As one of Canada’s fastest growing food manufactures we are in search of a dynamic individual to fill a unique position within our Research & Development Team. This role will appeal to a progressive individual in search of a career with a well-established organization.
Sunrise Farms is one of Canada’s top 25 food processing companies with plants all across the country including BC, AB, MB, ON and more than 1500 employees Canada-wide. Sunrise Poultry Processors Ltd., located in Surrey, B.C., is a state-of-the-art primary processing plant producing fresh and frozen poultry products for major retailers in BC and AB and is a recognized leader is GFSI food safety and quality.
As a team member at Sunrise Farms you always aim to operate with an entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, a sense of urgency and “drive forward” tactics. You make it your business to understand your internal and external Business Partners capabilities, challenges, immediate goals and vision to align yourself and Sunrise Farms as the first choice for product solutions.
The Research & Development Assistant is responsible for assisting with the design, development, and implementation of new formulation processes and production runs for retail markets. You are to develop, improve, maintain and update current formulations, raw material, quality specifications, Ingredient Declarations and Nutritional Panels to ensure compliance with all related CFIA regulations as well as HACCP standards. The position also demands a large amount of decision making in which there is a high degree of interaction with other departments.
- Customer Focus
- Energy & Stress
- Problem Solving
- Adaptability/ Flexibility
- Result Focus
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Ethics and Integrity
- Accountability and Dependability
- Team Work
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides assistance, design and develop relevant and new prototypes throughout the development process using consumer insight expertise.
- Exercises a considerable amount of judgment, responsibility and initiative in determining work procedures and methods. Coordinating the work flow.
- Works within well defied guidelines and procedures. Establishing priorities and carrying tasks through to completion. New or unusual problem are referred to Management.
- Perform test and experiments, related to the production of new products, provides technical support, Assist in area such as research, production, QC, in any research related manner.
- Responsible for Supporting Research & Development functions as they relate as well as provides general assistance as business needs dictate
- Design and implement shelf-life studies as well as analytical and sensory testing to ensure food products are maintained. Interpret results and recommend action plans based on data.
- Recommend, create and assemble pilot processes based on product design specification. Document experiments and determine/validate process parameters for the manufacture of a wide range of protein products.
- Organize sample preparation, Sample request to insure top quality products our delivered to Sunrise Farm customers.
- Ensure all sample products are identified, sealed, packaged as per company standards.
- Assuring procedures are flowed.
- Ensure sample request are accurately completed.
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills as you will be working collaboratively with internal and external teams to achieve Fantastic results.
- PASSION for food innovation.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to take up additional duties and switch Responsibilities depending on work flow.
- Well organized, proactive thinking.
- Present technical understanding in both written and presentation formats of food science/engineering and the supporting sub-process for the manufacture of food systems.
- Document, organize and summarize project results through verbal and written communications
- Nutritional Label Development – This will be a primary responsibility of the R&D Technologist. Responsibilities include:
o Keeping and updating Database and Software system.
o Adding new ingredient information and ingredient changes as soon as they are approved.
o Continuing to populate database with new food additives and allergen ingredients as they become mainstream.
o Maintaining database to ensure that there are no double entries and discard any discontinued ingredients.
o Regulatory Affairs – As the technical liaison between R&D and QA (Quality Assurance) it is critical that this position become the company expert on all CFIA regulations. This includes but is not limited to: Standards of Identity, Package Labeling Regulations (current and upcoming), and Nutritional Labeling and Claims.
o New Ingredient/Vendor Technical Approvals.
o Procure technical documentation from vendors (Ingredient Specifications, Ingredient Breakdown, Pack Size Options, etc.) for R&D evaluation of new ingredient performance.
o Procure technical documentation for approved new ingredients (Physical / Chemical / Microbiological Standards, Shelf-life, etc.) for QA evaluation and update of the HACCP Plan.
o Minimum order size and preliminary cost.
o Plant inspections, as needed.
o Product/Project Management – R&D will be primarily responsible for managing projects, this position will take on projects as available technical resources and project load dictates.
o SOP Development & Maintenance – Work with each project manager who is either developing a new product or making product changes to ensure timely, accurate, and complete data entry into the SOP. Additionally, the R&D Technologist will continually work to upgrade this document to ensure that it meets all customer requirements in a user-friendly format.
- Possess a Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, microbiology, engineering or a combination of a post secondary diploma in food related discipline together with 3-5 years of experience in the food related environment.
- At least 2 years previous experience in a research and development facility is preferred.
- Fluent in English - both verbal and written.
- Be success driven and have a "can do" attitude.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs (Excel, Word, Powerpoint).
- Ability to take measurements and conduct product formulation.
- Must be detail oriented, have good problem solving skills, results driven, self motivated, works well under pressure and able to maintain record and prepare clear as well as concise reports.
- Thorough understanding of safety and quality in the workplace.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
- Generous compensation package commensurate with education, training and experience.
- Work for a premier Company with progressive growth Strategy.
- Excellent opportunity for personal and professional development.
- Secure work environment.
To find out more how you can be a part of this dynamic team, please send in your resume and cover letter.
Indeed - 14 months ago