Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews

Boring, Stressful and an overall discomforting place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2013
I was supposed to work as a cashier at Swiss Chalet at the Scarborough Town Centre location in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I was set up to fail by my employer and I applied to a job as a cashier and I never recieved proper training as a cashier and instead I worked as food prep. The most I worked a week was 8 hours and that was for one week. Randomly I was given no hours for one week and then for the following 3 weeks before I was terminated I only worked once a week for 3 hours. I was never told that Swiss Chalet is unionized and I found out because money was being taken off my paycheck, I never recieved any information about being unionized and I still dont know who my union rep is. I was yelled at by my trainer for simply forgetting something that I may or may not have been taught. I was discouraged by the lack of faith by my co-workers and I was set up to fail because I was given very few hours and expected to come in on Friday during rush hour which is one of the busiest days especially for me- when i worked exactly 20 hours in a month and a half's time. It was hard to memorize all aspects of the job if I got barely any experience and my supervisor and co-workers didnt take that into consideration while I was being yelled at for making small mistakes or clarifying what I was supposed to do. The hardest part of the job was to remember all the little details that each dish needs before it is sent out for delivery or take-out. The most enjoyable part was getting to drink as much pop as i wanted. I also got $9.60 which is student wage but I looked up that unionized workers automatically  more... make more then minimum wage in almost all cases and minimum wage is $10.25-$10.75. ( not exactly sure what minimum wage is.  less
Pros
free pop
Cons
low wage, barely any hours per week if i got any, hard to deal with staff.
nice place to work. great people.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 28, 2014
this is my review story about my work at swiss chalet, everyday get ready at 11:00 to go to work, I arrive at work by 11:25. prepare the dishwasher for my shift at 11:30. the day starts off like any other, i separate the dishes and cutlery. then at 12:00 i walk around to see if there are side duties that need to be done. by 13:00 it is busy i clean dishes and put them away, this goes on til like 14:30, in between i do some side work like, break down boxes, clean building and the parking lot, garbage out front, potato cleaning, washroom cleaning, and so on. by 14:40 to 15:20 normally i would be cleaning my area and ready for the evening crew.15:20 to 15:29 little extra work or last minute work, then 15:30 clock out, depends on some days i may get out early, depends on what the boss says. most of the time i do get everything done before 15:15. from the boss, management, co-workers i learned work is very competitive and i take the 7 years of skills i learn and in the future i will use them to my full potential. the management team was very helpful and so were the co-worker we may have goof around sometimes but we always got along. the hardest part of work i sometimes fall back and get behind, sometimes i don't follow threw and slack on the job. but i try to remain positive and see right through to the end, even if i messed up badly i try hard to correct myself and make sure it does not happen. final the most enjoyable part is having a good conversation with co-workers, boss, managers. i am a person that keeps to himself. but i talk alot. i hope this was helpful and i hear from  more... you soon.  less
Pros
working at my pace. great working enviroment.
Cons
muiti tasking, lifting over 30 lbs. standing for long long periods of time.
Horrible Experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 5, 2014
The franchise owners only care about 1 thing, labor cost. Nothing else matters in these workplaces like health and safety and compliance with any sort of laws either.

No WHIMIS training was given too the staff so unsafe chemical usage common. Staff would mop the dining room area with oven cleaner, so every guest that came into the restaurant was exposed too/walking on oven cleaner. It got so bad that at one point every single kitchen staff member had skin rashes from the unsafe chemical use. If you complained about it too management they would just cut your hours.

Franchise owners make you falsify all the HACCAP food safety logs. Also if food was expired we had too peel off the expiration date stickers and put on new ones saying the food is good for another few days.

Canadian food inspection agency advertising rules have no effect here. They advertise the chicken as being fresh and cooked for 90 minutes, this is a total lie. At night they just pull cooked chicken spits out of the oven and put it back in the fridge. In the morning they are just put back in the oven. Same with the ribs being advertised as being marinated 24hours, most of the time the ribs come in frozen an hour before they are cooked.

The most disgusting thing of all were the deep fryers, every day at every restaurant they are supposed too be drained/filtered and cleaned out. Not here thou, deep fryers were NEVER filtered or cleaned out.

At this company, they will always put there own personal financial gain ahead of the health and safety of there own guests and associates.

Comment – September 10, 2014

The Temporary Foreign Workers at these workplaces also use mobbing/bullying against Canadian workers to make them quit. By doing so the Temporary Foreign Workers get too stay in the country long enough too get Permanent Residence.

Great workplace environment, Amazing community.
Hostess/Take out/Food Prep/Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 12, 2014
You come in 10-15 minutes before any shift. Relax wait to clock in, talk to who ever is already there. Catch up with the girls about what's going on. Clock in and start taking tables. Serve your customers to the highest standards, and always with a smile on your face.

I learned how to move up in a company and take up more responsibility. I learned how to believe in myself and that I could really do anything that I had set my mind to.

The people I work with are great! You aren't always going to get along with everyone you happen to come across, for the most part I get along well with everyone just fine.

The hardest part of the job is first starting out serving and learning how to take the occasional abuse that is thrown your way when talking to distraught customers. Of course not every customer is going to have the best time in the world. You can't please everyone, but you can try. It can be rough for the first little bit learning when to keep your mouth shut, but there are times when you need to stand up for yourself.

The most enjoyable part of the job probably has to be when you get those tables with the nicest people possible. You aren't in it for the tip then. You are in it to make their day and make sure they have a great time sitting in your section. If you happen to create a repeat customer then good on you, but if just by being yourself you happened to have made someones day, well that's the best part of my job.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
sometimes people get incredibly ignorant & rude
Fast-paced team atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, OntarioJune 7, 2015
My typical day is 10 hours long, however, I can/am called when I am not at work to help the other Managers/Supervisors to deal with problems that come up or because the alarm has gone off.
I am the only Manager on duty until the evening manager comes on. I spend my day checking equipment, food quality and service quality, placing orders, taking care of any administrative tasks during the quiet times and talking to guests with complaints or compliments.
The new ownership and General Manager are very nice and do care about their business. We can always get in touch with them if we need them, otherwise, we are entrusted with the business.
The majority of my co-workers are young and it's their first time working. I have learned how to relate to them and we both benefit from that. They are a fun group!
The hardest part of my job is prioritizing what's going on at the time and what needs to be done. Things can change in a moment. I may be putting in an order and have to stop to go and deal with a complaint or a broken piece of equipment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that there is a social side. I had been there for 5 years, left for 2 because of the ownership and I returned when the new ownership came in. The business had really declined with the old ownership and we have built it back up in the last year and a half. Word of mouth has spread that it has improved and the old regulars are glad to see me back. It's like visitors dropping by my house!
Pros
I am never bored
Cons
No life balance
Productive and Fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2013
A typical day at work for me is come in the call center sit down at my desk and start to work. I interact with customers and help solve conflict with customers.
I learned to have great customer service skills, i learned to make sure all the customers needs are met. I also learned that having a positive tone in the beginning of the conversation can make the customer feel good and have a great environment.
My management skills have enhanced by working at the call center i learned how to mange my time with my lunch breaks and work.
My co-workers are amazing i love interacting with them everyday they make my day at work 100x better. My co workers always come to me for advice, they say im very friendly and i give off a positive vibe.
The hardest part of the job is making sure the customers are always please with the service. Its hard because each customer is different and some of them might be really mean but at the end of the day i always connect with the customers and make sure their needs are met.
To be honest the enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customer everyday and the co workers. I love coming in everyday and learning something new, and talking to new people everyday.
Pros
interacting with different customers, hanging out with co workers on break, free lunches, solving different conflicts
Cons
Great flexibility for a student.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 20, 2015
This job is great for students in university. The weekends are very busy because there are few family restaurants in Airdrie. There isn't time to stand around, you're always doing something and there's always a task that needs to be done. In the time that I've been here I've learned how to effectively manage my time, make great use of my memory for menu items and how to work and communicate with a large team of people. I have also learned some safe food handling practices. My co-workers and I are all hard working, we all must do what we can to keep the floor running smoothly. We don't often replace our waitresses, we all know each other really well, it's nice to have staff that doesn't turn over. The hardest part of the job is to keep calm if the kitchen is having troubles organizing, as much as we have a great team, some days are better than others. I enjoy the fact that I get to work with people that I like and the customer base is fun as well. We offer good deals for food and we service a wide range of people. I enjoy the fact that we are a family restaurants and promote children in our workplace. I am a fan of children.
Pros
Flexible hours, good tips, happy staff
Cons
Difficult to have shifts covered
Low-grade adherence to guests' needs, and terrible management
server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 7, 2015
The management was all Asian people who would huddle in a corner talking about everyone and making sure all the "non-Asians" we're screwed over for hours. The management does not follow Union regulations, and the union people are complete idiots as well, because they never did anything to deal with it. Complete lack of professionalism and dedication to serving guests in a proper way. The restaurant lost so much money because they away too much free food, so no one was able to get a pay raise. They cheated people for hours, often not letting them work the three hours that are legally entitled to the worker after Coming in - they would cut people (only the non-Asians) after just 1 hour or 45 minutes of being clocked in and they refused to pay for the full 3 hours.
The owners are negligent a-holes and don't do anything to better the flow of the restaurant. Also extremely ethnocentric in that they tried to hire as many Portuguese people and Asians as possible. Literally the worst restaurant I've ever worked for and I've been working in restaurants my entire life.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Terrible management, racist behaviour, elitist attitudes, I could go on...
Unprofessional
Line Cook, General Cook, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, OntarioJanuary 1, 2014
typical day would be understaffed and over-busy. Management is handcuffed by ownership so the budget does not provide for the vital elements of a kitchen. Too few staff work way to many hours with no room for vacation due to lack of replacement. There is no compensation for carrying any excessive burden and there is no reward for hard work. People who call in sick often or just stand around are given easier jobs so as not to allow them to hurt any vital part of the restaurant when they dont show up. Should they not just be fired? With that precedence set, how can you expect anyone to work hard. Sadly, simply lasting more that 2 years is grounds for promotion because in all honesty that makes you a senior. Dirty conditions and half working equipment along with needy, selfish servers (who get paid even less than minimum wage so they are forces to rely on tips, consequently turning them into harsher versions of their personalities. It would be my job to find a way to contain the chaos, or at least make it manageable. This included making quality food, fixing and touching up orders and organizing staff.
Pros
plethora of personalities
Cons
long, inconsistent hours.
Fun loving workplace
Hostess / Take-out / Drive thru (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJuly 5, 2012
Working at Swiss Chalet was the best job I have ever had to this day. A typical day at Swiss Chalet consists of being with your Swiss family, that is what it's all about there. The staff is so close to everyone is amazing, we all got along do wonderfully! Swiss Chalet is a very busy restaurant due to drive-thru, takeout, delivery, and dine in and pick-up. I rotated between hosting, take - out and drive -thru. Swiss Chalet taught me the proper ways to interact with customers. The management there was okay, they're way of keeping track of hours worked was completely ridiculous. Writing what time you were there till on a piece of paper isn't exactly safe, what if you lost that little piece of paper? I could be getting cut off hours. The co-workers were awesome, wouldn't change them for the world. Very fun loving and crazy people! The hardest part of the job is staying cool and selective during a rush, or during the holidays. The most enjoyable part is taking the joy in preparing and packaging peoples food and putting a smile on their face.!
Pros
good co-workers, good hours, good work environment.
Cons
needs better pay!
fun restaurant(s) to work at, friendly coworkers
Server & Take-out clerk (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 28, 2014
I found that the Swiss Chalets I worked at were very fun, the staff were always friendly, and had flexible work hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job was serving the regulars - knowing that on some days specific customers would come in and request me as a server and make my job more enjoyable.

At the 3 Swiss Chalet's I've worked at (Guelph and Waterloo locations) the staff were always friendly and I always got along with both coworkers and management very well.

The hardest part of the job would be balancing my highly social personality with customers who perhaps are not as social or outgoing; sometimes having to deal with rude customers. Another difficult part of serving, especially at a Swiss Chalet where it is one of the cheapest places to eat, is ensuring the quality and happiness of the customers and receiving a poor tip, even though it was evident the best service was provided.
Pros
the social aspect and the sense of a work "family" was not only during work but outside work as well
Cons
minimal hours; only was needed for weekends and holidays
Fast pace and productive work environment
Hostess, Kitchen Help (Current Employee) –  BradfordAugust 12, 2015
A typical day at work is usually not busy but not slow it's just right for the restaurant industry. I learned how to cut chicken, cook chicken, work at a super fast pace, be organized, and have good work ethic and be a team player. Management was awesome! they always made sure there was help where it was needed and that all employees were well taken care of. Co-workers were friendly but some liked to be independent and weren't so crazy over team work. I'd say the hardest part of the job would be when you first start and getting used to knowing where everything is and where everything goes, and getting up to speed when it got busy, but once you got used to whee everything was and working at fat pace the day goes by just like that. Most enjoyable part of the job was always the end when you gt to go home because come on its work there's no enjoyable part about it.
Pros
Cara Discount Card for 20% up to 7 people for Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Montana's, Milestones, and Kelsey's
Cons
Not enough hours due to it mostly being an evening job
Fast pace energetic place with the oppotunity to meet new and amazing people on a daily base
Hostess/Food prep (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2015
It's never the same from 1 day to the next. Some days are slow and you can take extra time seating and conversing with guest while other days are too busy and the one on one conversation are limited. I am constantly learning new things about the food industry and serving the public. While it's impossible to please everyone, knowing that you have made someone's day makes my job so much better. We have a great management team who will always go the extra mile for the guest. I work with a great team. We are always on the same wave of energy making our working environment a home away from home. The hardest part of the job is when we are not busy. I am a worker and like to keep busy. Standing around doing nothing is not my cup of tea. I love knowing that at the end of the day I have made a different in someone's life. Whether it be a guest or co-worker, it's a nice feeling knowing that your action has had a positive effect on someone.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
discruntal guests
The best and worse job I have ever had.
Hostess / Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NBAugust 14, 2013
A typical day at work mostly involved being asked to do way more than my job description required. I don't mean going above and beyond, I mean literally being forced into a management position without the wages or title.
I learned how much I love working in a restaurant. For a long time I loved walking in those doors and getting to work. The rush from the fast pace environment was amazing.
Most of my co-workers were fun. The unfortunate thing was though that they were a different generation and that makes it difficult to relate with them.
The hardest part of the job was having to deal with everyone at your head during a rush. By everyone, I mean impatient customers, other hostesses, servers, and management falling under pressure.
The best part about my job was that I could do something different everyday and I learnt something new all the time. The staff are fun and good to you on most days. Everyone has a bad day.
It was the best and worse job I have ever had.
Pros
fast pace, team work
Cons
stressful
Great workplace to understand customer service.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 22, 2015
A Typical workday would be opening the cash tills for the store and to set up the cook line. Stock up food and to start portioning food for the day. Do the cleaning schedule for back of house and front of house in the restaurant, and punch in the hours for every employee that comes in and to punch them out when they are done. Close the store by locking up all doors and setting up alarm.

I have learned to be a very patient person for complaints due to the fact that all complaints are different in terms of that people are different in the way they can be vocal. To the their mood for that day.

My co-workers are great and professional

The hardest part of the job could be the long hours and sometimes dealing with more things at once. Due to the fact that i would be behind the line and a problem would occur in the store probably due to a complaint i would have to step out of the line and deal with the problem

Enjoyable part is when the store runs smoothly
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long hours with less help at times
Excellent facility with great staff and management
Expo (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 2, 2014
I would clean, stock, and watch over my area. I would set plates, make sure all food went out hot and ready at the same time, and provide servers with the correct table numbers and order. I learned a lot about time management, and how important communication was with the other staff members. My co-workers were excellent help when I was learning the ropes, and were very easy to work with. Everybody did their part, including the managers. Management was always on top of things and were always willing to lend a helping hand. The most difficult part of the Job would definitely be when communication was not apparent, and the kitchen would become backed up. Then we really had to work together! I loved the atmosphere; when everything was going smoothly, and we were all on top of our stations, I felt confident when sending out food orders. When a customer would send a compliment back to the kitchen it was a great feeling.
Pros
40% off food when you worked that day
Cons
my hours were not always great
fast paced, high stress, friendly coworkers
Server (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 23, 2012
Though I worked part time, some of my friends working full time, were still making part time hours. A typical shift and the most stressful part of a shift is the pressure to do more than one task at the same time, that is impossible for example, I may get yelled at by the manager because a customer has been waiting to pay their bill for too long while I wait on a few new tables, then while I take the payment and a complication occurs and the payment takes longer than expected, I will get yelled at for making my tables wait too long for a refill (too long is 5 min). I understand the desire to please customers, but a situation like this, which is not uncommon, reduces morale when the expectation requires a perfection that cannot be attained by a human because humans cannot be in two places at once. It was also not uncommon to be yelled at by management in front of customers and peers on purpose. The most enjoyable part of the job is making friends with other co-workers.
Efficient and extremely adaptable to newly hired members
Student at Western University Ontario (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONApril 28, 2014
Swiss Chalet provided for me a simple, clean and tightly run work environment, which in turn benefitted every work member and allowed for smooth and enjoyable shifts.

The people were friendly, inviting and kind towards me, especially since I was one of the fairly new staff member hired onto a staff who worked for years with one another.

Swiss Chalet was tasteful, functional and exciting to work at as it was always fast paced, without a moment to lose. It fit with my personality as well as the others who all kept their priorities their jobs, and securing the restaurant. The management was attentive to every member of the team, from the most experienced the newly hired and their influence worked into my work performance as habitual and easily adapted.

Overall this place was unique and taken care of, and as were each and every individual.
Pros
free dinners
Cons
hours cut short due to work position
Negative work environment - no positive reinforcement to do the job
Off premise (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJuly 9, 2014
I only worked at Swiss Chalet for two weeks as an Off Premise worker. My job involved packaging and preparing orders for customers (ex. filling sauce containers, informing cooks of what I needed prepared for the order). The reason I quit after two weeks was because I was only being told by my manager that I wasn't fast enough or doing the job properly, and lack of training. I was not being spoken to in a kind manner and I felt like I wasn't appreciated enough to do my job. I was told that "I didn't have to work here if I didn't want to" and when I spoke with them about the lack of training, that "that is not an excuse". I realize it was my first job but I don't appreciate being treated in such a way and when I go to work I expect to feel that I am wanted. Overall, the work itself wasn't bad, it was the management.
Pros
decent pay, simple enough work
Cons
negative work environment, lack of training, poor management
Steady and exciting place to be a part of.
Mid-line/cook (Current Employee) –  Keswick, OntAugust 3, 2014
A typical day at work, lots of people start coming in for dinner and that's when it would be the busiest, dinner time. i learned that from this job you have to be very organized and able to work under pressure, also you have to be quick on your feet, to be able to come up with solutions fast. My co-workers were mostly all good people but the one thing i learned while working there is that you have to be a team player and work well with anyone no matter how much you like or dislike them. The hardest part of working at Swiss Chalet would have to be weekends when there are so many associates working, because its always so crowded and it is hard to do anything with so many people in the kitchen. The thing i loved most about this job is that I was aloud to be so social with everyone and talk to people alot.
Pros
discounts on food and i can make it myself, how i like it.
Cons
not enough hours (not enough financial income)