Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews in Canada

Bad management , not supportive
Project Coordinator, Quality Improvement Program (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
Worked there for 4 years in a job a loved. Turns out the person doing the best job is the one who gets let go and the person doing a poor job, always late, poor communicator gets to keep theirs. Management wasnt supportive of concerns of a person with over 20 years experience over a inexperienced, younger person who always complains. Isnt it about getting the work done properly.
Underhanded HR department who makes these terrible choices without informing the direct supervisor of the workers. People left in a lurch. Makes the whole department look bad, concerned about quality of research data coming out of a World Class hospital!!!
Everyone left on edge for their jobs. I was proud to work there until this happened
Pros
gym. reasonable parking
Cons
traffic chaos at times, non supportive manager, underqualified managers
Great place to work!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
Overall, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre was a great place to work!
Supportive staff, wonderful management
Great training programs and work life opportunities
Pros
Valuable working experience, wonderful connections
Cons
Expensive parking, short breaks
co-workers are good.
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 13, 2016
I was hired by a third party company as a cleaner. I like my environment and my co-workers, the only thing that i was not happy about is the boss of our company. He's abusing people, over using his power towards us.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
the BOSS
Efective, productive work enviroment
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2016
working for a busy orthopedic, medical unit, independent and reliable worker.
work effective under pressure and managed to achieve goals.
Strategically help team achieve daily goals.
Fun to work with Colleagues
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with. The Principal Investigator was knowledgeable, courteous and kind. I love my work and was able to make personal connections with MS patients.
Divisional Manager - Division of General Surgery (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
A high paced enjoyable position and environment.
A large part of the position is education based and the other part is management based.
Pros
Flexible schedule and employer
Cons
N/A
great place to work
Staff Registered Nurse - Ross Tilley Burn Centre (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Sunnybrook is one of the leading hospitals in Toronto and the GTA, providing many health services. Benefits are good but not all on par with the Univeristy health network.
Pros
Large Hospital
Cons
Could be better with benefits
Productive workplace.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Overall rating of hospitals I have had the opportunity to be affiliated with as well as coworkers was very enjoyable and a great learning experience.
see below
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 1, 2016
An excellent teaching hospital. Well kept grounds. Excellent in patient care. The Laboratory staff are patient care driven, very knowledgeable and meticulous in test sampling and Qc analysis and performance.
Productive, lots to do
Senior Corporate Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Never a dull moment, lots to do and learn, advancement is tough. Great colleagues. Fun times. Lot of medical terms to learn. Great people. Would recommend.
Pros
start late
Cons
the most enjoyable part of the job
HVAC Tech. (Current Employee) –  toronto on.September 30, 2015
being in charge of your own sections of the hospital,
pride in your work,
you keep your systems in top condition and your clients happy and comfortable, is very rewarding,
report back to manager only when you have to hire out side contractors to do construction jobs
Pros
lots of over time
Cons
low pay
LTSW
Preceptored RN (Former Employee) –  toronto, onSeptember 21, 2015
Had an amazing experience working with Veterans at Sunnybrook. Learned much about their physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional health/illness.
Great workplace
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2015
Sunnybrook Hospital is a great place with supportive senior management! The hospital respects diversity. Besides, health and safety policies are so strong.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
One of the best health care facilities in the GTA
Activity Aide (Current Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 3, 2015
My job role is to create mind stimulating experience for the war veterans who reside in the K and L wing of sunnybrook hospital. We host all kinds of different activities to involve the residents and make them feel at home. Working closely with the recreational therapist we assist in all activities.
Pros
very rewarding experience
Cons
not all patients are able to communicate or paticipate
Happy
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Interacting with patients and giving them anything they need. I have learned how it is in a work environment and how to talk to people in a good and happy way. The management is very good every is kind and caring. The hardest part of the job was to leave a patient who did not have family members around.The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to talk to people.
Micro management, No understanding about the department future.
Laboratory Tech (Current Employee) –  TorontoOctober 13, 2014
Very poor and micro management. No clear goal/vision set by them, in fact they ask each employee this question in interview. Does not have any idea what are the new & latest technologies out there and how other are advancing. Looks like nobody cares. Needs new management for complete change, otherwise it will be takeover by someone else.

God bless Entire Laboratory future.....well wisher.
Pros
have a job
Cons
every thing else
Not a great environment. Must be a "yes" person!
Administration (Current Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 29, 2014
I worked in various departments. Everything is great if you keep saying "yes". Very poor management. Union is a joke and will not defend employees. Happy to take Union dues, but very weak in representation. Everyone is afraid to make waves, due to job security.
Pros
contemporaries are happy to help. great team work.
Cons
managers slide under the carpet. have big salaries but are non existent. let others do the work..
Diversified culture ++ resources for patients and staff
Admin .Assistant - roles in surgical offices (Former Employee) –  Toronto, oNAugust 8, 2014
worked in various departments over a 10 year span and everything is about patient care and providing the optimal experience for the patient, their family and caregivers. Co-workers in all departments are supportive and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my role is working with the patient and seeing their successful outcome and knowing my participation made it easier!
Not a place to work at. Poor management, misuse of resources, managers with no managerial skill, education or skills to run an efficient dept..
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 2, 2014
The most horrible place to work in with directors/managers/supervisors not having the qualification, education or skills to be running a department. If director/manager likes you and you are a "yes-man" then your job is secure. Staff can't give their opinions or ideas or else they get fired. Knowing this, HR or Union certainly does nothing to help this issue.
Great company, great benefits
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2014
I work in the medical library in the hospital. I take care of all interlibrary loan requests, as well as purchasing and cataloguing all print and e-books. My responsibilities in this position have gradually increased which has allowed me to hone my skills in cataloguing, for example.

In regards to Sunnybrook as an institution: it is a very large Toronto hospital and has a lot of great benefits for it's staff. Outside of the health benefits and pension plan (HOOPP) they also have a gym, a shuttle service to the other two campuses (downtown Toronto and North York). There is also numerous professional development options available to most staff regardless of position.
Pros
gym, shuttle, health benefits, hoopp (pension)
Cons
traffic