Suncor Employee Reviews

Fantastic experience working with leading edge and top notch people
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2017
• Leverage microfluidics and data analytics methods to measure relevant Canadian Oil Reservoir fluid properties.
• Design of experiments to measure solubility and diffusion measurement of propane and butane within heavy oil/ bitumen.
• Design and fabrication of a silicon-glass chips, design of experimental setup, collection and analyze the data, regression analysis, and data visualization.
• Responsible for end-to-end data analysis including framing and negotiating analytical objectives with project managers.
• Source relevant data, perform in-depth data analysis and present actionable insights to stakeholders.
Good pay, good shift.
Assistant Engineer (Power Engineer, 4th Class) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 June 2017
If you like money and living in Fort Mcmurray, Suncor is for you. The shift is 6 on/6 off. Company is large and unlikely to file bankruptcy. The company is so large that you could easily fall through the cracks and be forgotten about (this could be good or bad depending on what you want).
Pros
Money.
Cons
Living in Fort McMurray.
Good employer.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 June 2017
I really enjoy working at Suncor. It is a good company to work for with an excellent safety culture. Pay and benefits are top notch. Highly recomended.
A developing oil and gas company
Sr. Production and Completions Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2017
company has good scope of development but young management striving to understand the professionalism to become big oil company and a strong need to understand the value of experience.
Amazing company to work for, especially being a Co-op student
Development Lead - Co-op (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 June 2017
Friendly management made it very easy for students to learn and feel welcomed at Suncor. Competitive salary and great benefits even for students. Was provided with a very nice residence and even a transportation service to and from work.

Would definitely recommend.
Pros
Salary, accomodations
Cons
Excellent place to learn andmake a profesional career
A/P Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2017
Good training programs
I learnt the System SAP
Good benefits program
Excellent security policies

I enjoyed day to day working there under a kindly and challenging environment.
Productive and Friendly workplace
Respiratory Equipment Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 May 2017
In Suncore, everyone was very respectful and was treated equally. If there was any difficult task someone was always there to help. Would love to work again with the team.
Five fatalities in 2014 was an indicator of a culture where what's written and preached is not what's being followed at the working level.
Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2017
There were great intentions and written rules that were by-passed or ignored by middle management. Then there is the so-called operational excellence, which is comparable to propaganda in communism regime.
Great engineering work and opportunity to learn; however, everything that was done was very subjective and tailored to management expectations.
Excellent human resources services, by far the most helpful I have seen.
Worst and dangerous part for the company is the yes culture regardless of technical arguments and written values.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Written and preached values HARDLY followed.
Not a bad place to work for
Contracts Assistant / Admininistrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2017
I worked for them about 5 years.
We had a great management team on the project I was on
Most people were happy and it was a pleasure to go to work
If I would have the possibility I would return
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Huge organization, not easy to advance
Great employee culture with friendly team members
Mechanical Engineering Reliability Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2017
I am very fortunate to have landed my first internship at Suncor and especially my team. I've heard great things about all teams. The work is challenging, full of variety, and there are lots of opportunity to grow from mentors to hands on experience.
Pros
Free Lunches when oil was booming
Cons
No paid vacation for Coop's
There are worse companies to work for
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2017
Generally it's your typical corporate company. The pay, vacation and benefits are competitive although not particularly outstanding. Management, especially middle managers, are generally incompetent due to the company culture.
Development lead
SAP Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2017
I worked for Suncor several times. One of the best clients I've ever worked for. Great place to work, all those involved were great to work with and easy to accomplish great things.
Pros
Great client to work for.
Cons
Not really any cons to speak of.
Good place to work, with nice peoples.
INSPECTION TECHNICIAN (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2017
Its a good place to work for someone who wants do variety of indoor and infield work. I enjoyed my one year Co-Opposition in there very much. I have gained very good knowledge about work in oil refineries. My only complain was long commuting time from Hamilton to Mississauga location.
Pros
Very nice co-workers.
Cons
Long Commuting from hamilton.
Great atmosphere with great co workers
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2017
I currently work in the oil sands here in Alberta,I work 21 days straight 70 hrs a week for the last 6 years. I'm looking for job in Windsor ON to be closer to family.
flexible environment and friendly staff ,
Chemical Technician (Current Employee) –  firebag, fort mcmurray27 April 2017
enjoying working at SAGD plant , always new to learn something , very flexible environment and calm staff , good transportation from work site to village , not tiring , you are very independent to work and also allow to do some research work related to oil and gas.

lot of things to learn by your own .
Pros
flexible break
Cons
limited work
Excellent employer!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  natural gas exploration, Calgary22 April 2017
Absolutely the best, most professional well-educated employer /collegues i've ever had and I miss Suncor and my work-life there very much ... i was involuntary retired due to restructuring.
Pros
Best employer in the country, hands down!
Good pay
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 April 2017
Good pay, the people that we work with are great.. the management and senior management don't care about people. They only care about the bottom line, but they do pay us well :)
Great place to earn experience and take on lots of responsibility
Environmental Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2017
Great place to earn experience and take on lots of responsibility. Many areas to learn and take on new opportunities.

Work life balance has been difficult since the downturn in the economy with oil and gas jobs in the region.
Good place to work within the Oil and Gas industry
SCM Procurement Lead - Fort Hills Project (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
Suncor is a very large company with many different departments, offering a large diversity of skilled and knowledgeable employees. The work culture is very good - you are treated like an adult and you are expected to perform with a high standards. As long as you perform your work well and consistently, you will do well at Suncor
Cons
In some areas you can be expected to work long hours.
Always learning
Student Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2017
I would walk around the unit looking for anything out of the ordinary. Perform tasks as an operator. Swing pumps, and open and close valves as required.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
You get tired really easily

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2