Suncor

Suncor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A very Safe Work place
Senior Plant Maintenance (Former Employee), Wilson Creek Gas Plant and Field locationsSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: being able to come home safe everyday
Cons: there were none
A typical day at work involved the maintenance and repair of equipment. Predictive and preventative maintenance disciplines were implemented. I learned oil and Gas process and new control systems. My co-workers were like family and a good team, making the site 45 plus years without a loss time accident.
The hardest part of the job was on rare occasion insufficient parts were shipped to site to complete a task.
The most enjoyable part of the career was being out in the country where I could observe nature at its finest.
Suncor provides an environemnt where capable employees can excel.
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 28, 2013
Suncor is so far the best organization I have worked for. Here we work with a safety mindset, whether on site or in corporate HQs. We respect each other regardless of any background. For me, the hardest part of my job is interpreting Suncor concepts to non-Suncor colleagues. This is especially so due to the sheer number and the vast experience they bring from outside of our industry. My most enjoyable part is finding a better way to operate a business process, in other words, process improvement.
Excellent company to work for
Integration Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 5, 2015
Pros: Interesting and challenging work, good leadership and support
Cons: Job uncertainty with declining markets, increasing job complexity and increased responsibility
Working for Petro-Canada and then later for Suncor when the companies merged was a very positive experience.

I held many different positions over the 9+ years as an employee and also 6 years prior as a contractor.

My final role was spent as a member of an Integration team for Suncor's In Situ Business Unit. This opportunity allowed me to manage, coordinate and contribute to a variety of projects.
Informative and Productive
File Administrator/Auditor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: a lot of physical work
- A typical day at work involved so working on well files, extracting and updating database with well file information,lifting a boxes pulling carts, liaising with different other teams to get information about well files, reading maps, educating newer employees on various work process.
- I learned how to multitask, Auditing various steps of the process, managing a team
- My co-workers were very friendly and hardworking people, working with them was a delight
The hardest part of the job was managing a team while multitasking, and performing other duties.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was auditing
Suncor: Very good place to work
Turnaround Mechanical Engineer in Training (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 13, 2015
Pros: excellent salary package, good experience, good employees
Cons: cold in fort mcmurray
I worked at Suncor as an intern and I had the best time of my life during this one year. The experience was great. Accommodation was provided by the company. There were many young interns and new graduates in the company with weekly events happening at Suncor accommodation.

I had a very good manager and provided excellent mentoring. My mistake was to turn down their offer to hire me as an EIT after graduation. I highly advise joining their new grad or intern programs.
Suncor is a positive and challenging work environment.
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee), EdmontonJune 26, 2015
I have learned a great deal working at Suncor and have kept up with many challenges in my role as a Senior Contract Administrator. A typical day at work is dealing with many Clients and Stakeholders. Expediting requirements for contracts and making sure everyone is getting what they need from Contractors and Vendors. I work with a great team and enjoy being part of a team that works well together. The hardest part of my job is trying to push people to provide what I need to do my job and the most enjoyable part of my job is when a contract is executed and I know I have done my job well.
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons: New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.
Bad benefits, decent salary
Summer Student Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2014
Worked as an operator doing shift work. If your ok with shift work than this is a great job, it's located in the city, easily accessible. Seemed like the employees were not happy about the benefits plan, saying things like Shell and Esso have a much better plan for their employees. Other than that it was a fun place to work, great people to work with, management wasn't really noteworthy. Salary is decent compared to other major companies for operators starting upwards of 85k.
A great place to work, energetic people, with fantastic food and facilities.
Ops / Maintenance Coordinator / Permit Writer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: great food & piecefull sleeps
1) Start at 5:30 and supply all needed documents to trades / workers.
2) Suncor is committed to Safety & it is everyone's responsibility to work together and look out for one another.
3) Management has worked together well with me and my co-workers.
4) Co-workers have been great and work together well.
5) Nothing is difficult about my job. I do wish to go into management.
6) Working with people and solving problems.
Excellent management personell
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee), ABNovember 23, 2015
Pros: Excellent Accomodations
Cons: Away from home. Not a hardship.
The Suncor experience was rewarding both financially and in terms of personal growth. The job as a Quality Assurance Coordinator allowed me to apply the knowledge of my many years as a B pressure welder combined with my education, {WET} allowed me to contribute to Suncor's operation. The personal satisfaction of being able to contribute boosted my self esteem. Showing up for work each day was an adventure because of the range of duties I performed each day, week, year.
Great team efforts get the job done
Process Panel Operator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 20, 2014
A typical day at work will include:

-Co-ordinating and permitting maintenance/operations in maintenance work in the work cycle.

-Adjusting/monitoring process conditions for a 340 kbpd upgrader

-Mentoring of new/learning operators

-Entering work notifications into the SAP system

Great place to work with lots of hands on experience.

Hardest part of the job is long hours, commuting back and forth to work.

Most enjoyable part of the job is being part of a team and accomplishing goals that I couldnt do alone.
Great workplace which has good culture and values on safety.
Oil & Gas Engineering-In-Training (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2013
This was a great place to learn and grow. By working with lots of great subject matter experts and project managers, I gained both technical knowledge and management skills. Co-workers were quite supportive. Manager was able to delegate some challenging tasks while some of them required strong communication skills and strategies. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people here in the company who were genuine, supportive and friendly.
A good place to be
Assistant to Site Director / ILP Coordinator (SAP) (Current Employee), Fort Hills projectOctober 7, 2015
Pros: Pays well - (somewhat) flexible manager
Cons: work life balance was tilted
Suncor is a great company to work for. Management is fair and co-workers are generally happy.

Productive and fun wok place
Device & Integration Operations Analyst (Current Employee), MississugaSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: benefits are only for full time employes
Working at Sucor been a fun journey. I learned a lot about sustainability and reliability.
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2015
I enjoyed working with Suncor and was proud to say that I single handily initiated and executed the DMS workflow at MacKay River plant of Suncor and was able to train both Supervisor, Managers and Directors alike on the functionality of the process as well as training other colleagues to join the crew, in less than a month as again the third of the year which was originally predicted. I take great pleasure and passion when I am working regardless of what responsibility.
Execellent Company with many benifits.
Supervisor/Co-ordinator- Maintenance (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 21, 2013
Pros: monthly bonuses
Cons: 2 hour drive to work.
My job consisted of Supervising a Large contracting Company that were responsible for the maintenance on approxiametly 1300 Cranes and elevators across the oil sands site.
I then reported to a senior supervisor with daily activities and weekly work schedule and everything pertaining to safety and production.

Hardest part of job was having to leave.

The most enjoyable part was working with a company that truely looks after their men.
Highly safety oriented culture with great opportunities for learning
Engineering Co-op - Maintenance & Reliability (Former Employee), St. John's, NLAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Opportunities for advancement
Cons: Higher management keeps changing
You get to learn a lot from people who have tons of experience in the industry. There is freedom to innovate better work processes if you put in the effort. An issue that came up was, due to the company's large size it is hard to maintain effective communication between different departments.
excellent work/life balance with little job security or advancement
Project Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: good compensation
Cons: complex relationship
Suncor is a wealthy company due to it vast oil resources. Its management style is not matching its pace required for its further development. Senior management tends to use various systems to manage this monster organization. That caused lower work efficiency and less human interaction. The senior management doesn't really know what is going on with the working level.
Large company treatment
Capability Development Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: you're just a number
After three and a half years of working at Suncor I applied for a job that I was qualified for but because of my current position I wasn't even interviewed and was told to quit and apply to Suncor again in a year if I wanted that job...?!?! Great way to retain people. I've also noticed policies are grey and it completely depends on the group you're working with more than the company.
Productive & fun Workplace
Consultant, Sustainment Engineering (Utilities) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Great Company, as a Contractor you almost felt like an Employee
Cons: Slumping WTI price Contractors where always on the chopping block.
Best Company I've ever worked for, I'd go back in a heart beat once this Oil price rebounds. I had put 10 years working as a Contractor in different roles for Suncor and truly enjoyed my last 22 months project with my Suncor team.
Headquarters