Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Creche daycare not somewhere you wanna be
cook at creche (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: working with everyone else and their lies and mice in the kitchen and no creativity for the cook
I use to be their cook but I left due to poor management, lack of communication, micro management, favouritism. If you feel the need to be around a building full of lying catty women who are always talking behind your back then this is the place for you by taking the position you will be watching kids starve cause the menu mainly consists of a diet for a sick person not a growing child who needs to experience New foods and be nourished so they can be open and able to learn for the day BEANS that's mostly the menu how many beans did you eat as a child next to none so not only are they waisting parents money but food as well. As the cook your menu is what the manager says it is mind you she has no culinary education and is withering away herself. Your job will never be secure and you will never feel at ease in this place. Just ask all of the staff there now always in fear of losing their jobs no loyalties on Management behalf She makes decisions based on her emotions you know how women are watch out!!
Not the best empoyer I've worked for. Felt that they were too internally focoused and not as sensitive to outside issues as they could have been.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, OnSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: contract position, fairly flexible hours.
Cons: no one was interseted in changing the system even when it was broken.
Meet with pm's and internal clients to discuss planning and corporate space requirements. Attend meetigns with consultants, contractors etc. Reviw rports, and contractural document with regards to comliance with schedules and costs.
What I learned: woring within this type of organization does not provide you with the autonomy or freedom to use the skills and abilities that you have to offer. It is very structure oriented and not subject to too much change from within.
Hardest part of the job was the inability to make a difference.
Most enjoyable part was the people I worked with and acted as mentor too. It was great to see them grow in ability and to move on.
Great company, great benefits
Library Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: gym, shuttle, health benefits, hoopp (pension)
Cons: traffic
I work in the medical library in the hospital. I take care of all interlibrary loan requests, as well as purchasing and cataloguing all print and e-books. My responsibilities in this position have gradually increased which has allowed me to hone my skills in cataloguing, for example.

In regards to Sunnybrook as an institution: it is a very large Toronto hospital and has a lot of great benefits for it's staff. Outside of the health benefits and pension plan (HOOPP) they also have a gym, a shuttle service to the other two campuses (downtown Toronto and North York). There is also numerous professional development options available to most staff regardless of position.
Good people, bad management
Registered Nurse, Full Time/Casual (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2013
Pros: worked with good people
Cons: no one listened to the nurses
I truly enjoyed my time at Sunnybrook. There were many opportunities to take advantage of. For the most part, I had no problems with my co-workers. I did have an issue with my manager and felt I had no option but to leave my position as this person made my work life miserable. My biggest complaint is this particular person forced many other staff members to leave. There were numerous complaints against her but she remains and many below her had felt the need to leave. She has ruined more than a handful of good nurses professional life including mine.
Collaboration in working with team members and across departments
4-month internship (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2013
Pros: work environment
Cons: location
The position I currently hold at Sunnybrook is self-directed, which allows me to utilize my independence and self-motivation strategies with confidence. My professional skills include administrative work, performing research, attending meetings and conferences as a member of the Smoking Cessation Team, organizing events, and introducing lung cancer patients with a history of smoking to partake in a study on their use of tobacco. Managing these projects requires proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook on a regular basis.
Productive workplace with many opportunities to succeed
General Accountant - Coop (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: celebrations for employee accomplishments, free lunches
-A typical day at work would be reconciling large sum bank accounts, using SAP and ensuring that cheques were uploaded into the system and reconciled with bank, attending to supervisor requests
-Using the SAP system and its various functions. Increasing proficiency in the use of Microsoft Applications
-Management was very humble and down to earth and really sought the best for employees
-Most enjoyable part of the job was learning new applications and having a great experience as well as the great coworkers
Not a place to work at. Poor management, misuse of resources, managers with no managerial skill, education or skills to run an efficient dept..
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 2, 2014
The most horrible place to work in with directors/managers/supervisors not having the qualification, education or skills to be running a department. If director/manager likes you and you are a "yes-man" then your job is secure. Staff can't give their opinions or ideas or else they get fired. Knowing this, HR or Union certainly does nothing to help this issue.
Micro management, No understanding about the department future.
Laboratory Tech (Current Employee), TorontoOctober 13, 2014
Pros: have a job
Cons: every thing else
Very poor and micro management. No clear goal/vision set by them, in fact they ask each employee this question in interview. Does not have any idea what are the new & latest technologies out there and how other are advancing. Looks like nobody cares. Needs new management for complete change, otherwise it will be takeover by someone else.

God bless Entire Laboratory future.....well wisher.
Not a great environment. Must be a "yes" person!
Administration (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: contemporaries are happy to help. great team work.
Cons: managers slide under the carpet. have big salaries but are non existent. let others do the work..
I worked in various departments. Everything is great if you keep saying "yes". Very poor management. Union is a joke and will not defend employees. Happy to take Union dues, but very weak in representation. Everyone is afraid to make waves, due to job security.
One of the best health care facilities in the GTA
Activity Aide (Current Employee), TorontoFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: very rewarding experience
Cons: not all patients are able to communicate or paticipate
My job role is to create mind stimulating experience for the war veterans who reside in the K and L wing of sunnybrook hospital. We host all kinds of different activities to involve the residents and make them feel at home. Working closely with the recreational therapist we assist in all activities.
Diversified culture ++ resources for patients and staff
Admin .Assistant - roles in surgical offices (Former Employee), Toronto, oNAugust 8, 2014
worked in various departments over a 10 year span and everything is about patient care and providing the optimal experience for the patient, their family and caregivers. Co-workers in all departments are supportive and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my role is working with the patient and seeing their successful outcome and knowing my participation made it easier!
Happy
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Interacting with patients and giving them anything they need. I have learned how it is in a work environment and how to talk to people in a good and happy way. The management is very good every is kind and caring. The hardest part of the job was to leave a patient who did not have family members around.The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to talk to people.
the most enjoyable part of the job
HVAC Tech. (Current Employee), toronto on.September 30, 2015
Pros: lots of over time
Cons: low pay
being in charge of your own sections of the hospital,
pride in your work,
you keep your systems in top condition and your clients happy and comfortable, is very rewarding,
report back to manager only when you have to hire out side contractors to do construction jobs
interact with other people, free food and drink
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: rain
I spent the day greeting the guests and serving them pizza, Juice, and snacks to anyone who showed up. Everyone is friendly to one another and very helpful. My supervisor is very kind and patient to the volunteers guiding them without getting frustrated at all.
Much experience with the verterans,all very good.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2012
Pros: lots of work +++ overtime 16hrs. shifts
Cons: had to work all the hollidays, short of staff, always..
Really liked Sunnybrook,miss it still today.Very diverse gave me a full scope exprience.I thrived at it.Started mds. and a few other things also.
Productive, lots to do
Senior Corporate Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: start late
Cons: long hours
Never a dull moment, lots to do and learn, advancement is tough. Great colleagues. Fun times. Lot of medical terms to learn. Great people. Would recommend.
Not a good place to work
Nursing (Former Employee), NursingJuly 10, 2013
Pros: independent
Cons: very bad and poor management.
I do not recommend. Bad management, poor working environment and no appreciation. Co-worker backstabbing and trying for climbing the latter do anything.
see below
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee), North York, ONJanuary 1, 2016
An excellent teaching hospital. Well kept grounds. Excellent in patient care. The Laboratory staff are patient care driven, very knowledgeable and meticulous in test sampling and Qc analysis and performance.
productive work place
Medical Office Clerk ( My Placement) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2013
Everyone works very hard.
Always concentrate on your job to avoid making mistakes and put patients at risk and inconvenience.
Fun, Good Hours, Managable
Nurse's Aide (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 3, 2015
Part of a co-op experience, but it was a fun, people were great, learnt a lot for universities and each day was a new experience -- it was great.