Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Happy
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Interacting with patients and giving them anything they need. I have learned how it is in a work environment and how to talk to people in a good and happy way. The management is very good every is kind and caring. The hardest part of the job was to leave a patient who did not have family members around.The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to talk to people.
Creche daycare not somewhere you wanna be
cook at creche (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: working with everyone else and their lies and mice in the kitchen and no creativity for the cook
I use to be their cook but I left due to poor management, lack of communication, micro management, favouritism. If you feel the need to be around a building full of lying catty women who are always talking behind your back then this is the place for you by taking the position you will be watching kids starve cause the menu mainly consists of a diet for a sick person not a growing child who needs to experience New foods and be nourished so they can be open and able to learn for the day BEANS that's mostly the menu how many beans did you eat as a child next to none so not only are they waisting parents money but food as well. As the cook your menu is what the manager says it is mind you she has no culinary education and is withering away herself. Your job will never be secure and you will never feel at ease in this place. Just ask all of the staff there now always in fear of losing their jobs no loyalties on Management behalf She makes decisions based on her emotions you know how women are watch out!!
Micro management, No understanding about the department future.
Laboratory Tech (Current Employee), TorontoOctober 13, 2014
Pros: have a job
Cons: every thing else
Very poor and micro management. No clear goal/vision set by them, in fact they ask each employee this question in interview. Does not have any idea what are the new & latest technologies out there and how other are advancing. Looks like nobody cares. Needs new management for complete change, otherwise it will be takeover by someone else.

God bless Entire Laboratory future.....well wisher.
Not a great environment. Must be a "yes" person!
Administration (Current Employee), TorontoSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: contemporaries are happy to help. great team work.
Cons: managers slide under the carpet. have big salaries but are non existent. let others do the work..
I worked in various departments. Everything is great if you keep saying "yes". Very poor management. Union is a joke and will not defend employees. Happy to take Union dues, but very weak in representation. Everyone is afraid to make waves, due to job security.
Diversified culture ++ resources for patients and staff
Admin .Assistant - roles in surgical offices (Former Employee), Toronto, oNAugust 8, 2014
worked in various departments over a 10 year span and everything is about patient care and providing the optimal experience for the patient, their family and caregivers. Co-workers in all departments are supportive and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my role is working with the patient and seeing their successful outcome and knowing my participation made it easier!
Not a place to work at. Poor management, misuse of resources, managers with no managerial skill, education or skills to run an efficient dept..
Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 2, 2014
The most horrible place to work in with directors/managers/supervisors not having the qualification, education or skills to be running a department. If director/manager likes you and you are a "yes-man" then your job is secure. Staff can't give their opinions or ideas or else they get fired. Knowing this, HR or Union certainly does nothing to help this issue.
No support from management
unknown (Former Employee), torontoJuly 25, 2014
Self-promoting coworkers, no support for employees.
Human resources: dishonest practices
Great company, great benefits
Library Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: gym, shuttle, health benefits, hoopp (pension)
Cons: traffic
I work in the medical library in the hospital. I take care of all interlibrary loan requests, as well as purchasing and cataloguing all print and e-books. My responsibilities in this position have gradually increased which has allowed me to hone my skills in cataloguing, for example.

In regards to Sunnybrook as an institution: it is a very large Toronto hospital and has a lot of great benefits for it's staff. Outside of the health benefits and pension plan (HOOPP) they also have a gym, a shuttle service to the other two campuses (downtown Toronto and North York). There is also numerous professional development options available to most staff regardless of position.
Sunnybrook
Porter (Former Employee), Toronto, OnJune 30, 2014
Poor management, no hours and seniority doesn't matter. The union doesn't help defent you either.
Best workplace
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 10, 2014
My practicum was at sunnybrook hospital. I love working there. It is a great place to work.
Poor management
research (Former Employee), torontoMay 15, 2014
This is one of worst management I ever experienced. I can not believe how can an organization run with such a poor management.
interact with other people, free food and drink
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: rain
I spent the day greeting the guests and serving them pizza, Juice, and snacks to anyone who showed up. Everyone is friendly to one another and very helpful. My supervisor is very kind and patient to the volunteers guiding them without getting frustrated at all.
Fun place to work
Practium (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 26, 2014
Pros: free lunches
I was very humbled to be allowed to volunteer at the Sunnybrook.
Management and staff was very helpful and supportive.
A typical day was very busy.
Medical Office Administrator
Medical Office Administrator (Former Employee), 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, OntJanuary 20, 2014
Very heavy workload. Outpatient clinics daily. Numerous medical transcription notes to GP. Poor management. Co-workers, pleasant and helpful at times. Getting notes out to GP was the hardest part, just one person to conduct a five doctor's clinic was hard. I enjoyed having to deal with the patients and always telling myself and the Dr's what a great job I am doing....that is very inspiring.
Productive workplace with many opportunities to succeed
General Accountant - Coop (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: celebrations for employee accomplishments, free lunches
-A typical day at work would be reconciling large sum bank accounts, using SAP and ensuring that cheques were uploaded into the system and reconciled with bank, attending to supervisor requests
-Using the SAP system and its various functions. Increasing proficiency in the use of Microsoft Applications
-Management was very humble and down to earth and really sought the best for employees
-Most enjoyable part of the job was learning new applications and having a great experience as well as the great coworkers
Project Management
Project Management Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 6, 2013
This was an interesting experience. Quite the opposite of what I expected. In many regards, I think an experience at this company makes one stronger.
Not a good place to work
Nursing (Former Employee), NursingJuly 10, 2013
Pros: independent
Cons: very bad and poor management.
I do not recommend. Bad management, poor working environment and no appreciation. Co-worker backstabbing and trying for climbing the latter do anything.
Very interesting work, but poor management
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee), Toronto, OnJune 6, 2013
Pros: interesting projects
Cons: poor management of resources
- Very interesting work
- Poor management of resources
- Poor quality control
Senior Billing Clerk (Former Employee), north york onMay 16, 2013
Great place to work, lovely people, enjoyed my time there. Would recommend it.
Collaboration in working with team members and across departments
4-month internship (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2013
Pros: work environment
Cons: location
The position I currently hold at Sunnybrook is self-directed, which allows me to utilize my independence and self-motivation strategies with confidence. My professional skills include administrative work, performing research, attending meetings and conferences as a member of the Smoking Cessation Team, organizing events, and introducing lung cancer patients with a history of smoking to partake in a study on their use of tobacco. Managing these projects requires proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook on a regular basis.

About Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, abbreviated SHSC and known simply as Sunnybrook, is an academic health sciences centre located – Read more