Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews in Canada

Not what I hoped for
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONOctober 29, 2015
I left a full-time hospital position to work for Sykes' Telehealth division. The thought of working fewer nights and weekends was appealing from a work-life balance perspective, as well as working 10 hour shifts instead of 12 hour shifts. Mediocre benefits package.

Management was fair to all employees. Performance reviews held monthly, goal setting for improving practice was part of the job. Communication between management and staff was good to very good, with staff meetings held regularly. Option to call in to the meeting from home (and get paid) if not working that day.

Expectations from management included average call time of 13-14 minutes to assess patients and provide care advice. Breaks and lunches are scheduled, deviations (due to calls going into break time) had to be approved.

Had I been aware of the volume of calls involving male 'problems' (I am deadly serious) prior to joining this company, I would have reconsidered working there.
Pros
Good team
Cons
High volume of inappropriate callers; constant monitoring
Sales Rep/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NBApril 4, 2016
This company treats the agents fairly on a daily basis and work around your schedule. I truly enjoyed working there for 7 yearsl. I would like to get back into the customer service work.
Pros
We had free lunches while working in the worse storms.
Cons
We did work long hours but with good pay and great thanks from management
it can be better
Customer service (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 15, 2016
nice company but there is a lots to improve .
salary is not the best , some friendly ppl .. not all of them
still work there stability is there but you have to work hard , if they just raise the salary 14$ /h for bilingual is low
Easy money if you don't mind the stress.
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONNovember 23, 2015
At first the job was great, at least as much as you can expect if you're uneducated and looking for full time with benefits. The management was wonderful two years ago when I first started, but over the time it has just sort of slipped. Everybody is sort of sick of there job at Sykes and the work is showing the attitude of the center. I can't wait to move along to a more positive work environment.
Pros
Understanding coworkers who are all in the same boat.
Friendly work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Sykes is a call center so a typical day was spent on a computer and answer calls from customers regarding their cell phones and cell phone plans. At sykes I learned better computer skills and stronger customer service skills. Management and co-workers were friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was helping customers who were frustrated with their cell phones and cell phone bills. Most enjoyable was the games and contest that promoted making sales to customers.
Pros
Contests and prizes
Cons
Frustrated customers
Productive work enviroment with like-minded hard working individuals
Landscape Labourer (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONFebruary 12, 2016
A work day at Sykes Landscaping begins with arriving at the shop and morning briefing of the days directions according to what duties/ jobs each of the two crews will perform. Work hours are 7am-6pm with a usual 30 minute cleaning period before leaving the job site. I learned how to operate bobcat small heavy machinery, how to operate a laser level to achieve proper heights for basing of patios, driveways, walkways and garden beds. My co-workers were like-minded hard working individuals which motivation was spread down from the foreman himself. The hardest part of the job was constantly moving heavy loads in wheelbarrows such as Gran A used for basing aswell as HPB or High Performance Basing as the final level of basing for patios, driveways and walkways aswell as premium soil for grading purposes and triple mix soil used for completing garden beds. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the finish product that we all worked so very hard everyday to complete.
Pros
compliments, odd treat from customers who were very appreciative
Cons
Long hours, lots of heavy lifting
Long hours but opportunity to make good income
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONSeptember 25, 2015
This work at home job is not for everyone. At the time I worked there I found the hours long and the pressure to sell high. If you are looking for lots of hours with some benefits then you will appreciate this company. Especially if you enjoy the challenge of up selling. The commission for selling plans and products was good, so there is the opportunity to make a decent income. Working from home can be lonely so if you like interacting with people on the job then you won't enjoy this work.
Pros
Working from home. No weather worries. No worries about clothing.
Cons
Long hours. Pressure to up sell.
Not That Great.
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONJanuary 30, 2016
No Union, Targets constantly going up, job was great, loved working with people but the management and sales structure was contradictory, it wasn't sure if it wanted me to perform more, and get higher numbers, or be less aggressive with sales.

It's the Catch 22 of being a manager I suppose. You want your team to do well, but not make people uncomfortable... I just think their methods are a bit backwards.
Pros
Telemarketing was extremely fun, it was in a great location too.
Cons
Job didn't know what it wants from it's employees.
Not Great
CSR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 21, 2016
Salaries are low.
Management's expectations are high.
Very poor support from managers and team leads.
Hours are played with all the time.
1 week may be 40+ hours, and the next may be less than 20 hours.
If you live alone, and this is your only source of income, you will run into problems eventually.
Pros
Working From Home
Cons
See Below
Working at home is not fun.
Bilingual Tech Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCDecember 29, 2015
By far one of the worst employers I have worked for. Communication is practically non existent, and their concept of customer service was atrocious. Supervisors have no accountability, they may ask you to do something immoral or unethical and when the customer complains they throw you under the bus. A former colleague was fired for his mental disability and is in the process of suing.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Inconsistent shifts, no guarantee of hours.
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sykes. The people are great, friendly and I made alot of friends very quickly. The only problem I had is that i have children and while they accommodated me and my children's schedules, its hard not to have any weekends off at all. I would definately return to work there should I need to and there was a change in how scheduling operated. I dont mind working on a weekend if I had to but not every weekend.
Pros
free lunches, lots of incentives, benefits after 6 months
Cons
unless you have seniority you dont get weekends off
Very fun place to work
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBMarch 2, 2016
Over all very fun place to work, a lot of room for advancement, the people I worked with became like family. On my 3 month anniversary I was promoted to trainer where I excelled, After 1 year and 1 month working there the company closed.
Pros
like family
Cons
not organized
say one and expect another
CSR/Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSMarch 21, 2016
very interesting sales enviroment meet new people everyday. management had there favorites. my co worker were great and willing to help out
Bogus
Inbound Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 16, 2016
You try to book your vacation and they want 3 months notice... I gave them above and beyond that and they conveniently forgot. Imagine telling your bride you won't be at your wedding because your place of employment won't give you the day off. Then after that I had a death in the family and I got bereavement leave for an immediate family member but they WONT pay you for it. Another draw back is they play favourites and your two days off are NEVER consecutive.
Monotonous
Operational analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 28, 2016
Answer phones and providing reports

Customer services skills and Microsoft office

Management were difficult and not easy to deal with

Co-workers were great people like one big family

Hardest part was dealing with upper management

Most enjoyable people I worked with made a lot of close friends
Pros
Consistent work schedule, co-works
Cons
Type of work, upper management difficulties, monotonous tasks, lack of stimulus, poor moral
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJanuary 23, 2016
Productive day with helping customers with what they called in for. Co-workers I work with are amazing and friendly. Management is a good team
Horrible Horrible Supervisors & Managers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSNovember 14, 2015
Would never work here again if they ever opened up another center in Sydney. Lady who did the scheduling at our center was so rude and you could never get any of the days you requested off. Managers were non existent, and no HR in the building. Hardest part of the job was walking in the door, as you knew nothing even after leaving training. I didn't enjoy working here.
Pros
No pros for working here.
Cons
Long hours, not enough support.
Great atmosphere with co-workers
Health Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBApril 4, 2016
A typical day at Sykes is as follows: You log into your systems and then you start taking calls, some are for this program, others are for that program, you send the files whee they need to go and then go back on "available" and wait for your next call, which, depending on the day. can be a long wait.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
Some clients are very hard to deal with
Awsome Envronment
Outbound customer service/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NBJanuary 18, 2016
Good company to work for, Excellent benefits, Bonus , and other incentives involved. Must be able o deal with high levels of stress,
Rotating shifts
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLJune 3, 2016
This particular job was very stressful and hectic as you had a very limited amount of time to deal with customer issues and complaints,management was inflexible and unapproachable when issues would arise,hence the high turn over rate of employees.
Pros
Cons
Rotating shifts

Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Reviews by Location