Suncor Employee Reviews

best job ever
EH&S Specialist-Extraction (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 May 2016
it is a good company to work for the best, the company has the best people and the policy.It was fun to work for them and l will do it again in a heart beat. But this is all l can give now as l need to find a job right away.
Thanks
Pros
Good job
Cons
horrible City
Great company to work for
Integrated Reliability Project Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2016
SUNCOR Energy is a Great company. Work life balance is excellent and Effort is reconized.
Highly recommend SUNCOR to anyone.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Great Work Life Balance
Contractor
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray AB15 April 2014
Organised a solid team to execute and complete our task over two years. Management was inspirational, very good at position. Not a lot of room for advancement, was hostile environment in that respect. Contractor position lacked any benefits and were not involved in overall company culture activities. Altogether had a strong team who worked hard and did our best to succeed at the task.
Get Place
Client Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 April 2016
Great place to work and meet interesting people. Management is organized and good with personal time off and special requests.
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 November 2015
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Cons
Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Not enough challenge
Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2015
I think that Suncor is an excellent company, and I was very excited to work for them. However, the role I was in was not challenging enough. There was not enough work and I was twiddling my thumbs most of the time. There did not seem to be room for advancement in my department. For me, the challenge wasn't there at the time, but I would consider returning to the company if there was a more progressive position available.
Pros
Gym and daycare on site
Cons
Too many layers of management
Great Company where you never get bored
Reliability Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 April 2016
Great atmosphere in an outdoor environment, you will be very busy at any level. Big responsibilities will be given to the employee and he will be very trusted
Fast paced,safety oriented, fun, rewarding
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 October 2015
Loved my job because of the variety and good people to work with.

Daily work was involved with reviewing and releasing PM Work Orders. Then reviewing approved to plan Notifications and start planning them based on priority and urgency. Review of spare parts required and perhaps external services required as well.

I learned a lot about the newest format of SAP and many new opportunities to streamline the SAP Process. I was involved with the cross department meetings in order to find roadblocks or bottlenecks to work through those issues to a positive solution.

Management was a revolving door and that was my most frustrating part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting things done with the right people, with the right parts at the right time; with minimal re-planning at the point of Execution - by attaching drawings, P&ID's Procedures and OEM information
Pros
Lots of training, good wages, empowered, teamwork
Cons
politics, changing management
A great company to work for
Senior Advisor, Auditor, (Lead) Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2015
Job Work/Life Balance is great
Salary/Benefits are great
Job Security/Advancement is great
Management is great
Job Culture is good
Pros
A lot of team players
Cons
Some mean people
Fast paced environment
Category Specialist - Food Services CONRET (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 April 2016
Suncor is a company who takes pride in it's employees in a challenging time. It is a company that is very big into charitable work and giving back to the community. All Suncor employees participate into events within the communities to give back.
a good learning experience
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
high pay
all amenities on site
General Labourer for MML (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 April 2016
working backshift was busy but with all required tools available for use made job easy. Morale was good team worked well to accomplish employers expectations
Pros
all required was available
Cons
being so far away from family
work environment was supportive
E&I Reliability Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 January 2015
Excellent co-worker and supervisor
Hands-on learning experience
Great salary and benefits
Different types of projects and work
Supportive team members
Good management for projects
Well described work experience
Learnt how to communicate and finish work on time
Great experience good people and room for advancement
Lead Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montreal-est, QC27 May 2015
1-A typical day at the office with Suncor would consist of meetings with our construction team in preparation for our coordinators to paticipate in the safety tool box meetings with Contractors.

2-During my 5 years with Suncor. I learned that Safety was not just a lip service but that safety was a culture, and this was encouraged to the Contractors on a daily basis.

3-Management were supportive in managing the field work on a daily basis.

4- Our daily office coordination brainstorming meetings would open the door for our co-workers to participate in the success of the project.

5- I found the Hardest part of the job when we would be in the execution phase and were not part writing the poorly defined scope,schedule,or budget and have to correct through the change management process.

6- I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be working with people, I enjoyed the success that we shared when we all worked the processes together and learned from each other the best practices.
Pros
Great experiences
Cons
A serious company to work with. Expectations are stated and met by any serious contractor or employee
ECM Sustainment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2016
An innovative company and one who treats employees and contractors with respect. Suncor has a high awareness of safety that is exposed to everyone.
Excellent Company to work at.
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2016
Excellent place to work. They give back and encourage you to grow in your skills. Staff and management are excellent and supportive.
Suncor
Operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2014
Suncor is great company to work for. The benefits are in line with all other oil companies and the work atmosphere at the plant i work at is good. Safety is differently at the top of everyone s list no matter if your the floor cleaner or the CEO
Pros
good pay, loads of training, good benefits
Cons
the drive in at the plant i work at can be a challenge
Productive and fun place
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2016
A good oil and gas company to work with excellent pay and generous vacation/personal days off. However a lot of leg pulling and unprofessional attitudes exist there.
Productive & fun Workplace
Consultant, Sustainment Engineering (Utilities) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2016
Best Company I've ever worked for, I'd go back in a heart beat once this Oil price rebounds. I had put 10 years working as a Contractor in different roles for Suncor and truly enjoyed my last 22 months project with my Suncor team.
Pros
Great Company, as a Contractor you almost felt like an Employee
Cons
Slumping WTI price Contractors where always on the chopping block.
Very Good
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2015
A very good company to start your career.. Big name and good salary. Get a work experience in this company and increase your market value.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No job security

4.2