Swift Transportation

Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
You have to start somewhere, but you can do a lot better than Swift.
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2015
Over the year I was employed by Swift I spent more time waiting for a load than I did actually driving. They never got me home on time, or even tried so far as I could tell. I went through 4 trucks due to the condition they were in prior to my being assigned them (one truck made it 3 miles from the terminal before it violently died, minutes after picking up a load that was then late due to the truck I'd just been issued). The dispatchers are drama queens (the 2 I experienced both were) and when they utterly fail you as a driver, as they both did, if you say anything about it to anyone, the loads you get after will be garbage. There's a lot of trucking companies out there, don't sell yourself short.
Every day is an adveture.
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Sparks, NVMarch 2, 2015
Pros: travel, freedom, no dress code (except no open toe shoes)
Cons: away from home weeks at a time, truck break down = no pay, can't always get home when needed, restroom facilities not always available right when you need them.
A typical day of OTR driving with Swift consists of daily vehicle inspections, route planning, Navigating, vehicle fueling, communication with driver manager and hauling product via tractor trailer cross country.

I learned how to do trip planning, drive in seasonal conditions, navigate, drive commercial vehicle in large cities and how to live in a compact area.

Management and co-workers were rarely seen unless we were at a Swift terminal. I mostly communicated with my driver manager with questions pertaining load that was being hauled. You respect them, they respect you.

The hardest part of the job was being away from home for usually over a month at a time, not being able to use restroom facilities right away, shower daily, maintain a healthy diet and lack of exercise

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the country, meeting new people, seeing different cultures and just learning something new every day.
Driving in all types of weather conditions I've experienced it...
Owner Op - OTR (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMarch 2, 2015
I've Learned that Black Ice OTR is alot dangerous than you think..Its an overall good company they just need to find new people to work as the Driver Managers because the swift terminal in Decatur, Ga does not know how to run a successful business.
Bad place to work
Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2015
Will let you sit in the truck stops for a few days. you have forced dispatches. will try not to get you home when you want to go. wont give you the miles they promised.
A good place to start a driving carrer
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: good enviroment to work
Cons: low pay back those times
my first experience as a truck driver and i still love drive today,they have a tractor trucks terminals bases almost in every state which i love it.The only thing its back that time iwas begining my driving carrer and dicide to change and stay driving local with other company.
Great company that treat their drivers bad
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee), South FloridaFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits, take him a truck
Cons: limited days home, forced dispatched, petty games
Pros: They help you get a cdl. As a solo new driver .33 cent per mile.

Cons:The academy sUcks. No one on one time you have to be able to use youtube and google properly and inplement it. Its no free food or bonuses no matter what the recruitment tell you. They treat the drivers horrible. Im a new driver and they have spiteful times they would have me wait 5 days out on the road in the winter for a 300 mile empty then a T-call. Smh. I don't understand how such a big company with so many "loads" can have driver siting like ducks. Same with an owner op. Had him siting for 3 weeks. They kept playing the dispatch game where they "dispatched" him to no loads so he couldn't get any. Smh it's crazy the games the DM's play.
Not What You Expect
Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: away from home, pay is horrible
Truck driving at its worst. You are told one thing and given numerous explanations as to why it was not true in the first place.
satisfactory
OTR Driver (Current Employee), augusta, gaFebruary 23, 2015
I enjoy driving over the road although i am not at home much, management could be better but my current overall experience is ok.
Very routine & cultured diverse environment.
Fleet Manager (Former Employee), Chicago Ridge, ILFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: good benefits, vacation
Cons: at time upper management is confusing. when you expect them to have your back, knowing all the pressure your on, they turn their heads and leave you to the fire.
Typical workday for managers starts anywhere from 5 am to 7am. As on onsite manager I worked from 5-3. These hours however were dependent on if you accomplished certain tasks. Otherwise you were in earlier the next day. Management was their. I had a boss who always was their for me until the very end. Co-workers were great, It was more of a team environment. Hardest part of the job would be attempting to accomplish all the tasks to satisfy your drivers an boss's. The most enjoyable part of the job was you made alot of long lasting relationships with the drivers.
great people to work with
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee), Lancaster, TXFebruary 16, 2015
worked here for about 7years one year as company driver and the rest was owner operator had a great time traing and also had did a target account
Over the road Truck Driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee), ArizonaFebruary 16, 2015
Great company, very professional lots of miles and loads. Training is excellent and trucks are new. I highly recommend
It is what you make of it.
Class A Commercial Driver (Former Employee), Mira Loma, CAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: steady work, many different fleets to choose from
Cons: low pay
12 hour shifts. Learned the whole driving industry by working for Swift and I have that to be thankful for. Gained great knowledge of the industry and the experience to move on to a better paying career.
Good company to work for.
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 15, 2015
Had a great experience working for Swift. The staff was very helpful and professional.I would recomend anybody looking for a OTR or Kansas City Local trucking job.
Good to work for
General Mechanic (Former Employee), Troutdale, ORFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: comrodery
Cons: the distance traveled to work
The people that run the shop had experience in the field. The guys in the shop could ask questions to do the job rite the first time.
loved working here
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2015
I loved what we offered the public at total long term care. a place to go during the day that offered many professional necessities to the senior community
Typical office enviornment.
Planner (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 12, 2015
Cube farm. Normal office setting.
Great place to start and learn the transportation industry.
I work with a great group of people.
Productive and easy workplace with nice people
Operator /Mentor (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 11, 2015
I like working with this company because there was nice people and good driver management. The hardest part of this job is when you miss direction. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get your paychck.
Don't go here
Driver (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSFebruary 6, 2015
Cons: the company is a scam
I went through the schooling as required. I was let go for no reason that had to do with my job. Three weeks into training I was let go and left with a huge debt nearly impossible to pay.
Good way to travel around the states and make money
professional Truck Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: bed to sleep in, travelling
Cons: the hours
I wake up look at where i am going plan it out then drive to location. the hardest part of the job was the hours always on call and not enough personal time. the best part of the job was the traveling.
A good company to start or finish your career with, if you're somewhere in the middle, look elsewhere
Driver/Driver Mentor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: see the country or at least your region
Cons: long days that you aren't fully compensated for. you give the company a lot of your time for free
Decent miles, decent equipment. More good people in some terminals, more not so good people in others. A good company to start, re-start or finish your career with, might want to find somewhere better for the in-between.

1 2 3 4 5

About Swift Transportation

Swift Corporation is a truckload carrier that operates a fleet of truckload carrier equipment.

Swift Transportation Photos