Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

playable place to work
ETL Tester (Retail Pricing Analyst Role) (Former Employee) –  TorontoJune 12, 2015
Every day will be good start at this company, learnt so much information. my co-workers are also pretty helpful, the experience was awesome.
Great people, good work culture but there is fair bit of red tape in upper management. Too bad the dip in oil prices squeezed out a lot of good folks
In Asset Management (Former Employee) –  OakvilleJune 9, 2015
The people and job culture is excellent. But there are a lot of redundant roles doing the same job. So middle management ends up micro-managing.
Pros
Exposure to a lot of work, Learning opportunities, Great work colleagues, Good benefits
Cons
Like to do things internally, do not like to hire external consultants for expert advice.
Great experience good people and room for advancement
Lead Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montreal-est, QCMay 27, 2015
1-A typical day at the office with Suncor would consist of meetings with our construction team in preparation for our coordinators to paticipate in the safety tool box meetings with Contractors.

2-During my 5 years with Suncor. I learned that Safety was not just a lip service but that safety was a culture, and this was encouraged to the Contractors on a daily basis.

3-Management were supportive in managing the field work on a daily basis.

4- Our daily office coordination brainstorming meetings would open the door for our co-workers to participate in the success of the project.

5- I found the Hardest part of the job when we would be in the execution phase and were not part writing the poorly defined scope,schedule,or budget and have to correct through the change management process.

6- I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be working with people, I enjoyed the success that we shared when we all worked the processes together and learned from each other the best practices.
Pros
Great experiences
Excellent work culture
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMay 14, 2015
Excellent culture! I enjoyed working at Suncor Energy. The culture is very professional and diverse with good work ethics.
Excellent company to work for
Integration Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMay 5, 2015
Working for Petro-Canada and then later for Suncor when the companies merged was a very positive experience.

I held many different positions over the 9+ years as an employee and also 6 years prior as a contractor.

My final role was spent as a member of an Integration team for Suncor's In Situ Business Unit. This opportunity allowed me to manage, coordinate and contribute to a variety of projects.
Pros
Interesting and challenging work, good leadership and support
Cons
Job uncertainty with declining markets, increasing job complexity and increased responsibility
Productive and Fun Place
Network Specialist (CANADA) (Current Employee) –  Missassauga, OntarioMay 4, 2015
Its a one of the best organization to work with. The environment is very friendly. Staff is helping and mostly the people are friendly and easy going in the organization
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.
Pros
big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons
New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Suncor is good employer
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2015
Suncor has a very large IT shop and is among the best companies to work for.
its IT operations are outsourced and current IT management is looking into to consolidate the IT environment at the same time is going towards complete outsourced model.
Pros
good work envorinment
Cons
high layoff percentage
excellent work/life balance with little job security or advancement
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Suncor is a wealthy company due to it vast oil resources. Its management style is not matching its pace required for its further development. Senior management tends to use various systems to manage this monster organization. That caused lower work efficiency and less human interaction. The senior management doesn't really know what is going on with the working level.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
complex relationship
Fantastic work environment with friendly co-workers.
Assistant to EVP of Major Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaApril 21, 2015
A great place to work where I was constantly learning about the industry. There was plenty of room for personal achievement as well as professional achievement. The co-workers were fantastic to work with and management genuinely cared about your personal well being.
Challenging
Process Safety Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2015
a good and fruitful experience working in different conditions at site. With different assignments and tasks everyday, walking down at the plant is quite a challenge specially on complex areas such as boiler house and utility lines.
Enjoyed working at Suncor at Calgary office in SCM
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
A typical day to day work - includes new work challenges, excitement, work life balance, experienced, collaborative and supportive team members exists in foundation level in all SCM groups.

Learnt - I have learned many new things working with major O&G companies, gained lot of confidence and have clear goals on my work and career path. I am coming out of this Company with lot of knowledge that might open door in some other company in future.

Management - Suncor needs to really work on selecting Team Leaders, Managers and Directors. This is due to the fact Team Leader and Managers do not know how to make wise decisions in any downturns. As everyone know work comes out at foundation level in any organization. If Suncor had a good Team Leaders/ Manager they could have picked individuals who are Loyal to the Company, experienced, can give better Turn around, cost efficient and can fix any kind of situations.

It is petty to say that an individual, who are Ex employees with Team Leader/ managers, near and dear hangout with Managers can have job security. Decisions are not based on how many years individual worked, his/her experience, education, individual is shown exceptional in all one-one meetings and given unbelievable work turn arounds.

Hardest part of the job - Suncor made several changes (5-6 changes) in SCM in past 7 years (Petro Canada/Suncor). Any simple change in the organisation will effect foundation workers at high by the time worker gets adjusted a new changes is on the way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is work life balance I started my day at
  more... 7:00 and finished by 4:00, there are lot of internal competitions, prizes etc...  less
Pros
Several as mentioned above
Cons
Several as mentioned above
an industry and company which will reflect the price of oil
Data Protection Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
good experience to learn about procedures and processes - the hiring and firing is done pretty fast. I am just wondering where all the money out of years of high oil price is gone
Pros
forefront of technology
Cons
procedures and processes
Excellent place to work
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 24, 2015
Numerous chances to grow, constant challenging environment which enhance the ability to multitask and work under deadlines.
Pros
Health and Dental benefits, days off
Cons
working lunches
WAS A VERY GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT 10 YRS AGO
Unit leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 19, 2015
THE WAY EMPLOYEES ARE TREATED HAVE DETERATED OVERTHE YEARS. WORKERS NOT RESPECTED AS THEY WERE YEARS AGO.ITS SEEMSTHAT PRODUCTIVITY TAKES PRIORITYOVER EMPLOYEES
A worthwhile experience working with people at the company.
Sr. Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Ft. Hill, Ft. Mcmurray, AlbertaMarch 15, 2015
A worthwhile experience working with people at the company. The project is huge and lot of experience will be developed.
Suncor: Very good place to work
Turnaround Mechanical Engineer in Training (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 13, 2015
I worked at Suncor as an intern and I had the best time of my life during this one year. The experience was great. Accommodation was provided by the company. There were many young interns and new graduates in the company with weekly events happening at Suncor accommodation.

I had a very good manager and provided excellent mentoring. My mistake was to turn down their offer to hire me as an EIT after graduation. I highly advise joining their new grad or intern programs.
Pros
excellent salary package, good experience, good employees
Cons
cold in fort mcmurray
Dynamic workplace
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgaryMarch 13, 2015
Workplace is pretty unstable and unsettling.
Communication from the higher management is bad.
Workplace has good intelligent people
Pros
good people
Cons
unstable
Nice atmosphere
Drilling supervisor/Logistic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2015
Oversee day to day drilling activity including construction and safety.
Review all permits prior to day to day activities.
Pros
on site supervisor (consultants) used experience to train new workers.
Cons
delays with dissensions making from calgary.
Culture is one which supports out of the box thinking
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Firebag site, Fort McMurray, AlbertaMarch 10, 2015
Work days are dependent on shifts allotted.
Great place to practice what has been learned over time. People are good at supporting.