Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

Sales Rep/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBApril 4, 2016
This company treats the agents fairly on a daily basis and work around your schedule. I truly enjoyed working there for 7 yearsl. I would like to get back into the customer service work.
Pros
We had free lunches while working in the worse storms.
Cons
We did work long hours but with good pay and great thanks from management
Not what I hoped for
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONOctober 29, 2015
I left a full-time hospital position to work for Sykes' Telehealth division. The thought of working fewer nights and weekends was appealing from a work-life balance perspective, as well as working 10 hour shifts instead of 12 hour shifts. Mediocre benefits package.

Management was fair to all employees. Performance reviews held monthly, goal setting for improving practice was part of the job. Communication between management and staff was good to very good, with staff meetings held regularly. Option to call in to the meeting from home (and get paid) if not working that day.

Expectations from management included average call time of 13-14 minutes to assess patients and provide care advice. Breaks and lunches are scheduled, deviations (due to calls going into break time) had to be approved.

Had I been aware of the volume of calls involving male 'problems' (I am deadly serious) prior to joining this company, I would have reconsidered working there.
Pros
Good team
Cons
High volume of inappropriate callers; constant monitoring
it can be better
Customer service (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 15, 2016
nice company but there is a lots to improve .
salary is not the best , some friendly ppl .. not all of them
still work there stability is there but you have to work hard , if they just raise the salary 14$ /h for bilingual is low
Easy money if you don't mind the stress.
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 23, 2015
At first the job was great, at least as much as you can expect if you're uneducated and looking for full time with benefits. The management was wonderful two years ago when I first started, but over the time it has just sort of slipped. Everybody is sort of sick of there job at Sykes and the work is showing the attitude of the center. I can't wait to move along to a more positive work environment.
Pros
Understanding coworkers who are all in the same boat.
I would not work her
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  work at homeAugust 24, 2016
They say you get full hours however you dont you start off full then you fight for hours, the promoting within lies, they dont, also the benefits are sucky. They are solely not a company you want to work for, they are very non secure so there is no job security the rules change to fit there needs (if they want to give you trouble) or they completely forget to mention the rule changes but you still get in trouble for there mess ups they cannot take responsibility for ANYTHING and most of them are unapproachable and they dont like to listen to what you have to say. Miserable company!!!! LIERS!
Pros
NOTHING STEER CLEAR!
Cons
fight for hours
Friendly work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Sykes is a call center so a typical day was spent on a computer and answer calls from customers regarding their cell phones and cell phone plans. At sykes I learned better computer skills and stronger customer service skills. Management and co-workers were friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was helping customers who were frustrated with their cell phones and cell phone bills. Most enjoyable was the games and contest that promoted making sales to customers.
Pros
Contests and prizes
Cons
Frustrated customers
Productive work enviroment with like-minded hard working individuals
Landscape Labourer (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONFebruary 12, 2016
A work day at Sykes Landscaping begins with arriving at the shop and morning briefing of the days directions according to what duties/ jobs each of the two crews will perform. Work hours are 7am-6pm with a usual 30 minute cleaning period before leaving the job site. I learned how to operate bobcat small heavy machinery, how to operate a laser level to achieve proper heights for basing of patios, driveways, walkways and garden beds. My co-workers were like-minded hard working individuals which motivation was spread down from the foreman himself. The hardest part of the job was constantly moving heavy loads in wheelbarrows such as Gran A used for basing aswell as HPB or High Performance Basing as the final level of basing for patios, driveways and walkways aswell as premium soil for grading purposes and triple mix soil used for completing garden beds. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the finish product that we all worked so very hard everyday to complete.
Pros
compliments, odd treat from customers who were very appreciative
Cons
Long hours, lots of heavy lifting
Long hours but opportunity to make good income
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONSeptember 25, 2015
This work at home job is not for everyone. At the time I worked there I found the hours long and the pressure to sell high. If you are looking for lots of hours with some benefits then you will appreciate this company. Especially if you enjoy the challenge of up selling. The commission for selling plans and products was good, so there is the opportunity to make a decent income. Working from home can be lonely so if you like interacting with people on the job then you won't enjoy this work.
Pros
Working from home. No weather worries. No worries about clothing.
Cons
Long hours. Pressure to up sell.
Not Great
CSR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 21, 2016
Salaries are low.
Management's expectations are high.
Very poor support from managers and team leads.
Hours are played with all the time.
1 week may be 40+ hours, and the next may be less than 20 hours.
If you live alone, and this is your only source of income, you will run into problems eventually.
Pros
Working From Home
Cons
See Below
Not That Great.
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONJanuary 30, 2016
No Union, Targets constantly going up, job was great, loved working with people but the management and sales structure was contradictory, it wasn't sure if it wanted me to perform more, and get higher numbers, or be less aggressive with sales.

It's the Catch 22 of being a manager I suppose. You want your team to do well, but not make people uncomfortable... I just think their methods are a bit backwards.
Pros
Telemarketing was extremely fun, it was in a great location too.
Cons
Job didn't know what it wants from it's employees.
Working at home is not fun.
Bilingual Tech Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 29, 2015
By far one of the worst employers I have worked for. Communication is practically non existent, and their concept of customer service was atrocious. Supervisors have no accountability, they may ask you to do something immoral or unethical and when the customer complains they throw you under the bus. A former colleague was fired for his mental disability and is in the process of suing.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Inconsistent shifts, no guarantee of hours.
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sykes. The people are great, friendly and I made alot of friends very quickly. The only problem I had is that i have children and while they accommodated me and my children's schedules, its hard not to have any weekends off at all. I would definately return to work there should I need to and there was a change in how scheduling operated. I dont mind working on a weekend if I had to but not every weekend.
Pros
free lunches, lots of incentives, benefits after 6 months
Cons
unless you have seniority you dont get weekends off
worst company to work for
Rogers Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 1, 2016
this company is such a sham I am surprised they still operate in Canada. the pay is $.05 above min. wage, hours are inconsistent, they say they pay for tech issues but then refuse to for legitimate issues with THEIR equipment. the upper echelon of management are oblivious to what is going on with the lower management or the reps under them. overall I would say DO NOT work for this company.
Pros
Cons
the whole job is a con
WOrk and Fun
Tagged - Content Moderator (Current Employee) –  PhilippinesJuly 11, 2016
I start my day at work by checking the SLA of the queues that we will work on for the day. We also handles escalation and review accounts that is associated to fraud. Our manager reminds us of our daily duties and task with less supervision. Since we are all multi-tasking, we mixed fun with work.

There is no such things as easy job, we only gets better to what we do and that's what make things lighter at work.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Bogus
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
You try to book your vacation and they want 3 months notice... I gave them above and beyond that and they conveniently forgot. Imagine telling your bride you won't be at your wedding because your place of employment won't give you the day off. Then after that I had a death in the family and I got bereavement leave for an immediate family member but they WONT pay you for it. Another draw back is they play favourites and your two days off are NEVER consecutive.
Monotonous
Operational analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 28, 2016
Answer phones and providing reports

Customer services skills and Microsoft office

Management were difficult and not easy to deal with

Co-workers were great people like one big family

Hardest part was dealing with upper management

Most enjoyable people I worked with made a lot of close friends
Pros
Consistent work schedule, co-works
Cons
Type of work, upper management difficulties, monotonous tasks, lack of stimulus, poor moral
Very fun place to work
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBMarch 2, 2016
Over all very fun place to work, a lot of room for advancement, the people I worked with became like family. On my 3 month anniversary I was promoted to trainer where I excelled, After 1 year and 1 month working there the company closed.
Pros
like family
Cons
not organized
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, MBAugust 7, 2016
A typical day at work started with a five minute motivational meeting, then we were ready to take calls and help people. I learned techniques to sell and multitasking skills. The hardest part was to deal with angry or disrespectful customers, but the most enjoyable part was when i was able to help them and switch them to a good mood.
Pros
comission
say one and expect another
CSR/Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSMarch 21, 2016
very interesting sales enviroment meet new people everyday. management had there favorites. my co worker were great and willing to help out
Supportive team leaders
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 28, 2016
Performed inbound customer service for mobile customers. The support staff provide useful methods for improving results and create a welcoming environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the positive environment created by coworkers and management.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Software can be slow due to its age

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Reviews by Location