The Early Childhood Educator collaborates closely with all other members of the program team to provide nurturing care and education to young children in a group setting, under the supervision of the Centre Director/Supervisor; in accordance with the goals and curriculum plans of the centre and the philosophy and policies of the agency and in compliance with the Day Nurseries Act.
Some of the responsibilities (but not limited to) may include:
- Responsible for the constant supervision, safety and well being of the children
- Recognizes and responds to the needs of each child by using developmentally appropriate teaching and child behaviour management techniques
- Shares in the responsibility for planning, preparing and implementing stimulating, age-appropriate activities that encourage children’s creativity and learning and promote each child’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical development
- Participates fully and consistently as a conscientious team member in caring for the children and in the overall operation of the program and centre; maintains regular and open communication with program team members and all other co-workers
- Establishes and maintains regular communication with parents
- Ensures the program operates at all times in compliance with all child care licensing standards
- Must know and implement: Centre routines and practices; Day Nurseries Act regulations; the City of Ottawa Health Department guidelines.
- Observes and records relevant information on each child's progress as required/as per Centre practices
- Attends and participates actively in all program/centre, parental or other meetings as required
- Shares responsibility for maintaining program equipment in good repair; assists with toy/equipment disinfecting
- Shares responsibility for maintaining the play environments and storage areas in an organized and clutter-free condition
- Participates in regular fire drills and other emergency procedures
- Engages in positive collaboration with the other programs and early childhood educators of the centre in coordinating the effective use of equipment, facilities and personnel
- Participates in ongoing professional development and attends/maintains all mandatory training
- Participates in the supervision, training and mentoring of students and supply teachers
- Assists the Centre Director in maintaining a safe and healthy work environment by promptly reporting any existing and/or potential workplace hazards
- Performs other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Centre Director or her/his designate
Early Childhood Education diploma, Early Childhood Assistant diploma or provincially recognized equivalent.
Registered member of the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario.
Valid Standard First Aid and Level “C” CPR.
Negative criminal records check
TB test upon hire