Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews

Good pay/benefits and good friends. Nothing more.
Customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Riverview, nbJuly 16, 2014
The only thing this place had going for it was the great people they hired, the salary and the bluecross benefits, it's a shame about the fleas, mice, dust, poor management and overall poor quality of work and environment.
Pros
great people, made many long term friends, great salary, good benefits.
Cons
too many to list, see my review for the tip of the iceberg.
rude unprofessional supervisors
customer service (Former Employee) –  Sydney nova ScotiaMarch 1, 2013
While working at Sykes. Training was not bad was fun and made the job seem like its gonna be easy until a week in their training was down and we were basically thrown on the floor without much training. God forbid if we had to have our signs up for help. Waited forever for so called floor support. Even one day had a fight break one with a floor support throwing a garbage can at a supervisor. Its a very unprofessional company and the supervisors are horrible well not all their were two good ones. The hours were horrible and having to call off cause your actually sick is a hassle. Another there is the supervisors talk about you and yell at you as if you are a child. Out of all the jobs I've worked this one is far the worst one yet.
Cons
supervisors are rude. long hours short breaks ans horrible shift bids.
enjoyable place to work because you have the sense of helping others
CSR Roadside Assistance (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 26, 2015
- interacted with towers and dealers to aid clients
- assisted clients to the best of ability in providing roadside service
- sold roadside insurance coverage

- learned a lot about towing certain vehicles--such as 4 x 4 where the tower has to use "specials" like flatbed etc

- learned about the "transporting" of certain higher end vehicles

- learned Lexus lockout procedures

- the most difficult part of the job was being able to tow the client's vehicle but then depending on coverage could not provided them meals, hotel, etc

- the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist motorists in need

***** I worked for Sykes under my maiden name Lori Leslie
and I.m not 100% sure on the dates.....my Supervisor was Shannon Lidkea *****
Pros
can work from home...good pay
Cons
night and weekend work and especially Holiday work
friendly environment with lots of amenities provied to employees,people are always smiling and happy and energetic
Financial Customer Service Representative/CLIENT (Current Employee) –  CanadaAugust 4, 2012
A typical day at work for me is always productive
I learned a lot on how to have more patience and have an excellent customer service experience
The management is very fair and considerate
My co workers are always willing to help and to show their willingness to motivate and encourage evreryone
The hardest part of the job is when the customer is requesting an impossible thing
The most enjoyable part of my job here was during the time that the customer was so upset but later on she/he will be happy for the resolution and service that i provided to them,its a compliment and really fulfilling
Fast paced work place.
Technical support for cell phones (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 2, 2015
An enjoyable work place.
Quick change over in staff due to ever changing products and job requirements.
Fast paced and continuous learning.
Pros
Swag from the client
Cons
Dark basement office.
Productive place to work
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSOctober 25, 2015
It was a productive place, and some of the people there were good, but I didn't like that they let some people get away with anything jst because they are good at selling or they were just afraid to loose people
Pros
great wages
Cons
being lazy
Defintely a good place to work with fun people.
Bell Canada DMC (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 10, 2013
My hours were 1-10pm, the training classes were a bit misleading but easy to adjust and get use to. Most managers were very approachable and knowledgeable about the job and always made you feel like you were a part of the team, but also a very good place to learn the fundamentals of customer service and how to treat a customer in order to have the best experience for both the customer and the company, but the hardest part of the job was definitely having to be sitting down in a chair for the majority of the day where as I'd like to be on my feet and more personal than a phone call with customers. The best part of my job was the people I worked with, very friendly, fun to work with which made the day so much better to have such a positive environment.
Pros
amazing people, good pay, and not far from home.
Cons
lunches and breaks weren't paid for, very little opportunity for advancement
You work in a dungeon...
CSR (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 4, 2014
Sykes Saint John is probably the worst call center to work for. If you want a day off, you need to have it in writing 3 weeks in advance. But even with that, the day before they can change their mind and refuse to let you have the day off. If you need to leave to get your kid early or even a doctors appointment, if you miss 29min+ it gets counted as a half day missed.

Management will lie to your face before you get hired... So when you actually start, then they will give you your offer letter. So your already working there and if you left a half decent job, your stuck with horrible shifts and poor working environment.
Pros
at least it's a job
Cons
working there
I am looking for a more positive environment to work in.
Cable Repair (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 29, 2014
The hardest part of my job is maintaining call control and the sense of urgency the company requires because some customers are irate due to their services being interrupted and it makes it difficult to work fast enough as you try to get customers off the phone in order to comply with the talk time established by the company.
The best part of working there is that there are people who work alongside you that give you guidance and support such as your teammates.
Management is very tough because Rogers has high standards as to talk time vs. call quality which was an asset in the banking environment.
I learned that I would prefer a job associated with sales then to working in technical support as I don't like being bossy.
A typical day at work is back to back calls about all kinds of cable repair related inquiries and repairs.
Pros
picking up shifts that are convenient to my home life
Cons
strict talk time rules
Horrible place to work.
"Customer Service" (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, OnMarch 28, 2015
Was promised fulltime and good benefits. The hours were slashed as well as the benefits. I was also hired as Customer Service not Inside Sales. Sykes will write employees up if they don't make the sales quotas. They also refuse to pay for any breaks, you will be on the phone for 8/9 hours and expect your schedule to change hourly. They will not tell you when this will happen and write you up if your late
Cons
Consistent BS
helping people with each and every question requested
lnbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 15, 2012
Starts out as a steady flow of calls, busier during peek hours, and slow down as the day goes on.
I have learned that each and every person and situation is different and is very exciting.
I have always got along with my co-workers, and help each other when needed as a family.
The hardest part of the job I found was when I was not able to help a customer (that was with my authority).
The most enjoyable part was when I can hear the customers were very please when I could help with their situation.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
having to share a computer and work station with many employees
Unique nursing style
Tele-Health RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 28, 2012
A typical day included making and receiving 30-60 calls per 8/10hr shift. Lots of overtime due to low staffing levels. Leadership skills are a must as I am normally a resource nurse and preceptor while doing my tele-triaging shifts. I have staff coming and asking clinical questions, policy questions, IT questions. I make sure the centre runs when the management is either too busy or not present on site. I think the redundancy is the hardest part of the job but with the other roles this balances out nicely. I love teaching and being in charge and helping all the staff from education to manager to floor nurses and seeing a progression in the right direction.
Pros
good schedule flexibility, professional environment, supportive team members, assisting patients with making health care decisions and promoting empowerment and autonomy.
Cons
long shifts, redundant type calls, work alone at night with no security
Full time hours, and great co-workers.
Online Chat Agent (Current Employee) –  Miramichi, NBNovember 8, 2014
2-hour flex start times are not the greatest idea, because this results in possibly having to work in the middle of the day, where you can not do much before or after the shift. But this is expected upon taking up a full-time position in a call center environment.

Besides the specific issues mentioned, working for Sykes is a great experience, where one would meet very interesting co-workers and even more interesting management and supervisors. In this job one would eventually learn more about the service you are trained to deal with. The hardest part of the job is also the easiest; working with the customers of the company you work for. These customers range from highly respected business owners to people like you (the agent), and can cause quite a bit of stress that one would eventually learn to deal with or work around.
The most enjoyable part is your co-workers. The environment within the department one is placed in is a friendly environment, where friends are made and enemies are forgotten.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
lack of activities, non-flexible hours
Stressful job but the people make it worth working there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 7, 2014
It is a highly stress-filled job but fun place to work. Typical day include taking calls from a wide range of customers and assisting them with a wide range of questions, inquires, problems, sales, troubleshooting with various products and services.
I have learned a lot in terms of customer relations and how the connection between company and customer and the important of that relationship.
Management was beyond phenomenal. Very supportive, willing to work with you to improve your system skills and customer relation skills and are understanding while being firm.
The hardest part of the job was the few rude and intensely angry customers who are not afraid to expressive how they feel about the company and by extensive you. This is what makes the job stressful
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. Coworkers, floor support, supervisors, everyone was a joy to work with and made the day passable.
How a typical day of work in an insurance goes
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  PhillipinesJuly 18, 2013
Receive calls for client inquiry. Ranging from premium notice to how the life insurance works. Apply any misapplied premium starting 2000 up to current. Confirm username and password for online access for our client. Study and explain how policies are provided for our valued client. Being exposed this line of work has been a learning experience on how the life insurance works. Our Management has been able to provide good working experience. Able to work will be co-worker has allowed me to stay with the company for more than 7 years. What the hardest part of this job entails how to understand the policy and how it works. Not all polices are the same. Some policies are so complex that it will no allow us to see details about this polices on our resources. We just need how this policies works and fully understand this.
Pros
able to adapt to hard situation and overcome it
Cons
stress level is so high
Team spirit in a home based environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough OntarioNovember 7, 2013
I work from home so I enjoy the convenience of that. I have worked for Sykes for 4 years and have really advanced my interpersonal skills. The management is very approachable and is always there to help if needed. They provide support and coaching to allow for continuous growth and improvement. The hardest part of the job is that policies and procedures as well as products and services are always changing. Keeping up with these changes requires constant uptraining. I really enjoy helping people and solving problems. It gives me great pleasure to provide solutions which work well for the company and for it's customers.
Pros
work from home
Cons
repetative work
Bon pour les étudiants, difficle d'avancer loin dans le métier.
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QCSeptember 30, 2015
La fête se fait après Noël, malheureusement. Sinon, c'est bon pour un étudiant qui a besoin d'arrondir ses fin du mois. Préparez vous à travailler durant vos études.
Pros
Les travailleurs sont toujours souriant.
Cons
Trop de roulement.
No support once you get on the floor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBDecember 26, 2012
The training was not what it should be we did not get any hands on training and when we got on the floor it felt like we were thrown to the wolveswork with a very friendly staff, but not very supportive
benefits
Cons
Alright if you need a paycheck
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough ONAugust 20, 2013
I would not recommend anyone to this business, there is not adaquet support for questions and concerns, the members of management do not have consistent information and scheduling is terrible.
benefits
Cons
too many to list.
Productive an great place to work
Remote Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  on lineSeptember 13, 2013
Productive,busy an a lil stressful,but i've learned to still smile an talk calm an nice to customers that are being very complicated.My manager was a great person an very hard working an always there to solve any problem that i could not,i had great co-workers an the hardest part of my job was to listen to people curse me an get very rude an irritated at me but i always found a way to smooth things out an the most enjoyable part of my job was talking to different people on a constant basis from all over the world an being able to totally satisfy my customers.
Pros
great pay an good health care benifits an 41k
Cons
short breaks

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Reviews by Location