Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Great place to learn
Unit Leader and Permit Issuer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 18, 2016
Performing daily duties and rounds while maintaining a stable performance in the plant was quite enjoyable and challenging at times. You learn to take action in emergencies, or from other operators or sometimes have to delegate work. The best part was learning new systems and trying to troubleshoot when problems arose.
Pros
flexibility of hours and colleagues
Cons
long hours and night shifts
Suncor is a proactive company
EH&S Team Lead - Firebag Project (Former Employee) –  Firebag, Fort McMurrayApril 25, 2016
flexible work hours
Excellent managers
Wonderful work life balance
most enjoyable part of the job was the flexible field office time
Hardest part of the job was the ensuring the operation staff were competent
Pros
Field/office time satisfying
Cons
Oil and gas industry is to market dependent
Productive & fun Workplace
Consultant, Sustainment Engineering (Utilities) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Best Company I've ever worked for, I'd go back in a heart beat once this Oil price rebounds. I had put 10 years working as a Contractor in different roles for Suncor and truly enjoyed my last 22 months project with my Suncor team.
Pros
Great Company, as a Contractor you almost felt like an Employee
Cons
Slumping WTI price Contractors where always on the chopping block.
Good company for young graduates looking to forge a long term career.
General Manager Geo-Services and Mine Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Company provides many opportunities for employees to advance or experience other opportunities within the company. One drawback is that the company is top heavy and administratively burdensome.
Great benefits, leadership needs to be improved
Learning Development (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Suncor is great! However they do not hold people accountable for their actions. Still the same friends and family plan. Its not what you know but who you know. You would think with the experience and knowledge you can advance, but unless you know someone, good luck.
Pros
salary, co-workers, environment
Cons
Leadership, not held accountable
I am a team player.Always believe in team building.
Senior Turnover Coordinator (Completion) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Suncor is a big company,but the policies are very bad.They do not know how to retain good hard working people.It is a company for who knows their bosses and how to please them so that they can keep their job safe.
Pros
We are getting lots of tips.
Cons
Still I have not received any phone calls.
Fast paced environment
Category Specialist - Food Services CONRET (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 3, 2016
Suncor is a company who takes pride in it's employees in a challenging time. It is a company that is very big into charitable work and giving back to the community. All Suncor employees participate into events within the communities to give back.
Great company to work for, I would work here again.
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2016
Competitive compensation and benefits package.

Great projects to work on.

Good communication of company direction from Executives.

Well-managed balance sheet, as evidenced in the way the company has weathered the low oil prices to date.
Huge company with many avenues for progress
Senior Rotating Equipment Engineer (Reliability) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 1, 2016
Typical day at work involves daily reports, interaction with Operations, Process Engineering, Maintenance. Sometimes with Projects as well
Pros
Bus Transport, Sunsidised tickets to events
Cons
Recognising the skills is not based on the abilities but based on who you know
Complicated work place but the job was easy
Tailings Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
Typical day was....
Morning safety meeting. Given job instructions. Get the permit and make sure the lock out procedure was done. Go to the job and do the FLRA. Pre checked all equipment and tools. If everything was safe then we stared work.

Learned...
Good communication is key for a safe work place

Management and co-workers
Good management. Supervisors weren't the best. Always a fight to get things or to make sure everything was safe and they would favour a worker more then others. Co-workers were good.

Hardest part was making sure safety was the number one priority. Production was more important then safety it seemed.

Working with a good crew and sticking together as a team to get things done in a timely manner and making sure its done safely along the way.
Pros
Good team
best job ever
EH&S Specialist-Extraction (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 2, 2016
it is a good company to work for the best, the company has the best people and the policy.It was fun to work for them and l will do it again in a heart beat. But this is all l can give now as l need to find a job right away.
Thanks
Pros
Good job
Cons
horrible City
A serious company to work with. Expectations are stated and met by any serious contractor or employee
ECM Sustainment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2016
An innovative company and one who treats employees and contractors with respect. Suncor has a high awareness of safety that is exposed to everyone.
Excellent management personell
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ABNovember 23, 2015
The Suncor experience was rewarding both financially and in terms of personal growth. The job as a Quality Assurance Coordinator allowed me to apply the knowledge of my many years as a B pressure welder combined with my education, {WET} allowed me to contribute to Suncor's operation. The personal satisfaction of being able to contribute boosted my self esteem. Showing up for work each day was an adventure because of the range of duties I performed each day, week, year.
Pros
Excellent Accomodations
Cons
Away from home. Not a hardship.
all amenities on site
General Labourer for MML (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 13, 2016
working backshift was busy but with all required tools available for use made job easy. Morale was good team worked well to accomplish employers expectations
Pros
all required was available
Cons
being so far away from family
Mediocre at best
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2016
This is a Middle rated company. I have worked for better.
Located in Edmonton is great...but the Salary Positions have No overtime pay; yet you are EXPECTED to work Overtime during Turnarounds.
Pros
Cons
No Overtime Pay for Overtime work.
To much red tape to deal with on a daily basis
Maintenance supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2016
To many expectations put on the supervisors and none on the workers or management. Trying to drive a safe culture down peoples throat and not letting people think for themselves.
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator
Document Management System (DMS) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 6, 2015
I enjoyed working with Suncor and was proud to say that I single handily initiated and executed the DMS workflow at MacKay River plant of Suncor and was able to train both Supervisor, Managers and Directors alike on the functionality of the process as well as training other colleagues to join the crew, in less than a month as again the third of the year which was originally predicted. I take great pleasure and passion when I am working regardless of what responsibility.
productive interesting
Electrical Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Long hours but busy
good people to work with
good pay and good life balance 14/14
Inspection of Off- Site Fab work prior to the equipment shipping to site.
 Conducting risk hazard analysis with the operations team for work in areas that are deemed to be high risk. i.e. tie-ins to or within live operations.
 Support as relates to technical field inquiries from Vendors, Construction QC and the
Onsite Automation Group.
 Monitoring of pertinent project transmittals i.e. (NCR’s, RFI’s, FCN’s etc.) to determine their impact on the CSU turnover timeline.
 Monitor construction progress reports, particularly on time critical work like major turnarounds or area specific outages.
 Initiating RFI’s to address any design/engineering changes, that may be required during the startup process
 Review new system requirements with the reliability group, providing them with field support on equipment run-ins and recommendation of new equipment spares
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Cons
Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Productive place to work with a good co-workers
office services (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABNovember 3, 2015
Great place to work with lots of things to keep me busy. Good co-workers and a good work setting. I learned lots from our weekly meetings and how to manage a team of people. The hardest part of the job was taking over for other people because you had to learn their routine usually on the same day. The best part of the job was getting to talk to people and go to multiple areas on site.
Pros
Indoors
Cons
Lots of walking