Suncor

Suncor Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Suncor is a 'skies the limit' work envirment.
Extraction Plant Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayOctober 12, 2013
Pros: exciting work enviroment
Cons: being away from my family
There was not a typical day at work in the Extraction area. Anything could happen at any time, both good and bad. That's what made it such a great place to work...the excitement, the opportunity to utilize learned skills. At Suncor I learned an entirely new career, Plant Operator. I was able to challenge myself through many diverse training courses – more... some mandatory and some just to have, they all benefited my job. Over all a great environment, my peers, everyone was always ready and willing to help out and work as a team. I cant think of the best part of an operator's job, I enjoyed everything from routine inspections to panic mode emergency shut down. It was a great experience. – less
Good Job
Process Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 11, 2013
Pros: they paid money
Cons: they didn't pay enough money
liked the job, good enviroment to work in and always full of new challenges
A very Safe Work place
Senior Plant Maintenance (Former Employee), Wilson Creek Gas Plant and Field locationsSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: being able to come home safe everyday
Cons: there were none
A typical day at work involved the maintenance and repair of equipment. Predictive and preventative maintenance disciplines were implemented. I learned oil and Gas process and new control systems. My co-workers were like family and a good team, making the site 45 plus years without a loss time accident.
The hardest part of the job was on rare occasion – more... insufficient parts were shipped to site to complete a task.
The most enjoyable part of the career was being out in the country where I could observe nature at its finest. – less
Applying My Knowledge and Skill Set
Short Range Planner (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: challenging and unique work projects, diverse workforce, safety focussed work culture
Cons: out of province
Working at Suncor Energy Inc gave me the opportunity to develop and apply my project and facility management skills. I worked as a Short Range Planner within the Facilities Planning & Projects division. I worked exclusively on planning and executing projects within the company’s Mining Business Unit.

A typical day at work would begin with arriving – more... at work on the company shuttle bus with my colleagues. After checking my email, and voice messages, our team would have a weekly meeting. This meeting would review current projects, safety concerns, and allow us to discuss challenges. Next, I would work on compiling project documents for new Request for Proposals (RFPs). This would involve writing the RFP, preparing drawings, developing the project schedule and budget, and communicating with the client as needed.

In the afternoon, I would take the bus shuttle to the main site outside of town to conduct project walkthroughs, discuss and resolve onsite project issues, and review projects with my Project Coordinator. Finally, I would end the day with arriving back at my workstation to reply to any emails and voicemails that arrived throughout the afternoon. – less
Experience at Suncor
Security Associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: great company, great team
Cons: constant working in the night makes sleeping regime very difficult
I am a very hard working person. In my current I have a great team and it is fun to be at work.

I work in the night and things really get hard at around 4 - 5 am when it is very hard to fight off nature (Sleep).
Very productive work culture
Project Controls Analyst (Current Employee), fort mcmurraySeptember 10, 2013
Very balance work culture, company value work life balance.
Great atmosphere and learning experience
Business Advisor (Former Employee), North York, ONSeptember 2, 2013
Hierarchical culture but lots of experience opportunities as long as you don't work in a Shared Services function.
Suncor - Tailings Supervisor
Tailings Operation Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 2, 2013
12 hr work days... Management meeting... Prep for Toolbox talk... Conduct Toolbox talk... enter pay and time... review the issued work permits... Supervise and ensure work is being conducted safely in the field. Look after all the pumps / Barges / and ponds.
Productive workplace
Operating Engineer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 31, 2013
Pros: bonus pay, safety awards
Cons: many employees can make you feel like a number
A typical day starts with safety. The management really cares about employees safety. I learned to operate the largest mining haul trucks in the world. The company allows lots of decisions to be made by the employee, as long as it complies with safety procedures.
My personal objective to get the job done in a safe and productive manner.
Utilities Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJuly 16, 2013
Pros: lots of free lunches for appreciation and safety
Cons: no problem with long hours
80% office work 20% field work, typical day started with responding to e-mails, issuing work permits, attending toolbox talks with contractors and coordinating work. I learned Suncor practices, procedures and safety aspects, manage contractors on a daily basis. Co-workers such as co-ordinators, administration and management always had good communication. – more... The hardest part of the job was to find the time to book and complete designated courses assigned to coordinators with our busy schedule. The most enjoyable part is cooking breakfast and inviting fellow workers to enjoy and relax, yes we still discuss work on occasion . – less
risk management, not open to contractors input for potential concerns
safety supervisor (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJuly 10, 2013
Pros: close parking
This was an expansion ( twinning) of an existing ethonol plant. TYPICAL DAY WAS AUDITING FOR COMPLIANCE,correcting unsafe practice,documenting concerns for client review. I learned that in this plant that concerns for anhydrus ammonia differ from other plants assessing hazzard value,Other Suncor job was at there refinery expansion in sarnia, remodle – more... and upgrade catcracker and crude tank upgrader – less
Expects hard work but pays well.
Program Developer/Instructor (Former Employee), Firebag In Situ Site, AlbertaJune 28, 2013
Over 30 years with Suncor. A huge variety of career options, from tradesperson to senior management.
Expects hard work but pays well.
Good balance of work and personal life
Planner Coordinator (Former Employee), suncor business center Fort Mcmurray albertaMay 30, 2013
Good place to work must be a self motivated individual there is very little guidance.

Know your job and stay on top of it, involves field placement and office computer skills

Become an employee as contracting is short term and unpredictable.

Be care full who you trust

Hardest part was leaving most enjoyable part was starting.
Execellent Company with many benifits.
Supervisor/Co-ordinator- Maintenance (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 21, 2013
Pros: monthly bonuses
Cons: 2 hour drive to work.
My job consisted of Supervising a Large contracting Company that were responsible for the maintenance on approxiametly 1300 Cranes and elevators across the oil sands site.
I then reported to a senior supervisor with daily activities and weekly work schedule and everything pertaining to safety and production.

Hardest part of job was having to leave.

The – more... most enjoyable part was working with a company that truely looks after their men. – less
A productive work place with more diversity
Suncor Power Engineer- process operator (Former Employee), Fort Mcmurray, ABMay 13, 2013
Pros: very good place to learn and grow as power engineer
Cons: long hours and overtime which can be also good on the other hand
A day in october 2013 we have to deal with H2S leak from the view port in sulphur plant 53.
We have to put our scott pack on and solve the problem.
Great workplace which has good culture and values on safety.
Oil & Gas Engineering-In-Training (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2013
This was a great place to learn and grow. By working with lots of great subject matter experts and project managers, I gained both technical knowledge and management skills. Co-workers were quite supportive. Manager was able to delegate some challenging tasks while some of them required strong communication skills and strategies. The most enjoyable – more... part of the job was the people here in the company who were genuine, supportive and friendly. – less
Suncor is an organization that invests in good people. The company has a good working culture along with strategic values that align with the industry
Contracts Manager - Engineering Services (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2013
Pros: safety is key, flexible hour, open mind, growth culture, training providers and
Cons: highly flexible to industry trends
I'm excited to come to work everyday, as each day has its own challenges and excitment. My team is very supportive and I'm glad they are seeing themselves motivated to achieve my goals.

Over the last seven years, Suncor Management have been extremely passionate above my carreer and growth within the organziation which I'm most thankful for.
Great Company to Work For
IS (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2013
I really enjoyed the flexitime schedule as did a lot of other people. There were several people starting their day by 7am and finishing by 4pm. As a contractor my hours were fixed with no overtime. This was tough with tight deadlines, but was nice to have the work/life balance.
Great Company to Work For
IS (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2013

About Suncor

The skeptics said Canada's oil sands could never be developed commercially. In 1967, Suncor Energy proved them wrong; the perseverance, – Read more