Suncor Employee Reviews

Awesome group of people to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2015
Management supports you and works hard to ensure that the department is functioning to its optimum.
A person is fully trained and knowledgeable from various aspects of the position they are hired for.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
Downsizing of many administrative positions
A good place to be
Assistant to Site Director / ILP Coordinator (SAP) (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills project7 October 2015
Suncor is a great company to work for. Management is fair and co-workers are generally happy.

Pros
Pays well - (somewhat) flexible manager
Cons
work life balance was tilted
Good Company
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort Mcmurray5 October 2015
Good Benefits but lack of direction and clarity of communication. Top management is often confused. Some times too soft on employees
I enjoy what I do
skilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 October 2015
I enjoy the work I have accomplished and efford it took. I believe in in this matfor of.....honest day work for honest day pay
Pros
Think safety be safe
Cons
Dislike winers
Fast paced,safety oriented, fun, rewarding
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 October 2015
Loved my job because of the variety and good people to work with.

Daily work was involved with reviewing and releasing PM Work Orders. Then reviewing approved to plan Notifications and start planning them based on priority and urgency. Review of spare parts required and perhaps external services required as well.

I learned a lot about the newest format of SAP and many new opportunities to streamline the SAP Process. I was involved with the cross department meetings in order to find roadblocks or bottlenecks to work through those issues to a positive solution.

Management was a revolving door and that was my most frustrating part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting things done with the right people, with the right parts at the right time; with minimal re-planning at the point of Execution - by attaching drawings, P&ID's Procedures and OEM information
Pros
Lots of training, good wages, empowered, teamwork
Cons
politics, changing management
Fast Past
Planner (Current Employee) –  Ft.McMurray, AB30 September 2015
Typical day, involves morning safety moment followed by round table discussion. Then into the work load addressing different challenges and finding solutions.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
not much room for advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Mine Engineer Student, Long Range Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
Great on-boarding process. Supervisors and Managers are great leaders and innovators. Very productive mine with great safety culture. Too bad oil prices are down.
Pros
Safety culture
Cons
Job security
moderate ratings
Customer/Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton26 September 2015
The company is very well managed but when it comes to stations whose management is given to franchisee that I worked for is not satisfactory because it always tends to maximise their respective profit. I work for their distribution of their petro products or gas stations.
Productive and fun place to work at
Lab Assistant (Summer Intern) (Former Employee) –  Port Moody22 September 2015
It's an excellent place for anyone to kick start his/her career in the oil and gas industry. It offers a lot of learning opportunities.
Excellent place to work at
Automation Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 September 2015
As a co-op student I was treated like a full time worker. There is a huge emphasis on process and workplace safety. A lot of resources go into development and training. Extremely interesting and rewarding.
Good company
Mechanical Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2015
Good company to work for. Learnt a lot about field engineering during my co-op work term. Jobs are a bit unstable due to low oil price.
hard
Laborer (Former Employee) –  fort mac17 September 2015
had to work outdoors alot, great co-workers, boss was pretty laid back, hard working team. Must have a winning attitude and network to get far in this industry.
Pros
pay
Cons
environment
Productive and fun wok place
Device & Integration Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississuga15 September 2015
Working at Sucor been a fun journey. I learned a lot about sustainability and reliability.
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
benefits are only for full time employes
Excellent working environment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 September 2015
I worked for Suncor for 28 years. Great job security and room for advancement. Salary and benefits were excellent. Training and education were always available.
Pros
Great salary and benefits.
Cons
great place to learn and work
Co-Op Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 September 2015
> very knowledgable senior staff
> large and powerful equipment always keeps you on your toes
> flexible work environment with plenty of time off
> fly in/ fly out much safer than driving highway 63
> great camp to live in with lots to do after work hours
> good food, clean rooms
> great operating team toward with and learn from
Good
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga31 August 2015
- Growing environment with trainings all along the work;
- Strict work conduct code with company to internal and external customers;
- Safety emphasis with responsibility to the environment.
Pros
Free bevarage
Productive and fun place to work
Process Engineer, EIT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2015
Productive and fun place to work. Good place to start your career as it has effective mentoring program in place.
•a typical day at work: good
•what you learned: Engineering
•management: Good
•your co-workers: just like family
•the hardest part of the job: Nothing is hard
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Team Work
Pros
Mentoring Program
Cons
Not as such
Highly safety oriented culture with great opportunities for learning
Engineering Co-op - Maintenance & Reliability (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL13 August 2015
You get to learn a lot from people who have tons of experience in the industry. There is freedom to innovate better work processes if you put in the effort. An issue that came up was, due to the company's large size it is hard to maintain effective communication between different departments.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Higher management keeps changing
Consulting here
Workstation Software Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2015
A good company to work overall, but there was a definite separation between employees and contractors. Outsourcing to IBM left contractors with no offers, so we all had to find our new positions on our own.
Culture and dynamics
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2015
Dealt with many different people on a day to day basis, can be fast-paced and impossible deadlines from the internal customers.
Pros
Great pay, medical and dental coverage and savings program.
Cons
Lack of communication on many levels

4.2