Suncor Employee Reviews

Productive, Secure environment
Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer (Reliability) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 November 2015
Good chance for upgrading our skills; challenging with sophisticated equipment.Huge company with varied equipment to work on
Pros
15 flexible days off in a year, near to home, bus transport
Cons
Long hours sometimes;Old facility is scary to work
Fun and good
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 February 2016
I started doing online training modules for power engineering. Co-workers were very respectful and kind. We worked as a team in the plant site. I maintained daily operations of equipment.
Great Place to Work
Process Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 January 2016
Excellent company ,providing lot of Benefits, excellent Salary, So many Safety Training. Lot of Learning, great Team work. Excellent career advancement.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Rotating shifs
Productive and fun wok place
Device & Integration Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississuga15 September 2015
Working at Sucor been a fun journey. I learned a lot about sustainability and reliability.
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
benefits are only for full time employes
Strong Team Work
Health & Safety Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2016
Worked daily with Sales Teams, Health and Safety Team, Administrative team and completed tasks assigned by upper management. Organized monthly conference calls and safety meetings.
Refinery Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2016
Suncor refinery operations is a great place to work. It is shift based 5 on 5 off schedule and the coworkers were exceptional. Being a union position job security is very high.
Pros
Coworkers
Process Operator / Safety Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 January 2016
A very culture oriented company to work for, very respectful of all employees and was very good at recognizing individuals and their teams for work well done,
Highly safety oriented culture with great opportunities for learning
Engineering Co-op - Maintenance & Reliability (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 August 2015
You get to learn a lot from people who have tons of experience in the industry. There is freedom to innovate better work processes if you put in the effort. An issue that came up was, due to the company's large size it is hard to maintain effective communication between different departments.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Higher management keeps changing
Awesome group of people to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2015
Management supports you and works hard to ensure that the department is functioning to its optimum.
A person is fully trained and knowledgeable from various aspects of the position they are hired for.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
Downsizing of many administrative positions
Suncor is most important company in Canada
Analyst Consultant Contractor (Current Employee) –  Firebag, AB2 August 2015
Our company offers a variety of career paths for operations, technical, professional and leadership streams. The Career Compass is a tool that gives insight into careers at Suncor and the different ways people can move into a new position or stay in their current role for a satisfying career.

Within the career tool, there are many resources that help identify potential career paths. It also shows how others have navigated their careers at Suncor and gives a standard way to talk about career and development.

The Career Compass, along with other resources in our development toolkit, supports our ability to retain and engage people to meet our business needs
great place to learn and work
Co-Op Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 September 2015
> very knowledgable senior staff
> large and powerful equipment always keeps you on your toes
> flexible work environment with plenty of time off
> fly in/ fly out much safer than driving highway 63
> great camp to live in with lots to do after work hours
> good food, clean rooms
> great operating team toward with and learn from
not the best place to work
Logistics Coordinator/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 December 2015
very stressful, lots of forced overtime, in my department, extremely bad management, and anyone who complained has been laid off in Supply Chain. My co-workers were awesome and very helpful
Very good company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 January 2016
This company provides its interns with full responsibility to take control of their projects. Gives a lot of opportunity to grow technically and inter personally.
Productive and fun place to work
Process Engineer, EIT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2015
Productive and fun place to work. Good place to start your career as it has effective mentoring program in place.
•a typical day at work: good
•what you learned: Engineering
•management: Good
•your co-workers: just like family
•the hardest part of the job: Nothing is hard
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Team Work
Pros
Mentoring Program
Cons
Not as such
working at suncor, not fun
Condition Monitoring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 November 2015
as mentioned above won't tell you much about the organization.
They're laying off people like never before.
But yeah suncor got COS shareholders that could be a big whopper.
Pros
strong management
Cons
no life
moderate ratings
Customer/Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton26 September 2015
The company is very well managed but when it comes to stations whose management is given to franchisee that I worked for is not satisfactory because it always tends to maximise their respective profit. I work for their distribution of their petro products or gas stations.
Great place to work.
Well Site Supervisor Suncor Canada Oil Sands (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 December 2015
Very safety oriented. Great team leaders. Very organized when it comes to everyone being on the same page. Very few bad examples.
Suncor is a positive and challenging work environment.
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton26 June 2015
I have learned a great deal working at Suncor and have kept up with many challenges in my role as a Senior Contract Administrator. A typical day at work is dealing with many Clients and Stakeholders. Expediting requirements for contracts and making sure everyone is getting what they need from Contractors and Vendors. I work with a great team and enjoy being part of a team that works well together. The hardest part of my job is trying to push people to provide what I need to do my job and the most enjoyable part of my job is when a contract is executed and I know I have done my job well.
I loved everything about working at Suncor Energy.
Analyst/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC16 July 2015
A typical day at work would start off by checking and replying to e-mails and phone messages. Going over my agenda on what needed to be done that day. I would do inventory reconciliations, journal entries, and month end balancing, etc. Everyone at Suncor was great management and co-workers were very easy to get a lot with.
Great people, good work culture but there is fair bit of red tape in upper management. Too bad the dip in oil prices squeezed out a lot of good folks
In Asset Management (Former Employee) –  Oakville9 June 2015
The people and job culture is excellent. But there are a lot of redundant roles doing the same job. So middle management ends up micro-managing.
Pros
Exposure to a lot of work, Learning opportunities, Great work colleagues, Good benefits
Cons
Like to do things internally, do not like to hire external consultants for expert advice.

4.2