Surrey Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Busy, chaotic, fast paced emergency room
Medical Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 June 2016
There are no typical days at Surrey Memorial Emergency! I have learned to stay organized and task oriented during the rush and I keep busy by strengthening my personal relationships by learning about my colleagues when it's slow. The hardest part of my job is seeing the grief from families during tragedy and the most enjoyable is part is the rewarding feeling of helping someone in need.
Pros
It's exciting sometimes
Cons
Overtime night shifts
Productive and constantly learning new things on the job
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 June 2016
As I am a new volunteer at Surrey Memorial, I find the staff and other volunteers very friendly and easy to approach with any questions I have. On a daily, I am learning new things about the hospital and recognizing regular patients as well. The hardest part of volunteering is when you see patients or guests that are in a vulnerable state because they are sick/ ave loved ones in the hospital that they are worried about. The best thing about volunteering is having the ability to give back and help others the most I can
Pros
Giving back and helping others
Cons
N/A
Smh
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 September 2016
Surrey Memorial hospital is a great place to get experience as a student nurse. The staff is very helpful. I worked in acute care and i learnt a lot as one get lot of opportunities to work in variety of skills.
The staff is great, more funding would. E great
LPN (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 November 2016
I think surrey memorial is a great place to work. The people there are very friendly and it is a great place to work. the management however needs to listen to the staff.
It was fun
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 October 2016
Coworkers are very nice. Hardest part of the job was seeing the patients. I learned a lot from working there. It was enjoyable cause it was close to my house.
I worked there a long time ago but great way to get started in the field
Rehabilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 May 2016
I helped assist therapist in rehabbing the older adult. I dnjoyed building relationships and working with a wholistic team. I enjoyed the recreation programs the most.
Great learning environment
Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 November 2015
My preceptorship at Surrey Memorial Hospital was my most memorable clinical experience to date. I got to take charge and initiative and truly be a full scope Practical Nurse. I took on a full patient load, usually 4-5 patients, and provided care including medication administration and teaching, pain management, wound care, ostomy care, cather insertion and care, tube feeding, documentation, clinical policies and procedures, working with the interdisciplinary team to collaborate on patient care, and advocating for my patient.
Its a very busy workplace but people working in the unit are very supportive cooperative.
Maternal/Child Aide and Maternal OR Aide (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 November 2012
Usually day shifts are very busy, mostly scheduled C-sections are in the morning. At nights, it can be very busy too depending on the patients condition but usually not as busy as the day shift.

I've been very lucky with my co-workers they've been very supportive and helpful to me since I'm new in the unit.

I can say the hardest part of the job is that whenever there are lots of C-section because you have to move so quickly but efficiently.

The enjoyable part of the job is after you finish the shift and you know you did your best to do your job and nothing went wrong and you don't have to worry about anything about work when you get home.
Pros
Cons
no enough hours
Lots of amazing co-workers
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 September 2013
A typical work day for me, was working in the family birthing unit. Not only did you get to clean all the rooms of people with the cutest brand new babies, the nurses, care-aids and even fellow housekeepers were really great to work with. I learned everything from how to clean things properly, sanitize, proper way to use PPE gear, to learning a little about sicknesses and illnesses as well. My management was pretty great, Was pretty good when I needed extra time off for family visiting, or moving. The hardest part was moving away. I would have to say the most enjoyable part was seeing patients get better, and just knowing that what you were doing was a huge help to everyone who was apart of the hospital.
Pros
Half hour paid break, great staff
Cons
Sometimes the job was on-call
Productive learning opportunities for learning Skills
Employed Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 September 2014
Employed as an Employed student Nurse. Performed daily nursing skills under the supervision of a licensed RN. Management was great as to cooperating with school schedule.
A graet place to work , very friendly staff, and supportive management
Manager of Medical Health Services (Former Employee) –  Medical Service Manager on 5E and 5W5 May 2012
A very supportive management structure, thourally enjoyed working with other managers and supportive directors.The departmental structure has changed and roles have changed reflecting organizational growth.
My challange was working with 50% of available staff, attempting to keep budget within its alloted lines, recruiting and maintaining staffing ratios. I also enjoyed responding to patients and families concerns, overcoming the barriers and building lasting relationships within the community.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working under a very supportive director, working with other managers, craeting greatest nursing teams on the units and the most missunderstood part about Surry Memorial Hospital, that all staff and departments were exceptionally caring and supportive people.
Pros
enhancing employee lifestyles by promoting wellnes, with access to massage therapy
Cons
can not think of any
fun place
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  surrey british columbia7 June 2012
At Surrey Memorial hospital it's fun to work I enjoy dealing with different people. I like working in a fast pace environment.
Pros
good salary
Cons
on call while you are casual/ limited schedule
GOOD
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 April 2014
SMH IS VERY SUPPORTIVE AND WELCOMING HOSPITAL,I FELT FROM MY HEART WHEN I FIRST MIGRATED FROM ENGLAND TO THIS HOSPITAL.MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATION ARE REMARKABLE.
Workload
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 October 2012
Many changes annually
Unit changes
Management Changes
Unit Clerking was very challenging, but also very rewarding
Pros
work and co-workers
Cons
management

4.2