Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

Good paying job with lots of overtime available
Bell Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMay 3, 2013
A typical day at work is answering phone calls about billing all day long. I learned a lot about researching information and handling confidential information. Management unfortunately was usually to busy to help with anything and sometimes had to refuse customers opportunities to speak with them. Didn't get to know co-workers that well because you are on calls all day long and didn't have much time inbetween. The hardest part of the job was dealing with several irrate customers every day. The enjoyable part was helping kind customers who understood and did everything possible to make my job easier and to help them faster!
Cons
long hours, mandatory holidays or over time, not much help from management, customers yell at you
Bon pour les étudiants, difficle d'avancer loin dans le métier.
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QCSeptember 30, 2015
La fête se fait après Noël, malheureusement. Sinon, c'est bon pour un étudiant qui a besoin d'arrondir ses fin du mois. Préparez vous à travailler durant vos études.
Pros
Les travailleurs sont toujours souriant.
Cons
Trop de roulement.
Usual call centre enviroment, had a T.V. room.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint JohnSeptember 21, 2015
Wasn't a bad place to work, the days were long, and the way the seating was made me feel disconnected from my co-workers. They did have a smoking hut that made me feel like they weren't prejudice towards smokers the way some places can be.
Pros
The pay.
Cons
The seating.
lacked a sense of customer orientation
Tech Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLMarch 8, 2015
The call centre work life was not suited to me. My experience in Customer service work prioritized customer satisfaction whereas this business prioritized call turnover rates instead of customer satisfaction and problem resolution. It was not a good fit for my personality. As each employee succeeded in their goals, they were squeezed to accomplish more until it was next to impossible to accomplish what the employer was seeking and still accomplish the intended goals with the restrictions put in place.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
no respect or privacy
Awesome place to work
Roadside assistance agent (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 16, 2015
Fast paced, every call was different, great staff, excellent trainers, very interesting job love helping others. Team players, extra work if wanted
if you are a phone and computer person and have a great sales voice its a good job
Sales Represenitive (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONAugust 12, 2013
a day at work is you come in set your programs up get on the phone lines start up selling helping and letting the costumers know about the promotions and new things that are coming they're way

I've learned to talk on the phone along with typing on computer looking at flyer's to help and say my introduction

Management is good they love to pump up the crowed and let us know that up-selling and making the costumer happy is the number one key to the company,

hardest part about that job is sitting for 8 hours sometimes longer

most enjoyable part about that job is to really help the costumer out
Pros
get to talk to alot of interesting people
Cons
sitting for a long period of time
Fast paced, long hours and great pay.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSMay 28, 2012
Typical day is usually an 8-10 hour shift, answering inbound calls. I learned a lot about the company I was working for. Management was alright for the most part. Coworkers were okay, a lot of them were cranky because of the long hours and stressful work. Hardest part of the job was the stressful long hours, dealing with complaints on every call and getting an average off 150 calls a day. Most enjoyable part was the money. If you worked all your shifts, you made 11.25 an hour. Excellent money.
Pros
great pay.
Cons
long hours.
Fun Workplace!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Great place to work, especially if you want to work from home! Amazing staff and co workers. I advanced quickly, however don't see anymore opportunities for further advancement. Hours seem to slow down a lot more, and I find myself not getting what I should be for being full time.
Pros
work from home, flexible hours, great management
Cons
no room for advancement, hours during down time
Productive environment
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONJuly 18, 2015
I learned all the basics of customer service for inquiries on billing and general complaints, propositioning sales, and making rebuttals. The co-workers were driven, fun individuals, always friendly. A typical day we're all just in an environment trying to complete sales in fun and rewarding ways. Meetings sales objectives, top 5, it was all about trying to make sales worthwhile.
Pros
Sales initiatives
Not so fun
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  CairoMay 29, 2012
I didn't like it there.

They have religious conflicts.

The salary is not good either.
Working multiple systems, stressful situations, great people
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Sykes is an interesting place to work. In a typical day you have to use 8-12 different systems that you have to work while trying to sell services to a customer. Over the years there I learned a lot about bell products and services and how to position and rebuttal customers. The management there is good, there is just a lot of coaching and expectations when it comes to sales. But in the end I have made a lot of friends working there and have gotten to know the management quite well. My co workers are great people and I have really enjoyed working with them over my last three and a half years. The hardest part of my job is when you have someone calling in that is 70-80 years old and they need tech support but I still need to make an attempt to sell services. But in the end the people that I work with are who made the job fun and have helped me out with my calls and being there outside of work.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
work schedule and breaks changing constantly
Be Prepared
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 17, 2015
A wise person once said "if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all."

Working from home is really nice but it pretty much stops there.
Pros
save on gas money, able to wear what you would like, no common office atmosphere
Cons
no schedule reliability, no upper management accountability, false promises, no permanent advancement, no position stability, almost zero communication
Worst job I have ever had...
inbound customer care (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 19, 2012
Horrible. Management is constantly yelling to the whole room while we're on the phones dealing with irate customers, who then get upset that we can't hear them. No room for advancement, promotions were a popularity contest (someone with horrible stats got chosen for a promotion over someone with perfect stats because he was another supervisor's boyfriend). hours were a joke, we were promised to get better hours with seniority, whereas new hires were given the best shifts over people who had been there for years. Next to no job security. Someone got fired after having one metric not meet target for one month (when they always had perfect metrics). "Team Leaders", Supervisors, Managers etc were very rude and condescending, seemed to be on a constant power trip.They really don't like to answer your questions in order for you to help a customer... Not lenient on days off at all, I personally witnessed people getting fired constantly for being sick for "too long a period of time", even if they were not over their allowed amount of sick days. Made up excuses for firing people that were not legitimate reasons, but still shady enough so people couldn't claim wrongful dismissal... Very sneaky... Only good part of the job was getting paid and commission, and even then, some employees didn't receive thousands of dollars of commissions that they had earned last christmas, and never received adequate compensation for it. I don't exaggerate AT ALL when i say thousands of dollars. A friend of mine earned over $4500.00 in commission and only received $500.00 of it.NOTE: THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR  more... ALL SYKES LOCATIONS!!! This is just my personal experience at the location I worked at. Don't let this deter you from seeking a job there, as it is good pay, just make sure you ask HR a lot of questions during your interview, and know how to stand up for yourself in these situations...  less
Pros
great co-workers, more helpful than management and supervisory staff
Cons
everything else
rude unprofessional supervisors
customer service (Former Employee) –  Sydney nova ScotiaMarch 1, 2013
While working at Sykes. Training was not bad was fun and made the job seem like its gonna be easy until a week in their training was down and we were basically thrown on the floor without much training. God forbid if we had to have our signs up for help. Waited forever for so called floor support. Even one day had a fight break one with a floor support throwing a garbage can at a supervisor. Its a very unprofessional company and the supervisors are horrible well not all their were two good ones. The hours were horrible and having to call off cause your actually sick is a hassle. Another there is the supervisors talk about you and yell at you as if you are a child. Out of all the jobs I've worked this one is far the worst one yet.
Cons
supervisors are rude. long hours short breaks ans horrible shift bids.
decent commission
Telemarketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 1, 2015
working for this company you had the opportunity for commission on all sales however you had to make the top 10% in order to receive the full bonus.
Pros
decent commission
Cons
had to make top 10% for full bonuses
good place ti work but very stressful at times
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  windsor nsJuly 26, 2015
last going off we was back to back with calls taking inbound calls about billing and issues with there services I would go back if some things changed like getting things working right
Pros
got paid for breaks
Cons
hard to get a day off
Defintely a good place to work with fun people.
Bell Canada DMC (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 10, 2013
My hours were 1-10pm, the training classes were a bit misleading but easy to adjust and get use to. Most managers were very approachable and knowledgeable about the job and always made you feel like you were a part of the team, but also a very good place to learn the fundamentals of customer service and how to treat a customer in order to have the best experience for both the customer and the company, but the hardest part of the job was definitely having to be sitting down in a chair for the majority of the day where as I'd like to be on my feet and more personal than a phone call with customers. The best part of my job was the people I worked with, very friendly, fun to work with which made the day so much better to have such a positive environment.
Pros
amazing people, good pay, and not far from home.
Cons
lunches and breaks weren't paid for, very little opportunity for advancement
You work in a dungeon...
CSR (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 4, 2014
Sykes Saint John is probably the worst call center to work for. If you want a day off, you need to have it in writing 3 weeks in advance. But even with that, the day before they can change their mind and refuse to let you have the day off. If you need to leave to get your kid early or even a doctors appointment, if you miss 29min+ it gets counted as a half day missed.

Management will lie to your face before you get hired... So when you actually start, then they will give you your offer letter. So your already working there and if you left a half decent job, your stuck with horrible shifts and poor working environment.
Pros
at least it's a job
Cons
working there
Full time hours, and great co-workers.
Online Chat Agent (Current Employee) –  Miramichi, NBNovember 8, 2014
2-hour flex start times are not the greatest idea, because this results in possibly having to work in the middle of the day, where you can not do much before or after the shift. But this is expected upon taking up a full-time position in a call center environment.

Besides the specific issues mentioned, working for Sykes is a great experience, where one would meet very interesting co-workers and even more interesting management and supervisors. In this job one would eventually learn more about the service you are trained to deal with. The hardest part of the job is also the easiest; working with the customers of the company you work for. These customers range from highly respected business owners to people like you (the agent), and can cause quite a bit of stress that one would eventually learn to deal with or work around.
The most enjoyable part is your co-workers. The environment within the department one is placed in is a friendly environment, where friends are made and enemies are forgotten.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
lack of activities, non-flexible hours
friendly environment with lots of amenities provied to employees,people are always smiling and happy and energetic
Financial Customer Service Representative/CLIENT (Current Employee) –  CanadaAugust 4, 2012
A typical day at work for me is always productive
I learned a lot on how to have more patience and have an excellent customer service experience
The management is very fair and considerate
My co workers are always willing to help and to show their willingness to motivate and encourage evreryone
The hardest part of the job is when the customer is requesting an impossible thing
The most enjoyable part of my job here was during the time that the customer was so upset but later on she/he will be happy for the resolution and service that i provided to them,its a compliment and really fulfilling

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Reviews by Location