Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Overall, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre was a great place to work!
Supportive staff, wonderful management
Great training programs and work life opportunities
Pros
Valuable working experience, wonderful connections
Cons
Expensive parking, short breaks
Productive, lots to do
Senior Corporate Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Never a dull moment, lots to do and learn, advancement is tough. Great colleagues. Fun times. Lot of medical terms to learn. Great people. Would recommend.
Pros
start late
Bad management , not supportive
Project Coordinator, Quality Improvement Program (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Worked there for 4 years in a job a loved. Turns out the person doing the best job is the one who gets let go and the person doing a poor job, always late, poor communicator gets to keep theirs. Management wasnt supportive of concerns of a person with over 20 years experience over a inexperienced, younger person who always complains. Isnt it about getting the work done properly.
Underhanded HR department who makes these terrible choices without informing the direct supervisor of the workers. People left in a lurch. Makes the whole department look bad, concerned about quality of research data coming out of a World Class hospital!!!
Everyone left on edge for their jobs. I was proud to work there until this happened
Pros
gym. reasonable parking
Cons
traffic chaos at times, non supportive manager, underqualified managers
Going to Miss this place
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 31, 2016
I really enjoyed my time while working at Sunnybrook. My boss was amazing and it was great working with her because it was only two of us. The general environment at Sunnybrook is extremely clean and comfortable. Although it is a hospital it does not feel like a hospital, it is very warm and inviting, even for patients and visitors.
Divisional Manager - Division of General Surgery (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
A high paced enjoyable position and environment.
A large part of the position is education based and the other part is management based.
Pros
Flexible schedule and employer
Cons
N/A
Big experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2016
A lot of work, but invaluable experience on many aspects. A rare chance to gain experience with Physicists, Radiologists, as well as supervising students and intern. The non-ending work makes minimum number of hours way more than normal hours.
Average, could be better could be worse
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2016
recognizable company, and there is a lot to learn, but it is a high pressure high stress environment. everything is a rush, and you always feel like youre about to get fired.
co-workers are good.
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
I was hired by a third party company as a cleaner. I like my environment and my co-workers, the only thing that i was not happy about is the boss of our company. He's abusing people, over using his power towards us.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
the BOSS
Large Hospital
Emergency Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
Many employees, therefore you feel like a number. Experiencing same constraints as most hospitals due to government cut backs. Difficult to get time off due to high turnover rates and sick time.
Busy and great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 27, 2016
Excellent working environment.
A great place to learn new things.
The location is easy to access.
The co-workers were great.
great place to work
Staff Registered Nurse - Ross Tilley Burn Centre (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Sunnybrook is one of the leading hospitals in Toronto and the GTA, providing many health services. Benefits are good but not all on par with the Univeristy health network.
Pros
Large Hospital
Cons
Could be better with benefits
Fun to work with Colleagues
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with. The Principal Investigator was knowledgeable, courteous and kind. I love my work and was able to make personal connections with MS patients.
Efective, productive work enviroment
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2016
working for a busy orthopedic, medical unit, independent and reliable worker.
work effective under pressure and managed to achieve goals.
Strategically help team achieve daily goals.
Productive workplace.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Overall rating of hospitals I have had the opportunity to be affiliated with as well as coworkers was very enjoyable and a great learning experience.
see below
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 1, 2016
An excellent teaching hospital. Well kept grounds. Excellent in patient care. The Laboratory staff are patient care driven, very knowledgeable and meticulous in test sampling and Qc analysis and performance.
Not a great environment. Must be a "yes" person!
Administration (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 29, 2014
I worked in various departments. Everything is great if you keep saying "yes". Very poor management. Union is a joke and will not defend employees. Happy to take Union dues, but very weak in representation. Everyone is afraid to make waves, due to job security.
Pros
contemporaries are happy to help. great team work.
Cons
managers slide under the carpet. have big salaries but are non existent. let others do the work..
Great workplace
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
Sunnybrook Hospital is a great place with supportive senior management! The hospital respects diversity. Besides, health and safety policies are so strong.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Great company, great benefits
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2014
I work in the medical library in the hospital. I take care of all interlibrary loan requests, as well as purchasing and cataloguing all print and e-books. My responsibilities in this position have gradually increased which has allowed me to hone my skills in cataloguing, for example.

In regards to Sunnybrook as an institution: it is a very large Toronto hospital and has a lot of great benefits for it's staff. Outside of the health benefits and pension plan (HOOPP) they also have a gym, a shuttle service to the other two campuses (downtown Toronto and North York). There is also numerous professional development options available to most staff regardless of position.
Pros
gym, shuttle, health benefits, hoopp (pension)
Cons
traffic
Good people, bad management
Registered Nurse, Full Time/Casual (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2013
I truly enjoyed my time at Sunnybrook. There were many opportunities to take advantage of. For the most part, I had no problems with my co-workers. I did have an issue with my manager and felt I had no option but to leave my position as this person made my work life miserable. My biggest complaint is this particular person forced many other staff members to leave. There were numerous complaints against her but she remains and many below her had felt the need to leave. She has ruined more than a handful of good nurses professional life including mine.
Pros
worked with good people
Cons
no one listened to the nurses
the most enjoyable part of the job
HVAC Tech. (Current Employee) –  toronto on.September 30, 2015
being in charge of your own sections of the hospital,
pride in your work,
you keep your systems in top condition and your clients happy and comfortable, is very rewarding,
report back to manager only when you have to hire out side contractors to do construction jobs
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
low pay

2.8