SUNWING AIRLINES Employee Reviews

Bad place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
Terrible culture. Family small business mentality with significant revenue and terrible employee support. Worst salary in the industry, higher expectations, long hours, zero employee recognition unless you are a "A.. kisser".
It is a travel and tourism company but employees have very to none travel benefits since the company do not provide any kind of support to its employees to enjoy their benefits. In fact the company constantly ban the employees from travelling and try to make money also with them.

They make the employees pays for absolutely everything including the xmas party. Literally as employee none pilot you are the last in the list for them.
Employment turn over rate in all front line and operational department are incredible high because they have the mentality that "if you don't like it, go somewhere else."

Good employees move somewhere or are fire because of many all fashions managers an VPs who has been there for too long follow the same concept squeezing everyone.

If you are a pilot things may be different, way different and we get the point, however it is vey frustrating to work here since they do not support absolutely anything unless they are make HUGE money. Personal development for employees such as training, course are absolutely out of questions.

Salaries increases, aren't even mentioned. Some departments do performance review but they make you clear that salary increases or any kind of incentive for improvements are not part of the review. You will get may be 1 or 2 % bases on Canada inflation rate and yes they still sent newsletter
  more... every year to all employees announcing that revenues soared as well as how profitable they have been.  less
Sunwing Airlines
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 September 2017
It was honestly my favourite job I have ever had
The people were friendly
typical day at work was organized and busy
management could use some improvement
Fun company to work for. Very respectful.
Cabin safety manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 August 2016
Ive been working for several years with this company and still feel as part of the "family".
They are open minded to our requests and work along with us for it.
Pros
Schedules
Stores person
Stores Person/ Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 August 2016
I was part of this airline for 4 years. I worked as stores person for 3 years and later became purchaser for the stores department.

i would say overall the airline is great. fun people certain departments but i would have to admit my experience with the stores department was not pleasant. great amount of unprofessional people, especially the management. they will say anything to you in front of anybody just to get the joke across and seem funny. the lack of training was the biggest issue with this dept. when they expected you to perform the best and training was never a part of your job to begin with. you made mistakes and you were picked on for it for the rest of your employment there. keep in mind most of the employees salaries are based on favourtism - there are individuals who have no education what so ever to be in the position they are and being paid what they are. company itself needs to re-evaluate their salaries and be fair to employees who actually deserves to be in their salary bracket. there are pros and cons however. i learned a lot in terms of dealing with high pressure between tasks in a limited time given and handled multiple important tasks yet never was appreciated for the good work.

the hours is brutal if your not a night person with 12 hours shift through the night. but 4 days off is golden also.

overall not the best place to work!
experience wise good - if staying for short time.
Pros
good experience
Cons
night shifts, lack of traning, favourtism
Seasonal Flight Attendant
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 July 2016
Most amazing job I have ever had. All my coworkers were fabulous it was simply an amazing experience and I miss it dearly. Do to a death in the family I had to abruptly resign. Hoping to be rehired next season out of YYZ. Fingers crossed....
Pros
Travel benefits, layovers down south and pay.
Best job ever!!!
Seasonal Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 May 2016
Hands down the best job that I have ever had. Such an amazing company and great group of people to work with. I defiantly will miss it.
In general it was fun working with Sunwing
Internship (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON28 April 2016
Most being given the opportunity to work with the best and learn from them. also being able to solve and helps people's problems.
Pros
Delivering customer service to people in need
Cons
Put in long hours
fun workplace
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2016
Working with Sunwing Airline was amazing, but contractor swissport and it's management did not play a good role. Because of management new hires have been quitting a lot. Management plays a very unprofessional role and don't know how to treat their employees. Too much of favouritism. Too much drama to handle.
fun workplace
Groomer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 January 2016
nice day at work
some mean people at work
supervisor very nice
i learned to be more responsible and gained many many skills
such as communication and team work
Pros
nice enviroment
Cons
Good place to get your feet wet in the industry from a large canadian airline but high-turn over rate
STORES KEEPER (Former Employee) –  TORONTO ONTARIO21 September 2015
DAY TO DAY TASKS:Receiving and Shipping of all materials;
Assist Inventory Control, Repair and Overhaul or any other area that requires additional help as required;
Pick-up and Deliver all materials as required;
Ensure all materials related to the aircraft are maintained in accordance with Transport Canada, CARS and Sunwing Airlines Inc’s company policies and procedures;
Complete inventory stock counts at various times throughout the year;All other duties as assigned by the Materials Manager

Learned to cover yourself in this industry and always keep learning through some type of educational system. Most people in this department had no form of aviation experience or schooling but had one of the highest position or salary.

Management is horrible, Co-workers you won't really get to know because the busy days/nights from doing a job that five people should be doing or the high turnover rate.

Most enjoyable part of the job is getting the materials needed to move aircraft and passengers from point A to B. Flight benefits were not to bad as well. You have a big effect towards the aircraft if urgent parts are not available in time!

End of the day this is not a place for long term career just to gain quick experience.
Pros
100% Medical/health benefits, Cheap flights
Cons
Favouritism, No rrsp matching, No work-life balance, Grumpy co-workers, Overworked, Turn-over rate is high
Fun Vacations Atmosphere
Passenger Care Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto2 September 2015
Great job & much opportunity to learn. Unfortunately compensation isn't always awarded to those who work hard. Great co-workers and management is nice.
Challenging position with lots to learn
Procurement Officer (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON30 August 2015
I was involved in mainly focused on dealing with various vendors throughout the day through emails and in person. Purchasing and Handling Aircraft's that required special attention in terms of providing the necessary parts to keep the aircraft fleet flowing. :Learned to be good team player and gained a lot of peoples confidence in building long term relationships and clientele. Our supervisors and managers were friendly and helpful always willing to jump in and help without judgement. Sometimes dealing with multiple tasks would become challenging due to overflow of imports/exports seasons. What I enjoyed most at work was working as a team and solving problems with limited time given.
Pros
worked 12 hours a day and due to busy work time flew by
Cons
over night shifts were difficult at times due to having family at home.
Sunwing Staff friendly
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2015
Staff at Sunwing are very friendly and helpful.

Autocratic work environment. Recent addition of Town Hall meetings is a move in the right direction.

Hi expectations for workers and low pay. Employee development programs would be a win win for both company and employee,

Management training would be helpful for consistency across departments. Higher EQ should be an expectation for these roles.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pay very low.
Great colleagues
Seasonal Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto21 July 2015
Hours can be crazy but that's what comes with uncontrollable wanderlust gene.
The training was very thorough and the trainers were very patient with all the trainees.
Met the loveliest people working here and will truly miss it.
Fun and challenging workplace
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 July 2015
Being a flight attendant for Sunwing Airlines has been the most rewarding job I have ever possessed. My colleagues are amazing, we all work as a team and they are a wonderful support system. There are many perks to working for an airline, however it is not as glamorous as it seems. This job is extremely challenging as you are expected to be courteous and friendly and authoritative all at the same time. This job teaches you how to deal with different personalities, cultures and upbringings.
Productive and fun place to work.
Crew Travel Coordinator. (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON.11 June 2015
Do Hotel/Flight and Ground transportation reconfirmation.
How to solve/find solutions on winter time, when flights get diverted and need to find accommodations to crew.
Excellent team player.
Pros
0130Hrs lunch.
Cons
12Hrs shift.
Exciting and rewarding experience
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2015
Daily I created marketing strategies, mixed up new cocktails, and served in a 5 star atmosphere. I learned a lot about myself in this position and how to present myself to guests wether it be a night out for dinner with friends or it be a wedding celebration. My colleagues were all so welcoming and fun to work with. We laughed all the time, but also focused as a team to provide exceptional service when it was crunch time. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to the new atmosphere and providing impeccable wine service. But the most enjoyable were the experiences I was able to be part of such as bartending at weddings, growing into new potential, and learning more about the hospitality industry.
Great Company..!!!
Travel Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2015
Great hours you can mange your own schedule.
Fun working environment
Co-workers are great
Lot of innovation required
Goof opportunities to learn
Pros
Good travel benefits
Flight Attendant
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto8 May 2015
Great customer service experiences, able to learn about new places and destinations. Interactive, team-worker, able to work as a group to provide a positive work atmosphere and to make every flight as safe and pleasant as possible.
Gotta love the Lifestyle
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 April 2015
Sunwing airlines is my second airline. Because of the union, the schedules are pretty fair and the work life balance is fine if you know how to ask for the shifts you want (bid). That being said, they are very strict with their uniform policies and On Time Performance (one minute late and you get a formal written report). They are strict but that is why they are one of the best airlines in Canada.

The pay is competitive but health/dental benefits don't kick in until after 6 months. My season ended two days before the 6 month mark so no one in my class got benefits. Their travel perks are great, you have to work probably 5 years as a seasonal employee before you can be year round depending on which base you're at.

It is possible to work a second part time job while working for Sunwing, there is a lot of time off and a lot of opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNWING AIRLINES. Our community is ready to answer.