Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive & fun Workplace
Consultant, Sustainment Engineering (Utilities) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Best Company I've ever worked for, I'd go back in a heart beat once this Oil price rebounds. I had put 10 years working as a Contractor in different roles for Suncor and truly enjoyed my last 22 months project with my Suncor team.
Pros
Great Company, as a Contractor you almost felt like an Employee
Cons
Slumping WTI price Contractors where always on the chopping block.
I am a team player.Always believe in team building.
Senior Turnover Coordinator (Completion) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Suncor is a big company,but the policies are very bad.They do not know how to retain good hard working people.It is a company for who knows their bosses and how to please them so that they can keep their job safe.
Pros
We are getting lots of tips.
Cons
Still I have not received any phone calls.
Great Place to Work
Process Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Excellent company ,providing lot of Benefits, excellent Salary, So many Safety Training. Lot of Learning, great Team work. Excellent career advancement.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Rotating shifs
Process Operator / Safety Rep (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 17, 2016
A very culture oriented company to work for, very respectful of all employees and was very good at recognizing individuals and their teams for work well done,
Strong Team Work
Health & Safety Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2016
Worked daily with Sales Teams, Health and Safety Team, Administrative team and completed tasks assigned by upper management. Organized monthly conference calls and safety meetings.
Great benefits, leadership needs to be improved
Learning Development (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Suncor is great! However they do not hold people accountable for their actions. Still the same friends and family plan. Its not what you know but who you know. You would think with the experience and knowledge you can advance, but unless you know someone, good luck.
Pros
salary, co-workers, environment
Cons
Leadership, not held accountable
Very good company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 9, 2016
This company provides its interns with full responsibility to take control of their projects. Gives a lot of opportunity to grow technically and inter personally.
Refinery Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Suncor refinery operations is a great place to work. It is shift based 5 on 5 off schedule and the coworkers were exceptional. Being a union position job security is very high.
Pros
Coworkers
Huge company with many avenues for progress
Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer (Reliability) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 1, 2016
Typical day at work involves daily reports, interaction with Operations, Process Engineering, Maintenance. Sometimes with Projects as well
Pros
Bus Transport, Sunsidised tickets to events
Cons
Recognising the skills is not based on the abilities but based on who you know
Great place to work.
Well Site Supervisor Suncor Canada Oil Sands (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 30, 2015
Very safety oriented. Great team leaders. Very organized when it comes to everyone being on the same page. Very few bad examples.
Complicated work place but the job was easy
Tailings Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
Typical day was....
Morning safety meeting. Given job instructions. Get the permit and make sure the lock out procedure was done. Go to the job and do the FLRA. Pre checked all equipment and tools. If everything was safe then we stared work.

Learned...
Good communication is key for a safe work place

Management and co-workers
Good management. Supervisors weren't the best. Always a fight to get things or to make sure everything was safe and they would favour a worker more then others. Co-workers were good.

Hardest part was making sure safety was the number one priority. Production was more important then safety it seemed.

Working with a good crew and sticking together as a team to get things done in a timely manner and making sure its done safely along the way.
Pros
Good team
productive place to work
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 6, 2015
union so training was based on seniority rather then the need. there were shift leagues for sports so that provided a sense of normalcy in the life. there were many employee benefits
Pros
transportation provided to and from work
Cons
buses usually didn't have heat or ac when needed
not the best place to work
Logistics Coordinator/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 3, 2015
very stressful, lots of forced overtime, in my department, extremely bad management, and anyone who complained has been laid off in Supply Chain. My co-workers were awesome and very helpful
Day at work.
Crew Leader/Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 28, 2015
Great work environment and good people on crews. Plenty of room for advancement and always new things to learn with new plants coming online.
Productive, Secure environment
Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer (Reliability) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 27, 2015
Good chance for upgrading our skills; challenging with sophisticated equipment.Huge company with varied equipment to work on
Pros
15 flexible days off in a year, near to home, bus transport
Cons
Long hours sometimes;Old facility is scary to work
Excellent management personell
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ABNovember 23, 2015
The Suncor experience was rewarding both financially and in terms of personal growth. The job as a Quality Assurance Coordinator allowed me to apply the knowledge of my many years as a B pressure welder combined with my education, {WET} allowed me to contribute to Suncor's operation. The personal satisfaction of being able to contribute boosted my self esteem. Showing up for work each day was an adventure because of the range of duties I performed each day, week, year.
Pros
Excellent Accomodations
Cons
Away from home. Not a hardship.
working at suncor, not fun
Condition Monitoring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 12, 2015
as mentioned above won't tell you much about the organization.
They're laying off people like never before.
But yeah suncor got COS shareholders that could be a big whopper.
Pros
strong management
Cons
no life
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Cons
Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2015
I enjoyed working with Suncor and was proud to say that I single handily initiated and executed the DMS workflow at MacKay River plant of Suncor and was able to train both Supervisor, Managers and Directors alike on the functionality of the process as well as training other colleagues to join the crew, in less than a month as again the third of the year which was originally predicted. I take great pleasure and passion when I am working regardless of what responsibility.
Productive place to work with a good co-workers
office services (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 3, 2015
Great place to work with lots of things to keep me busy. Good co-workers and a good work setting. I learned lots from our weekly meetings and how to manage a team of people. The hardest part of the job was taking over for other people because you had to learn their routine usually on the same day. The best part of the job was getting to talk to people and go to multiple areas on site.
Pros
Indoors
Cons
Lots of walking

4.2