Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse

Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse Employee Reviews

Left unsatisfied
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON24 October 2017
Worked 80+ hours, with little to no help from management. Was promised the moon and given a pink slip.
I would not recommend working for this company. When let go 1 week before my 3 month waiting period, I was promised all of my commissions however was never paid on them. I was also offered no reason for the dismissal.
This is a company who relies on front line staff but doesn’t treat them as valued employees. In fact, the hours were so long that it worked out to under $5/hr - you know, not getting paid fairly but working your —�— off.
Stay away from this company. In your choice for employment and in your choice for buying furniture.
Pros
I don’t work there anymore
Cons
Long hours, empty promises
Great place to learn how to sell
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON23 October 2017
I worked at the time management was a mess. Sales associates struggled to hit goal because merchandise was never available. You work long hours. Delivery guys were great. I left when i couldn't keep up lying to customers.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Bad management, merchandise was almost never available
Good pay structure and career advancement opportunity
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK22 September 2017
I have been working with this company for less than a year and they already have promoted me as an Assistant Manager that's right after I passed the probationary period. It is a company where they want you to be business minded in effect advancing your career since they are growing the company. Salary-wise they are good, you just have to put effort in growing the business then you will definitely get a good amount of salary plus percentage commission up to 9.5% of your total sale.

Absolutely a win win!!
Pros
Amazing prices for the customers easier to sell!
Cons
Need to relocate the store for more exposure!
Great work environment & awesome compensation benefit
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK22 September 2017
I've been working in Surplus Furniture for almost a year now and i get
paid more than enough so no need to get part time job. You just have
to invest your HARDWORK AND PASSION.
Pros
Full hours of work
Cons
You have to work even Holiday
you write your own paycheck
District Manager (Current Employee) –  moncton21 September 2017
if you like to sell and determine what you put into it will determine your paycheck, this is the spot for you. The store is open regular retail hours and majority of commission is earned on weekends.
they guarantee everybody a wage, you need to there to make commission. if you hit your target you will make more, and if the store succeeds you make even more..
Pros
lots of contests that includes trips and money, unlimited earning potential
Cons
they want you to come to work on time.
Uncapped earning potential
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 September 2017
A fun and upbeat environment where hard work is rewarded. There is no cap on your earnings, a great training program and all the tools you need to succeed. You get out what you put in! Individual and team incentives, benefits, and fantastic monthly and weekly bonus competitions with both vacation and cash prizes. An expanding company there is ample room to move up the chain as well. Overall, great place to work and a very positive environment!
Pros
Uncapped earning potentail and bonuses/great working environment
Fantastic Company!
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 September 2017
This is a Fantastic Company to work for, aggressive salaries, plenty of bonuses, easy going work environment and friendly atmosphere. The company encourages (and rewards) performance growth. For a big company, they have maintained a small business mentality, group lunches every Friday, flowers are sent to families that are grieving a loss, gifts are sent to families celebrating new arrivals, and flexible hours for appointments. There are no layers when it comes to management, everyone has an open door policy (even the president of the company). As stated, this is a fantastic company!
Pros
Aggressive Salary, Bonuses, Friendly Atmosphere, Easy Going Work Environment.
Sure Going To Miss This Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL21 September 2017
I loved my time with Surplus Furniture. The staff and management were absolutely amazing; there is no such thing as a bad day at work here.

The benefits involved with working with Surplus are fantastic. Employee benefits start after only three months, paid breaks included in your shift, and the employee discount is a pretty sweet bonus, too :) To top it all off, you are guaranteed a 40 hour work week, weekly pay, AND a chance at extra commission every single month!

The thing I love about this job is that no day is ever the same. You never know what customer is going to walk through the door and make your day.

I will be trying my hand at a new job opportunity in a few days, but I will still be up to visit all the close friend I made here at Surplus by continuing to be a customer.
Pros
Benefits, commission, fun place to work
Good company to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 September 2017
Just started working for this company and so far so good.
Loving the way the company is ran, the management and coworkers. I think the company is very motivating to help me do my best and that I will succeed with such a great company.
Pros
Flexible and great potential.
Great Place To Work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL21 September 2017
I love my job! The other employees are a pleasure to work with, and the customers are always a laugh. The hours are fantastic! Not many places can offer a 40 hour work week and have zero nights passed 8pm. The potential of the salary that can be made here is amazing, considering in my past 4 years with this company, I have made over $80,000 a year, and climbing!! It is a fun and fast paced environment to work in, if you're up for challenging and exciting adventures and not afraid of a hard days work, this is the place to work! The employee benefits and discounts are a pretty big bonus too.
Pros
Great Commission Potential and Employee Benefits
Excellent place to work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON20 September 2017
I absolutley love working at Surplus Furniture! My Manager and District Manager are great people to work for! The store is fast paced and busy! I had no sales experience when I was hired, My managers trained me and taught me everything I need to know about sales. Now 3 months later I am the Top Sales Person in the district! The company offers benifits and incentives for their employees! Highly Suggest Working here!
amazing job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 September 2017
working for surplus furniture was hands down 1 of the best experiences i have had, management is great. the product is great & there is tons of contests always going on to make extra money

if you want to make ALOT of money and have fun doing it, work at surplus furniture!!
Pros
no limit to how much money you can make
Cons
sometimes long hours
Amazing Staff Great Pay!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON20 September 2017
I have been with the Peterborough Surplus since its opened and I couldn't be happier! The staff are great and easy to get along with! We are one big happy family here! I am paid hourly and I receive a commission cheque at the end of the month!
Great Job and Money!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON20 September 2017
My time at Surplus Furniture was amazing! The energy inside the store made the work enviroment fun and enjoyable. I was paid hourly and had a commison cheque at the end of the month! Highly suggest working here!
Worst Employer Ever Experienced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON3 August 2017
Commission never made it to my bank account. The district manager was not a people person and was all about the mighty dollar. I was forced to travel across Ontario until my store opened. When my store opened, I was forced to do some training to "refresh" my abilities. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
None.
Cons
Never received the right amount of pay, Upper management is useless when you need them, Zero carpeting or relief for your feet standing on concrete floors for 12 hours, No air conditioning makes it extremely uncomfortable
Poor company to work for
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 July 2017
No safety awareness, too much work for minimum wage and no raises. You are expected to do what ever is asked of you regardless if it is your job or not.
got excellent training
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2017
become expert in inventory and organising.learned to prepare stocks and dealing with customers.kept the place clean and neat.loves to help customers and coworkers.
I currently work here
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 March 2017
I enjoy my job working here, I just need more hours as part time is not getting me very far right now. I enjoy working with the people around me. Positive environment to work in.
Pros
Get good benefits after 3 months, Discount is really good after 3 months
Cons
Not enough hours as I am only part time.
amazing opportunity
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON25 January 2017
great opportunity to make a career change into commision sales, with an incredibly thorough and successful sales program and intensive management from the president of the company down to the district and internal management, everyone is a strong team with the ability to easily attain set goals.
Pros
good commission structure
Cons
tight overheads meant a low quality work environment
Too little pay
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON17 January 2017
You are working for min wage and are expected to not only work every weekend but if a trailer comes in on your off day you are "expected" to come in and offload the trailer. It's your job to clean the entire place including the bathrooms, while the sales staff just stand around on their phones. If they started you at $12-13 it would be tolerable especially if the top end was at least $17-18 and not $14 an hour.
Pros
Manager was good
Cons
Zero out of work life, too little pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.