Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Intense, Exciting and Stressful Work Place
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 26, 2016
Pros: I can work with food and I get most of the hours I ask for
Cons: Change schedules at the last minute, sometimes not enough days off, pay isn't enough to survive on alone
Every day I come into work about 30 minutes early and begin right away. I have learn what it takes to work in a restaurant. That I must be quick on my feet and be able to memorize short orders and long orders. How to plate food properly and how to work in a safe and clean environment.

There is always someone to talk to when business is slow and there's always something to do. (Cleaning, prepping, etc...) However Management sometimes gets overly stress and puts to much pressure on the employees. Understandable, yet unnecessary at times for there usually isn't much to worry about and they flip on any minor issue though it's a quick fix and they make a big deal out of it.

Despite this they are easy to talk to and can hold decent conversation at times.
productive and fun
fryer (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 25, 2016
Pros: discount on meals
Cons: long hours
learning experience for beginners
interesting staff in the kitchen time to time
a lot of work to do around the kitchen
good pay
Incredible coworkers
Server/Hostess/Supervisor (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 21, 2016
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Poor Management
My coworkers are what make me love my job.
Management is poor at my location.
A typical day is to come to work, punch in ten minutes early if your section has been sat. If not, you sometimes sit for up to a half an hour without being on the clock waiting for a table to be sat in your section. Once sat, I greet every table with a friendly hello and my name is. I serve them food/beverages making sure their satisfied on all accounts. Take their payment and wish them well. Once supper rush slows down I am to clean my section and assigned cleaning duties in the kitchen and punch out. Repeat.
Good
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONApril 20, 2016
The job is a typical serving job. Management is great. Good place to work and co workers and awesome.......................
boring place. no where to chill.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: free movie tickes
Cons: Closing shifts
Lots of work. sometimes you dont get breaks often and you stay longer than scheduled. The place is always busy and if not theirs no talking. also they have favouritism.
Good hours
Fast Food Worker (Current Employee), Belleville, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: 60 percent off food
Cons: breaks
I have had very good hours. A typical day at work i come in do my prep work, take and place customer orders, restock.
Co-workers were great worked well as a team.
Dishwasher/ server/ cook
Server/ Host (Former Employee), Lindsay, ONApril 12, 2016
I worked at Swiss Chalet for multiple years. I enjoyed the poeple and the work. The common day was food prep dishs or serving for our guests as well as hosting and seating.
Productive & Fun!
Hostess (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Free meal when you take a shift
Cons: None!
Fun place to work with amazing staff
Extremely flexible hours
Interactive with customers
Easy to pick up extra shift
Reliable, understand and down to earth managing staff
Good part time job
Server (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2016
Decent part time job... obviously varies from location to location. Overall it is on par with any other food service industry job. May not be as lucrative as a bar but is relaxed.
Swiss Chalet
Waiter (Current Employee), 525 highland road westMarch 17, 2016
Pros: free drinks
I think Swiss Chalet is one those places that gets you ready to deal with different kind of people.
Typical day at work: Usually we, servers, work at least 3 hours per shift. Our shifts are pretty intense. We serve 6-7 tables at one time.
What you learned: I learned how to deal with different people, how to manage several tasks at one time, how to work under pressure.
Management: Our management team is excellent in communication, regulating the kitchen, and dealing with customers.
Co-workers: Almost all of my co-workers are students, which are in universities and colleges. Another part of our team are professional servers with +15 years of experience in restaurant field.
The hardest part of my job is to deal with angry people. It is really hard to make customer happy if he/she comes to the restaurant with a bad mood. The complain can come from nothing and the server in 90% of the time will be guilty for that. We have to do our best so the people will have only positive opinion about our service and food.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when our team work efficiantly and help each other. In my opinion, you cannot work efficient if you are not a team player.
Fast paced and Fun Work Environment
TAKEOUT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Brantford, ONMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Income, Learing Advancement
Cons: Not enough hours
A typical day at work as a takeout associate consists of receiving customer orders, packing order meals, doing prep, etc.
What I learned was how to prepare and fill customer orders.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone works together and does what they are supposed to do at a fast pace so that we can get things done on time.
Place called home.
Hostess/ Expedite/ Take-Out (Former Employee), British ColumbiaMarch 1, 2016
A family style restaurant creates a family styled team. Will always have the fondest memories working at Swiss Chalet.
Busy but Fun
Cook and line worker (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 1, 2016
It's fast, enjoy making meals for our customers. Usually I'll work at the front of the line cutting the chicken or making the pastas. I've learn all positions in the kitchen. All the management and co-workers are friendly and we get along, I'm just looking for another experience in the food industry and want to expand my knowledge.
Swiss Chalet was a great work experience
Line Cook (Former Employee), Welland, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Discounted meals
Cons: Short staff
Overall , working at Swiss Chalet was a very fulfilling experience. I gained a lot of knowledge and skills in the fast food industry. It was a very friendly and professional work environment which allowed me to develop both my social and work skills. I built friendships, and learned a lot about responsibility and hope to have the same type of experiences in my future career.
n/a
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONFebruary 28, 2016
This occupation limits growth. Is a place to start working when attending high school. Job consists of teamwork but in an environment where teamwork is not considered important. Very unrewarding occupation.
bad
Server / Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 27, 2016
It was not the greatest experience because the management was horrible and not everybody was treated equally. The only thing I liked about working there is my coworkers
Great employer for students and new waitresses
Waitress/Server (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 23, 2016
great atmosphere, nice management, well organized and hygienic facilities, great flexibility for college students schedules, good, thorough training for people wanting to get more experience as a server, hostess or waitress.
Toxic and Ethnocentric Workplace
Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Pros: One free meal
Cons: No values or leadership at the locations I worked at.
I worked at 4 different locations in Calgary which were owned by the same franchisee owners. Cooking was the hardest part of the job, franchisee owners told us too only follow the recipe's and health code's when someone from head office was there watching. Otherwise we were made to omit expensive ingredients or not follow written cooking instruction. The only real training we received, was in how to fool head office people into thinking we were doing our jobs properly and following all the rules. We had to take guest receipts and fill them out daily giving the restaurants high guest satisfaction scores. None of the managers had any kind of post-secondary education and it shows. The only people to get promoted were the ones who played along fooling head office people the best.
Take Out (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: An amazing time working with great people
Cons: Heavy lifting
A typical day at work you have duties that need to be completed by the end of you opening shift. When closing, stock up is a must, everything need to be ready for the person who is opening the next day. I learned that time is key, it is a must to stay fast paced and on top of your work.Management and co-workers are amazing, everyone gives each other a helping hand if available.
Relaxed, enjoyable workplace with plenty of room for advancement. Fun and helpful staff as well as management.
Hostess/Expo/Prep/Takeout (Current Employee), Spruce Grove, ABFebruary 6, 2016
Pros: 50% off food while on shift, manageable hours, flexible schedule, relatively easy duties
Cons: Small amount of tip out, very busy rush hours, not enough weekly hours
Overall Swiss Chalet is a nice place to work at, however because of the amount of staff, hours are sometimes cut short. It is a perfect part-time job which offers a flexible schedule. The management knows what they are doing in terms of position advancements and each persons duties. The staff in general is very fun-loving and hard working, and they ensure all duties are done to satisfy the management. The hardest part of being a hostess/prep at Swiss Chalet is ensuring that customers are satisfied not only in your department of work but in general with everything. As it is sometimes out of our hands. The most enjoyable part of being a hostess/prep at Swiss Chalet is the ability to work at a pace in which you are comfortable with and to have the opportunity to build friendships and relationships in the workplace.