Suncor

Suncor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun place to work
Process Engineer, EIT (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Mentoring Program
Cons: Not as such
Productive and fun place to work. Good place to start your career as it has effective mentoring program in place.
•a typical day at work: good
•what you learned: Engineering
•management: Good
•your co-workers: just like family
•the hardest part of the job: Nothing is hard
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Team Work
Highly safety oriented culture with great opportunities for learning
Engineering Co-op - Maintenance & Reliability (Former Employee), St. John's, NLAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Opportunities for advancement
Cons: Higher management keeps changing
You get to learn a lot from people who have tons of experience in the industry. There is freedom to innovate better work processes if you put in the effort. An issue that came up was, due to the company's large size it is hard to maintain effective communication between different departments.
Consulting here
Workstation Software Support Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 6, 2015
A good company to work overall, but there was a definite separation between employees and contractors. Outsourcing to IBM left contractors with no offers, so we all had to find our new positions on our own.
Culture and dynamics
Supply Chain (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Great pay, medical and dental coverage and savings program.
Cons: Lack of communication on many levels
Dealt with many different people on a day to day basis, can be fast-paced and impossible deadlines from the internal customers.
Suncor is most important company in Canada
Analyst Consultant Contractor (Current Employee), Firebag, ABAugust 2, 2015
Our company offers a variety of career paths for operations, technical, professional and leadership streams. The Career Compass is a tool that gives insight into careers at Suncor and the different ways people can move into a new position or stay in their current role for a satisfying career.

Within the career tool, there are many resources that help identify potential career paths. It also shows how others have navigated their careers at Suncor and gives a standard way to talk about career and development.

The Career Compass, along with other resources in our development toolkit, supports our ability to retain and engage people to meet our business needs
Very Good company to work for
Human Resources (Current Employee), CanadaJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Work Conditions
Cons: Too many change management
Excellent opportunity to learn. Excellent compensation and benefits. Great people to work with. Excellent place for interns and new grad.
It was a truly great experience
Warehouse/Parts Technician (Former Employee), main warehouseJuly 21, 2015
:)All the training you require, you will get a chance to do. Good people and always exciting. Lots of challenges but there is always someone willing to lend a hand.
I loved everything about working at Suncor Energy.
Analyst/Admin Assistant (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCJuly 16, 2015
A typical day at work would start off by checking and replying to e-mails and phone messages. Going over my agenda on what needed to be done that day. I would do inventory reconciliations, journal entries, and month end balancing, etc. Everyone at Suncor was great management and co-workers were very easy to get a lot with.
very productive
Labourer (Former Employee), fort mc murrayJuly 5, 2015
fun working nice people and good to work with helped to get me courses and the busing to and from work was really good and the hours were good
Fun place to work, with great perks.
Process operator/Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaJune 30, 2015
It was a great team effort, and fun people to work with/for. Everyone carried their own load, and had great work ethic. Also, people knew when to have fun, and when to be serious. Got to learn lots about the oil and gas industry.
Lots of knowledgeable people
Inspection Intern (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 27, 2015
Suncor was a great company to work for it is a shame i could not have gone back due to they maxed out there staff. I have meet so many great people and great learning experience in the refinery.
Suncor is a positive and challenging work environment.
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee), EdmontonJune 26, 2015
I have learned a great deal working at Suncor and have kept up with many challenges in my role as a Senior Contract Administrator. A typical day at work is dealing with many Clients and Stakeholders. Expediting requirements for contracts and making sure everyone is getting what they need from Contractors and Vendors. I work with a great team and enjoy being part of a team that works well together. The hardest part of my job is trying to push people to provide what I need to do my job and the most enjoyable part of my job is when a contract is executed and I know I have done my job well.
It's a good part-time job jor students
Support Trucks Planner (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayJune 25, 2015
Very busy job, students constantly ask questions. It helped me get really good at Math, Chemisty and Physics. Constantly answering questions help me train my mind to stay focused more than before.
playable place to work
ETL Tester (Retail Pricing Analyst Role) (Former Employee), TorontoJune 12, 2015
Every day will be good start at this company, learnt so much information. my co-workers are also pretty helpful, the experience was awesome.
Great people, good work culture but there is fair bit of red tape in upper management. Too bad the dip in oil prices squeezed out a lot of good folks
In Asset Management (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 9, 2015
Pros: Exposure to a lot of work, Learning opportunities, Great work colleagues, Good benefits
Cons: Like to do things internally, do not like to hire external consultants for expert advice.
The people and job culture is excellent. But there are a lot of redundant roles doing the same job. So middle management ends up micro-managing.
Great experience good people and room for advancement
Lead Coordinator (Former Employee), Montreal-est, QCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great experiences
Cons: Long hours
1-A typical day at the office with Suncor would consist of meetings with our construction team in preparation for our coordinators to paticipate in the safety tool box meetings with Contractors.

2-During my 5 years with Suncor. I learned that Safety was not just a lip service but that safety was a culture, and this was encouraged to the Contractors on a daily basis.

3-Management were supportive in managing the field work on a daily basis.

4- Our daily office coordination brainstorming meetings would open the door for our co-workers to participate in the success of the project.

5- I found the Hardest part of the job when we would be in the execution phase and were not part writing the poorly defined scope,schedule,or budget and have to correct through the change management process.

6- I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be working with people, I enjoyed the success that we shared when we all worked the processes together and learned from each other the best practices.
Excellent work culture
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 14, 2015
Excellent culture! I enjoyed working at Suncor Energy. The culture is very professional and diverse with good work ethics.
Excellent company to work for
Integration Business Planning Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 5, 2015
Pros: Interesting and challenging work, good leadership and support
Cons: Job uncertainty with declining markets, increasing job complexity and increased responsibility
Working for Petro-Canada and then later for Suncor when the companies merged was a very positive experience.

I held many different positions over the 9+ years as an employee and also 6 years prior as a contractor.

My final role was spent as a member of an Integration team for Suncor's In Situ Business Unit. This opportunity allowed me to manage, coordinate and contribute to a variety of projects.
Productive and Fun Place
Network Specialist (CANADA) (Current Employee), Missassauga, OntarioMay 4, 2015
Its a one of the best organization to work with. The environment is very friendly. Staff is helping and mostly the people are friendly and easy going in the organization
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons: New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.

1 2 3 4 5

About Suncor

The skeptics said Canada's oil sands could never be developed commercially. In 1967, Suncor Energy proved them wrong; the perseverance, – Read more

Suncor Photos

Love working in the refinery