Suncor Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to work for
Contracts Assistant / Admininistrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2017
I worked for them about 5 years.
We had a great management team on the project I was on
Most people were happy and it was a pleasure to go to work
If I would have the possibility I would return
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Huge organization, not easy to advance
Great employee culture with friendly team members
Mechanical Engineering Reliability Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2017
I am very fortunate to have landed my first internship at Suncor and especially my team. I've heard great things about all teams. The work is challenging, full of variety, and there are lots of opportunity to grow from mentors to hands on experience.
Pros
Free Lunches when oil was booming
Cons
No paid vacation for Coop's
There are worse companies to work for
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2017
Generally it's your typical corporate company. The pay, vacation and benefits are competitive although not particularly outstanding. Management, especially middle managers, are generally incompetent due to the company culture.
Development lead
SAP Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2017
I worked for Suncor several times. One of the best clients I've ever worked for. Great place to work, all those involved were great to work with and easy to accomplish great things.
Pros
Great client to work for.
Cons
Not really any cons to speak of.
Good place to work, with nice peoples.
INSPECTION TECHNICIAN (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2017
Its a good place to work for someone who wants do variety of indoor and infield work. I enjoyed my one year Co-Opposition in there very much. I have gained very good knowledge about work in oil refineries. My only complain was long commuting time from Hamilton to Mississauga location.
Pros
Very nice co-workers.
Cons
Long Commuting from hamilton.
Great atmosphere with great co workers
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2017
I currently work in the oil sands here in Alberta,I work 21 days straight 70 hrs a week for the last 6 years. I'm looking for job in Windsor ON to be closer to family.
flexible environment and friendly staff ,
Chemical Technician (Current Employee) –  firebag, fort mcmurray27 April 2017
enjoying working at SAGD plant , always new to learn something , very flexible environment and calm staff , good transportation from work site to village , not tiring , you are very independent to work and also allow to do some research work related to oil and gas.

lot of things to learn by your own .
Pros
flexible break
Cons
limited work
Excellent employer!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  natural gas exploration, Calgary22 April 2017
Absolutely the best, most professional well-educated employer /collegues i've ever had and I miss Suncor and my work-life there very much ... i was involuntary retired due to restructuring.
Pros
Best employer in the country, hands down!
Good pay
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 April 2017
Good pay, the people that we work with are great.. the management and senior management don't care about people. They only care about the bottom line, but they do pay us well :)
Great place to earn experience and take on lots of responsibility
Environmental Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2017
Great place to earn experience and take on lots of responsibility. Many areas to learn and take on new opportunities.

Work life balance has been difficult since the downturn in the economy with oil and gas jobs in the region.
Good place to work within the Oil and Gas industry
SCM Procurement Lead - Fort Hills Project (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
Suncor is a very large company with many different departments, offering a large diversity of skilled and knowledgeable employees. The work culture is very good - you are treated like an adult and you are expected to perform with a high standards. As long as you perform your work well and consistently, you will do well at Suncor
Cons
In some areas you can be expected to work long hours.
Always learning
Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2017
I would walk around the unit looking for anything out of the ordinary. Perform tasks as an operator. Swing pumps, and open and close valves as required.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
You get tired really easily
Great company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 April 2017
Suncor is a great company. They treat their employees well, great benefit programs, employee recognition. Safety and workplace culture was held to a high standard. I loved the people and environment in which I worked in.
Exciting Fast Paced Environment
Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray23 March 2017
Large company with lots of opportunities to gain experience in different areas of the business. Compensation packages are great. I enjoyed the team I worked on and liked my co-workers. Communication between different groups is lacking at times.
Pros
Compensation, challenging/exciting work and projects
Cons
Groups tend to work in silos
Excellent company to work for
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 March 2017
Worked with this company for 25 years. Excellent wages and benefits. Union based (Unifor) which provide excellent oportunities for a wide range of jobs. Company excelled in community programs. Great safety culture and unlimited training programs for employees to help progress their employment.
Pros
Provided transportation to and from work, great pay, exceptional management in most areas
Cons
To many employee layoffs to recoup costs but such is the environment in business.
Flight Department
Senior Captain - CRJ (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
I was a Senior Pilot for both the Airliners and the Corporate Jets, I also headed up the Safety and Emergency Management Team. I worked closely with the Corporate Safety Teams and |Emergency Preparedness Group
Pros
Excellent Senior Management Team, and President.
Cons
Difficult Junior and Mid Management to work for at times.
Exceptional Safety policies. Good work practices and work Culture.
Wellsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills and Firebag Oilsands1 March 2017
Exceptional safety and work procedure policies and certification programs. All projects adhere to OSSA/BSO Safety practices. Excellent management and team leadership. Lock out and tag out policies that provide redundant protection for all workers. This is a fly in Job that works on a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. The company provides vehicles, computers and all the necessary equipment to perform your job.
Happy people at work
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
I enjoyed over all nice place to work, month end are quite busy as usual Fridays are fun-days. Helpful management and very professional environment
Highly political enviroment
SR. ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Home office - Edmonton21 February 2017
Enjoyed the industry I was responsible for. Fantastic clients.

Superior product line.

inexperienced management.

Highly political atmosphere.
Have had 5 great years, project is coming to an end have met some amazing quality people along the way
SCM, Lead Traffic & Logistics coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB19 February 2017
SCM, managed all site traffic through the existing infrastructure, gates and roadways. Managed the delivery of over 1100 Modules on site, OD loads E-houses, Skid modules buildings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2