SYKES Enterprises, Incorporated

1.3K reviews

SYKES Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews

Worst job I have ever had...
inbound customer care (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 19, 2012
Horrible. Management is constantly yelling to the whole room while we're on the phones dealing with irate customers, who then get upset that we can't hear them. No room for advancement, promotions were a popularity contest (someone with horrible stats got chosen for a promotion over someone with perfect stats because he was another supervisor's boyfriend). hours were a joke, we were promised to get better hours with seniority, whereas new hires were given the best shifts over people who had been there for years. Next to no job security. Someone got fired after having one metric not meet target for one month (when they always had perfect metrics). "Team Leaders", Supervisors, Managers etc were very rude and condescending, seemed to be on a constant power trip.They really don't like to answer your questions in order for you to help a customer... Not lenient on days off at all, I personally witnessed people getting fired constantly for being sick for "too long a period of time", even if they were not over their allowed amount of sick days. Made up excuses for firing people that were not legitimate reasons, but still shady enough so people couldn't claim wrongful dismissal... Very sneaky... Only good part of the job was getting paid and commission, and even then, some employees didn't receive thousands of dollars of commissions that they had earned last christmas, and never received adequate compensation for it. I don't exaggerate AT ALL when i say thousands of dollars. A friend of mine earned over $4500.00 in commission and only received $500.00 of it.NOTE: THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR  more... ALL SYKES LOCATIONS!!! This is just my personal experience at the location I worked at. Don't let this deter you from seeking a job there, as it is good pay, just make sure you ask HR a lot of questions during your interview, and know how to stand up for yourself in these situations...  less
Pros
great co-workers, more helpful than management and supervisory staff
Cons
everything else
sucked the life out of me
csr (Former Employee) –  Lindsay ONFebruary 4, 2014
does sykes ever read these reviews TRAINING, MANAGEMENT complaints. How did these people get these positions???? TRAINING department needs a complete overhaul. Won't listen to csr ideas for improvement BUT will submit the ideas as there own and get recognition for it. B-------. If you need help you can ask 5 different supervisors and you get 5 different answers. It is a JOKE. The favoritism is unbelievable. Equipment issues on a daily basis and we would get in trouble for hook time. I miss co-workers and my paycheck but I have my sanity. Sykes should wake up and do a complete evaluation of the Lindsay location. NEW management and TRAINING department would turn this location. They start a training class of 20 and end up with 2 that stay. A NEW APPROACH to hiring, training and retention of employees would turn this bad situation into an excellent place to be employed. WAKE UP HEAD OFFICE!!!!!!!!
Pros
relationships with co workers, fun environment, fund raising events, commission, health care benefits package was excellent
Cons
not being properly trained and supervisors not being properly trained
Inbound sales
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONOctober 28, 2014
Alot of systems to take in when first starting but being on the phones made it a lot easier to understand . Excellent for learning customer service and getting to know how to properly approach customers needs while making sales opportunities. Some customers are fantastic , others are very brutal to the agents even though they cannot control the issue and the anger is meant for the company. Could be hard to understand customer at times with the headsets- language barriers and extreme noise issues. Customers would complain about hearing all of the other agents around the desk and that also made it hard to hear the customer. It was great that there is always full time hours, benefits and great perks but it's a highly stressful place. Supervisors aren't always as helpful as they need to be , adding more stress to agents on the phone. This can create a poor positioning for sales which affects the agents job status, little sales or low percentages means the agent can be in the position to loose their job. However , overall , the company itself is fantastic.
Pros
full time, benefits, perks
Cons
some long hours, stressful
Full time hours, and great co-workers.
Online Chat Agent (Current Employee) –  Miramichi, NBNovember 8, 2014
2-hour flex start times are not the greatest idea, because this results in possibly having to work in the middle of the day, where you can not do much before or after the shift. But this is expected upon taking up a full-time position in a call center environment.

Besides the specific issues mentioned, working for Sykes is a great experience, where one would meet very interesting co-workers and even more interesting management and supervisors. In this job one would eventually learn more about the service you are trained to deal with. The hardest part of the job is also the easiest; working with the customers of the company you work for. These customers range from highly respected business owners to people like you (the agent), and can cause quite a bit of stress that one would eventually learn to deal with or work around.
The most enjoyable part is your co-workers. The environment within the department one is placed in is a friendly environment, where friends are made and enemies are forgotten.
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
lack of activities, non-flexible hours
rude unprofessional supervisors
customer service (Former Employee) –  Sydney nova ScotiaMarch 1, 2013
While working at Sykes. Training was not bad was fun and made the job seem like its gonna be easy until a week in their training was down and we were basically thrown on the floor without much training. God forbid if we had to have our signs up for help. Waited forever for so called floor support. Even one day had a fight break one with a floor support throwing a garbage can at a supervisor. Its a very unprofessional company and the supervisors are horrible well not all their were two good ones. The hours were horrible and having to call off cause your actually sick is a hassle. Another there is the supervisors talk about you and yell at you as if you are a child. Out of all the jobs I've worked this one is far the worst one yet.
Cons
supervisors are rude. long hours short breaks ans horrible shift bids.
great coworkers / lots of weekly incentives
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 17, 2014
fast paced, constant feedback - online learning - We worked best as a team, helping each other. We came from different Call Centres and were able to provide lots of different input to Management. Sykes offers lots of resources with offers to work from home or travel to work and they provide training and are willing to help you succeed. Training starts in the classroom, where we had some fun getting to know our classmates, instructors and Management team.. Our trainer was exceptional at being able to train, and deal with different behaviours. This person made sure to include everyone. On the floor was ongoing learning. Sykes offered Medical and Dental benefits. I was also able to approach anyone in Management, which can be difficult. Sykes didn't put up barriers.
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
low salary
Defintely a good place to work with fun people.
Bell Canada DMC (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 10, 2013
My hours were 1-10pm, the training classes were a bit misleading but easy to adjust and get use to. Most managers were very approachable and knowledgeable about the job and always made you feel like you were a part of the team, but also a very good place to learn the fundamentals of customer service and how to treat a customer in order to have the best experience for both the customer and the company, but the hardest part of the job was definitely having to be sitting down in a chair for the majority of the day where as I'd like to be on my feet and more personal than a phone call with customers. The best part of my job was the people I worked with, very friendly, fun to work with which made the day so much better to have such a positive environment.
Pros
amazing people, good pay, and not far from home.
Cons
lunches and breaks weren't paid for, very little opportunity for advancement
Working multiple systems, stressful situations, great people
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Sykes is an interesting place to work. In a typical day you have to use 8-12 different systems that you have to work while trying to sell services to a customer. Over the years there I learned a lot about bell products and services and how to position and rebuttal customers. The management there is good, there is just a lot of coaching and expectations when it comes to sales. But in the end I have made a lot of friends working there and have gotten to know the management quite well. My co workers are great people and I have really enjoyed working with them over my last three and a half years. The hardest part of my job is when you have someone calling in that is 70-80 years old and they need tech support but I still need to make an attempt to sell services. But in the end the people that I work with are who made the job fun and have helped me out with my calls and being there outside of work.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
work schedule and breaks changing constantly
Worse job ever
inbound customer service (Former Employee) –  Lindsay OntarioJanuary 17, 2014
All this job is , is SALES SALES SALES
You are not told in the interview of the high pressure sales part of the job and you have to push 3 times in a call.......really.....if a customer says NO, then the chances are they mean NO.....and then you have to push again....really...what part of NO don't you understand??......and then you have to push again - How to really upset the customer!!!!
If you don't make sales you are fired....not told that in the interview.
Your calls are monitored and if they think you messed up they take your commission off you for the last week or whatever.
The standard of training is terrible and then you are dumped out on the floor to deal with customers yourself and the so called help available is abysmal.
If you want to keep your sanity DONT WORK HERE! If you want to go home with a headache and probably crying your eyes out - then go for it - don't say you were not warned!!
Pros
full time & benifits
Cons
none what so ever
Sales and Customer Service should be seperate
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Saint JohnJune 12, 2014
Very good company to work for, always offering additional training to improve your interpersonal skills. I learned a variety of different software's, sales techniques, product information, and the overall satisfaction of helping a customer. Management are very personable people, they are not the type to just hide behind doors, co-workers are likes friends and family. This is a very high stressed job, abiding by 7 steps in a call flow as well as 7 different statistics to meet. Calls never come in the way you would expect so the call flow is very difficult to maintain. The most enjoyable part about the job is having friends to laugh with when there is time to relax and sit back.
benefits
Cons
sales quota
a fun job.
s2s agent,and outbound agent. (Former Employee) –  sydney nova scotiaJuly 15, 2014
a typical day at sykes was getting clocked in loading up and hitting the phones. I learned alot while working at sykes, a big thing would be how to speak to customer's,and have the necessary patience to work with the customer. The managment was great always friendly and always there when needed. The co workers were all great the odd time you'd get a co worker who was obnoxious or rude but not often. the hardest part of the job was having the patience to deal with some situations. The most enjoyable thing about the job was speaking to hundreds of different people every day, and putting yourself in their shoes to help solve their problem.
Pros
benifits, great people, never boring.
Cons
long hours, staying in one spot.
Good paying job with lots of overtime available
Bell Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMay 3, 2013
A typical day at work is answering phone calls about billing all day long. I learned a lot about researching information and handling confidential information. Management unfortunately was usually to busy to help with anything and sometimes had to refuse customers opportunities to speak with them. Didn't get to know co-workers that well because you are on calls all day long and didn't have much time inbetween. The hardest part of the job was dealing with several irrate customers every day. The enjoyable part was helping kind customers who understood and did everything possible to make my job easier and to help them faster!
Cons
long hours, mandatory holidays or over time, not much help from management, customers yell at you
Inbound customer service repersentative for Rogers loyalty department. Halifax work from home.
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  HalifaxNovember 12, 2013
Take inbound calls for Rogers loyalty dept, help customers with billing issues, create work orders for cable internet and home phone. Cell phone upgrades and sales for all services. Take a variety of different calls as every call is different. I have leaned to listen to the customers needs and help to the best of my ability. For the sales part of the job listen to clues on what would best suit the customers needs. I work from home so I really do not have to much contact with my co-workers but when I worked at the centre make alot of friends. The hardest part of my job would be the seclusion of it and not getting to meet new people. The most enjoyable part of my job would be to resolve the customers issue and when the customer is happy and satisfied.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  NB, CanadaMay 31, 2012
1- Training was inadequate
2- Working out of province, company didn't know labour laws for other provinces
3- When benefits were supposed to kick in they didn't after 4 months
4- They constantly tell you you're doing fine etc then drop the bombshell that if you don't pick it up that you'll be let go...
5- It would take 3 weeks to get my pay stub
6- Management seemed confused a lot of the time.
7- You're often told to pitch something (new) to customers that you haven't had training for.
Pros
the pay isn't too bad
Cons
too many cons!!
Productive an great place to work
Remote Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  on lineSeptember 13, 2013
Productive,busy an a lil stressful,but i've learned to still smile an talk calm an nice to customers that are being very complicated.My manager was a great person an very hard working an always there to solve any problem that i could not,i had great co-workers an the hardest part of my job was to listen to people curse me an get very rude an irritated at me but i always found a way to smooth things out an the most enjoyable part of my job was talking to different people on a constant basis from all over the world an being able to totally satisfy my customers.
Pros
great pay an good health care benifits an 41k
Cons
short breaks
Very poor management skills
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 10, 2013
Have been working here for 7 months, and the people who approve time off and who set up your schedules are completely lacking organizational skills! they are terrible.
Also, when I started, I was told that I would get a certain not so great shift, for so long, and then I would be able to get a better one after a few months.
I had the terrible shift, for 4 months, then finally had a good shift for 3 weeks, then was forced into cross training, and am back to having a terrible shift again. There response, was "oh well, deal with it". To them , you are just a name on a screen, its terrible.
Pros
decent pay.
Cons
having to deal with terrible management
You work in a dungeon...
CSR (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 4, 2014
Sykes Saint John is probably the worst call center to work for. If you want a day off, you need to have it in writing 3 weeks in advance. But even with that, the day before they can change their mind and refuse to let you have the day off. If you need to leave to get your kid early or even a doctors appointment, if you miss 29min+ it gets counted as a half day missed.

Management will lie to your face before you get hired... So when you actually start, then they will give you your offer letter. So your already working there and if you left a half decent job, your stuck with horrible shifts and poor working environment.
Pros
at least it's a job
Cons
working there
Team spirit in a home based environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough OntarioNovember 7, 2013
I work from home so I enjoy the convenience of that. I have worked for Sykes for 4 years and have really advanced my interpersonal skills. The management is very approachable and is always there to help if needed. They provide support and coaching to allow for continuous growth and improvement. The hardest part of the job is that policies and procedures as well as products and services are always changing. Keeping up with these changes requires constant uptraining. I really enjoy helping people and solving problems. It gives me great pleasure to provide solutions which work well for the company and for it's customers.
Pros
work from home
Cons
repetative work
Great peops, poor revenue
Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 5, 2015
I work in BC and Sykes pays minimum + $1.25 in my case because i am bilingual. Of course the reason i am working for this company is that the convenience of not travelling to work and lesser expense of working from home factors in quite a bit. The down side is that at $11,50/hr i am always looking for other opportunities, (which kind of sucks 'cause this way, no ties possible with the people there). So all in all it's okay, i recently got promoted to an even more 'techy' department but without any pay raise, so i guess a good temporary project.
Work at Home pros/cons
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Work from home.October 9, 2015
Great company, excellent team to work with. Constant monitoring of your performance, but at times can be stressful.
Working from home is not what some people think, you do not have the freedom to stop and walk away from your desk when you want.
Calls can come in back to back or could be every so often so you have to be there to answer. The company knows if you don't answer.
Pros
no need to commute to work, no traffic, you can dress however you please.
Cons
No contact with anyone other then clients on phone or staff via chat line.