Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Huge company with many avenues for progress
Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer (Reliability) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 1, 2016
Typical day at work involves daily reports, interaction with Operations, Process Engineering, Maintenance. Sometimes with Projects as well
Pros
Bus Transport, Sunsidised tickets to events
Cons
Recognising the skills is not based on the abilities but based on who you know
Great place to work.
Well Site Supervisor Suncor Canada Oil Sands (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 30, 2015
Very safety oriented. Great team leaders. Very organized when it comes to everyone being on the same page. Very few bad examples.
Complicated work place but the job was easy
Tailings Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
Typical day was....
Morning safety meeting. Given job instructions. Get the permit and make sure the lock out procedure was done. Go to the job and do the FLRA. Pre checked all equipment and tools. If everything was safe then we stared work.

Learned...
Good communication is key for a safe work place

Management and co-workers
Good management. Supervisors weren't the best. Always a fight to get things or to make sure everything was safe and they would favour a worker more then others. Co-workers were good.

Hardest part was making sure safety was the number one priority. Production was more important then safety it seemed.

Working with a good crew and sticking together as a team to get things done in a timely manner and making sure its done safely along the way.
Pros
Good team
productive place to work
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 6, 2015
union so training was based on seniority rather then the need. there were shift leagues for sports so that provided a sense of normalcy in the life. there were many employee benefits
Pros
transportation provided to and from work
Cons
buses usually didn't have heat or ac when needed
not the best place to work
Logistics Coordinator/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 3, 2015
very stressful, lots of forced overtime, in my department, extremely bad management, and anyone who complained has been laid off in Supply Chain. My co-workers were awesome and very helpful
Day at work.
Crew Leader/Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2015
Great work environment and good people on crews. Plenty of room for advancement and always new things to learn with new plants coming online.
Productive, Secure environment
Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer (Reliability) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 27, 2015
Good chance for upgrading our skills; challenging with sophisticated equipment.Huge company with varied equipment to work on
Pros
15 flexible days off in a year, near to home, bus transport
Cons
Long hours sometimes;Old facility is scary to work
Excellent management personell
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ABNovember 23, 2015
The Suncor experience was rewarding both financially and in terms of personal growth. The job as a Quality Assurance Coordinator allowed me to apply the knowledge of my many years as a B pressure welder combined with my education, {WET} allowed me to contribute to Suncor's operation. The personal satisfaction of being able to contribute boosted my self esteem. Showing up for work each day was an adventure because of the range of duties I performed each day, week, year.
Pros
Excellent Accomodations
Cons
Away from home. Not a hardship.
working at suncor, not fun
Condition Monitoring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 12, 2015
as mentioned above won't tell you much about the organization.
They're laying off people like never before.
But yeah suncor got COS shareholders that could be a big whopper.
Pros
strong management
Cons
no life
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Cons
Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2015
I enjoyed working with Suncor and was proud to say that I single handily initiated and executed the DMS workflow at MacKay River plant of Suncor and was able to train both Supervisor, Managers and Directors alike on the functionality of the process as well as training other colleagues to join the crew, in less than a month as again the third of the year which was originally predicted. I take great pleasure and passion when I am working regardless of what responsibility.
Productive place to work with a good co-workers
office services (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 3, 2015
Great place to work with lots of things to keep me busy. Good co-workers and a good work setting. I learned lots from our weekly meetings and how to manage a team of people. The hardest part of the job was taking over for other people because you had to learn their routine usually on the same day. The best part of the job was getting to talk to people and go to multiple areas on site.
Pros
Indoors
Cons
Lots of walking
a good learning experience
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
Pros
high pay
Lots of Employee Benefits
Junior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2015
Lots of great Employee Benefits to improve Job Work/Life Balance. However, these are not always the most accessible to offsite employees. During restructuring periods, this can also be quite a nerve-wracking experience for junior/new grad employees. Great training resources on the company and policies are provided. Job specific training could be improved.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Not enough challenge
Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
I think that Suncor is an excellent company, and I was very excited to work for them. However, the role I was in was not challenging enough. There was not enough work and I was twiddling my thumbs most of the time. There did not seem to be room for advancement in my department. For me, the challenge wasn't there at the time, but I would consider returning to the company if there was a more progressive position available.
Pros
Gym and daycare on site
Cons
Too many layers of management
Productive, Busy and very very important work
E & I Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 15, 2015
It was great experience working with company like Suncor. Suncor provides great platform for learning and experiencing all different types of oil sands processes.
Awesome group of people to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 12, 2015
Management supports you and works hard to ensure that the department is functioning to its optimum.
A person is fully trained and knowledgeable from various aspects of the position they are hired for.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
Downsizing of many administrative positions
A good place to be
Assistant to Site Director / ILP Coordinator (SAP) (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills projectOctober 7, 2015
Suncor is a great company to work for. Management is fair and co-workers are generally happy.

Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Pays well - (somewhat) flexible manager
Cons
work life balance was tilted
Good Company
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort McmurrayOctober 5, 2015
Good Benefits but lack of direction and clarity of communication. Top management is often confused. Some times too soft on employees
I enjoy what I do
skilled labourer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy the work I have accomplished and efford it took. I believe in in this matfor of.....honest day work for honest day pay
Pros
Think safety be safe
Cons
Dislike winers