Suncor Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great company to work for, I would work here again.
Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 5, 2016
Competitive compensation and benefits package.

Great projects to work on.

Good communication of company direction from Executives.

Well-managed balance sheet, as evidenced in the way the company has weathered the low oil prices to date.
Complicated work place but the job was easy
Tailings Maintenance (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Good team
Cons: Long hours
Typical day was....
Morning safety meeting. Given job instructions. Get the permit and make sure the lock out procedure was done. Go to the job and do the FLRA. Pre checked all equipment and tools. If everything was safe then we stared work.

Learned...
Good communication is key for a safe work place

Management and co-workers
Good management. Supervisors weren't the best. Always a fight to get things or to make sure everything was safe and they would favour a worker more then others. Co-workers were good.

Hardest part was making sure safety was the number one priority. Production was more important then safety it seemed.

Working with a good crew and sticking together as a team to get things done in a timely manner and making sure its done safely along the way.
A good place to be
Assistant to Site Director / ILP Coordinator (SAP) (Current Employee), Fort Hills projectOctober 7, 2015
Pros: Pays well - (somewhat) flexible manager
Cons: work life balance was tilted
Suncor is a great company to work for. Management is fair and co-workers are generally happy.

Productive and fun wok place
Device & Integration Operations Analyst (Current Employee), MississugaSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: benefits are only for full time employes
Working at Sucor been a fun journey. I learned a lot about sustainability and reliability.
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Fast paced,safety oriented, fun, rewarding
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 2, 2015
Pros: Lots of training, good wages, empowered, teamwork
Cons: politics, changing management
Loved my job because of the variety and good people to work with.

Daily work was involved with reviewing and releasing PM Work Orders. Then reviewing approved to plan Notifications and start planning them based on priority and urgency. Review of spare parts required and perhaps external services required as well.

I learned a lot about the newest format of SAP and many new opportunities to streamline the SAP Process. I was involved with the cross department meetings in order to find roadblocks or bottlenecks to work through those issues to a positive solution.

Management was a revolving door and that was my most frustrating part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting things done with the right people, with the right parts at the right time; with minimal re-planning at the point of Execution - by attaching drawings, P&ID's Procedures and OEM information
productive interesting
Electrical Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Long hours but busy
good people to work with
good pay and good life balance 14/14
Inspection of Off- Site Fab work prior to the equipment shipping to site.
 Conducting risk hazard analysis with the operations team for work in areas that are deemed to be high risk. i.e. tie-ins to or within live operations.
 Support as relates to technical field inquiries from Vendors, Construction QC and the
Onsite Automation Group.
 Monitoring of pertinent project transmittals i.e. (NCR’s, RFI’s, FCN’s etc.) to determine their impact on the CSU turnover timeline.
 Monitor construction progress reports, particularly on time critical work like major turnarounds or area specific outages.
 Initiating RFI’s to address any design/engineering changes, that may be required during the startup process
 Review new system requirements with the reliability group, providing them with field support on equipment run-ins and recommendation of new equipment spares
a good learning experience
Process Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2015
Pros: high pay
Cons: long hours
Fun work place with supportive management.
Great Place to Work
Process Operator Trainee (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: Good Salary
Cons: Rotating shifs
Excellent company ,providing lot of Benefits, excellent Salary, So many Safety Training. Lot of Learning, great Team work. Excellent career advancement.
Not enough challenge
Senior Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Gym and daycare on site
Cons: Too many layers of management
I think that Suncor is an excellent company, and I was very excited to work for them. However, the role I was in was not challenging enough. There was not enough work and I was twiddling my thumbs most of the time. There did not seem to be room for advancement in my department. For me, the challenge wasn't there at the time, but I would consider returning to the company if there was a more progressive position available.
Lots of Employee Benefits
Junior Estimator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 27, 2015
Pros: Employee Benefits
Lots of great Employee Benefits to improve Job Work/Life Balance. However, these are not always the most accessible to offsite employees. During restructuring periods, this can also be quite a nerve-wracking experience for junior/new grad employees. Great training resources on the company and policies are provided. Job specific training could be improved.
Fear driven/rumor
AP Process Improvement Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Cons: Revolving Door/Poor Mid-level Mgmt
Gossip/rumor mongering/misinformation sums up the Department I worked for as the merger completed and every was vying for positions out. Had some amazing lower Mgmt, but the company in general at the time was suffering from bloated middle Mgmt that changed with the seasons (if not more frequent). Reason, logic, and clear evidence were ignored when in opposition of upper Mgmt wishes/bias. Micro management was an issues at times, and there were numerous meetings about meetings that wasted more time than they accomplished positive outcomes. Nepotism was rampant, and many polices were ignored in favor of of Mgmt wishes giving the guise of transparency. Overall I had sever distrust of Mgmt and most coworkers.
Great experience good people and room for advancement
Lead Coordinator (Former Employee), Montreal-est, QCMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great experiences
Cons: Long hours
1-A typical day at the office with Suncor would consist of meetings with our construction team in preparation for our coordinators to paticipate in the safety tool box meetings with Contractors.

2-During my 5 years with Suncor. I learned that Safety was not just a lip service but that safety was a culture, and this was encouraged to the Contractors on a daily basis.

3-Management were supportive in managing the field work on a daily basis.

4- Our daily office coordination brainstorming meetings would open the door for our co-workers to participate in the success of the project.

5- I found the Hardest part of the job when we would be in the execution phase and were not part writing the poorly defined scope,schedule,or budget and have to correct through the change management process.

6- I found the most enjoyable part of the job to be working with people, I enjoyed the success that we shared when we all worked the processes together and learned from each other the best practices.
Category Management moral is going down the drain
Category Management Specialist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: big company with lots of opportunities, good salary
Cons: New SCM and Category management leadership, lack of direction, politics
Suncor as a whole is a good company with lots of opportunities to learn due to the various job opportunities and experienced staff. The salary and bonuses are relatively good. However due to the size of the company it is very political and there are pockets of fiefdoms in SCM and IT. The recent job lay offs have been used as a vendetta by some leaders and moral has taken a hit (e.g. Category Management). A lot of staff are waiting for the oil prices to rebound before jumping ship.
Highly safety oriented culture with great opportunities for learning
Engineering Co-op - Maintenance & Reliability (Former Employee), St. John's, NLAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Opportunities for advancement
Cons: Higher management keeps changing
You get to learn a lot from people who have tons of experience in the industry. There is freedom to innovate better work processes if you put in the effort. An issue that came up was, due to the company's large size it is hard to maintain effective communication between different departments.
Great people, good work culture but there is fair bit of red tape in upper management. Too bad the dip in oil prices squeezed out a lot of good folks
In Asset Management (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 9, 2015
Pros: Exposure to a lot of work, Learning opportunities, Great work colleagues, Good benefits
Cons: Like to do things internally, do not like to hire external consultants for expert advice.
The people and job culture is excellent. But there are a lot of redundant roles doing the same job. So middle management ends up micro-managing.
Fast Past
Planner (Current Employee), Ft.McMurray, ABSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: not much room for advancement
Typical day, involves morning safety moment followed by round table discussion. Then into the work load addressing different challenges and finding solutions.
Great benefits, leadership needs to be improved
Learning Development (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: salary, co-workers, environment
Cons: Leadership, not held accountable
Suncor is great! However they do not hold people accountable for their actions. Still the same friends and family plan. Its not what you know but who you know. You would think with the experience and knowledge you can advance, but unless you know someone, good luck.
Great company to work for
Integrated Reliability Project Support (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Great Company
Cons: Great Work Life Balance
SUNCOR Energy is a Great company. Work life balance is excellent and Effort is reconized.
Highly recommend SUNCOR to anyone.
Productive and fun place to work
Process Engineer, EIT (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Mentoring Program
Cons: Not as such
Productive and fun place to work. Good place to start your career as it has effective mentoring program in place.
•a typical day at work: good
•what you learned: Engineering
•management: Good
•your co-workers: just like family
•the hardest part of the job: Nothing is hard
•the most enjoyable part of the job: Team Work
Excellent working environment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Great salary and benefits.
Cons: None
I worked for Suncor for 28 years. Great job security and room for advancement. Salary and benefits were excellent. Training and education were always available.
Headquarters