Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun place to work at
Lab Assistant (Summer Intern) (Former Employee) –  Port MoodySeptember 22, 2015
It's an excellent place for anyone to kick start his/her career in the oil and gas industry. It offers a lot of learning opportunities.
great environment to work in
Bilingual Biofuels Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Great people, open minded management, just an overall great place to work
benefits
Cons
none that i have come across
Suncor
Operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Suncor is great company to work for. The benefits are in line with all other oil companies and the work atmosphere at the plant i work at is good. Safety is differently at the top of everyone s list no matter if your the floor cleaner or the CEO
Pros
good pay, loads of training, good benefits
Cons
the drive in at the plant i work at can be a challenge
Suncor is a positive and challenging work environment.
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJune 26, 2015
I have learned a great deal working at Suncor and have kept up with many challenges in my role as a Senior Contract Administrator. A typical day at work is dealing with many Clients and Stakeholders. Expediting requirements for contracts and making sure everyone is getting what they need from Contractors and Vendors. I work with a great team and enjoy being part of a team that works well together. The hardest part of my job is trying to push people to provide what I need to do my job and the most enjoyable part of my job is when a contract is executed and I know I have done my job well.
Productive, Busy and very very important work
E & I Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2015
It was great experience working with company like Suncor. Suncor provides great platform for learning and experiencing all different types of oil sands processes.
I loved everything about working at Suncor Energy.
Analyst/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJuly 16, 2015
A typical day at work would start off by checking and replying to e-mails and phone messages. Going over my agenda on what needed to be done that day. I would do inventory reconciliations, journal entries, and month end balancing, etc. Everyone at Suncor was great management and co-workers were very easy to get a lot with.
Not always practicing what they preach
Lead Rotating Equipment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayJuly 21, 2014
Managed the Rotating equipment specialist group in predictive maintenance.
Management not always supporting new ideas and suggestions
Good co-workers
Pros
good benifits
Cons
always expected to be on call
great place to learn and work
Co-Op Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 3, 2015
> very knowledgable senior staff
> large and powerful equipment always keeps you on your toes
> flexible work environment with plenty of time off
> fly in/ fly out much safer than driving highway 63
> great camp to live in with lots to do after work hours
> good food, clean rooms
> great operating team toward with and learn from
I enjoy what I do
skilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy the work I have accomplished and efford it took. I believe in in this matfor of.....honest day work for honest day pay
Pros
Think safety be safe
Cons
Dislike winers
Excellent place to work at
Automation Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 21, 2015
As a co-op student I was treated like a full time worker. There is a huge emphasis on process and workplace safety. A lot of resources go into development and training. Extremely interesting and rewarding.
Good company
Mechanical Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2015
Good company to work for. Learnt a lot about field engineering during my co-op work term. Jobs are a bit unstable due to low oil price.
Busy Office Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Suncor is a busy workplace, with a numbers of activities going on at once. There is only limited advancement opporunities. However, the salary and benefits are good if your staff.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
minimal advancement
Great Job
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 22, 2014
Working for Suncor was a great learning experience for me. It was a large organization with a lot of great opportunity. I moved around to a couple of different positions until I found my challenge of being an HR Advisor and a HR Recruiter while going to school. The most hardest part of the job was the demand for perfection was high. I had a great team whom always had my back. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team and the work life balance.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
movement of management
Politics
Business Services (Current Employee) –  ABFebruary 24, 2014
A manager just said openly the other day to his staff:" Words of wisdom that you should take to heart: what interests my manager; fascinates me". Enough said...
Pros
money and benefits
Cons
management
hard
Laborer (Former Employee) –  fort macSeptember 17, 2015
had to work outdoors alot, great co-workers, boss was pretty laid back, hard working team. Must have a winning attitude and network to get far in this industry.
Pros
pay
Cons
environment
Great work life balance
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Suncor offers great work life balance, salary, and great respect from the managers.
Consulting here
Workstation Software Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 6, 2015
A good company to work overall, but there was a definite separation between employees and contractors. Outsourcing to IBM left contractors with no offers, so we all had to find our new positions on our own.
Enjoyed working at Suncor at Calgary office in SCM
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
A typical day to day work - includes new work challenges, excitement, work life balance, experienced, collaborative and supportive team members exists in foundation level in all SCM groups.

Learnt - I have learned many new things working with major O&G companies, gained lot of confidence and have clear goals on my work and career path. I am coming out of this Company with lot of knowledge that might open door in some other company in future.

Management - Suncor needs to really work on selecting Team Leaders, Managers and Directors. This is due to the fact Team Leader and Managers do not know how to make wise decisions in any downturns. As everyone know work comes out at foundation level in any organization. If Suncor had a good Team Leaders/ Manager they could have picked individuals who are Loyal to the Company, experienced, can give better Turn around, cost efficient and can fix any kind of situations.

It is petty to say that an individual, who are Ex employees with Team Leader/ managers, near and dear hangout with Managers can have job security. Decisions are not based on how many years individual worked, his/her experience, education, individual is shown exceptional in all one-one meetings and given unbelievable work turn arounds.

Hardest part of the job - Suncor made several changes (5-6 changes) in SCM in past 7 years (Petro Canada/Suncor). Any simple change in the organisation will effect foundation workers at high by the time worker gets adjusted a new changes is on the way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is work life balance I started my day at
  more... 7:00 and finished by 4:00, there are lot of internal competitions, prizes etc...  less
Pros
Several as mentioned above
Cons
Several as mentioned above
Review
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 6, 2012
Good shift and good pay. More focus on production over safety, change in management affect worker morale
Pros
salary and shift
Cons
focus on production over safety
Good
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  MississaugaAugust 31, 2015
- Growing environment with trainings all along the work;
- Strict work conduct code with company to internal and external customers;
- Safety emphasis with responsibility to the environment.
Pros
Free bevarage