Suncor

Suncor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very Good company to work for
Human Resources (Current Employee), CanadaJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Work Conditions
Cons: Too many change management
Excellent opportunity to learn. Excellent compensation and benefits. Great people to work with. Excellent place for interns and new grad.
It was a truly great experience
Warehouse/Parts Technician (Former Employee), main warehouseJuly 21, 2015
:)All the training you require, you will get a chance to do. Good people and always exciting. Lots of challenges but there is always someone willing to lend a hand.
I loved everything about working at Suncor Energy.
Analyst/Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCJuly 16, 2015
A typical day at work would start off by checking and replying to e-mails and phone messages. Going over my agenda on what needed to be done that day. I would do inventory reconciliations, journal entries, and month end balancing, etc. Everyone at Suncor was great management and co-workers were very easy to get a lot with.
very productive
Labourer (Former Employee), fort mc murrayJuly 5, 2015
fun working nice people and good to work with helped to get me courses and the busing to and from work was really good and the hours were good
Fun place to work, with great perks.
Process operator/Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaJune 30, 2015
It was a great team effort, and fun people to work with/for. Everyone carried their own load, and had great work ethic. Also, people knew when to have fun, and when to be serious. Got to learn lots about the oil and gas industry.
Lots of knowledgeable people
Inspection Intern (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 27, 2015
Suncor was a great company to work for it is a shame i could not have gone back due to they maxed out there staff. I have meet so many great people and great learning experience in the refinery.
Suncor is a positive and challenging work environment.
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee), EdmontonJune 26, 2015
I have learned a great deal working at Suncor and have kept up with many challenges in my role as a Senior Contract Administrator. A typical day at work is dealing with many Clients and Stakeholders. Expediting requirements for contracts and making sure everyone is getting what they need from Contractors and Vendors. I work with a great team and enjoy being part of a team that works well together. The hardest part of my job is trying to push people to provide what I need to do my job and the most enjoyable part of my job is when a contract is executed and I know I have done my job well.
It's a good part-time job jor students
Support Trucks Planner (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayJune 25, 2015
Very busy job, students constantly ask questions. It helped me get really good at Math, Chemisty and Physics. Constantly answering questions help me train my mind to stay focused more than before.
playable place to work
ETL Tester (Retail Pricing Analyst Role) (Former Employee), TorontoJune 12, 2015
Every day will be good start at this company, learnt so much information. my co-workers are also pretty helpful, the experience was awesome.
Great people, good work culture but there is fair bit of red tape in upper management. Too bad the dip in oil prices squeezed out a lot of good folks
In Asset Management (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 9, 2015
Pros: Exposure to a lot of work, Learning opportunities, Great work colleagues, Good benefits
Cons: Like to do things internally, do not like to hire external consultants for expert advice.
The people and job culture is excellent. But there are a lot of redundant roles doing the same job. So middle management ends up micro-managing.
Great experience good people and room for advancement
Lead Coordinator (Former Employee), Montreal-est, QCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great experiences
Cons: Long hours
1-A typical day at the office with Suncor would consist of meetings with our construction team in preparation for our coordinators to paticipate in the safety tool box meetings with Contractors.

2-During my 5 years with Suncor. I learned that Safety was not just a lip service but that safety was a culture, and this was encouraged to the Contractors on a daily basis.

3-Management were supportive – more... in managing the field work on a daily basis.

4- Our daily office coordination brainstorming meetings would open the door for our co-workers to participate in the success of the project.

5- I found the Hardest part of the job when we would be in the execution phase and were not part writing the poorly defined scope,schedule,or budget and have to correct through the change management process.

6- I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be working with people, I enjoyed the success that we shared when we all worked the processes together and learned from each other the best practices. – less
Excellent work culture
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 14, 2015
Excellent culture! I enjoyed working at Suncor Energy. The culture is very professional and diverse with good work ethics.
Excellent company to work for
Integration Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 5, 2015
Pros: Interesting and challenging work, good leadership and support
Cons: Job uncertainty with declining markets, increasing job complexity and increased responsibility
Working for Petro-Canada and then later for Suncor when the companies merged was a very positive experience.

I held many different positions over the 9+ years as an employee and also 6 years prior as a contractor.

My final role was spent as a member of an Integration team for Suncor's In Situ Business Unit. This opportunity allowed me to manage, coordinate and contribute to a variety of projects.
Productive and Fun Place
Network Specialist (CANADA) (Current Employee), Missassauga, OntarioMay 4, 2015
Its a one of the best organization to work with. The environment is very friendly. Staff is helping and mostly the people are friendly and easy going in the organization
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons: New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.
Suncor is good employer
Database Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 28, 2015
Pros: good work envorinment
Cons: high layoff percentage
Suncor has a very large IT shop and is among the best companies to work for.
its IT operations are outsourced and current IT management is looking into to consolidate the IT environment at the same time is going towards complete outsourced model.
excellent work/life balance with little job security or advancement
Project Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: good compensation
Cons: complex relationship
Suncor is a wealthy company due to it vast oil resources. Its management style is not matching its pace required for its further development. Senior management tends to use various systems to manage this monster organization. That caused lower work efficiency and less human interaction. The senior management doesn't really know what is going on with the working level.
Fantastic work environment with friendly co-workers.
Assistant to EVP of Major Projects (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaApril 21, 2015
A great place to work where I was constantly learning about the industry. There was plenty of room for personal achievement as well as professional achievement. The co-workers were fantastic to work with and management genuinely cared about your personal well being.
Challenging
Process Safety Information Specialist (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2015
a good and fruitful experience working in different conditions at site. With different assignments and tasks everyday, walking down at the plant is quite a challenge specially on complex areas such as boiler house and utility lines.
Enjoyed working at Suncor at Calgary office in SCM
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
Pros: Several as mentioned above
Cons: Several as mentioned above
A typical day to day work - includes new work challenges, excitement, work life balance, experienced, collaborative and supportive team members exists in foundation level in all SCM groups.

Learnt - I have learned many new things working with major O&G companies, gained lot of confidence and have clear goals on my work and career path. I am coming out of this Company with lot of knowledge that might – more... open door in some other company in future.

Management - Suncor needs to really work on selecting Team Leaders, Managers and Directors. This is due to the fact Team Leader and Managers do not know how to make wise decisions in any downturns. As everyone know work comes out at foundation level in any organization. If Suncor had a good Team Leaders/ Manager they could have picked individuals who are Loyal to the Company, experienced, can give better Turn around, cost efficient and can fix any kind of situations.

It is petty to say that an individual, who are Ex employees with Team Leader/ managers, near and dear hangout with Managers can have job security. Decisions are not based on how many years individual worked, his/her experience, education, individual is shown exceptional in all one-one meetings and given unbelievable work turn arounds.

Hardest part of the job - Suncor made several changes (5-6 changes) in SCM in past 7 years (Petro Canada/Suncor). Any simple change in the organisation will effect foundation workers at high by the time worker gets adjusted a new changes is on the way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is work life balance I started my day at 7:00 and finished by 4:00, there are lot of internal competitions, prizes etc... – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Suncor

The skeptics said Canada's oil sands could never be developed commercially. In 1967, Suncor Energy proved them wrong; the perseverance, – Read more

Suncor Photos

Love working in the refinery