Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews

home like very friendly
lead care Manager, medication care Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 October 2016
Working with seniors can be challenging, but at the same time it is blessing because you can learn a lot from their life experience and their life history. we have an excellent management and hard working staff. the hardest part of the job is seeing people suffering. the most enjoyable part of my job is having fun with my co-workers and getting the job done right and on time.
Pros
reasonable price for lunch
Cons
pay a bit less
Wonderful community enviroment
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB26 September 2016
From the day I started to the Grand Opening and meeting residents as they moved in, I very much enjoyed the job.
A lot of growth and many changes throughout my time there until new management came in to make it more profitable.
Pros
Great relationships with staff and residents
Cons
Sometimes hard to leave my work at work.
Morning Lead Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 June 2016
Excellent place to work. Staff was great very supportive. Felt like a family. Always new the I had support from my Management team and was able to talk to them.
Pros
Excellent support from management team
Cons
Really early Mornings
Better environment
Social Service Worker - 2nd year Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 May 2016
Learned a lot. very friendly staffs. Welcoming environment for everyone. Sometime, found very challenging but staff members was always there to guide me step by step.
Pros
not available
Cons
not available
Productive and busy but fun workplace
Registered Care Aide (Current Employee) –  British Columbia4 May 2016
I work 8 hours 4x a week , I learned so many skills as care aide since I started 4 years ago. I have a good working relationship with co- workers, the hardest part when no one is replaced when there's sick calls but we manage and the fun part when residents participate in social activities.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Job security
fun
Night Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 April 2016
enjoyed working there as a support worker. the team work was great and the management was good. got to know the residents quite well and a lot of staff stayed at the job for a long time. it was fun working there though there was a lot of manual handling involved.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
a lot of manual handling involved
Fun Place to Work
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 April 2016
At Sunrise, we provide individualized senior care in a safe, nurturing, warm environment. Since the beginning, our mission has been clear: To champion the quality of life for all seniors. We believe in the power of today, and strive to provide opportunities for our residents to Live with Purpose each and every day.
Productive and fun workplace
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 April 2016
Working for Sunrise Senior Living was a very positive experience. My coworkers were very helpful and worked as a team to complete care. It was a very fast paced environment to work in, however, the clients, my coworkers and the management team were great.
Very nice environment
Physical and Mental Trainer (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON2 April 2016
Very nice environment, learn new things all the time, you will be busy all day, so many pets around you, seniors are very kind, very secure place.
Sunrise Village Nursing Home
Sunrise Village Nursing Home (Former Employee) –  High River, AB26 October 2015
It is a very fast paced environment where you are always thinking ahead. Your time management is very important. You are always learning, there is no such thing as a boring day because you never experience the exact same thing everyday. The management has done a very good job. It is a very difficult place to be in. It can be stressful but they are always there to put everyone's needs first as a priority. Coworkers you need to be able to work with as a team. You need to be understanding and respectful. Coworkers at sunrise were fun but focused. We learned how to work with eachother so we could benefit the residents and their families. We learned how to appreciate the bad days because you learn from them. At the end of the day the hardest part is saying goodbye. You never know what to expect at your next report. You need to be heavy hearted and mindful to what you expect the next day to be like. You enjoy getting to know the residents, their likes and dislikes, how to accommodate them in their lives. You learn privacy and information protection. You learn how to be a friend and a caregiver at the same time, and you learn your job is not always considered a job when you enjoy it. You develop a family and it really gives meaning to "do unto others as you would have done to yourself.".
It's a good place to expand your learning in health care. You work long hours but they go by fast when you keep yourself busy, which tends to be easy. Everyday is a new and exciting day that can be challenging but to appreciate it you need to enjoy the ups and downs.
Pros
It's a happy and rewarding enviroment
Cons
Can be stressful depending on the day, you expect those in Health Care
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto19 June 2015
Great place to work, great workplace environment, friendly staff and team oriented, excellent benefits unionized. there is a lack of advancement but overall is a excellent career opportunity
Disappointing
Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto21 May 2015
I worked in a Management position for this company. From the first day I walked in the door there were staffing cuts . This continued throughout the 6 months I was there. The services they advertised were slowly becoming non existant. You would walk into work and by the end of the shift someone would say, "hey I guess I will be seeing you around, my post has been made redundant"

I worked sometimes up to 14 hours willingly, just trying to catch up and bring things up to date. It was a never ending journey. At the end of it all I had injured the muscles in both my arms, I was burnt out , I literally sat on the couch to take my shoes off when I got home and woke up the next morning in the same position.

Decisions regarding cuts to services and staffing were mnade by people sitting in their comfy offices who just saw dollar signs.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Run by people who just see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Productive and good place to work
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 May 2015
My typical day of work is busy and I have to have manage well my time to accomplish my work load. I can count on my co-workers for assistance in transfers etc. The hardest part of my job is the waiting for assistance with my transfers, we need more people on floor. I enjoy to be with my residents and to listen to their stories and accomplishments
Pros
lots of hours to work
Cons
need more hands on
Fun workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC6 May 2015
A typical day at Sunrise Senior Living is joyous, the staff always works as a team, the management is always there for what ever needs I have. The hardest part of my job, is not being there long enough to help out more.
Productive, Fun & Eventful
PSW student/Casual (Current Employee) –  oshawa6 May 2015
I love working with my clients, I am very hard working and believe in building a strong rapport with them inorder to give them the best possible care. I love every single thing I do at work, and look forward to continuing that wherever I end up.
Pros
Quality time with clients, amazing staff & managment
Cons
n/a
Good job but a little tiring at times
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 March 2015
Good working environment, friendly staff, and flexible hours. Hardest part of the job is multitasking your responsibilities. The most enjoyable part is sitting and listening to the residents.
Sunrise is an Assisted Living community
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON24 February 2015
Assist client with activities of daily living including but not limited to light house keeping, bathing, grooming, dressing, feeding, ambulation and range of motion.

I learned that I truly enjoy in working with the aged. Ensuring a positive and safe environment in which there individuality, needs, and wants are meet and respected.

Management was nice, professional, and friendly.

The hardest part of the job was when an individual passed away.

The most rewarding part of the job was spending time with each individual learning their story.
Pros
great facility
Cons
was not there long
Productive with valuable experience to take care and think about the feelings of people with dementia
Activity and Volunteer Coordinator Co-op, (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2014
My typical day started with planning activities either in group or one to one to enhance the physical, mental and spiritual well being of seniors.Assisted other staff members aiming common goal that is quality life for seniors. I learned about taking initiative for engaging residents in something that makes them feel productive and also I learned to deal with patients of dementia through training sessions and experience in reminiscence. I found the most challenging part of this job is engaging residents in group activities so, I tried different activities with other co-workers and encourage residents to participate. Most enjoyable part of this job is unforgettable memories by sharing experiences of life with various person.
Pros
Continuous learning
Cons
Sometimes too emotional
Sunrise assisted living
Care management team (co-op placement) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 November 2014
My experience i gained from this company was unbelievable. I witnessed the ups and downs of this field and i must say, its very rewarding. This business is very professional, yet very personal. They go above and beyond to make their residents feel at home as much as possible.
not what I expected
Student PSW (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 October 2014
they promised you a lot and did not fully advertise what you were getting into would not recommend them to anyone
Pros
Cons
not as advertised