Suncor Employee Reviews

Great money but not worth it
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB19 January 2017
The people I personally dealt with were horrible. I am glad I was only there for 1 shut down otherwise I would have quit. Other than that, I would have stayed because I liked my job.
Pros
Great money
Cons
Horrible people
Great company!
Mine Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2017
Safety oriented top 100 companies in Canada to work for.
Great training and equipment progressive training. 6 six hour shifts work cycle.

Hardest part of the Job was adjusting for night shifts.

Most enjoyable aspect was great employee atmosphere.
Pros
High Wages
Cons
Distance from Ontario where family resided
Great company to work for
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2017
Good place to work with competitive wages. A lot of equipment to work on which gives you a lot of experience with different systems. Lots of bonuses.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Too many hoops to jump through to get work done
Great Team, Great Company, Hard Work
Senior Planner & Scheduler / Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 January 2017
Great place to develop your career
They are so far the best company I have ever worked for!
Management is transparent and shares high-level goals and company changes; they're accessible, and want to see employees succeed. Feedback from managers is a balance of constructive criticism and insight into your strengths, and provides clear direction on how to continue to develop.
Pros
Exciting working environment, constantly learning, positive management, very successful company
World Class Enterprise
RadioTechnician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 January 2017
Maintain Base Plant Trunked Radio system (subscriber and terminal equipment).

Generate/analyze system performance reports for management in order to help predict future requirements.

Competent, professional team.
Great company
QA Manager, In-Situ Operations (Former Employee) –  Firebag12 January 2017
I enjoyed my time with Suncor immensely. It was one of the best places I ever worked. The only reason I left was due to the downturn in the oil patch and the feeling of uncertainty.
Industry leader
C&SU Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 January 2017
Suncor is a company that recognizes and rewards individuals who can maximize their skills while adhering to safe work practices and operational discipline values
Enjoyment of the role depends on the group you're in
Process Technical, Engineer In Training (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2017
The company is too variable in the way it's organized. If you are an engineer in training, how much you are developed really depends on your team. I had one role with great teammates and manager that wanted me to be confident in the work I was producing. In another role, I worked 60+ hours a week in a high pressure job that I wasn't well supported in. In that role I had many different groups giving me work, so there was no recognition around how much work I was actually doing. These were both considered "equivalent roles" by the company which they definitely weren't.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
No continuity between groups leads to poor company culture
Excellent team of people to work with
Co-op - UPGRADING - Rotating Equipment (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2017
Extremely fast paced work environment. Time management and quality of work are quite an important part of any project you will be part of in Suncor.

Very supportive colleagues and a friendly work culture exists overall in the organisation.
Great
Contractor Management (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 January 2017
Pockets of excellence but much of the management is of poor quality. Advancement is slow and drawn out. Many processes and policies which slows down production. Lots of double standards.
Pros
Gr
Cons
Poor work life balance
good place to work .
Shift Supervisor / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2016
good place to work ..
gives a lot of experience and learning for retail management
it is a great learning opportunity for store management like stock taking / inventory management / sales promotions and serving the local neighborhood / community.
Pros
good environment / meeting new customers every day
Cons
late shifts
Excellent company to work with as it offered safe and inviting atmosphere
Autonomous Improvement Specialist (Extraction) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 December 2016
Suncor was an excellent company to work for and the only reason I chose to leave was to stay at home to raise my 2 sons when one on one for a couple of years. Suncor offered to expand on my skill set by training me in the field of CI and lean. I found both my managers to be supportive and encouraging in my skill development and opportunities for growth. I worked with a great group of individuals and stay in close contact with them to this day. The hardest part of the job was infact leaving the company and the role.
Pros
Ability to affect the companies ability to achieve its goals
Cons
The onboarding process was quite overwhelming.
Good company with promising future but mid-level leaders are not great people managers
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
The experience I gained here was great! It is a company with a promising future. To fulfill this potential, they should work on their mid-level leadership (Directors and Managers). Senior leaders at the Executive level sound like they know what they are doing - but many of the Mid-level leaders at Suncor are not good at people leadership. Too much micro-management and favoritism. Approval process is one of the worst I have ever experienced - takes forever to get work done in the corporate office.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Toxic work environment - not a great culture
great environment
2ndYear Apprentice Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2016
Great shifts and great journeymen who love to teach
I've learning a lot about pumps when doing overhauls
I also learned how westfalia seprators work and how to maintain them
Pros
very safety oriented
A great & safe place to work
Drilling Consultant/Drilling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MacKay River, Meadow Creek, Firebag12 December 2016
The SAGD drilling projects were fun & easy to complete. However, the acquisition of the Canadian Oilsands company may have taken a toll on Suncor's drilling budget in the oilsands.
Pros
Flights to & from work every hitch
Cons
Far from home
Great company to work for
Heavy Equipment Operator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 December 2016
Suncor treat their employees well, benefits are second to none but living in Fort Mac, most people don't like. We lived in Timberlea and it work a good area to live in, wee didn't frequent bars either so never ran into the trouble you always hear about.
Great work Environment
Safety Consultant- Contractor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills23 November 2016
My experience is as a contractor working for the GC in secondary extraction.
There is little to no job security in this position.
Project HR needs are heavily effected by current budget goals. Companies are working with fewer employees.
Nepotism and friend of friend process regarding hiring outside contractors is industry standard.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Cons
Limited job security
Productive and fun work place.
Project Controls Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 November 2016
It is a very professional company focused on employee development, training and a high level of service delivery to its customers.
I would like to recomdation to friend
Instrument Technician/ E&I Turnaround Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 October 2016
Nice environment to work , Co workers & lead also experienced and highly motivated, Demonstrate strong individual and team leadership, guided by our values, to strengthen our business and culture, and
•Execute with Operational Discipline - Plan and deliver on commitments and results by doing the right thing, the right way, every time
Fun and had growth
Senior Systems Analyst - Helpdesk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2016
I really enjoyed the team and atmosphere. I made some very long lasting friendships. Working there felt like I was making a difference.

4.2