Suncor Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 25, 2016
Great benefits with lots of room for promotion. Great safety culture; with lots of support from managers.

I have learned a lot here.
Pros
Great safety culture
Cons
Great company to work for, I would work here again.
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2016
Competitive compensation and benefits package.

Great projects to work on.

Good communication of company direction from Executives.

Well-managed balance sheet, as evidenced in the way the company has weathered the low oil prices to date.
Complicated work place but the job was easy
Tailings Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
Typical day was....
Morning safety meeting. Given job instructions. Get the permit and make sure the lock out procedure was done. Go to the job and do the FLRA. Pre checked all equipment and tools. If everything was safe then we stared work.

Learned...
Good communication is key for a safe work place

Management and co-workers
Good management. Supervisors weren't the best. Always a fight to get things or to make sure everything was safe and they would favour a worker more then others. Co-workers were good.

Hardest part was making sure safety was the number one priority. Production was more important then safety it seemed.

Working with a good crew and sticking together as a team to get things done in a timely manner and making sure its done safely along the way.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Well managed and positioned company with great people
Project Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 4, 2016
Overall, Suncor was a great company to work for. I felt the senior management was very transparent and honest during a considerably difficult time for the oil and gas industry.

I had an incredible team of very smart individuals to work with and my lead as well as my manager were people I admire and respect. They really pushed my colleagues and I to constantly progress and expand our knowledge base with the expectation of career advancement.

Highly recommend this company.
Pros
Great people, culture, work/life balance and compensation
Cons
Conflicting desires between groups, reactive responses
productive interesting
Electrical Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Long hours but busy
good people to work with
good pay and good life balance 14/14
Inspection of Off- Site Fab work prior to the equipment shipping to site.
 Conducting risk hazard analysis with the operations team for work in areas that are deemed to be high risk. i.e. tie-ins to or within live operations.
 Support as relates to technical field inquiries from Vendors, Construction QC and the
Onsite Automation Group.
 Monitoring of pertinent project transmittals i.e. (NCR’s, RFI’s, FCN’s etc.) to determine their impact on the CSU turnover timeline.
 Monitor construction progress reports, particularly on time critical work like major turnarounds or area specific outages.
 Initiating RFI’s to address any design/engineering changes, that may be required during the startup process
 Review new system requirements with the reliability group, providing them with field support on equipment run-ins and recommendation of new equipment spares
A good place to be
Assistant to Site Director / ILP Coordinator (SAP) (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills projectOctober 7, 2015
Suncor is a great company to work for. Management is fair and co-workers are generally happy.

Pros
Pays well - (somewhat) flexible manager
Cons
work life balance was tilted
Great Place to Work
Process Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Excellent company ,providing lot of Benefits, excellent Salary, So many Safety Training. Lot of Learning, great Team work. Excellent career advancement.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Rotating shifs
Sulphur Recovery Operator
PROCESS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 7, 2016
A typical day would involve a routine check of all equipment within the plant, write permits and morning/graveyard meetings.

In the Sulphur Recovery Plant, I learn the process in how to extract Elemental Sulphur out of Hydrogen Sulphide Gas/Water mixtures. Also, How to Operate different H2S extraction systems, take sour samples under SCBA and Start and Shut-Down equipment such Boilers, Furnaces, Pumps and Vessels.

Management was excellent and cared for the growth of their employess. They had an open door policy as well.
Pros
Excellent Work Enviroment
Cons
N?A
Productive and fun wok place
Device & Integration Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  MississugaSeptember 15, 2015
Working at Sucor been a fun journey. I learned a lot about sustainability and reliability.
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
benefits are only for full time employes
Fast paced,safety oriented, fun, rewarding
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 2, 2015
Loved my job because of the variety and good people to work with.

Daily work was involved with reviewing and releasing PM Work Orders. Then reviewing approved to plan Notifications and start planning them based on priority and urgency. Review of spare parts required and perhaps external services required as well.

I learned a lot about the newest format of SAP and many new opportunities to streamline the SAP Process. I was involved with the cross department meetings in order to find roadblocks or bottlenecks to work through those issues to a positive solution.

Management was a revolving door and that was my most frustrating part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting things done with the right people, with the right parts at the right time; with minimal re-planning at the point of Execution - by attaching drawings, P&ID's Procedures and OEM information
Pros
Lots of training, good wages, empowered, teamwork
Cons
politics, changing management
a good learning experience
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
Pros
high pay
Not enough challenge
Senior Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
I think that Suncor is an excellent company, and I was very excited to work for them. However, the role I was in was not challenging enough. There was not enough work and I was twiddling my thumbs most of the time. There did not seem to be room for advancement in my department. For me, the challenge wasn't there at the time, but I would consider returning to the company if there was a more progressive position available.
Pros
Gym and daycare on site
Cons
Too many layers of management
Lots of Employee Benefits
Junior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2015
Lots of great Employee Benefits to improve Job Work/Life Balance. However, these are not always the most accessible to offsite employees. During restructuring periods, this can also be quite a nerve-wracking experience for junior/new grad employees. Great training resources on the company and policies are provided. Job specific training could be improved.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Mediocre at best
Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2016
This is a Middle rated company. I have worked for better.
Located in Edmonton is great...but the Salary Positions have No overtime pay; yet you are EXPECTED to work Overtime during Turnarounds.
Pros
Cons
No Overtime Pay for Overtime work.
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.
Pros
big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons
New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Great company to work for
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 21, 2016
I resigned from Suncor after a great deal of thought. Both my wife and I have relocated back to our home in Ontario. I really enjoyed my employment at Suncor - had a great crew and everyone including management is committed to safety.

During my time at Suncor I have taken over 60 courses relating to Supervisory skills and safety.
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Long shifts
Great experience good people and room for advancement
Lead Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montreal-est, QCMay 27, 2015
1-A typical day at the office with Suncor would consist of meetings with our construction team in preparation for our coordinators to paticipate in the safety tool box meetings with Contractors.

2-During my 5 years with Suncor. I learned that Safety was not just a lip service but that safety was a culture, and this was encouraged to the Contractors on a daily basis.

3-Management were supportive in managing the field work on a daily basis.

4- Our daily office coordination brainstorming meetings would open the door for our co-workers to participate in the success of the project.

5- I found the Hardest part of the job when we would be in the execution phase and were not part writing the poorly defined scope,schedule,or budget and have to correct through the change management process.

6- I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be working with people, I enjoyed the success that we shared when we all worked the processes together and learned from each other the best practices.
Pros
Great experiences
Great company to work for
Integrated Reliability Project Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
SUNCOR Energy is a Great company. Work life balance is excellent and Effort is reconized.
Highly recommend SUNCOR to anyone.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Great Work Life Balance
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Cons
Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Get Place
Client Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2016
Great place to work and meet interesting people. Management is organized and good with personal time off and special requests.

4.2