Suncor Employee Reviews

Well managed and positioned company with great people
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2016
Overall, Suncor was a great company to work for. I felt the senior management was very transparent and honest during a considerably difficult time for the oil and gas industry.

I had an incredible team of very smart individuals to work with and my lead as well as my manager were people I admire and respect. They really pushed my colleagues and I to constantly progress and expand our knowledge base with the expectation of career advancement.

Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Great people, culture, work/life balance and compensation
Cons
Conflicting desires between groups, reactive responses
Sulphur Recovery Operator
PROCESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 7, 2016
A typical day would involve a routine check of all equipment within the plant, write permits and morning/graveyard meetings.

In the Sulphur Recovery Plant, I learn the process in how to extract Elemental Sulphur out of Hydrogen Sulphide Gas/Water mixtures. Also, How to Operate different H2S extraction systems, take sour samples under SCBA and Start and Shut-Down equipment such Boilers, Furnaces, Pumps and Vessels.

Management was excellent and cared for the growth of their employess. They had an open door policy as well.
Pros
Excellent Work Enviroment
Cons
N?A
Great company to work for
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2016
I resigned from Suncor after a great deal of thought. Both my wife and I have relocated back to our home in Ontario. I really enjoyed my employment at Suncor - had a great crew and everyone including management is committed to safety.

During my time at Suncor I have taken over 60 courses relating to Supervisory skills and safety.
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Long shifts
Great place to learn
Unit Leader and Permit Issuer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 18, 2016
Performing daily duties and rounds while maintaining a stable performance in the plant was quite enjoyable and challenging at times. You learn to take action in emergencies, or from other operators or sometimes have to delegate work. The best part was learning new systems and trying to troubleshoot when problems arose.
Pros
flexibility of hours and colleagues
Cons
long hours and night shifts
Great place to work with amazing people
SR Advisor - Program Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
The people are what makes Suncor a great place to work, the employees are collaborative and amazing to work with. Suncor gives back to the community and for being Canada's largest energy company, still feels like they care about the people.
Great Benefits
Senior Geologist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurraySeptember 4, 2016
Fast paced environment with lots of great challenges and opportunities to gain new skills. Management could use improvement in the areas of communication and employee career development.
Pros
Flex Days
Cons
favouritism displayed among management
Excellent Company with competitive pay and benefits.
Learning & Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2016
Excellent company to work for with competitive compensation and flexible benefit program.

Great opportunities available for educated and skilled individuals.

Leadership is hit & miss - not unlike other large employers.
Good company for young graduates looking to forge a long term career.
General Manager Geo-Services and Mine Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Company provides many opportunities for employees to advance or experience other opportunities within the company. One drawback is that the company is top heavy and administratively burdensome.
Productive and new experience
Mechanical Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 29, 2016
Got to learn a lot about the operations that happen at an oil and gas plant site. Field walkdowns every now and then helped provide knowledge of different mechanical equipment and their purpose in the plant.
Suncor is a proactive company
EH&S Team Lead - Firebag Project (Former Employee) –  Firebag, Fort McMurrayApril 25, 2016
flexible work hours
Excellent managers
Wonderful work life balance
most enjoyable part of the job was the flexible field office time
Hardest part of the job was the ensuring the operation staff were competent
Pros
Field/office time satisfying
Cons
Oil and gas industry is to market dependent
Awesome Company
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 6, 2016
Great People, Interesting Work, Best place for co-op experience. Stayed with other co-ops in the same building. Great opportunity to meet great people and make friends.
Pros
Good pay and great people
Cons
Remote working area
Focused team of professionals. Very effective execution.
Area Turnaround Manager, Core Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 14, 2016
Extremely knowledgeable team to work with in every way. Great group of professionals that have taught me so much. What a place.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long Hours
Project Engineer (OPP) - Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 5, 2016
Nice work. Encouraging bosses. Really help you and guide you in what you want to do and support you in every task. Upper Management is also really supportive and team guide you nicely.
Pros
Cross Functional Teams
Good
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 31, 2016
Good and satisfactory working experience. Given opportunity would consider to work again for this company which is global and diversified. Great benefits and satisfactory compensation
best job ever
EH&S Specialist-Extraction (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 2, 2016
it is a good company to work for the best, the company has the best people and the policy.It was fun to work for them and l will do it again in a heart beat. But this is all l can give now as l need to find a job right away.
Thanks
Pros
Good job
Cons
horrible City
Friendly workplace environment
Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 25, 2016
Best place to work. Employees are skilled and well trained.They are very helpful too.Perfect place for operator training,specially in SAGD operation.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Rotating shift
Fast paced environment
Category Specialist - Food Services CONRET (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 3, 2016
Suncor is a company who takes pride in it's employees in a challenging time. It is a company that is very big into charitable work and giving back to the community. All Suncor employees participate into events within the communities to give back.
Good
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 3, 2016
Good pay, many long hours, unionized, closest to town, lots of overtime, a lot unwanted (forced overtime), lots of holidays, cheap company considering they make a billion dollars a year
Pros
Pay Rate
Ready For Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 9, 2016
Suncor was a great placve to woirk, great people and resources to help resolve issues. Had a variety of roles to expand my knowldege and skills.
Pros
Great culture with emphasis on safety and people
Productive & fun Workplace
Consultant, Sustainment Engineering (Utilities) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Best Company I've ever worked for, I'd go back in a heart beat once this Oil price rebounds. I had put 10 years working as a Contractor in different roles for Suncor and truly enjoyed my last 22 months project with my Suncor team.
Pros
Great Company, as a Contractor you almost felt like an Employee
Cons
Slumping WTI price Contractors where always on the chopping block.

4.2