Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews

Great job if you are capable of dealing with the busy weekends
Take Out (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON18 March 2017
Working in takeout has its ups and downs. Co workers in takeout/pantry/kitchen line cooks are great. Head manager is super nice but don't get in her way too much on really busy nights. Other managers are great too. Most servers are really nice. Being the cashier for takeout and drive thru can be difficult at times because the term the customer is always right isn't necessarily true. Otherwise it's a great work environment.
Pros
50% / 20% off meals (depending on if your working that day). Most coworkers are great
Cons
Thursday-sunday between 5:30 and 7:00 can be extremely busy and stressful, Not the best manager, over staffed takeout, some customers can be rude
Productive and Fun workplace
SUPERVISOR - SERVER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2017
Managing employees at high volume restaurant. What I learned from supervising at Swiss Chalet, is multitasking and working well under pressure. Also, learning administrative skills, such as scheduling, cash handling and learning computer programming. The hardest part of the job, is having to terminate an employee. Having to terminate an employee was by far the hardest for me, due to the reason I wear my heart on my shoulder and I always wanted the best for my employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with regular customers, helping out the staff as a team. As well, ensuring the quality of the food is set to standard and that the customers go home happy.
stressful and unsupported work envirnment
Take out, Hostess, Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2017
Depending on which section of the restaurant I was going to be working in really varied my stress level for the evening (or morning). However, without proper training in some areas, it was particularly stressful. Management was very disorganized and unprofessional, constantly changing the work schedule without consulting employees to favor others. When I was on a station that I knew, however, I would enjoy the fast pace of the restaurant business. There is always something to do.
Pros
Employee Discount
Outgoing and energetic workplace
Front, and Packager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 January 2017
A typical day would consist of dealing with customers on take-out and having to upsell our products (promote any features going on in the season)

I learned how to be a well mannered individual

the management was great, very positive vibe and fun to be around.

hardes part of the job would be the rush hours, when there are a lot of orders

most enjoyable part of the job would be having the customer satisfied
Pros
free food
Cons
non-flexible hours
Very Productive company and friendly workers
Dishwasher/Busboy (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON2 March 2017
Great job experience, learned allot about handling customer service, I'd say my people skills went up from being at this work place. Learned how to manage and utilize work and day to day life time. Learned allot about responsibility and food preparation.
Pros
Great shifts and sometimes I made up own hours to avoid inconvenience
Cons
often slippery and wet floors/can be hazardous
Good place to learn with opportunity for advancement
Server (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 January 2017
A fast paced, energetic work environment.
A great place to learn customer service in a supportive way. Management gives you the proper technical and verbal skills to handle any situation.
Co-workers were always fun to work with.
The hardest part of the job would be the pressure during the busy times of the day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customer that you get to know as they come in each week and ask for you. Knowing you are doing a good job and keeping the customers happy feels good.
Pros
The satisfaction of happy customers
Cons
working every weekend
Fun to work here
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 January 2017
I love working at Swiss chalet because I really enjoy the people I work with, I also enjoy making my tables happy and making sure that they are satisfied! The hardest part about this career is when tables aren't happy with their service or their food because we don't want bad reports.. but the good thing is that the problem is easily avoidable and we try our hardest to make everyone happy
Pros
Free lunches
Happy Workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE - SWISS CHALET (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 January 2017
-upbeat and fast paced environment
-learned how to multi-task and give quality customer service
-management is kind, understanding and supportive
-co-workers become family
-hardest part of the job is time management and working effectively at a fast pace
-most enjoyable part of the job is giving great service, and seeing how customers appreciate this
Pros
staff meal- 50% off
Cons
hard to find replacements for shifts
Would not recommend
Server (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 February 2017
I learned how to be assertive, friendly and sell myself in order to gain tips. The salary was lower than minimum wage. The managers were rude, insulting and passive aggressive. No one was happy at work, everyone was either complaining about favoritism, not getting enough hours or being fearful of becoming fired.
Pros
Serving customers, discount on food.
Cons
Management was rude, not enough hours.
Great Place To Work
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 February 2017
The shifts were on average 6 hours, I learned how to multitask rather quickly. I really liked my managers, they were great people. The hardest part of the job would have been when you were slammed with a bunch of tables, however to received a lot of help. The team work at Swiss Chalet was fantastic. I enjoyed talking to my co-workers at work and outside of work.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Not alot of hours
Fast paced
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North York, ON22 February 2017
I've learned a lot from working here. Communication skills, leadership skills and working in a fast paced environment where adrenalines run high. Learned how to properly deal with and manage customer complaints and lead people on my team in an effective way and seeing them grow. Met a lot of people and trained a lot of people whom I now call friends.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Ending late
Very Fun Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 February 2017
I worked at the brampton airport rd location. Management was great, i didn't like some employees but we all got along! Great vibe! FREE DRINKS for employees! if you don't have a social life definitely work there. I worked from 11am to 7pm. When i got home i couldn't get to do anything tbh! but i loved that place. There was a great Team There.
Pros
FREE DRINKS and Great Team
challenging and fun
Take Out, Host, Expo, Pantry (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 March 2017
this job was the first job i truly invested my time into and took seriously. It challenged me n the aspect of, i had to learn many new things to keep up at work, i had to really learn how to work under the stress of a busy restaurant. i loved the majority of the people i worked with. they always made me feel welcome and helped me continuously if i needed it.
Swiss chalet
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2017
Honestly i dont mind working there but i've been there for over 6 months and still havent recieved a raise. It's a friendly environment to work in with nice people but at my currently location its very far. You do alot of work for just minimum wage, the hardest part is dealing with rude customers and ones that lie to get free things.
Pros
half off for food.
Cons
only get a break if you work more than 4 hours
Awesome work environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 March 2017
Everyone who works at Swiss is SO nice. Even when the customers aren't great or something goes wrong, there's no fear in asking for help. The job itself isn't too challenging but isn't boring and it slowly teaches you how to deal with people every day until you barely even think about it anymore. I used to be a real recluse but this job helped me open up a bit more.
Not a good place to work.
Harvey's Garnisher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON20 February 2017
Swiss Chalet is a TERRIBLE place to work. Management is rude and treats you like garbage and yells at you in front of customers. Same with shift supervisors. No breaks, even when we're supposed to. Overall, terrible experience. Would not recommend working at any Swiss Chalet location.
Pros
Cons
Rude managers, no breaks, being treated like garbage
Great work environment
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 November 2016
When I started working there it was great but after a year went by all of my experienced coworkers moved on to other jobs and we got a new owner that was changing everything and hiring anyone who applied. I stuck with it for a while but it got to a point where I didn't see myself or my skills growing from staying there.
Pros
great work environment, great management, friendly coworkers, employee discount
Cons
long hours, called in to work often when i wasnt supposed to, new management, closing almost every shift
Love / Hate Relationship
Server & Pantry Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON16 January 2017
The poor management skills and favoritism of staff within the workplace really shortened others of their potential to excel within the restaurant. I loved my position and took pride in my role, I would work at Swiss Chalet again if provided the opportunity - just not the location I was at.
Good start for first job
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 December 2016
Swiss Chalet is a good place to start for a first job. Everyone is welcoming and you quickly feel comfortable. A typical day at work as a hostess would include cleaning and checking washrooms, busing and setting tables, and welcoming guests and seating them to their tables.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
Busy during weekends and holidays, not good enough hours
Love working at Swiss Chalet
Take Out/Pantry (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 February 2017
I love working at Swiss Chalet, they are great people, Friendly management and work amazingly with your outside work life and work schedules. I just do not get enough hours to live off of, so I need to find more work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Not enough hours in a week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swiss Chalet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9