Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews in Canada

It was a good place to work but just needs some improvements
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONJuly 17, 2016
I loved being a hostess at Swiss Chalet. I really met some awesome people when working their. When I worked there I was a hostess bring guest to their tables and cleaning tables up for more guest to be seated. The management wasn't always the nice to us employees but I managed to get alone with them.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and fast work enviornment
Cashier for take-out and Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 13, 2016
You punch in and say hello to basically everyone before beginning to stock or greeting your tables. Being able to have more of a social interaction with the customers is great and its always interesting. The coworkers are great and very friendly and we help one another out whenever the other needs an extra hand with anything,
Pros
Great social interaction
Cons
Makes me hungry
Nice place but terrible everything else
Employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2016
I worked at a location in Toronto and I have to say it was the worst experience I have ever had working. When I was first hired it took two weeks before I was given my first training shift and uniform and it wasn't even for line cooking, which is what I applied for, it was for prep. A week later I was given a shift in takeout and drivethru where I had to basically teach myself how to do everything and use the computer. I never had a training shift for takeout and drivethru and the minimum is one. I never received another training shift in prep and the minimum is two. When I was hired the manager asked me my availability which was everyday and I was only given one shift a week for months. I constantly asked the managers for training shifts and more shifts in general but all my requests were ignored. Even when I did have my one shift a week I was sent home early because there was "no money in the budget" and my manager would make my and another employee fight for who got to stay longer because one of our five hours shift were cut to three.

The one good thing about working there were the other employees. No matter what you needed help with they were alway willing to help because they understand and went through it themselves.
Pros
60% off food- which I never received
Cons
No hours, terrible management
productive and fast paced
Hostess/ Take-Out (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJuly 8, 2016
a typical day includes filling orders as fast as you can. making salads for the rest of the day if you open, taking customers orders and filling them perfectly. i learned how to manage my time and keep everything in order and keep other on task. management is very easy to get a long with, they don't take advantage of their power to benefit them, they are understanding if you are unable to work or if you book something off.
Pros
half price when working
Cons
fast paced
Productive and Fun work enviornment
Host (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 5, 2016
A normal day at work would consist of me seating customers at their tables and cleaning and setting tables after they are finished their meals. The Management was terrific I had great relationships with my Co-workers and the Management.
Pros
Entertaining work enviornment
Cons
Not enough hours
fast work
Take Out and Kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 4, 2016
fast paced job which requires lots of attention and a lot of customer care to ensure orders are correct and made quickkly
Very fun place to work at
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
This is certainly the best job I have ever had. The atmosphere, fun, and knowledge you get are highlights of this job. The most enjoyable part of this job are my co-workers. We are like a family when we are together and it is so much fun to work with them. Every day you just want to go to Swiss have fun while serving and meeting your co-workers.
Pros
60% discount for a staff meal, and 20% discount cara card
Cons
short shifts
Welcoming environment
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 29, 2016
The company opened their doors towards me and taught me everything I needed to know within the first day. I picked up the skills and speed within a week to become a successful member of the Line Chef.
friendly environment
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 24, 2016
Swiss Chalet was great. Everyone was friendly. Its is clean environment.I learned how to communicate better with others. My duty was to help around the kitchen such as sweeping and mopping the floor and to clean the walls . What I Enjoyed the most was that I get a 50% discount when I get a meal. The breaks are great because they are relaxing and long.
Pros
50% off discounts
Fast Paced
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 24, 2016
The hardest part of the job was the hours. It was salary and I would work minimum 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Some days I would work over 12 hours and it was a hardship on my family.
Fun and Great place to work!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Winona, ONJune 17, 2016
Amazing place to work, lots of opportunities to go places, unfortunately near the end of my job some new waitresses were hired and weren't very friendly to the hostesses. That and the schedule conflicting with my school made me say goodbye.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
4 Hour shifts that conflicted with school... Everyday...
quality employees eager to improve service
Supervisor- Guest Experience Training
 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 12, 2016
Lunch and supper rush kept things interesting between †hen was downtime in which emphasis was placed on cleaning and upkeep. At Swiss Chalet we learn team work and communication skills we grew our selves daily and met challenges together. Management was very quick to prevent and resolve issues among staff. Unpleasant employees would get coaching from management and either become compliant or leave, drama was avoided. The hardest part of the job unique to the SC on Innes was the improvising that had to be done when we had mechanical failures( previous owner didn't follow up with maintenance). The heart of the restaurant was always surging with energy and harmonious teamwork. And it was the shared integrity to keep a healthy workplace that kept everyone happy to grow in the work place and beyond.
Pros
discounted staff meals, promotion opportunity, drama free
Cons
appliances, scammers
Fun place to work at
Server (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 9, 2016
I am a server at work so it can get stressful at times but overall the staff is very friendly and i really enjoy working here.
Pros
the discount i get on food
Cons
sometimes i feel im not making enough for what i do
Fun work place
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 6, 2016
Fun place to work and lot of new things to learn. I do alot of training its always nice to train new people and gather their ideas
Productive, and fun kitchen job with great co workers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 3, 2016
a typical day at work consisted of preparing and cooking meal for families, I learned alot about the positions I worked such as fryer, and grill. my supervisor was great and a really nice person. my manager was very understanding, respectable and kind hearted. my co workers were all great and very helpful.
Busy family restaurant
Hostess & Server Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
Swiss Chalet is a fun family restaurant with a great atmosphere and a killer staff discount. A lot of very pleasant customers and co-workers
Amazing
Server/ Bartender/ Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
Felt like I was working with family, always a happy place to walk into work. Loved ever thing and everyone . I would love to work there however there wasn't enough hours
Simultaneously Relaxed and Stressful
Open Cook/Night Cook/Line Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONMay 25, 2016
Typical day would start at 8am. The day end would range anywhere from 4pm to 9pm. The work load was consistently heavy. However, you typically find a "groove" where things start to get done on time. I learned how to prep for a kitchen as well as improved my time management skills. Co-workers were welcoming and kept the place light but job satisfaction was at an all time low for many of the staff. The hardest part of the job was dealing with inconsistent management. Save for 1 or 2 who were friendly and helpful towards staff, the management quality would change from day to day leaving most employee's unsure of what to expect for any given day. The most enjoyable part of the job would be both the job security and the co-workers.
Pros
Work Hours, Friendly, Informative, Team Oriented
Cons
Inconsistant Management/Scheduling
Great people to work with, management is awesome
Server (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2016
My co-workers are always friendly and very helpful as I am still new to the team. I always get to learn new things about the company and how things are done around the restaurant. Customers are like anywhere else, some days are better then others but I always leave with a smile on my face as the people I work with and myself try to make the best out of a bad situation.
Pros
Food is great
Cons
Not enough hours
day at work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ONMay 16, 2016
it is very upbeat and a wonderful place to work. the management is awesome and very accommodating. it is hard work but satisfying
Pros
great manegment and atmosphere
Cons
hard work

2.9