Suncor Employee Reviews

Suncor is pioneer of oil sands company very bright future
Rotating Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 July 2017
I have a proud to work with Suncor Energy Inc.
Suncor is a company that compensates well and has a great work life balance but does not provide much opportunity for growth and always stay under fear.
Pros
Good people
Cons
poor management
Limited growth opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2017
Suncor still recognizes and promotes based on politics, who you know and relationships with very little consideration for performance, potential and work ethic.

Management is typically skilled when contributing personally to work with little to no aptitude for leading and developing teams. Leader turnover is constant.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Leaders have limited skills for making decisions or developing their teams.
Asset & Operation Strategy Development Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2017
The company gives you what you want to accomplish your work. You can make sure that working there, you will have the support from your management. There are few things that can be improved as all organizations.
Demanding but a fun loving client
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 July 2017
I worked with the global team with most of the resources located in India. As the part of a daily routine I ensured that all work items are tracking according to the schedule, or that the mitigation plans are in place and that the client agrees with the plan. Again, I had a privilege to work with the great individuals, however on many occasions it required an extra effort to clearly understand the team as some spoke with the broken English.
The hardest part of the job was seeing the client not ready to commit to the changes that would benefit the business. The best part was to work with people on the team.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very early meetings due to the team working from India
Good company with good work culture
Project Accountant Coordinator/Acting Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2017
work culture is good and very friendly and supportive work environment. Everyone was in an office instead of cubicles. Career advancement is good and supportive of life long learning.
Productive and great place to work
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2017
Great team work. excellent emphasis on safety.
Learned so much stuff about Piping & Process Piping.
Great culture to work with.
I can't recall any hardest part of the job, everything seems enjoyable.
Fantastic experience working with leading edge and top notch people
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2017
• Leverage microfluidics and data analytics methods to measure relevant Canadian Oil Reservoir fluid properties.
• Design of experiments to measure solubility and diffusion measurement of propane and butane within heavy oil/ bitumen.
• Design and fabrication of a silicon-glass chips, design of experimental setup, collection and analyze the data, regression analysis, and data visualization.
• Responsible for end-to-end data analysis including framing and negotiating analytical objectives with project managers.
• Source relevant data, perform in-depth data analysis and present actionable insights to stakeholders.
Good pay, good shift.
Assistant Engineer (Power Engineer, 4th Class) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 June 2017
If you like money and living in Fort Mcmurray, Suncor is for you. The shift is 6 on/6 off. Company is large and unlikely to file bankruptcy. The company is so large that you could easily fall through the cracks and be forgotten about (this could be good or bad depending on what you want).
Pros
Money.
Cons
Living in Fort McMurray.
Good employer.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 June 2017
I really enjoy working at Suncor. It is a good company to work for with an excellent safety culture. Pay and benefits are top notch. Highly recomended.
A developing oil and gas company
Sr. Production and Completions Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2017
company has good scope of development but young management striving to understand the professionalism to become big oil company and a strong need to understand the value of experience.
Amazing company to work for, especially being a Co-op student
Development Lead - Co-op (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 June 2017
Friendly management made it very easy for students to learn and feel welcomed at Suncor. Competitive salary and great benefits even for students. Was provided with a very nice residence and even a transportation service to and from work.

Would definitely recommend.
Pros
Salary, accomodations
Cons
Excellent place to learn andmake a profesional career
A/P Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2017
Good training programs
I learnt the System SAP
Good benefits program
Excellent security policies

I enjoyed day to day working there under a kindly and challenging environment.
Productive and Friendly workplace
Respiratory Equipment Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 May 2017
In Suncore, everyone was very respectful and was treated equally. If there was any difficult task someone was always there to help. Would love to work again with the team.
Five fatalities in 2014 was an indicator of a culture where what's written and preached is not what's being followed at the working level.
Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2017
There were great intentions and written rules that were by-passed or ignored by middle management. Then there is the so-called operational excellence, which is comparable to propaganda in communism regime.
Great engineering work and opportunity to learn; however, everything that was done was very subjective and tailored to management expectations.
Excellent human resources services, by far the most helpful I have seen.
Worst and dangerous part for the company is the yes culture regardless of technical arguments and written values.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Written and preached values HARDLY followed.
Not a bad place to work for
Contracts Assistant / Admininistrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2017
I worked for them about 5 years.
We had a great management team on the project I was on
Most people were happy and it was a pleasure to go to work
If I would have the possibility I would return
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Huge organization, not easy to advance
Great employee culture with friendly team members
Mechanical Engineering Reliability Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2017
I am very fortunate to have landed my first internship at Suncor and especially my team. I've heard great things about all teams. The work is challenging, full of variety, and there are lots of opportunity to grow from mentors to hands on experience.
Pros
Free Lunches when oil was booming
Cons
No paid vacation for Coop's
There are worse companies to work for
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2017
Generally it's your typical corporate company. The pay, vacation and benefits are competitive although not particularly outstanding. Management, especially middle managers, are generally incompetent due to the company culture.
Development lead
SAP Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2017
I worked for Suncor several times. One of the best clients I've ever worked for. Great place to work, all those involved were great to work with and easy to accomplish great things.
Pros
Great client to work for.
Cons
Not really any cons to speak of.
Good place to work, with nice peoples.
INSPECTION TECHNICIAN (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2017
Its a good place to work for someone who wants do variety of indoor and infield work. I enjoyed my one year Co-Opposition in there very much. I have gained very good knowledge about work in oil refineries. My only complain was long commuting time from Hamilton to Mississauga location.
Pros
Very nice co-workers.
Cons
Long Commuting from hamilton.
Great atmosphere with great co workers
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2017
I currently work in the oil sands here in Alberta,I work 21 days straight 70 hrs a week for the last 6 years. I'm looking for job in Windsor ON to be closer to family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2