Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Amazing workplace
Lead Conference Services Rep/Inbound Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2017
There are lots of learning opportunities , however it is a bit hard accessing them. The work/life balance is quite exceptional and evident. Keep up the good work!
Good Salary. Very physically demanding job
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2017
Assist Dr. & nurses with the care of patients. I learned care and compassion for those in need. I strived to do my best for each patient as I would hope someone would do for me if I were in need.
The hardest part of the job was that it was very physically demanding. I enjoyed seeing the smiles on patients face when I made a difference in their life.
Pros
good salary
Cons
very physically demanding
Member - Top 100 employers of Canada
member of Client Services support team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2017
- The day starts at 7 am, ensure all AV equipment on days needed are running fine, be available to answer helpdesk phones for clients at all times.
- learned a lot about networking, computer issues, customer service, working as a team.
- management listens to the needs of the call centre and we have a weekly meeting to discuss issues and challenges.
- workplace culture is good because Sunnybrook is an equal opportunity employer and protect against discrimination, and a non-smoking workplace.
- the hardest part of my job is to deal with Irate, irrational customers.
- the most enjoyable part of the job is looking forward for the day of retirement.
Pros
generous pension, company group benefits, paid days off
Cons
extremely busy days where one cannot even take a proper work break
Staff are very dedicated to the health and welfare of patients.
Executive Assistant to CFO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2017
Once in a lifetime type of opportunity. Amazing culture with focus on providing patients and their families with the best care possible. Beautiful facilities and very community focused.
Pros
Many opportunties
Cons
loved work with and at Sunnybrook
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2017
cutting edge agency to work with
progressive, and in tune with healthcare changes

works well with many partners and outside agencies

leader as base hospital for toronto paramedic services
Pros
leadership, cutting edge
Amazing place to work
Registered Nurse, Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2017
Great staff, very teamwork focused culture. Nursing and medical staff are very respectful of each other. Scheduling coordinator goes above and beyond to work with your personal schedule. Management approachable, professional and courteous. No complaints.
Off the Beaten Path
Administration (Former Employee) –  Bayview23 June 2017
For Medical Practitioners, it's a great place to work. For Administrative staff, not so much. The Union ties management's hands - the ones that care, anyway. The union seems to be more interested in collecting their dues, rather than asserting staff rights.

Full-timers treat the place like a Country Club. Many spend more time on personal phone calls, conducting social visits throughout the hospital, rather than completing their duties to the fullest. Management turns a blind eye to it, in fear the Union will step in and defend those full-timers because the full-timers are the only ones that they will defend - no matter what they do. Nursing staff and full-timers treat part-timers and casual staff like their own personal servants.

The actual duties themselves, aren't too bad. Some clear direction as to the expectations of the duties would be helpful but few seem to know what they are. Payroll and Staffing can be a giant headache. Too many hands in it. A lot of errors take place.

It's hard to access by TTC. Parking is outrageously priced, for staff and visitors, both. Traffic along Bayview is grueling. Alternative routes are just as plugged up. The pathways inside the Sunnybrook grounds are brutal, too.

They have a wonderful gift shop, at reasonable prices. Their grounds are beautiful, too.

Management fails to see who their stars are. They are more interested in filling staffing holes than they are in pairing talent with the position.

It's easy to get caught in the current of Sunnybrook and to have that strong current carry you away into directions unintended
  more... to go.

It's just not worth it.
Pros
The Acreage that the Bayview campus sits on is beautiful. Worth taking walks through.
Cons
Lower and middle management are spread too thin.
Very busy environment but you will learn a lot
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
-everyone is complaining about workload is too much for a single person which I agree.
-you learn to be patience and being humble
- supportive colleagues
-very busy environment
-the hardest part of the job is when you don't know how to slow down to match the others paces.
-it is great when each of us do our best to help each other
Pros
own locker
Cons
huge hospital, no break sometimes especially on the weekends
Productive and amazing place to work
Patients Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
It was a great experience to work with that great team and management. I also enjoyed been in contact with patients and staff from other departments whom needed our financial administrative services. I wish I could stayed.
Pros
Pot lucks celebrating holidays
Awesome place to work
Medical Dicta typist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2017
I learned a lot in my time at Sunnybrook. I met very interesting intelligent people and my job was very challenging. I really enjoyed working there and there was never a "typical" day at work because it was different every day...that's what I enjoyed most about it.
Pros
Different cases every day
Cons
good
Patient Helper (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
I really enjoy working there.
all the staffs are really nice.
I really love working there
the working environment was very calm
I got many new and interesting experience there
Pros
free snaks
Placement Site
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2017
I got to learned and experienced the essentials of being a Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician. Got to experience to interact with people from different walks of life.
Productive and lots of knowledge to learn
Secretary to Medical Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2017
This hospital and the department i worked with is such a good place to work with. Working here is very satisfying especially working with the other secretary and mostly the manager is awesome.
I would definitely work here again if given the chance.
Friendly Environment
Secretary to the Head of Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2017
Friendly, and also professional workplace. Room for professional growth within organization. Great events and benefits. Learning based type of function.
Worst and Military type managment.
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
Eve and First level support is like Military type managers who are not very technical but, speak like little kid lots of contractors and full timers I do not know how they keep them there but, they must have very strong network otherwise they violate a lot of human resource codes they should be servayed.
Pros
Lots of work so you will always have work and not get pored.
Cons
you have to deal with worst managers ever
Medical Software Developer and Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2017
Good place to work. Good place and learn a fair share while you're there. Salary is not ideal, but okay for beginning. Would recommend for recent grads.
Fun and rewarding
Hearing Instrument Specialist/Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2017
Meeting new clients everyday and building a relationship over a course of 7 weeks was really rewarding.
Had a great time working with the other hearing professionals.
a typical day at Sunnybrook
Intermediate Clerk (Current Employee) –  North York, ON26 October 2016
prepping charts for delivery for different clinics and doctors. sorting reports. getting charts from storage, pulling and bundling between 150 - 300 charts per day. Assisting patients and visitors with directions throughout hospital. working as a team with coworkers.
Pros
good coworkers
good place to work
Registered Nurse - Pre Admit Clinic (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2016
they encourage continuing education. Hospital has one of the larger trauma departments and a large cancer centre along with many specialty areas to work in.
Average, could be better could be worse
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2016
recognizable company, and there is a lot to learn, but it is a high pressure high stress environment. everything is a rush, and you always feel like youre about to get fired.