Suncor Employee Reviews

Best experience ever
Process Engineer UPG 1 (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 26, 2016
Working under highly trained people from all backgrounds in a fulfilling role. Few long days however well taken care of.
Pros
Management, people, safety
Cons
Cold winter nights
Focused team of professionals. Very effective execution.
Area Turnaround Manager, Core Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 14, 2016
Extremely knowledgeable team to work with in every way. Great group of professionals that have taught me so much. What a place.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long Hours
Awesome Company
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 6, 2016
Great People, Interesting Work, Best place for co-op experience. Stayed with other co-ops in the same building. Great opportunity to meet great people and make friends.
Pros
Good pay and great people
Cons
Remote working area
Great Benefits
Senior Geologist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurraySeptember 4, 2016
Fast paced environment with lots of great challenges and opportunities to gain new skills. Management could use improvement in the areas of communication and employee career development.
Pros
Flex Days
Cons
favouritism displayed among management
Good
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 31, 2016
Good and satisfactory working experience. Given opportunity would consider to work again for this company which is global and diversified. Great benefits and satisfactory compensation
Well managed and positioned company with great people
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2016
Overall, Suncor was a great company to work for. I felt the senior management was very transparent and honest during a considerably difficult time for the oil and gas industry.

I had an incredible team of very smart individuals to work with and my lead as well as my manager were people I admire and respect. They really pushed my colleagues and I to constantly progress and expand our knowledge base with the expectation of career advancement.

Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Great people, culture, work/life balance and compensation
Cons
Conflicting desires between groups, reactive responses
Productive and new experience
Mechanical Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 29, 2016
Got to learn a lot about the operations that happen at an oil and gas plant site. Field walkdowns every now and then helped provide knowledge of different mechanical equipment and their purpose in the plant.
Great place to work with amazing people
SR Advisor - Program Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
The people are what makes Suncor a great place to work, the employees are collaborative and amazing to work with. Suncor gives back to the community and for being Canada's largest energy company, still feels like they care about the people.
Sulphur Recovery Operator
PROCESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 7, 2016
A typical day would involve a routine check of all equipment within the plant, write permits and morning/graveyard meetings.

In the Sulphur Recovery Plant, I learn the process in how to extract Elemental Sulphur out of Hydrogen Sulphide Gas/Water mixtures. Also, How to Operate different H2S extraction systems, take sour samples under SCBA and Start and Shut-Down equipment such Boilers, Furnaces, Pumps and Vessels.

Management was excellent and cared for the growth of their employess. They had an open door policy as well.
Pros
Excellent Work Enviroment
Cons
N?A
Project Engineer (OPP) - Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 5, 2016
Nice work. Encouraging bosses. Really help you and guide you in what you want to do and support you in every task. Upper Management is also really supportive and team guide you nicely.
Pros
Cross Functional Teams
Good
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 3, 2016
Good pay, many long hours, unionized, closest to town, lots of overtime, a lot unwanted (forced overtime), lots of holidays, cheap company considering they make a billion dollars a year
Pros
Pay Rate
Cons
Great company, superb work/life balance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 29, 2016
Great people and ability to have a work-life balance. Work was rewarding but not always as challenging depending on the position.
Friendly workplace environment
Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 25, 2016
Best place to work. Employees are skilled and well trained.They are very helpful too.Perfect place for operator training,specially in SAGD operation.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Rotating shift
Great company to work for
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2016
I resigned from Suncor after a great deal of thought. Both my wife and I have relocated back to our home in Ontario. I really enjoyed my employment at Suncor - had a great crew and everyone including management is committed to safety.

During my time at Suncor I have taken over 60 courses relating to Supervisory skills and safety.
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Long shifts
Excellent Company with competitive pay and benefits.
Learning & Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2016
Excellent company to work for with competitive compensation and flexible benefit program.

Great opportunities available for educated and skilled individuals.

Leadership is hit & miss - not unlike other large employers.
Busy but Rewarding
Turnaround Instrumentation Coordinator, Upgrader (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 12, 2016
Good Place to Work, only people really hiring in Fort McMurray for the oil sands plants. Closet site to town so its a quick drive.
Ready For Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 9, 2016
Suncor was a great placve to woirk, great people and resources to help resolve issues. Had a variety of roles to expand my knowldege and skills.
Pros
Great culture with emphasis on safety and people
great people, very good benefits
Financial Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 4, 2016
Working at Suncor was a great experience! I learned a lot to be collaborative. Management are very friendly and does not treat you as employee.
offshore life
Acting Vessel Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 26, 2016
This job requires a certain person to work in the offshore environment for 21 days at atime. Great learning experience. Working on an FPSO is a challenging career
Good company for young graduates looking to forge a long term career.
General Manager Geo-Services and Mine Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Company provides many opportunities for employees to advance or experience other opportunities within the company. One drawback is that the company is top heavy and administratively burdensome.

4.2