Suncor Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work with as it offered safe and inviting atmosphere
Autonomous Improvement Specialist (Extraction) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 December 2016
Suncor was an excellent company to work for and the only reason I chose to leave was to stay at home to raise my 2 sons when one on one for a couple of years. Suncor offered to expand on my skill set by training me in the field of CI and lean. I found both my managers to be supportive and encouraging in my skill development and opportunities for growth. I worked with a great group of individuals and stay in close contact with them to this day. The hardest part of the job was infact leaving the company and the role.
Pros
Ability to affect the companies ability to achieve its goals
Cons
The onboarding process was quite overwhelming.
Enjoyment of the role depends on the group you're in
Process Technical, Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2017
The company is too variable in the way it's organized. If you are an engineer in training, how much you are developed really depends on your team. I had one role with great teammates and manager that wanted me to be confident in the work I was producing. In another role, I worked 60+ hours a week in a high pressure job that I wasn't well supported in. In that role I had many different groups giving me work, so there was no recognition around how much work I was actually doing. These were both considered "equivalent roles" by the company which they definitely weren't.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
No continuity between groups leads to poor company culture
Good company with promising future but mid-level leaders are not great people managers
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
The experience I gained here was great! It is a company with a promising future. To fulfill this potential, they should work on their mid-level leadership (Directors and Managers). Senior leaders at the Executive level sound like they know what they are doing - but many of the Mid-level leaders at Suncor are not good at people leadership. Too much micro-management and favoritism. Approval process is one of the worst I have ever experienced - takes forever to get work done in the corporate office.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Toxic work environment - not a great culture
Excellent company to work for
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 March 2017
Worked with this company for 25 years. Excellent wages and benefits. Union based (Unifor) which provide excellent oportunities for a wide range of jobs. Company excelled in community programs. Great safety culture and unlimited training programs for employees to help progress their employment.
Pros
Provided transportation to and from work, great pay, exceptional management in most areas
Cons
To many employee layoffs to recoup costs but such is the environment in business.
Well managed and positioned company with great people
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2016
Overall, Suncor was a great company to work for. I felt the senior management was very transparent and honest during a considerably difficult time for the oil and gas industry.

I had an incredible team of very smart individuals to work with and my lead as well as my manager were people I admire and respect. They really pushed my colleagues and I to constantly progress and expand our knowledge base with the expectation of career advancement.

Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Great people, culture, work/life balance and compensation
Cons
Conflicting desires between groups, reactive responses
Exciting Fast Paced Environment
Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray23 March 2017
Large company with lots of opportunities to gain experience in different areas of the business. Compensation packages are great. I enjoyed the team I worked on and liked my co-workers. Communication between different groups is lacking at times.
Pros
Compensation, challenging/exciting work and projects
Cons
Groups tend to work in silos
Good processes, well defined culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
Good support systems, well organized organization. Management is aligned and pay and benefits are decent. Advancement is available and lots of different parts of the organization to learn in
Poor Management Support
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
The management in this organization says one thing and does not stand behind their words. They do not have your back. When they say, "We'll support you." It is false.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No support for middle management from above.
Great company to work for
Heavy Equipment Operator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 December 2016
Suncor treat their employees well, benefits are second to none but living in Fort Mac, most people don't like. We lived in Timberlea and it work a good area to live in, wee didn't frequent bars either so never ran into the trouble you always hear about.
Great Team, Great Company, Hard Work
Senior Planner & Scheduler / Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 January 2017
Great place to develop your career
They are so far the best company I have ever worked for!
Management is transparent and shares high-level goals and company changes; they're accessible, and want to see employees succeed. Feedback from managers is a balance of constructive criticism and insight into your strengths, and provides clear direction on how to continue to develop.
Pros
Exciting working environment, constantly learning, positive management, very successful company
Great
Contractor Management (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2017
Pockets of excellence but much of the management is of poor quality. Advancement is slow and drawn out. Many processes and policies which slows down production. Lots of double standards.
Pros
Gr
Cons
Poor work life balance
Good
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 August 2016
Good and satisfactory working experience. Given opportunity would consider to work again for this company which is global and diversified. Great benefits and satisfactory compensation
Excellent Company with competitive pay and benefits.
Learning & Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2016
Excellent company to work for with competitive compensation and flexible benefit program.

Great opportunities available for educated and skilled individuals.

Leadership is hit & miss - not unlike other large employers.
good place to work .
Shift Supervisor / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
good place to work ..
gives a lot of experience and learning for retail management
it is a great learning opportunity for store management like stock taking / inventory management / sales promotions and serving the local neighborhood / community.
Pros
good environment / meeting new customers every day
Cons
late shifts
Great work Environment
Safety Consultant- Contractor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills23 November 2016
My experience is as a contractor working for the GC in secondary extraction.
There is little to no job security in this position.
Project HR needs are heavily effected by current budget goals. Companies are working with fewer employees.
Nepotism and friend of friend process regarding hiring outside contractors is industry standard.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Cons
Limited job security
Exceptional Safety policies. Good work practices and work Culture.
Wellsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills and Firebag Oilsands1 March 2017
Exceptional safety and work procedure policies and certification programs. All projects adhere to OSSA/BSO Safety practices. Excellent management and team leadership. Lock out and tag out policies that provide redundant protection for all workers. This is a fly in Job that works on a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. The company provides vehicles, computers and all the necessary equipment to perform your job.
Suncor review
Maintenance Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 October 2016
-A typical day consisted of: getting to work, having your morning meeting to go over any safety issues and be given work for the day and the off to start your task. The day would progress with working with your crew or on your own depending on the task. You would have to give updates as necessary on how it was going and when jobs are complete let supervision know as well as any necessary quality control and complete necessary paperwork.
- I learned many areas of the extraction plant and how the process worked.
-Management was always available and easy and good to talk to.
-All of my co-workers were great top work with and very friendly.
-The hardest part of the job was just at first learning all the new areas and the people who run them as it is a very big site. But that did not take long to overcome.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the friendly people.
Pros
Very great work environment.
Cons
Big plant so takes a while to learn the area.
Excellent team of people to work with
Co-op - UPGRADING - Rotating Equipment (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2017
Extremely fast paced work environment. Time management and quality of work are quite an important part of any project you will be part of in Suncor.

Very supportive colleagues and a friendly work culture exists overall in the organisation.
Good
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 July 2016
Good pay, many long hours, unionized, closest to town, lots of overtime, a lot unwanted (forced overtime), lots of holidays, cheap company considering they make a billion dollars a year
Pros
Pay Rate
Flight Department
Senior Captain - CRJ (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
I was a Senior Pilot for both the Airliners and the Corporate Jets, I also headed up the Safety and Emergency Management Team. I worked closely with the Corporate Safety Teams and |Emergency Preparedness Group
Pros
Excellent Senior Management Team, and President.
Cons
Difficult Junior and Mid Management to work for at times.

4.2