Agent (Current Employee) –  Miramichi, NBNovember 8, 2014
2-hour flex start times are not the greatest idea, because this results in possibly having to work in the middle of the day, where you can not do much before or after the shift. But this is expected upon taking up a full-time position in a call center environment.

Besides the specific issues mentioned, working for Sykes is a great experience, where one would meet very interesting co-workers and even more interesting management and supervisors. In this job one would eventually learn more about the service you are trained to deal with. The hardest part of the job is also the easiest; working with the customers of the company you work for. These customers range from highly respected business owners to people like you (the agent), and can cause quite a bit of stress that one would eventually learn to deal with or work around.
The most enjoyable part is your co-workers. The environment within the department one is placed in is a friendly environment, where friends are made and enemies are forgotten.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
lack of activities, non-flexible hours
Defintely a good place to work with fun people.
Bell Canada DMC (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 10, 2013
My hours were 1-10pm, the training classes were a bit misleading but easy to adjust and get use to. Most managers were very approachable and knowledgeable about the job and always made you feel like you were a part of the team, but also a very good place to learn the fundamentals of customer service and how to treat a customer in order to have the best experience for both the customer and the company, but the hardest part of the job was definitely having to be sitting down in a chair for the majority of the day where as I'd like to be on my feet and more personal than a phone call with customers. The best part of my job was the people I worked with, very friendly, fun to work with which made the day so much better to have such a positive environment.
Pros
amazing people, good pay, and not far from home.
Cons
lunches and breaks weren't paid for, very little opportunity for advancement
I am looking for a more positive environment to work in.
Cable Repair (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 29, 2014
The hardest part of my job is maintaining call control and the sense of urgency the company requires because some customers are irate due to their services being interrupted and it makes it difficult to work fast enough as you try to get customers off the phone in order to comply with the talk time established by the company.
The best part of working there is that there are people who work alongside you that give you guidance and support such as your teammates.
Management is very tough because Rogers has high standards as to talk time vs. call quality which was an asset in the banking environment.
I learned that I would prefer a job associated with sales then to working in technical support as I don't like being bossy.
A typical day at work is back to back calls about all kinds of cable repair related inquiries and repairs.
Pros
picking up shifts that are convenient to my home life
Cons
strict talk time rules
Stressful job but the people make it worth working there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 7, 2014
It is a highly stress-filled job but fun place to work. Typical day include taking calls from a wide range of customers and assisting them with a wide range of questions, inquires, problems, sales, troubleshooting with various products and services.
I have learned a lot in terms of customer relations and how the connection between company and customer and the important of that relationship.
Management was beyond phenomenal. Very supportive, willing to work with you to improve your system skills and customer relation skills and are understanding while being firm.
The hardest part of the job was the few rude and intensely angry customers who are not afraid to expressive how they feel about the company and by extensive you. This is what makes the job stressful
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Coworkers, floor support, supervisors, everyone was a joy to work with and made the day passable.
helping people with each and every question requested
lnbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 15, 2012
Starts out as a steady flow of calls, busier during peek hours, and slow down as the day goes on.
I have learned that each and every person and situation is different and is very exciting.
I have always got along with my co-workers, and help each other when needed as a family.
The hardest part of the job I found was when I was not able to help a customer (that was with my authority).
The most enjoyable part was when I can hear the customers were very please when I could help with their situation.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
having to share a computer and work station with many employees
Unique nursing style
Tele-Health RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 28, 2012
A typical day included making and receiving 30-60 calls per 8/10hr shift. Lots of overtime due to low staffing levels. Leadership skills are a must as I am normally a resource nurse and preceptor while doing my tele-triaging shifts. I have staff coming and asking clinical questions, policy questions, IT questions. I make sure the centre runs when the management is either too busy or not present on site. I think the redundancy is the hardest part of the job but with the other roles this balances out nicely. I love teaching and being in charge and helping all the staff from education to manager to floor nurses and seeing a progression in the right direction.
Pros
good schedule flexibility, professional environment, supportive team members, assisting patients with making health care decisions and promoting empowerment and autonomy.
Cons
long shifts, redundant type calls, work alone at night with no security
How a typical day of work in an insurance goes
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  PhillipinesJuly 18, 2013
Receive calls for client inquiry. Ranging from premium notice to how the life insurance works. Apply any misapplied premium starting 2000 up to current. Confirm username and password for online access for our client. Study and explain how policies are provided for our valued client. Being exposed this line of work has been a learning experience on how the life insurance works. Our Management has been able to provide good working experience. Able to work will be co-worker has allowed me to stay with the company for more than 7 years. What the hardest part of this job entails how to understand the policy and how it works. Not all polices are the same. Some policies are so complex that it will no allow us to see details about this polices on our resources. We just need how this policies works and fully understand this.
Pros
able to adapt to hard situation and overcome it
Cons
stress level is so high
Team spirit in a home based environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough OntarioNovember 7, 2013
I work from home so I enjoy the convenience of that. I have worked for Sykes for 4 years and have really advanced my interpersonal skills. The management is very approachable and is always there to help if needed. They provide support and coaching to allow for continuous growth and improvement. The hardest part of the job is that policies and procedures as well as products and services are always changing. Keeping up with these changes requires constant uptraining. I really enjoy helping people and solving problems. It gives me great pleasure to provide solutions which work well for the company and for it's customers.
Pros
work from home
Cons
repetative work
No support once you get on the floor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBDecember 26, 2012
The training was not what it should be we did not get any hands on training and when we got on the floor it felt like we were thrown to the wolveswork with a very friendly staff, but not very supportive
benefits
Cons
Alright if you need a paycheck
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough ONAugust 20, 2013
I would not recommend anyone to this business, there is not adaquet support for questions and concerns, the members of management do not have consistent information and scheduling is terrible.
benefits
Cons
too many to list.
Productive an great place to work
Remote Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  on lineSeptember 13, 2013
Productive,busy an a lil stressful,but i've learned to still smile an talk calm an nice to customers that are being very complicated.My manager was a great person an very hard working an always there to solve any problem that i could not,i had great co-workers an the hardest part of my job was to listen to people curse me an get very rude an irritated at me but i always found a way to smooth things out an the most enjoyable part of my job was talking to different people on a constant basis from all over the world an being able to totally satisfy my customers.
Pros
great pay an good health care benifits an 41k
Cons
short breaks
Very poor management skills
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 10, 2013
Have been working here for 7 months, and the people who approve time off and who set up your schedules are completely lacking organizational skills! they are terrible.
Also, when I started, I was told that I would get a certain not so great shift, for so long, and then I would be able to get a better one after a few months.
I had the terrible shift, for 4 months, then finally had a good shift for 3 weeks, then was forced into cross training, and am back to having a terrible shift again. There response, was "oh well, deal with it". To them , you are just a name on a screen, its terrible.
Pros
decent pay.
Cons
having to deal with terrible management
Great co-workers
Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 6, 2013
The people i met through Sykes were great coworkers and hard working people. The management staff was very supportive during very busy call flow times.
Pros
many overtime opportunities
Cons
no job security whatsoever
good place ti work but very stressful at times
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  windsor nsJuly 26, 2015
last going off we was back to back with calls taking inbound calls about billing and issues with there services I would go back if some things changed like getting things working right
Pros
got paid for breaks
Cons
hard to get a day off
Sykes is very demanding but great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONJune 16, 2014
Sykes management team is very accommodating of employees need and the open door policy is great.
Pros
medical benefit
Cons
Better to have a call center at location and not at home
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Home-BasedAugust 25, 2014
Like all Third Party Call Centers, there is very little the head management can do regarding regulations, hours needed, time off, etc. These details and the 10 days allowed to be missed per year for any reason, including funerals; illness; etc are not appropriate for a balanced life. For a Third Party Call Center, I will say this is the best I have seen so far as the staff and management are very kind and a pleasure to work work
Pros
nice staff and managers
Cons
bad structure
retention
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 27, 2015
I retained existing customers. unfortunalty they forze our salaries undefintly and removed all promised bonuses. no room for advancement .
Pros
no longer an employee
Cons
poor work atmosphere
very organised and professional organisation
Customer Care representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2015
team leaders and life coaches are very helpful and encouraging. very organized institution.
gives training before hand on work which is very helpful.
Pros
professional and encouraging environment
Productive work center - Occasional work appreciation dinners
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBApril 30, 2014
* My typical day at work consisted of taking inbound calls and dealing with clients.
* I learned hard work pays off.
* Management was dependable and efficient in helping
* Co-workers were not easily accessible or pleasant
* The hardest part of the job was having to deal with clients who were difficult to deal with, made derogatory remarks to me and used foul language
* The most enjoyable part was rewards

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Reviews by Location