Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews in Canada

Good experience but stressful
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 1, 2016
Working at Swiss Chalet was good for giving experience in customer/food services and learning how to make decisions on the spot, however very stressful. My co-workers and I would often have to wait (sometimes more than an hour) to start a shift and it was always understaffed, leaving us to take on too large of a work load. Most of the managers were very young and inexperienced, and were more concerned with saving money than the happiness of their staff and customers. My co-workers were very friendly and fun.
Pros
Very good discount on food, friendly co-workers
Cons
Either too many or not enough hours, rarely given extra staff help, many rude customers
Fun place to work
Busboy/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 21, 2016
Swiss Chalet provided me with my first job experience. It was a pleasure working there, the people were very helpful and willing to help. On a typical day I would start off by washing the lunch dishes and assist with preparing the meals if it wasn't to busy. After the lunch rush was done I would check the restroom and the storage to make sure that they were clean and if they weren't I would straighten them up. By the time that was all done it would be time to prepare for the dinner rush.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with washing all the dishes during the rush hours however it was manageable. The people made the job enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Summer employment
productive and fast paced
Hostess/ Take-Out (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJuly 8, 2016
a typical day includes filling orders as fast as you can. making salads for the rest of the day if you open, taking customers orders and filling them perfectly. i learned how to manage my time and keep everything in order and keep other on task. management is very easy to get a long with, they don't take advantage of their power to benefit them, they are understanding if you are unable to work or if you book something off.
Pros
half price when working
Cons
fast paced
Fun and fast work enviornment
Cashier for take-out and Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 13, 2016
You punch in and say hello to basically everyone before beginning to stock or greeting your tables. Being able to have more of a social interaction with the customers is great and its always interesting. The coworkers are great and very friendly and we help one another out whenever the other needs an extra hand with anything,
Pros
Great social interaction
Cons
Makes me hungry
interactive and accommodating workplace
Hostess/Take-out (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 4, 2016
I learned how to work efficiently in a fast pace environment. I learned new skills such as food prep and how to work in a restaurant environment. Management was accommodating to employee needs and co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job would be when the team would not work well together. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the 50% off discount.
Very fun place to work at
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
This is certainly the best job I have ever had. The atmosphere, fun, and knowledge you get are highlights of this job. The most enjoyable part of this job are my co-workers. We are like a family when we are together and it is so much fun to work with them. Every day you just want to go to Swiss have fun while serving and meeting your co-workers.
Pros
60% discount for a staff meal, and 20% discount cara card
Cons
short shifts
It was a good place to work but just needs some improvements
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJuly 17, 2016
I loved being a hostess at Swiss Chalet. I really met some awesome people when working their. When I worked there I was a hostess bring guest to their tables and cleaning tables up for more guest to be seated. The management wasn't always the nice to us employees but I managed to get alone with them.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people to work with, management is awesome
Server (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2016
My co-workers are always friendly and very helpful as I am still new to the team. I always get to learn new things about the company and how things are done around the restaurant. Customers are like anywhere else, some days are better then others but I always leave with a smile on my face as the people I work with and myself try to make the best out of a bad situation.
Pros
Food is great
Cons
Not enough hours
friendly environment
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 24, 2016
Swiss Chalet was great. Everyone was friendly. Its is clean environment.I learned how to communicate better with others. My duty was to help around the kitchen such as sweeping and mopping the floor and to clean the walls . What I Enjoyed the most was that I get a 50% discount when I get a meal. The breaks are great because they are relaxing and long.
Pros
50% off discounts
Server at Newmarket location
Server (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMay 10, 2016
Zero training provided. I was hired as fulltime but in the month and a half that I was there I was only getting good two 3 hour shifts a week.

Management doesn't communicate well with staff. Schedule were always late being posted and would be changed without notice.

Horrible experience!!!
Pros
Other staff were nice
Cons
Lack of training, professionalism, no hours and mangement is terrible
Incredible coworkers
Server/Hostess/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 21, 2016
My coworkers are what make me love my job.
Management is poor at my location.
A typical day is to come to work, punch in ten minutes early if your section has been sat. If not, you sometimes sit for up to a half an hour without being on the clock waiting for a table to be sat in your section. Once sat, I greet every table with a friendly hello and my name is. I serve them food/beverages making sure their satisfied on all accounts. Take their payment and wish them well. Once supper rush slows down I am to clean my section and assigned cleaning duties in the kitchen and punch out. Repeat.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor Management
Simultaneously Relaxed and Stressful
Open Cook/Night Cook/Line Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONMay 25, 2016
Typical day would start at 8am. The day end would range anywhere from 4pm to 9pm. The work load was consistently heavy. However, you typically find a "groove" where things start to get done on time. I learned how to prep for a kitchen as well as improved my time management skills. Co-workers were welcoming and kept the place light but job satisfaction was at an all time low for many of the staff. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inconsistent management. Save for 1 or 2 who were friendly and helpful towards staff, the management quality would change from day to day leaving most employee's unsure of what to expect for any given day. The most enjoyable part of the job would be both the job security and the co-workers.
Pros
Work Hours, Friendly, Informative, Team Oriented
Cons
Inconsistant Management/Scheduling
Productive, and fun kitchen job with great co workers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 3, 2016
a typical day at work consisted of preparing and cooking meal for families, I learned alot about the positions I worked such as fryer, and grill. my supervisor was great and a really nice person. my manager was very understanding, respectable and kind hearted. my co workers were all great and very helpful.
Fun and Great place to work!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Winona, ONJune 17, 2016
Amazing place to work, lots of opportunities to go places, unfortunately near the end of my job some new waitresses were hired and weren't very friendly to the hostesses. That and the schedule conflicting with my school made me say goodbye.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
4 Hour shifts that conflicted with school... Everyday...
Productive and Fun work enviornment
Host (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 5, 2016
A normal day at work would consist of me seating customers at their tables and cleaning and setting tables after they are finished their meals. The Management was terrific I had great relationships with my Co-workers and the Management.
Pros
Entertaining work enviornment
Cons
Not enough hours
Good place with good people
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 7, 2016
A typical day is usually busy, what I have learned here is how to be respectful and always follow the rules. The management is very good, my co workers are the best they help me when things get to tough to handle by yourself. The hardest part about it is the customers. the most enjoyable part is getting everything done the way it should be.
Work Place
Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONAugust 16, 2016
Going to work and seeing little ones faces when they get a gym suit that they think look amazing on them and watching them glow with excitement. Helping office management with over flow and being of assistants where I can.
Pros
Going to work everyday
Cons
Watching the little grow up
quality employees eager to improve service
Supervisor- Guest Experience Training
 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 12, 2016
Lunch and supper rush kept things interesting between †hen was downtime in which emphasis was placed on cleaning and upkeep. At Swiss Chalet we learn team work and communication skills we grew our selves daily and met challenges together. Management was very quick to prevent and resolve issues among staff. Unpleasant employees would get coaching from management and either become compliant or leave, drama was avoided. The hardest part of the job unique to the SC on Innes was the improvising that had to be done when we had mechanical failures( previous owner didn't follow up with maintenance). The heart of the restaurant was always surging with energy and harmonious teamwork. And it was the shared integrity to keep a healthy workplace that kept everyone happy to grow in the work place and beyond.
Pros
discounted staff meals, promotion opportunity, drama free
Cons
appliances, scammers
Fast paced and Fun Work Environment
TAKEOUT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work as a takeout associate consists of receiving customer orders, packing order meals, doing prep, etc.
What I learned was how to prepare and fill customer orders.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone works together and does what they are supposed to do at a fast pace so that we can get things done on time.
Pros
Income, Learing Advancement
Cons
Not enough hours
Swiss Chalet was a great work experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Overall , working at Swiss Chalet was a very fulfilling experience. I gained a lot of knowledge and skills in the fast food industry. It was a very friendly and professional work environment which allowed me to develop both my social and work skills. I built friendships, and learned a lot about responsibility and hope to have the same type of experiences in my future career.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Short staff

2.9