Sureway Construction Group of Companies

Sureway Construction Group of Companies Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Rough way to earn a Living
Grounds Person (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: Decent pay
Cons: Long Hours, Construction Worker culture
Wake up before dawn, in the colder months go home in darkness. It was a typical construction job. My coworkers were rough individuals and difficult to get along with. A lot of "tough-guy" attitudes, although sensitive to any rebuke.
I learned how to endure being outside in almost any condition. Worked outside in almost any weather, except for extremes like pouring rain, lightning and -40 cold.
I learned how to keep a consistent schedule of getting up at 5am and working all day, only to get home and do it all again. I learned a lot of safety protocols and the basics of operating equipment.
There were a lot of expectations of "get it done" and often projects with poor planning. Be halfway through a task, then have to restart because the instructions were wrong. Or given a task without being given proper instruction.
I figured out how to deal with judgmental, temperamental and all around difficult people. I can handle anyone now.
disorganizied
employee (Former Employee), ABJanuary 19, 2016
challenging, upper mgmt. doesn't buy in to safety. Culture is very old school.
they have safety just to be compliant.
no loyalty to the workers who care
good company to learn,
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 6, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hrs
planned out well days tasks,workers helpful.
good challenges of the day.
work task always rewarding, learned better ways to do the jobs with highest quality
Hard work with very little reward
Mechanic/Lube Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 3, 2015
Pros: overtime, 1 free lunch a month, good people
Cons: Long hours, "politics", favoritism over hard work
Worked 5 am to anywhere from 4 pm onward. all the way to 10 pm. We worked 14 on and 3 off, long hours. The pay was alright, but mostly due to the fact of the ludicrous hours/overtime you would accumulate. Boss was not a very well mannered/social boss that one would want in charge of a large group of people. Personal skills were not prominent.

Lots of backstabbing and elitist behavior when it came to the mechanics. If you "smelled' funny, you were shunned and eventually moved out of the shop.
Hard Work
Pipe Layers Helper (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2015
Pros: Sometimes free lunches, work outside, hard work, decent cash
Cons: mouthy workers, negative attitudes, when its wet it sucks!
This was a hard working enviorment that provided lots of room for growth, lots of quality workers that know the job inside and out, some of the foreman were a bit brash and disrespectful but all things considered i still went home with a smile on my face.
In my experience working for them i obtained lots of experience on different machinery including back hoes, and packers, i also gained experience with tools suck as jumping jacks, plate tampers, carb saws, sledge hammers.
fun day at work
pipe layer (Former Employee), edmonton cityMarch 4, 2015
Pros: 45min lunch
Cons: 12hours a day
Get instruction from Foreman and study the site in order to lay pipe and main hall
Monitors back fill of pipe bedding to ensure proper haunch support
Cutting grade and assure the biding grade it level and balance to lay pipes
Shoveling occurs, backfield, use jumping jack and plate tamper to finish dutie
it was an amzing experiance
Laborer equipment operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: wage
Cons: no outside life
learned a lot from older and experience workers
taught me how to work efficient and safe
always covered in mud grime by the end of the shift
if you didn't work, you didn't get dirty.
in town work
Earthworks Foreman (Current Employee), Edmonton ABJanuary 20, 2015
busy all summer but work life balance suffers. I would recommend for anyone wanting to get into the equip operating trade.
Great bunch of guys to work with and supervisors.
Equipment operator (Current Employee), Edmonton areaDecember 30, 2014
Pros: 11hr days
Cons: no work on rain days
Start at 7 am work till 6:30 pm with a half hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks. The work day goes by quick being fast paced always doing something. Learned how to operate 657 push/pull scraper, hm 400 rock truck, and started to learn on D6 dozer and excavator. Management is great and very understanding. Always enjoyed being around the co-workers. the best part of the job if you show that you want to learn they will try their best to teach you as much as they can.
very relaxed
Operator (Former Employee), Fort MacSeptember 25, 2014
Had a great time working with the people of Sureway. Id work there again if it wasn't so far away.
Good pay and good staff
Packer Operator (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: long hours
The best part of the day are the coworkers, we work well as a team,
The hardest part of the job is staying awake driving the packer
was an ok place
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 24, 2014
Pros: free safety lunch
Cons: long hours all week
was fine for the time and place in my life.cut grade loaded trucks built a railyard
Busy, respectful staff, monotony, understanding
Lube technician (Lube helper) and laborer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2014
Pros: understanding staff and management
Cons: monotony, long hours
I worked part-time as a lube technician for a short while. I believe my experience there would not reflect a typical lube technitian's day or experience. However, what I can say is work on the lube crew was busy, always changing and more challenging. The hours were long, but the staff was mostly great. As a full-time laborer, I start working at the shop at 6:00 am and spend the better part of my day sweeping, taking out garbage, and doing other various cleaning and maintenance tasks. I normally work 11 hours a day, five days a week. I learned the work ethic of a construction company. My experience with the management staff was mostly positive. For the most part they were very understanding and respectful, while staying professional and efficient. The hardest part of the job for me was the feeling of being insignificant and overlooked, the lack of a routine or process, the monotony, the long hours, and the lack of a challenge. What I did enjoy was the understanding and pro-active approach of Sureway and it's staff.
Disorganized
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Enbridge SET Project EdmontonMay 10, 2014
Very understaffed for the Enbridge project. Safety culture was not defined or communicated, program was not developed.
poor quality
heave eqipment operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2014
Pros: good enviroment amongst staff and very friendly crew to new commers
Cons: long hours& pooly maintained equipment& lack of communication between management and employees
this company has one major issue the foreman dont talk to the staff and other foreman enough so the big issue i found is the left hand didnt know what the right hand was doing. the equipment was not mantained to a standard of being pleseant for employees to use and they had major issues with expecting employees to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week wit out a day off at all during the season
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Bruderheim, ABMarch 31, 2014
Good company to work for, usually work 11 hour days at 6-7 days a week. Work day would go by fast because theres always something to do. Learned a lot about the industry and equipment from the foreman there. Very physically demanding work, hard on the body but very cool work.
Dynamic, allows me to grow and learn different skills, lots of opportunity
Heavy equipment operator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2014
Work 11 hr days, management is always reliable, big on safety in the industrial section, great bunch of people to work beside, especially when devoting long hours
A great place where you can learn
Heavy Machinery Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2014
I ha the chance to work with people who had 20 years of experiences . REAL PRO.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Full-time) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 11, 2013
horrid
operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
Horrible management foremans are clueless no advancement unless your liked, no one cares Poor atmosphère,Poor company Bad leadership no hours no job secruity