Suncor Employee Reviews

Great work Environment
Safety Consultant- Contractor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills23 November 2016
My experience is as a contractor working for the GC in secondary extraction.
There is little to no job security in this position.
Project HR needs are heavily effected by current budget goals. Companies are working with fewer employees.
Nepotism and friend of friend process regarding hiring outside contractors is industry standard.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Cons
Limited job security
Productive and fun work place.
Project Controls Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 November 2016
It is a very professional company focused on employee development, training and a high level of service delivery to its customers.
I would like to recomdation to friend
Instrument Technician/ E&I Turnaround Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 October 2016
Nice environment to work , Co workers & lead also experienced and highly motivated, Demonstrate strong individual and team leadership, guided by our values, to strengthen our business and culture, and
•Execute with Operational Discipline - Plan and deliver on commitments and results by doing the right thing, the right way, every time
Fun and had growth
Senior Systems Analyst - Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2016
I really enjoyed the team and atmosphere. I made some very long lasting friendships. Working there felt like I was making a difference.
Suncor review
Maintenance Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 October 2016
-A typical day consisted of: getting to work, having your morning meeting to go over any safety issues and be given work for the day and the off to start your task. The day would progress with working with your crew or on your own depending on the task. You would have to give updates as necessary on how it was going and when jobs are complete let supervision know as well as any necessary quality control and complete necessary paperwork.
- I learned many areas of the extraction plant and how the process worked.
-Management was always available and easy and good to talk to.
-All of my co-workers were great top work with and very friendly.
-The hardest part of the job was just at first learning all the new areas and the people who run them as it is a very big site. But that did not take long to overcome.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the friendly people.
Pros
Very great work environment.
Cons
Big plant so takes a while to learn the area.
Canadian Oilsands
Major Project Strategic Contracts Management (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 October 2016
Being a innovator in Canadian Oilsands, a good opportunity to learn Oilsands business through work and knowledge share, depends on business group in which one is reporting.
Pros
Knowledge gather
Cons
work culture in certain teams
Suncor, a good place to work
Electrical Coordinator Reliability (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 October 2016
I enjoyed working for Suncor and spent close to 10 years there as a contractor before recently being replaced on site. The people I worked with have become my close friends.
Pros
great life balance
Cons
don't have any
Great Work/Life Balance
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2016
Opportunity to move to different areas within the company. Experience easily achieved at the site locations. Different work shifts available (e.g. fly-in / fly-out, 4 x 3)
Too much favoritism
Sr Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 October 2016
Qualification to grow in this organization is you be friend with bosses. go on dinners with them and say yes to everything they say or they label you as arrogant, your talent is secondary.
Pros
good experiance
Cons
worst work culture
Good
Piping Designer/Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
working at Suncor is the besting in my life because all of my co-workers there are very polite and friendly, they always smiling at you specially my Piping Department Manager.
Pros
Free Camp
Cons
long hours and no LOA
productive and fun workplace
Well Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
Excellent management and professional development.
Nice and friendly environment.
you learn lots of technical application.
Too many meeting with the organization
Pros
Free launch
Cons
High volume of work
Best experience ever
Process Engineer UPG 1 (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 September 2016
Working under highly trained people from all backgrounds in a fulfilling role. Few long days however well taken care of.
Pros
Management, people, safety
Cons
Cold winter nights
Focused team of professionals. Very effective execution.
Area Turnaround Manager, Core Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 September 2016
Extremely knowledgeable team to work with in every way. Great group of professionals that have taught me so much. What a place.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long Hours
Awesome Company
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 September 2016
Great People, Interesting Work, Best place for co-op experience. Stayed with other co-ops in the same building. Great opportunity to meet great people and make friends.
Pros
Good pay and great people
Cons
Remote working area
Great Benefits
Senior Geologist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray4 September 2016
Fast paced environment with lots of great challenges and opportunities to gain new skills. Management could use improvement in the areas of communication and employee career development.
Pros
Flex Days
Cons
favouritism displayed among management
Good
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 August 2016
Good and satisfactory working experience. Given opportunity would consider to work again for this company which is global and diversified. Great benefits and satisfactory compensation
Well managed and positioned company with great people
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2016
Overall, Suncor was a great company to work for. I felt the senior management was very transparent and honest during a considerably difficult time for the oil and gas industry.

I had an incredible team of very smart individuals to work with and my lead as well as my manager were people I admire and respect. They really pushed my colleagues and I to constantly progress and expand our knowledge base with the expectation of career advancement.

Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Great people, culture, work/life balance and compensation
Cons
Conflicting desires between groups, reactive responses
Productive and new experience
Mechanical Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 July 2016
Got to learn a lot about the operations that happen at an oil and gas plant site. Field walkdowns every now and then helped provide knowledge of different mechanical equipment and their purpose in the plant.
Great place to work with amazing people
SR Advisor - Program Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
The people are what makes Suncor a great place to work, the employees are collaborative and amazing to work with. Suncor gives back to the community and for being Canada's largest energy company, still feels like they care about the people.
Sulphur Recovery Operator
PROCESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 July 2016
A typical day would involve a routine check of all equipment within the plant, write permits and morning/graveyard meetings.

In the Sulphur Recovery Plant, I learn the process in how to extract Elemental Sulphur out of Hydrogen Sulphide Gas/Water mixtures. Also, How to Operate different H2S extraction systems, take sour samples under SCBA and Start and Shut-Down equipment such Boilers, Furnaces, Pumps and Vessels.

Management was excellent and cared for the growth of their employess. They had an open door policy as well.
Pros
Excellent Work Enviroment
Cons
N?A

4.2