Suncor Employee Reviews

Very good place to work.
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2016
Management treats everyone fairly and its a fun place to be. Co workers are great.
Would highly recommend working at suncor.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
3 and 3 shift rotation
My personal objective to get the job done in a safe and productive manner.
Utilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 July 2013
80% office work 20% field work, typical day started with responding to e-mails, issuing work permits, attending toolbox talks with contractors and coordinating work. I learned Suncor practices, procedures and safety aspects, manage contractors on a daily basis. Co-workers such as co-ordinators, administration and management always had good communication. The hardest part of the job was to find the time to book and complete designated courses assigned to coordinators with our busy schedule. The most enjoyable part is cooking breakfast and inviting fellow workers to enjoy and relax, yes we still discuss work on occasion .
Pros
Lots of free lunches for appreciation and safety
Cons
No problem with long hours
Suncor is an organization that invests in good people. The company has a good working culture along with strategic values that align with the industry
Contracts Manager - Engineering Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2013
I'm excited to come to work everyday, as each day has its own challenges and excitment. My team is very supportive and I'm glad they are seeing themselves motivated to achieve my goals.

Over the last seven years, Suncor Management have been extremely passionate above my carreer and growth within the organziation which I'm most thankful for.
Pros
safety is key, flexible hour, open mind, growth culture, training providers and
Cons
highly flexible to industry trends
A great company to work for
Senior Advisor, Auditor, (Lead) Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2015
Job Work/Life Balance is great
Salary/Benefits are great
Job Security/Advancement is great
Management is great
Job Culture is good
Pros
A lot of team players
Cons
Some mean people
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 November 2015
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Cons
Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Productive and fun place to work
Process Engineer, EIT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2015
Productive and fun place to work. Good place to start your career as it has effective mentoring program in place.
•a typical day at work: good
•what you learned: Engineering
•management: Good
•your co-workers: just like family
•the hardest part of the job: Nothing is hard
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Team Work
Pros
Mentoring Program
Cons
Not as such
Mediocre at best
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2016
This is a Middle rated company. I have worked for better.
Located in Edmonton is great...but the Salary Positions have No overtime pay; yet you are EXPECTED to work Overtime during Turnarounds.
Pros
Cons
No Overtime Pay for Overtime work.
Great Job
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Calgary22 December 2014
Working for Suncor was a great learning experience for me. It was a large organization with a lot of great opportunity. I moved around to a couple of different positions until I found my challenge of being an HR Advisor and a HR Recruiter while going to school. The most hardest part of the job was the demand for perfection was high. I had a great team whom always had my back. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team and the work life balance.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Movement of management
excellent work/life balance with little job security or advancement
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2015
Suncor is a wealthy company due to it vast oil resources. Its management style is not matching its pace required for its further development. Senior management tends to use various systems to manage this monster organization. That caused lower work efficiency and less human interaction. The senior management doesn't really know what is going on with the working level.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
complex relationship
Get Place
Client Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 April 2016
Great place to work and meet interesting people. Management is organized and good with personal time off and special requests.
Excellent working environment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 September 2015
I worked for Suncor for 28 years. Great job security and room for advancement. Salary and benefits were excellent. Training and education were always available.
Pros
Great salary and benefits.
Cons
Great company to work for
Integrated Reliability Project Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2016
SUNCOR Energy is a Great company. Work life balance is excellent and Effort is reconized.
Highly recommend SUNCOR to anyone.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Great Work Life Balance
Fast Past
Planner (Current Employee) –  Ft.McMurray, AB30 September 2015
Typical day, involves morning safety moment followed by round table discussion. Then into the work load addressing different challenges and finding solutions.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
not much room for advancement
Friendly workplace environment
Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 June 2016
Best place to work. Employees are skilled and well trained.They are very helpful too.Perfect place for operator training,specially in SAGD operation.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Rotating shift
Bad benefits, decent salary
Summer Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2014
Worked as an operator doing shift work. If your ok with shift work than this is a great job, it's located in the city, easily accessible. Seemed like the employees were not happy about the benefits plan, saying things like Shell and Esso have a much better plan for their employees. Other than that it was a fun place to work, great people to work with, management wasn't really noteworthy. Salary is decent compared to other major companies for operators starting upwards of 85k.
Supportive team to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2015
I learned how to really enjoy working in a team setting. The people are what make a company. When there is great Management people want to go above and beyond because they feel appreciated. I enjoyed all the activities and benefits offered for team building each year. Overall great company to work for.
Pros
Great people with lots of opportunity
Cons
Each business unit can be completely different
Great benefits, leadership needs to be improved
Learning Development (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 January 2016
Suncor is great! However they do not hold people accountable for their actions. Still the same friends and family plan. Its not what you know but who you know. You would think with the experience and knowledge you can advance, but unless you know someone, good luck.
Pros
salary, co-workers, environment
Cons
Leadership, not held accountable
Suncor is most important company in Canada
Analyst Consultant Contractor (Current Employee) –  Firebag, AB2 August 2015
Our company offers a variety of career paths for operations, technical, professional and leadership streams. The Career Compass is a tool that gives insight into careers at Suncor and the different ways people can move into a new position or stay in their current role for a satisfying career.

Within the career tool, there are many resources that help identify potential career paths. It also shows how others have navigated their careers at Suncor and gives a standard way to talk about career and development.

The Career Compass, along with other resources in our development toolkit, supports our ability to retain and engage people to meet our business needs
Productive and fun workplace
Mine Engineer Student, Long Range Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
Great on-boarding process. Supervisors and Managers are great leaders and innovators. Very productive mine with great safety culture. Too bad oil prices are down.
Pros
Safety culture
Cons
Job security
Good strategy company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2015
work varies time to time. high load to low load
the management varies, personally it gets better the higher the chain you go.
Suncor is a multi-culture organisation. the kind of people you work vary - from fun intelligent staff to not so intelligent
The hardest part of the job is uncertainty. The management time to time lack the vision and as such make it difficult for the staff to figure out what to work on as a priority.

4.2