Suncor Employee Reviews

Have had 5 great years, project is coming to an end have met some amazing quality people along the way
SCM, Lead Traffic & Logistics coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB19 February 2017
SCM, managed all site traffic through the existing infrastructure, gates and roadways. Managed the delivery of over 1100 Modules on site, OD loads E-houses, Skid modules buildings.
Salary and benefits are great, managment not so much
Regulatory Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
There are a lot of really talented, hardworking, nice individuals who work here, but Suncor is constantly reorganizing, which causes a lot of insecurity. There seems to be lots of tension between operations and head office and some people will withhold information and/or bully others because they see good workers as a threat to taking their job.
a great family atmosphere
Response pressure welder, (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 February 2017
Suncor was a great company to work for,I was always in a family orientated atmosphere and i met alot of great friends there.The work was always scoped and planned for moving safely forward...
good money
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
lots of overtime good money great people very flexible with hours as well as some travelling overall great job. all outdoors
Pros
work outdoors in summer
Cons
work outdoors in winter
Poor Management Support
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
The management in this organization says one thing and does not stand behind their words. They do not have your back. When they say, "We'll support you." It is false.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No support for middle management from above.
Good processes, well defined culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
Good support systems, well organized organization. Management is aligned and pay and benefits are decent. Advancement is available and lots of different parts of the organization to learn in
Very high paying job.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 January 2017
Long days, shift work is tough. Workplace is the best. Very hard on the body. Very safety senesitve job and at sometimes scaru.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, shift work
Great money but not worth it
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB19 January 2017
The people I personally dealt with were horrible. I am glad I was only there for 1 shut down otherwise I would have quit. Other than that, I would have stayed because I liked my job.
Pros
Great money
Cons
Horrible people
Great company!
Mine Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2017
Safety oriented top 100 companies in Canada to work for.
Great training and equipment progressive training. 6 six hour shifts work cycle.

Hardest part of the Job was adjusting for night shifts.

Most enjoyable aspect was great employee atmosphere.
Pros
High Wages
Cons
Distance from Ontario where family resided
Great company to work for
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2017
Good place to work with competitive wages. A lot of equipment to work on which gives you a lot of experience with different systems. Lots of bonuses.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Too many hoops to jump through to get work done
Great Team, Great Company, Hard Work
Senior Planner & Scheduler / Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 January 2017
Great place to develop your career
They are so far the best company I have ever worked for!
Management is transparent and shares high-level goals and company changes; they're accessible, and want to see employees succeed. Feedback from managers is a balance of constructive criticism and insight into your strengths, and provides clear direction on how to continue to develop.
Pros
Exciting working environment, constantly learning, positive management, very successful company
World Class Enterprise
RadioTechnician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 January 2017
Maintain Base Plant Trunked Radio system (subscriber and terminal equipment).

Generate/analyze system performance reports for management in order to help predict future requirements.

Competent, professional team.
Great company
QA Manager, In-Situ Operations (Former Employee) –  Firebag12 January 2017
I enjoyed my time with Suncor immensely. It was one of the best places I ever worked. The only reason I left was due to the downturn in the oil patch and the feeling of uncertainty.
Industry leader
C&SU Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2017
Suncor is a company that recognizes and rewards individuals who can maximize their skills while adhering to safe work practices and operational discipline values
Enjoyment of the role depends on the group you're in
Process Technical, Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2017
The company is too variable in the way it's organized. If you are an engineer in training, how much you are developed really depends on your team. I had one role with great teammates and manager that wanted me to be confident in the work I was producing. In another role, I worked 60+ hours a week in a high pressure job that I wasn't well supported in. In that role I had many different groups giving me work, so there was no recognition around how much work I was actually doing. These were both considered "equivalent roles" by the company which they definitely weren't.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
No continuity between groups leads to poor company culture
Excellent team of people to work with
Co-op - UPGRADING - Rotating Equipment (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2017
Extremely fast paced work environment. Time management and quality of work are quite an important part of any project you will be part of in Suncor.

Very supportive colleagues and a friendly work culture exists overall in the organisation.
Great
Contractor Management (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2017
Pockets of excellence but much of the management is of poor quality. Advancement is slow and drawn out. Many processes and policies which slows down production. Lots of double standards.
Pros
Gr
Cons
Poor work life balance
good place to work .
Shift Supervisor / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
good place to work ..
gives a lot of experience and learning for retail management
it is a great learning opportunity for store management like stock taking / inventory management / sales promotions and serving the local neighborhood / community.
Pros
good environment / meeting new customers every day
Cons
late shifts
Excellent company to work with as it offered safe and inviting atmosphere
Autonomous Improvement Specialist (Extraction) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 December 2016
Suncor was an excellent company to work for and the only reason I chose to leave was to stay at home to raise my 2 sons when one on one for a couple of years. Suncor offered to expand on my skill set by training me in the field of CI and lean. I found both my managers to be supportive and encouraging in my skill development and opportunities for growth. I worked with a great group of individuals and stay in close contact with them to this day. The hardest part of the job was infact leaving the company and the role.
Pros
Ability to affect the companies ability to achieve its goals
Cons
The onboarding process was quite overwhelming.
Good company with promising future but mid-level leaders are not great people managers
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
The experience I gained here was great! It is a company with a promising future. To fulfill this potential, they should work on their mid-level leadership (Directors and Managers). Senior leaders at the Executive level sound like they know what they are doing - but many of the Mid-level leaders at Suncor are not good at people leadership. Too much micro-management and favoritism. Approval process is one of the worst I have ever experienced - takes forever to get work done in the corporate office.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Toxic work environment - not a great culture

4.2