Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

Well managed and positioned company with great people
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2016
Overall, Suncor was a great company to work for. I felt the senior management was very transparent and honest during a considerably difficult time for the oil and gas industry.

I had an incredible team of very smart individuals to work with and my lead as well as my manager were people I admire and respect. They really pushed my colleagues and I to constantly progress and expand our knowledge base with the expectation of career advancement.

Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Great people, culture, work/life balance and compensation
Cons
Conflicting desires between groups, reactive responses
Sulphur Recovery Operator
PROCESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 7, 2016
A typical day would involve a routine check of all equipment within the plant, write permits and morning/graveyard meetings.

In the Sulphur Recovery Plant, I learn the process in how to extract Elemental Sulphur out of Hydrogen Sulphide Gas/Water mixtures. Also, How to Operate different H2S extraction systems, take sour samples under SCBA and Start and Shut-Down equipment such Boilers, Furnaces, Pumps and Vessels.

Management was excellent and cared for the growth of their employess. They had an open door policy as well.
Pros
Excellent Work Enviroment
Cons
N?A
Great company to work for
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2016
I resigned from Suncor after a great deal of thought. Both my wife and I have relocated back to our home in Ontario. I really enjoyed my employment at Suncor - had a great crew and everyone including management is committed to safety.

During my time at Suncor I have taken over 60 courses relating to Supervisory skills and safety.
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Long shifts
Great place to learn
Unit Leader and Permit Issuer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 18, 2016
Performing daily duties and rounds while maintaining a stable performance in the plant was quite enjoyable and challenging at times. You learn to take action in emergencies, or from other operators or sometimes have to delegate work. The best part was learning new systems and trying to troubleshoot when problems arose.
Pros
flexibility of hours and colleagues
Cons
long hours and night shifts
Great place to work with amazing people
SR Advisor - Program Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
The people are what makes Suncor a great place to work, the employees are collaborative and amazing to work with. Suncor gives back to the community and for being Canada's largest energy company, still feels like they care about the people.
Suncor is a proactive company
EH&S Team Lead - Firebag Project (Former Employee) –  Firebag, Fort McMurrayApril 25, 2016
flexible work hours
Excellent managers
Wonderful work life balance
most enjoyable part of the job was the flexible field office time
Hardest part of the job was the ensuring the operation staff were competent
Pros
Field/office time satisfying
Cons
Oil and gas industry is to market dependent
Good company for young graduates looking to forge a long term career.
General Manager Geo-Services and Mine Planning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Company provides many opportunities for employees to advance or experience other opportunities within the company. One drawback is that the company is top heavy and administratively burdensome.
Excellent Company with competitive pay and benefits.
Learning & Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2016
Excellent company to work for with competitive compensation and flexible benefit program.

Great opportunities available for educated and skilled individuals.

Leadership is hit & miss - not unlike other large employers.
Productive and new experience
Mechanical Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 29, 2016
Got to learn a lot about the operations that happen at an oil and gas plant site. Field walkdowns every now and then helped provide knowledge of different mechanical equipment and their purpose in the plant.
Project Engineer (OPP) - Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 5, 2016
Nice work. Encouraging bosses. Really help you and guide you in what you want to do and support you in every task. Upper Management is also really supportive and team guide you nicely.
Pros
Cross Functional Teams
Fast paced environment
Category Specialist - Food Services CONRET (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 3, 2016
Suncor is a company who takes pride in it's employees in a challenging time. It is a company that is very big into charitable work and giving back to the community. All Suncor employees participate into events within the communities to give back.
best job ever
EH&S Specialist-Extraction (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 2, 2016
it is a good company to work for the best, the company has the best people and the policy.It was fun to work for them and l will do it again in a heart beat. But this is all l can give now as l need to find a job right away.
Thanks
Pros
Good job
Cons
horrible City
Productive & fun Workplace
Consultant, Sustainment Engineering (Utilities) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Best Company I've ever worked for, I'd go back in a heart beat once this Oil price rebounds. I had put 10 years working as a Contractor in different roles for Suncor and truly enjoyed my last 22 months project with my Suncor team.
Pros
Great Company, as a Contractor you almost felt like an Employee
Cons
Slumping WTI price Contractors where always on the chopping block.
Friendly workplace environment
Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 25, 2016
Best place to work. Employees are skilled and well trained.They are very helpful too.Perfect place for operator training,specially in SAGD operation.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Rotating shift
Ready For Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 9, 2016
Suncor was a great placve to woirk, great people and resources to help resolve issues. Had a variety of roles to expand my knowldege and skills.
Pros
Great culture with emphasis on safety and people
Great company to work for, I would work here again.
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2016
Competitive compensation and benefits package.

Great projects to work on.

Good communication of company direction from Executives.

Well-managed balance sheet, as evidenced in the way the company has weathered the low oil prices to date.
Good
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 3, 2016
Good pay, many long hours, unionized, closest to town, lots of overtime, a lot unwanted (forced overtime), lots of holidays, cheap company considering they make a billion dollars a year
Pros
Pay Rate
all amenities on site
General Labourer for MML (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 13, 2016
working backshift was busy but with all required tools available for use made job easy. Morale was good team worked well to accomplish employers expectations
Pros
all required was available
Cons
being so far away from family
To much red tape to deal with on a daily basis
Maintenance supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2016
To many expectations put on the supervisors and none on the workers or management. Trying to drive a safe culture down peoples throat and not letting people think for themselves.
A serious company to work with. Expectations are stated and met by any serious contractor or employee
ECM Sustainment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2016
An innovative company and one who treats employees and contractors with respect. Suncor has a high awareness of safety that is exposed to everyone.

4.2