Suzy Shier Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very good company that I enjoyed working , I learned a lot of new things to deal with.
Stock Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 27, 2014
Pros: the hours were very accurate.
Cons: the hours were very accurate.
My typical day at work is very Interesting and not tiring; I find working very beneficial towards my career job that meets my goals. Working is my passion; Which is due to my past experiences. I always loved and enjoyed working all my life; I find that Working, Being successful towards the company which I am hired through makes me feel Independent and Confident that meets my standards.

I learned a lot about Customer service skills with my past expreinces as a volunteer and Hired through the company. Those expreinces thought me a lot of knowledge; How talk to a customer, Provide knowledge about the products,Being very polite to the customers needs And also to handle bad situations with customers.

Management to me is Making sure the store is good at all times, Handling to customers needs, Good communication skills required, Knowledgeable about products, Making sure the company is making the finical needs, Attending to your employees schedules and making sure there work is professional all times and most importantly Punctual and a quick learner towards the companies standards.

Co-workers to me is the best part of the job because you learn how to meet different people. I find that working as a team in a company will bring its higher position in the market. Also you learn to make new friends to build your communicational skills. Makes you more social and very pleasant.

I find the hardest part of the job is nothing because I loved working at all times in my past experiences. I think working is one of my goals for the future. Its always a better feeling to me even if it's hard; – more... I stay dedicated to my work life. A job which I always liked trying my best in anything, Willing to learn new things, Never giving up that's My Passion and My goals towards my future. Staying focused with my work life, Future needs which I love being Independent.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working towards a Team; Helps me build my skills, Staying dedicated to my job, Meeting new customers everyday that brings more knowledge about different Information with the world, Getting know people, Knowledge about business standards and helping customers with their needs. – less
Learning about Fashion. and working with a team
Team Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: learning about display's, learning about fashion, working with a team
Cons: long hours, bad training for manager's, not enough hours for each store
your typical day You have 1 hour in the morning usually by your self to vacuum, mop, dust, visual display's, and get the store ready for your opening, next employee usually comes in at around noon, so you have about 2-3 hours to help customers, finish task lists, and sometimes shipping and receiving and mark downs, once this employee comes in there is usually putaways (depends how busy the store was in the morning) and the first employee goes for a break, in the afternoon before the evening employee comes in you need to work together to follow displays and quickly get product on the floor for selling, attend to customer's and that is change room's, floor help, and transactions. manager needs to make a list for the evening employee's to follow.

They teach you about fashion and how to make display's, they teach you about customer service and couch you on there guest card and give little incentives to get you to reach your goals.

With Suzy Shier, you can move up quickly.
As a team leader I had excellent training
Assistant manager i had good training
Manager very poor training i asked my DM for help with training from day one since i never had management experience before it took 4 months to get someone in to the store to train me (1 day with paper work)

The hardest part is not having enough hours to run the store proper to get (tasking done) and manager's work 40+ hours
The best part you work close with your team and you learn about latest fashion trends.
Over worked and under paid
Team Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee), cross iron millsJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: fast passed, room for improvement
Cons: bullied, underpaid, unfair hours
When hired, I was told I was going to become an assistant manager, though when my manager came back from a vacation she hired someone else for me to train to become assistant manager.
There were a lot of restrictions on what I could or couldn't wear. I am a bigger girl and couldn't fit most of the clothes sold there but was constantly talked to for not wearing a full outfit from the store.
The manager would call me names, and make jokes about me, and take extended breaks and would make terrible scheduling hours, where I was the only one who knew how to use the till, and during my 9 hour shift I was not able to go on a break because no one else could work the till.
I would at points be working a 12 hour shift, with a half hour unpaid break because there was too much to do and only be getting paid for 8 hours.
With this I decided to get a second job better suited for me, so I worked part time at both. The manager as suzy shier threatened to demote me, and although I gave her my schedule for my other job in advance she would sometimes make me work over a shift that I was needed for at my other job, causing me to call in and be late.
My time With You
FT Key Holder (Former Employee), Calgary, AB DownTownSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: sales and discounts
Cons: sales and discounts
Working for Suzy Shier INC was a great and busy place to work. Being located in the core of Calgary's Downtown you get alot of business ladies that know what they need and have a little time to do it. So, I had to make sure that I gave each lady an one on one personal shopping experience. As in making sure that each customer knows about daily promotions and sales, also calling different stores for curatin garmnents for the customer's needs. My role in Suzy Shier was a Keyholder. That means I had the responsiblites to make sure either the tills are open and close for the day. Gave hourly emails to head office about sales cmpared to last years and goals. Also, when the managers are not in the store I would be in charge of 3 girls. Making sure they are helping customers and making sure we can hot target goal. In the time I worked at Suzy Shier They went through many managers for unknown reasons. But I have met people from head office also other mangers across Canada and they were sweet and very enjoyable to work for. I enjoyed working for suzy Shier and with all employees. The hardest part of the job is trying not to spend my cheque on clothes the only thing.
Low Salary Means Lack of Staff Retention
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Charlottetown, PEIJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: hour long breaks were nice! benefits were decent.
Cons: pay was terrible, hours were terrible, and terrible staff retention.
A typical day included customer service, retail sales, organizing, recommending, suggesting, stocking, inventory, and minor cleaning tasks.

I learned a lot about visual merchandising and poster setting.

Management was lacking in the sense that there was constantly need for staff as we couldn't hold on to anyone. This made it difficult for current staff as we were always called in and schedules changed constantly.

Co-workers were excellent and flexible.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of consistency with the schedule and the terrible retention we faced. The near minimal pay and lack of hours to go 'round made it difficult for the staff who worked hard, wanted to move up, and were successful employees.

The best, or most enjoyable part of my job was the staff and the customers. I love interacting with people. I was always grateful that I was able to secure at least 32 hours, but this wasn't the case for the majority of staff.
Poor company to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCDecember 5, 2014
Pros: christmas clothing credits where you have a certain amount of store credits to shop with
Cons: difficult customers, excessive amount of work to do on your own
If opening store:

Open till (if manager or assistant was not on duty)
Ensure all clothes were put away from fitting rooms and tidy on racks/tables
Sweep floor
Dust
Steam clothes
Wash windows
Tidy display racks

During store hours:

Customer service
Start fitting rooms for customers
Help customers find particular clothing/sizes
Keep fitting room clean and free of clothes
Put clothes back on racks/tables
Fold clothing on tables
Assist customers at cash register
Sign customers up for store promo card
Upsell
Find clothing for customers at other Suzy Shier stores in local area if size/colour isn't found in store of employment

If closing store:

Duties identical to opening with the exception of closing the tills and doing nighttime office duties/paperwork

Hardest part of the job was the excessive clothing to put away and keep tidy

Most enjoyable part of the job? None, really.
my first job
Stock Person / Customer Service (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: working in the mall
Cons: no car
this was my first job in high school I was the stock person for La Senza and Suzy Shier in Chatham, It was fun I would go there after school to stock up on any merchandise they needed stocking, I would also help the customers with anything they needed help with. My co-workers were fun to be around very exciting atmosphere and it was a fun challenge for me to mix school and work for the first time, It prepared me for the future which helped out a lot. The hardest part of the job was not having a vehicle when I was living in Tilbury I would have to get to Chatham and I didn't have a car that was the only downfall, I loved the people though that was always fun to see different styles they would put together or ask for my help to help them put an outfit together
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: Great realationship in the workplace
Cons: Unsave work environment
Working at Suzy Shier is my very first job, and I have grown to know a lot about myself. I learned how to deal with customers on difficult days, how to multitask , take control of difficult situations and most importantly my likes and dislike about what I want in my working environment. I have a very good relationships with all my co-workers, because of that, work is so much more enjoyable for me. I was given the opportunity to be apart of the management team. I took that as challenge. At the same time it filled me with knowledge and it made me a better employee. I was able to grow as a leader and be confident in what I say and do. Over all working at Suzy Shier was a great work experience. Now I want explore my options to know what best suits me.
overall a life lesson experience
Customer Service/ key holder (Former Employee), Midland, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Lack of communication
Co-workers and customers where the highlight of this job interacting one on one with clients is highly rewarding.
Hardest part of the job is full visual changes throughout the entire store with only a small time frame for end product to be completed.
Management lack capability to communicate with staff members, I personally found having myself ask and relate information to others as I felt it was needed to be share with everyone not just management etc.
This was a particular case as my manager failed to do her duties and was a life lesson experience as to what you can and cannot do and to always report and bring any issues above management.
Not fun for Co-op
Co-Op Fashion Consultant (Former Employee), Brampton, OnMay 20, 2015
Pros: Learning experience
If you're a high school student planning to do co-op, I suggest you find somewhere else to do it. From my Experience, doing my co-op at Suzy shier was BORING and hardly an experience I would want to do again. I did nothing but walk around the front of the store all day, greeting and cleaning up. They made me do basically all the jobs, they didn't want to do "Greeting, cleaning the store before opening, advertising for sales". I was only able to do stock maybe twice, never able to do change rooms.

Work was only enjoyable if there was a lot of people in the store! When there was downtime, the others would be talking in the back, on their phones, while I had to continue walk around and clean.
Fun at Suzy Shier
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Welland, ONFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: the regular customers
Cons: the hours
Working at Suzy Shier has been a great experience, I have learned various new Training techniques that helped me grow as an employee and also grow as a shift leader by being able to train other staff members on selling tips, statistics, and any new program the company brings in. My co-workers are great they are full of energy and motivation, which makes The hard part about my job easy. I would say the hardest part about my job is the visual changes. Our store is a lower volume store so we do not get all the product or have all the hardware they use in the pictures they send so we have to do a lot of compromising.
great place to utilize customer service skills
Stock/ Sales associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 1, 2012
Pros: fun
Cons: overly long hours
On an average day I worked open to close mall hours. I had a lot of cleaning and maintaining the store to do. I learned shipping and receiving and how color blocking works. My co-workers were many as there was a high turn over rate although i found most of them to be good company. The hardest part of my job was maintaining the stock in an inadequately sized storage room. The best part of my job every day was seeing the customers leaving happy with their purchase. I also thoroughly enjoyed rearranging the store and changing the over all lay out when new set ups were needed.
More work required than what I was paid for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Good coworkers, good work environment
Cons: Extremely underpaid, no recognition for hard work
In the beginning, I enjoyed going to work and I felt like I had the work ethic that could help me move up in the company. However, my work ethic was extremely undermined. I did everything I could to move up; excellent customer service, fast-paced work ethic, Prestige card percentages and emails were high, and being there when the manager needed me to. I felt I did more than what I was being paid for and I never saw a raise in the two years I have worked there. I wasn't moved up to a shift lead position even though the manager told me I was at the top of her list. While I loved working with the people there, there was no recognition for the work that was done by all staff.
Productive and energetic team
Seasonal Temporary Worker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 23, 2013
Pros: met new people
Cons: lunch was only 30 minutes
A typical day at work for me was to pack up all the clothing, shoes and misplaced items. I learned that in a clothing company, gets very hectic and it is a lot of work. The manager at Suzy Shier was very nice and a helpful person. The co-workers were really nice and just a great bunch of people. The hardest part of the job was running back and forth to get something for the customer that wasn't even there and they kept asking even though we did not have the item they wanted. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing new people and see how to work with people.
Amazing employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Victoria, BCNovember 18, 2015
Pros: Good employees
Cons: Should be more than minimum wage
I only worked here for about 7 months, it was my first retail job experience. I didn't really enjoy the job, the management was okay. What I liked most about the job were the other girls that worked there. Everybody was super nice and got along great. They started me off as Part Time and then pretty much On Call and then kind of just let me go with 8 or sometimes less hours per week so unfortunately I had to give my notice.
Great workplace!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 11, 2014
Pros: fashion oriented
Cons: big store
Suzy Shier was a great place to work at. On a typical day at work, I would make sure the store is tidy and neat. Since it is a fairly big store, I would have to make sure all the clothes were put away properly. Greeting people and informing them of sales was also a big part of my job. I was also, sometimes, in charge of change rooms. At times I would help with cashing out items. At Suzy Shier, i learned about loss prevention and how to be aware of my surrounding in the store. My co-workers at Suzy Shier were amazing and very fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was remembering where certain clothes items were. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the amazing people I worked with.
Suzy Shier
Inventory Manager (Former Employee), Newmarket, OntarioDecember 24, 2013
Pros: steady hours
Cons: being called in by management despite calling in sick
A typical day at work required me to go in at 8 and finish at 5, with only one break. I learned to organize and prioritize as much as possible for this job because there was far too much work for one person to handle alone.

The hardest part of the job was learning how to do clothing transfers as there was zero training in this job. The management was far too preoccupied with sales to properly train any of the staff members.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to organize the clothing under a strict time limit. It was a great challenge.
Fun and rewarding workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONAugust 20, 2015
Pros: flexible, good discount, excellent staff
Cons: short/minimal hours
Being my first retail experience, training was much easier than I expected it to be. Co-workers and management were vey easy to work and get along with. The best part of working for Suzy Shier was the interactions with customers; helping them find what best fits their wants/needs, and the store discounts. The most difficult part of this position is being able to adjust to the amount of multi-tasking it takes for a good sales day. Overall, friendly, professional and flexible workplace.
productive and fun workplace with great people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2015
a typical day was helping cusomers finding what they are searching for, help them into a fitting room, and cash them out. What i learned was good social skills. Management gave us good advice on how to do better and the co-workers were so friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was not knowing where certain clothes were located when someone asked for it. The most enjoyable part of the job was able to go to work stress free and leave work stress free.
Amazing Way and opportunity to serve customers in a fast pace environment.
Part timer/Team Leader/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flexibles hours
Cons: change of schedules
Everyday is challenging and exciting. I learned to be multitasking and efficient and short periods of time. I managed customers, company demands and provided efficient training to all my co-workers everyday. The hardest part of the job was prioritizing tasks and guide the team members to be on top of what was important for the day. At the end of the day, it was rewarding to see beating last year sales. It was enjoyable to go home and accomplish sales.