Suzy Shier Employee Reviews

Unrealistic expectations within hours given to stores
Manager (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON18 October 2016
I met many great people during my time with the company. The first five years were great and I was able to retain staff for lengthy periods of time, above the expected time in retail industry. When VP, RM changed, the culture changed. It became so regimental. Expectations were unrealistic. Morale became low due to upper management never recognizing positive results. The new RM is a puppet and cares nothing about her people. Turnover increased by 60%! Job security non existent.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, lack of opportunity for advancement
Great product, unrealistic expectations.
Management (Former Employee) –  Northern Ontario20 October 2016
I met some great people and still keep in touch with many.
They have a great training program however difficult to train staff due to shortage of hours.
Customer service was the part of my job responsibilities I enjoyed. However, due to high expectations, high stock levels and constant visual changes and low hours unfortunately I couldn't provide the level of service I would have liked to.
In the past few years, upper management has forgotten what it's like to be at store level and has set unrealistic expectations of the stores, therefore decreasing morale.
It's disappointing as they have such a great product at affordable prices and this used to be the best place to work in the mall.
Pros
Hour lunches, co-pay benefits for full time
Cons
Low morale due to unrealistic expectations, low hours
It was a learning and stepping stone.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 March 2017
- The location I worked at did not have a lot of traffic, therefore days were typically slow.
- I learned that presentation of the front store is key to attracting customers.
- My manager was new and fresh at managing a retail store, therefore there was a lot of trial and error. However her intentions were well, and she did try her best with what she had.
- There were not many employees in the store unfortunately so it's hard giving a rating on the culture of the store.
- The hardest part was making sales. As mentioned in the first answer, there was not much traffic in that area, so we did not have many customers. It wasn't an ideal location.
- It was a relaxed environment without much stress.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Not enough hours
I was exploited and taken advantage of
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 March 2017
I felt exploited and taken advantage of while working for Suzy Shier.
I had the manager take credit for my sales in shift goals at one location.

And at another location re-built and assisted in training a whole new team and helped a store that was in a construction run-down area gain momentum again. I helped bring down the stores shrink and LP scoring to an all time low in a long time.

I went above and beyond for the company taking on the responsibility of most of the stores paperwork, played an assistant manager and manager role on a Team Leader Salary!

The sales targets and upselling pressure were stress induced and caused me permanent emotional damage.

I was exploited and should have sued!
Productive and amazing work crew
sales associate and/or cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 September 2016
Usually showing up to work is exciting and if not the sales crew eventually gets you there. I learned a lot about persistence, responsibility, gratitude and commitment. The management team is amazing. All the women and men there were there to guide you and help you have a great sales experience. The most enjoyable part was going to occasional dinners for the sales team.
Pros
Quality time, new friendships
Cons
A fun atmosphere with great people
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 October 2016
Suzy Shier is a great company. I enjoy my work, I enjoy the product and I have a great respect for the upper management. The salary and benefits are not the greatest so I am always looking for opportunities and open to offers.
Suzy shier
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2017
It's not the best company I don't see myself here for the long run and I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone to be honest it's good for a job when your in school or just getting out but it's not a career there's really no opportunity for growth within the company .
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Not paid enough, work you to the bone with no reconation.
My experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2016
I was blessed to have worked with such an amazing team, and it was great how much I was able to contribute to our work environment. Our store was well organized and maintained. Our management team also never neglected to ensure that we reviewed updates and changes to company policy and security. Nevertheless the commute was challenging and as a part timer it was difficult for me to maintain this job. But overall my experience there was quite positive.
visual Art and Fashion trends
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2016
Every day is a challenge, we strive to make our goals, earn prestige members, recommend costumers to take 5% of range, and sell more clothes for the sales. There are so many things I've learned and is still learning from this place. One of them are patience, perseverance and communication. Because Suzy Shier mostly attracts office ladies, we need to act accordingly. Despite my age, I have learn to be mature and calmly solve any problems. The harder part is their management. They're too articulate particularly with small details. Strict and stressful, which affects our work environment. My co workers are amazing, only I was unfortunate to start at a place where there were too many dramas, reason why I transferred to another store. Although I've learn quite a lot. Now that they changed the employees of this certain work place, it is a lot better to breath. The most enjoyable part of this job is that you get to communicate with professional ladies thus, widen up my directions. Great opportunity if you are determined, learning fashion trends and visual management.
Pros
co workers buys you drink
Cons
costumers with attitude
Team was great
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2016
Every team I worked with was great, but hard to advance within the company; at times I felt that a lot of my hard work was overlooked. Good job for students, but be prepared to fight tooth and nail for advancement
Pros
Discounts and exposure to various fashion trends
Cons
Hard to advance withing company
Not a good experience
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 November 2016
Very poor management, extremely little organization and poor communication. Overall lack of respect between the management and staff as well as no one believing in what we were promoting.
Expectations too high with no reward
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 September 2016
This company expects too much from their employees with no reward. They expect you to push product on customers when there is no commission, to the point where you are reprimanded if targets are not met.
They expected a lot of responsibility with no compensation and there was little room for growth.
Very flexible with scheduling and coworkers were always great.
The hardest part of the day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 November 2016
The hardest part was during rush hour and we had to make sure customers don't steal, which was hard when you were working when the store was full of people.
Pros
fixed schedule
Cons
not good management
Fun, classy stylish
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2017
For someone that has worked and been around guys (In the gym and during rec games) its a breath of fresh air for me to work with all female employee staff. The ladies I work with are fun but strict given it is a work place, very understanding when it comes to emergencies . Shifts depending on certain days and location you work can be slow but the duties along with the soundtracks in the store help pass the time.
productive and nice work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
The most enjoyable part about working there was the environment the people and my co workers, everyone was so nice and very helpful! getting to know them and even customers that came often was a nice experience.
Pros
building my customer service skills
Cons
not getting to learn cash
fast pace environment
Junior Buyer/ Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Mont-royal, QC19 May 2016
A day at working at Suzy Shier is very different as it is an extremely fast paced enviroment. We as buyers are currently on the watch for current trends and react to them quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with product and bringing trends that best suit our target market. The greatest satisfaction is seeing a style created or purchased become a best seller. the hardest part of the job is the lack of advancement. The office is Montreal based buying department consists of a few buyers. I am looking for a compay I can grow my career long term.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
advancement
I rather not write a review on a public site.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON7 March 2017
While I am very grateful that I was provided with the opportunity to be an employee there, I wish to keep my opinions to myself and retain an unbiased opinion on the company, and not provide a review that would seem unsatisfactory to some.
C'est une très bonne ambiance
Service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 January 2017
Ma gerante ma beaucoup appris sur tout et elle m'entraîne en CE moment pour avoir la cles du magasin si elle aurai besoin de quelque pour ouvrir et ferme le magasin. ( pour etre une chef d'équipe )
Pros
Free snacks and foods
Cons
JE n'ai pas beaucoup d'heure des fois
Great co workers Horrible business atmosphere. Back in 1970's...
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
Great coworkers
Company needs to figure their business out productively. There are way behind in the times to save money to make money they can't make with what they are pocketing.
what you learned
Assistant Manager/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 December 2016
This position taught me mostly everything I know about retail. The hardest part was leaving it to further my schooling. I believe everyone should work retail once in their life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suzy Shier. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9