Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun place to work
Process Engineer, EIT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2015
Productive and fun place to work. Good place to start your career as it has effective mentoring program in place.
•a typical day at work: good
•what you learned: Engineering
•management: Good
•your co-workers: just like family
•the hardest part of the job: Nothing is hard
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Team Work
Pros
Mentoring Program
Cons
Not as such
Fast paced,safety oriented, fun, rewarding
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 2, 2015
Loved my job because of the variety and good people to work with.

Daily work was involved with reviewing and releasing PM Work Orders. Then reviewing approved to plan Notifications and start planning them based on priority and urgency. Review of spare parts required and perhaps external services required as well.

I learned a lot about the newest format of SAP and many new opportunities to streamline the SAP Process. I was involved with the cross department meetings in order to find roadblocks or bottlenecks to work through those issues to a positive solution.

Management was a revolving door and that was my most frustrating part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting things done with the right people, with the right parts at the right time; with minimal re-planning at the point of Execution - by attaching drawings, P&ID's Procedures and OEM information
Pros
Lots of training, good wages, empowered, teamwork
Cons
politics, changing management
Productive and fun workplace
Mine Engineer Student, Long Range Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Great on-boarding process. Supervisors and Managers are great leaders and innovators. Very productive mine with great safety culture. Too bad oil prices are down.
Pros
Safety culture
Cons
Job security
Day at work.
Crew Leader/Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2015
Great work environment and good people on crews. Plenty of room for advancement and always new things to learn with new plants coming online.
Productive, Busy and very very important work
E & I Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2015
It was great experience working with company like Suncor. Suncor provides great platform for learning and experiencing all different types of oil sands processes.
Excellent place to work at
Automation Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 21, 2015
As a co-op student I was treated like a full time worker. There is a huge emphasis on process and workplace safety. A lot of resources go into development and training. Extremely interesting and rewarding.
I loved everything about working at Suncor Energy.
Analyst/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJuly 16, 2015
A typical day at work would start off by checking and replying to e-mails and phone messages. Going over my agenda on what needed to be done that day. I would do inventory reconciliations, journal entries, and month end balancing, etc. Everyone at Suncor was great management and co-workers were very easy to get a lot with.
Suncor is a positive and challenging work environment.
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJune 26, 2015
I have learned a great deal working at Suncor and have kept up with many challenges in my role as a Senior Contract Administrator. A typical day at work is dealing with many Clients and Stakeholders. Expediting requirements for contracts and making sure everyone is getting what they need from Contractors and Vendors. I work with a great team and enjoy being part of a team that works well together. The hardest part of my job is trying to push people to provide what I need to do my job and the most enjoyable part of my job is when a contract is executed and I know I have done my job well.
Fast Past
Planner (Current Employee) –  Ft.McMurray, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Typical day, involves morning safety moment followed by round table discussion. Then into the work load addressing different challenges and finding solutions.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
not much room for advancement
Excellent working environment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 8, 2015
I worked for Suncor for 28 years. Great job security and room for advancement. Salary and benefits were excellent. Training and education were always available.
Pros
Great salary and benefits.
Cons
Great people, good work culture but there is fair bit of red tape in upper management. Too bad the dip in oil prices squeezed out a lot of good folks
In Asset Management (Former Employee) –  OakvilleJune 9, 2015
The people and job culture is excellent. But there are a lot of redundant roles doing the same job. So middle management ends up micro-managing.
Pros
Exposure to a lot of work, Learning opportunities, Great work colleagues, Good benefits
Cons
Like to do things internally, do not like to hire external consultants for expert advice.
Good
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  MississaugaAugust 31, 2015
- Growing environment with trainings all along the work;
- Strict work conduct code with company to internal and external customers;
- Safety emphasis with responsibility to the environment.
Pros
Free bevarage
I enjoy what I do
skilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy the work I have accomplished and efford it took. I believe in in this matfor of.....honest day work for honest day pay
Pros
Think safety be safe
Cons
Dislike winers
Productive and fun place to work at
Lab Assistant (Summer Intern) (Former Employee) –  Port MoodySeptember 22, 2015
It's an excellent place for anyone to kick start his/her career in the oil and gas industry. It offers a lot of learning opportunities.
Consulting here
Workstation Software Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 6, 2015
A good company to work overall, but there was a definite separation between employees and contractors. Outsourcing to IBM left contractors with no offers, so we all had to find our new positions on our own.
Culture and dynamics
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 6, 2015
Dealt with many different people on a day to day basis, can be fast-paced and impossible deadlines from the internal customers.
Pros
Great pay, medical and dental coverage and savings program.
Cons
Lack of communication on many levels
Excellent company to work for
Integration Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMay 5, 2015
Working for Petro-Canada and then later for Suncor when the companies merged was a very positive experience.

I held many different positions over the 9+ years as an employee and also 6 years prior as a contractor.

My final role was spent as a member of an Integration team for Suncor's In Situ Business Unit. This opportunity allowed me to manage, coordinate and contribute to a variety of projects.
Pros
Interesting and challenging work, good leadership and support
Cons
Job uncertainty with declining markets, increasing job complexity and increased responsibility
hard
Laborer (Former Employee) –  fort macSeptember 17, 2015
had to work outdoors alot, great co-workers, boss was pretty laid back, hard working team. Must have a winning attitude and network to get far in this industry.
Pros
pay
Cons
environment
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.
Pros
big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons
New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Good company
Mechanical Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2015
Good company to work for. Learnt a lot about field engineering during my co-op work term. Jobs are a bit unstable due to low oil price.