Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Suncor is good employer
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2015
Suncor has a very large IT shop and is among the best companies to work for.
its IT operations are outsourced and current IT management is looking into to consolidate the IT environment at the same time is going towards complete outsourced model.
Pros
good work envorinment
Cons
high layoff percentage
excellent work/life balance with little job security or advancement
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Suncor is a wealthy company due to it vast oil resources. Its management style is not matching its pace required for its further development. Senior management tends to use various systems to manage this monster organization. That caused lower work efficiency and less human interaction. The senior management doesn't really know what is going on with the working level.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
complex relationship
Fantastic work environment with friendly co-workers.
Assistant to EVP of Major Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaApril 21, 2015
A great place to work where I was constantly learning about the industry. There was plenty of room for personal achievement as well as professional achievement. The co-workers were fantastic to work with and management genuinely cared about your personal well being.
Challenging
Process Safety Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2015
a good and fruitful experience working in different conditions at site. With different assignments and tasks everyday, walking down at the plant is quite a challenge specially on complex areas such as boiler house and utility lines.
Enjoyed working at Suncor at Calgary office in SCM
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
A typical day to day work - includes new work challenges, excitement, work life balance, experienced, collaborative and supportive team members exists in foundation level in all SCM groups.

Learnt - I have learned many new things working with major O&G companies, gained lot of confidence and have clear goals on my work and career path. I am coming out of this Company with lot of knowledge that might open door in some other company in future.

Management - Suncor needs to really work on selecting Team Leaders, Managers and Directors. This is due to the fact Team Leader and Managers do not know how to make wise decisions in any downturns. As everyone know work comes out at foundation level in any organization. If Suncor had a good Team Leaders/ Manager they could have picked individuals who are Loyal to the Company, experienced, can give better Turn around, cost efficient and can fix any kind of situations.

It is petty to say that an individual, who are Ex employees with Team Leader/ managers, near and dear hangout with Managers can have job security. Decisions are not based on how many years individual worked, his/her experience, education, individual is shown exceptional in all one-one meetings and given unbelievable work turn arounds.

Hardest part of the job - Suncor made several changes (5-6 changes) in SCM in past 7 years (Petro Canada/Suncor). Any simple change in the organisation will effect foundation workers at high by the time worker gets adjusted a new changes is on the way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is work life balance I started my day at
  more... 7:00 and finished by 4:00, there are lot of internal competitions, prizes etc...  less
Pros
Several as mentioned above
Cons
Several as mentioned above
an industry and company which will reflect the price of oil
Data Protection Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
good experience to learn about procedures and processes - the hiring and firing is done pretty fast. I am just wondering where all the money out of years of high oil price is gone
Pros
forefront of technology
Cons
procedures and processes
Excellent place to work
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 24, 2015
Numerous chances to grow, constant challenging environment which enhance the ability to multitask and work under deadlines.
Pros
Health and Dental benefits, days off
Cons
working lunches
WAS A VERY GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT 10 YRS AGO
Unit leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 19, 2015
THE WAY EMPLOYEES ARE TREATED HAVE DETERATED OVERTHE YEARS. WORKERS NOT RESPECTED AS THEY WERE YEARS AGO.ITS SEEMSTHAT PRODUCTIVITY TAKES PRIORITYOVER EMPLOYEES
A worthwhile experience working with people at the company.
Sr. Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Ft. Hill, Ft. Mcmurray, AlbertaMarch 15, 2015
A worthwhile experience working with people at the company. The project is huge and lot of experience will be developed.
Suncor: Very good place to work
Turnaround Mechanical Engineer in Training (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 13, 2015
I worked at Suncor as an intern and I had the best time of my life during this one year. The experience was great. Accommodation was provided by the company. There were many young interns and new graduates in the company with weekly events happening at Suncor accommodation.

I had a very good manager and provided excellent mentoring. My mistake was to turn down their offer to hire me as an EIT after graduation. I highly advise joining their new grad or intern programs.
Pros
excellent salary package, good experience, good employees
Cons
cold in fort mcmurray
Dynamic workplace
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  calgaryMarch 13, 2015
Workplace is pretty unstable and unsettling.
Communication from the higher management is bad.
Workplace has good intelligent people
Pros
good people
Cons
unstable
Nice atmosphere
Drilling supervisor/Logistic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2015
Oversee day to day drilling activity including construction and safety.
Review all permits prior to day to day activities.
Pros
on site supervisor (consultants) used experience to train new workers.
Cons
delays with dissensions making from calgary.
Culture is one which supports out of the box thinking
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Firebag site, Fort McMurray, AlbertaMarch 10, 2015
Work days are dependent on shifts allotted.
Great place to practice what has been learned over time. People are good at supporting.
Great working environment
Learning Admin - PD&L (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 4, 2015
I loved working there, I loved the people, the environment, how professional most people were, their closeness with each other, their belief in due diligence, and priorities of a safe environment.
Pros
learn something new
Cons
no job security
An exciting workplace to learn new things
Document Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AlbertaMarch 3, 2015
Fast-paced environment dealing with documentations in oil and gas industry. This is a new experience for me working in documentations providing information to stakeholders; business units, construction teams, contractors and engineering groups. Coordination with all cross-functional teams. I had fun working with the team with the advantage of learning so much from this industry.
Pros
free souvenirs
Cons
no job security
A rewarding challenge
3rd Class Power Engineer/ Student Operator Trainee (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 3, 2015
A challenging and rewarding work place, especially in U1. The people are great to work with and support you to become a strong leader.
Typical Day at Work
Maintenance Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 2, 2015
Start with daily team meeting to get an update of current auxiliary mining equipment statuses (dozers, excavators etc.) and discuss tasks for the day and updates on ongoing projects. Develop weekly report of Key Performance Indicators of all auxiliary assets for key stakeholders on the cross functional team. Performed failure analysis of failed machine components and supported maintenance staff in servicing the units.
Very Good
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2015
A very good company to start your career.. Big name and good salary. Get a work experience in this company and increase your market value.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No job security
Loved Suncor
Solution Designer (Solution Architect) (Former Employee) –  CalgaryFebruary 26, 2015
The only slightly negative thing I can say about my time at Suncor was that the pay rate was at the lower end of the then current market rates.

But, I got to work on great projects, had a great manager, worked with some fabulous people and was allowed (encouraged even!) to do what I do well.
Pros
pretty much everything except not the best pay rate
Cons
pay rate towards the lower end of market
Good work life balance!
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
The safety culture within this company, I believe is one of the best. All meetings started with a safety topic. That is a part of Operational Excellence. I had a few opportunities to present safety topics.
Pros
work culture
Cons
the performance management tool could be onerous