Swissport International Ltd. Employee Reviews

Peers can make it or break it
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON9 November 2016
The work day begins with assessing the day's events (such as weather conditions, staffing, flight delays and airport operations) as well as the day's total inbound and outbound flight volume and planned ramp crews; then ensuring inventory of necessary equipment is available. Meeting with airline representatives, assigned ramp leads, and their crews throughout the day with close supervision of particular windows of time is mandatory for success.

To be improved: Consistency within daily and/ or weekly meetings to follow up on successes and improve on failures. More data needs to be available for analyzing to improve departmental performance, therefore improving overall performance.

The job culture is very good among many of the employees and is the most enjoyable aspect next to the provided service itself; however more emphasis on recognizing them and developing that attitude and culture will be a welcomed breath of fresh air.
Pros
Peers
Cons
Long Hours
Horrible Hours, Low Wages, Poor Management
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON26 September 2016
Company works on a seniority basis, meaning that if you're lower on the totem pole, don't expect to get great hours. Management was very unsupportive more often than not, especially when passenger issues could not be resolved by passenger service agents.
Pros
Can be flexible as most shifts are only 4 hours long.
Cons
Lack of support from Management, cheap uniforms that fall apart, no flight benefits, no health or dental benefits, poor wages
Working at the airport is wonderful.
Agent passager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 December 2016
Too much work. You run everywhere and all the time. The training is too short and inadequate. The pay is way too low comparing to all the hard work. You have to be in a really good shape and willing to work at any hour throw out the day or night. Sometimes and without notice, they oblige you to do overtimes for sometimes 2-3 hours even if you don't want to stay.
Pros
Good team work, flexible schedules
Cons
No advancement, no privileges. Insurance after 2 years only
Avoid! Unless you really need money
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 September 2016
Worked there for one month, and got super fed up with them so I quit.

1) Overtime hours are rarely given on the pay check. So you will have to be extremely proactive and hunt down your ot hours!

2) Really bad work place environment. Management micromanage and are a pain to deal with. Most leads are also awful because of the amount of profanity that they use towards you.

$11.35 an hour is not worth the amount of pain you will suffer working here.

On the good side: If you are physically able to work, they will hire you. They are also working on a new collective bargaining agreement, so you might see a boost in hourly wage.
Don't recommend it!
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON8 July 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked, sadly I still am, but will leave them soon. They pay $11.50 an hour with no medical or travel benefits. This is below minimum wage, especially in this day an age! Managers and supervisors treat us as slaves especially the new employees, they give you an impression that they can dissmiss or fire you easily, they are so disrespectful and rude and they have two faces. The office is always dirty and messy, whether HR, Payroll or the Airport office. No vacation until you pass 1 year of employment!!! Training was not thorough especially our job at the gate while departure or arrival. Very hard to switch shifts or ask for a day off. I do not recommend Swissport at all, it's a joke!! it's a horrible company to work for, Seriously!
Pros
Airport environment and coworkers
Cons
Very low pay and no vacation nor benefits!!
Do not apply!!!!!
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  yvr6 September 2016
this by far the worst company ive been with i work with swissport canada by YVR and was the worst time of my life. first of all you get paid so little for the work and sucrifices you make for this company. second management is a gong show dont care about their employee just care about the money you basically work every penny with this company. 3rd really difficult to do the job due to rainy weather as they give you really cheap piece of gears. i like how it days free ticet thats funny that aint true. all and all very bad company
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
flight delay we always got a chance to talk to people have some coffee and keep passangers calm by asking some question like where they are going
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON28 March 2016
I had the most enjoyable work at Sunwing airline. I like the management my coworkers we always worked as a team and a very friendly manner. the most important was our customers. people were going on vacation and you can see most of them so happy and we never try to give them hard time because you don't want to ruin there vacation and you always want them to come back.
Pros
in new year eve we got free dinner
Cons
some times we did worked long hours due to winter weather
Great workplace if you like working with the public
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 November 2016
However, salary is low, no benefits. Swissport DOES NOT value their employees whatsoever. Outstanding expectations with little to no recognition. Not so organized. The job itself I loved, the company, however, not so much.
Best place to get in the airport with
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
Worst company to work with.
No respect for employees, management or agents.
Harassment and bullying is a whole new level in this company.

But to get into the airport, this is your ladder.

They take anyone and everyone.

Have worked here 5+ years.

New drama everyday.

Join. Keep your head down. Move to different company. Best plan.
Pros
Vouchers
Cons
No respect for employees
Good company to work for if you are looking for a psychical demanding career
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 November 2016
work around airplanes

most of the co-workers are friendly and helpful

working environment is both harsh and enjoyable

workload depending on the time and date

management are not great but ok
horrible place to work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON22 July 2016
Alot of the time you're in a small storage compartment on your knees, sometimes with great strain stacking luggage on-top of each other as fast as possible in very humid conditions

at the end of one load you really start to feel back pain.. for $11/hr
it's certainly not worth it

Also some workers feel you've been doing the work for years expecting you to know everything right off the bat.
for that kind of labor the pay certainly isn't worth it.
Pros
Cons
terrible salary
Ramp lead
Ramp Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 September 2016
You don't get paid enough for what you do at Swissport canada handling.You mght have to work over night shifts depends what you get on the bid.Higher seniority guys always takes the good lines.Management is not that great.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
hot and cold weather conditions
Ramp Agent and Cover Lead (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 April 2016
everything is basically common sense. if you do not have common sense then this job would not be for you. its basically same thing over and over again and sometimes there could be pressure for the lead hand. hardest part would be trying to stack 50 plus bags into a EMB 145 cargo pit, just trying to go with the crazy weather conditions, and trying to take a 100-500 lbs motorized scooter off a plane. the management is alright nothing else i can really say about it. everyone works differently, either their fast workers or slow workers but still get the job done or ones that go by the book and take things too seriously. the part i most enjoy is the hard work and dealing with luggage i think of it as a workout for free.
Pros
get to travel and work at different airports under swissport
Cons
low pay
nice place to work with good benefits
Ramp Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
Typical day at work I would come in to the office check emails fill out daily reports and check crew schedule for the day as well as flights schedules. I make sure every flight has a crew and a lead and that they have enough time to complete their flights on time and get to their next flight or task . I learned a lot about different types of people and attitudes towards work. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I ve helped someone and they smile. Makes it all worth it
Pros
great benefits and co workers
Cons
longs hours, alot of down time
An easy place to get lost in
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 October 2016
If you enjoy providing good customer service, and interaction with other people, you'd enjoy this job.

You can easily make friends with your coworkers as you are working in a team oriented environment. The job does require you to be quick on your feet, and manage information quickly. However, everyday feels like a job well done when you watch that plane take off knowing you've personally met some of its passengers.
Always Fun
PASSENGER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Pearson Airport13 January 2016
* Every day working at the airport is a different scenario
* I learned to deal with difficult people and different cultures
* Management always look out for errors and never give positive feedbacks to employees
* I worked with various cultures and learnt to deal with each and everyone accordingly
* Hardest part of my job is telling passengers why their flight has been delayed/cancelled and rebooking/accommodating their requests
* Enjoyable part of my job is seeing my customer happy and satisfied
Pros
Food Vouchers
Cons
Long and unpredictable hours of operation
fast pasted
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 April 2016
union cleaning 3 - 10 aircrafts
group of 11 - 20 or 5 or 6 on graveyard
management was some what helpful
enjoyable working along with different kinds of people
Pros
flight benifits, unioned
Cons
shift work
Very Good
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2016
Lots of hard work. Great satisfaction. There's always room for improvement and for advancement. I work with a great Crew. There's always pressure to push out an A/C on time and must rely on your crew to do a good job. The most enjoyable part of the job is pushing back the Aircraft. It means mission accomplished.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Always busy
Conflict Working Schedule and Disorganize the working schedule
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 October 2016
The working schedule is not flexible and sometime i have to work over time because of missing some agents in the team. On the other hand i really love to work with the aviation industry because i can learn different things everyday.
Pros
Good Challenges
Cons
Long working hours
i love this job
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton International Airport1 November 2016
I think this kind of job is for me because i love it. I love seeing and serving travelers. Working at the airport is really nice because of you can see people are all moving fast and i love it. My co-workers are fun to be with. We set a good teamwork in every shift.

Swissport International Ltd. Reviews by Location