Suncor

Suncor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Informative and Productive
File Administrator/Auditor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: a lot of physical work
- A typical day at work involved so working on well files, extracting and updating database with well file information,lifting a boxes pulling carts, liaising with different other teams to get information about well files, reading maps, educating newer employees on various work process.
- I learned how to multitask, Auditing various steps of the process, – more... managing a team
- My co-workers were very friendly and hardworking people, working with them was a delight
The hardest part of the job was managing a team while multitasking, and performing other duties.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was auditing – less
Suncor - Great place to work.
Logistics Coordinator/Expeditor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 13, 2014
Pros: good pay, good people, good work
Cons: alot of new employees
I was and always have been treated very well here. People are great to work with and management is very easy to work for:

Clear goals
Good assignments
Very good family and life balance

The most Canadian cultured company of all the oil and gas companies to work with.

Overall very, very good.
Great wages and no sleep. :)
HVAC/R Tech. (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 13, 2014
Pros: great pay.
Cons: little sleep.
Suites a purpose. Very demanding. Highly dangerous. Wide range of job applications. Flexibility required. Good experience.
Generally Good
Master Data Coordinator/Developer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 12, 2014
Good Instruments for communications
General attitude of employees are good
Co-workers good
Bad benefits, decent salary
Summer Student Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2014
Worked as an operator doing shift work. If your ok with shift work than this is a great job, it's located in the city, easily accessible. Seemed like the employees were not happy about the benefits plan, saying things like Shell and Esso have a much better plan for their employees. Other than that it was a fun place to work, great people to work with, – more... management wasn't really noteworthy. Salary is decent compared to other major companies for operators starting upwards of 85k. – less
Fun workplace offering opportunity to grow
Contractor - Process Master Data Analyst (Current Employee), CalgaryNovember 8, 2014
Pros: more social activities
I really love working at Suncor as my first work experience at Canadian Corporate workplace.
Great experience
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 5, 2014
As I stated previously it was a very fast pace environment and I enjoyed the challenges that came my way every day.
Non Productive Company
EHS (Current Employee), CalgaryOctober 30, 2014
Pros: normal hours, nobody is watching your start/finish times
Cons: no beverages in the fridge
There is not much room for advancement if you are good at your job. There is a lack of collaboration between business units and processes. There are multiple processes for each job and management is aware of this but makes no effort to change. Sadly there has been multiple fatalities this year (2014), some public knowledge some kept private. Unfortunately – more... the learnings from these incidents are not widely shared, they have shared generic high level details.

The management team I work under is quite indulgent, spending a lot of money on food for their weekly meetings, first class flights to foreign countries, large bonuses, pay checks, and large offices. They management team seems quite comfortable and happy, but the workers are not as lucky. We sit in cubicles (when 50% of our floor has empty offices for over 3 years now), our pay is not competitive or up to industry standard, and we are not treated with fair opportunities. There are no stock options granted upon hire unless you are upper management.

I spoke with my manager and was told I needed my CRSP designation to advance in my career; I got that. Now I am told I need Suncor Field experience to advance. So unless I am willing to go to Fort McMurray, there is no room for advancement. They do not give current employees credit for any prior field/site experience, but they will hire an external individual with no Suncor field experience (and external field experience) in a more senior role. Basically they don't want to move me, even though I am a high performer because I am too good at my job, or I rubbed someone in management the wrong way, despite consistently receiving a performance ratings of Strong 3 years in a row which is 4/5 (5 best).

Suncor provides $5500 a year for education but it is hard to get education approved. They have 90 days to approve the education expense that you pay for first and then they pay you back 90 more days after that...so by the time you register after receiving approval the course is complete or full. Either the manager supports it or they dont. If you have a degree prior to coming to Suncor, they will respect you more and pay you better. I have seen others disrespected because they do not have a degree, or higher education.

There are a lot of Ego's walking the halls at Suncor. It is not about what you know but who you know. When senior leaders talk in meetings, they refer to individuals by name not area or title and if you dont know who or where they are or what that individual does you are not part of the conversation anymore. Its almost like, I know so and so...and you dont. It is silly and arrogant.

I have good work life balance because of efforts on my part to not answer my BB after hours. I am not in an Emergency type role therefore I do not need to be contacted on my time away from the office. Suncor does not show they have an issue with this, nor do they mention/show that they support work life balance. Plus the BB's they hand out are out dated old BB's and they do not allow the use of iPhone's or forwarding your calls/emails.

There is a lot of talk and fluffy goals showing Suncor cares, with little action. That is why the fatality rate is so high. It is why we have repeat incidents. I am a strong believer of Walk the Talk but it doesn't seem Suncor management is.

Suncor leaders do not hold a lot of workers accountable for their work. If it doesnt get done, it doesnt get done. There are few individuals that care, and that is sad. They seem to be here to get their paycheck. I hear a lot of personal chatter because im in a cubicle and because management doesnt set clear expectations. It is like a playground, if there is someone who does not do their job like the others do, everyone acts like it is okay and babies them. I was told to babysit another individual who is on my same level so I can monitor the projects success, rather than their Team Lead saying "hey, get your work done, you are affecting the team"...in a more constructive professional way but you get the idea.

There are a lot of employees that abuse some perks but management does not care nor do they discipline the workers for doing so. ie. taking random days off and not claiming them, coming into work at 9:00 and leaving at 2:30 to go home, not achieving your objectives, etc.

I used to be excited to work here because of all the opportunity to learn and grow, but now I am just excited for lunch. It is the highlight of my day. There is no challenge in my role. I am thinking this relationship between me and Suncor is good for them, not good for me. – less
Certified Project Planner/Scheduler
Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 20, 2014
Certified Project Planner/Scheduler. Excellent working enviroment, Job culture is great
Worked in multiple departments - personal and professional growth
Surface Land Coordinator Consultant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Co-workers are friendly and always willing to help. Suncor has a strong sense of community within the company. Not just department to department.

The hardest part of the job is coverage.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my manager and co-workers. They were all very knowledgeable and easy-going and friendly.
Great people mostly office work and great environment.
Drug and Alcohol Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 5, 2014
Paperwork
Supervising others
Training new hires
Performing drug and alcohol tests
Lots of computer work and emailing
Reception duties
Cleaning
Filing
A great place to work, energetic people, with fantastic food and facilities.
Ops / Maintenance Coordinator / Permit Writer (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: great food & piecefull sleeps
1) Start at 5:30 and supply all needed documents to trades / workers.
2) Suncor is committed to Safety & it is everyone's responsibility to work together and look out for one another.
3) Management has worked together well with me and my co-workers.
4) Co-workers have been great and work together well.
5) Nothing is difficult about my job. I do wish – more... to go into management.
6) Working with people and solving problems. – less
Great Overall Experience
Mining Engineering Student (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 21, 2014
- Good management
- heavy emphasis on communication
- good pay structure
- great experience as a coop
good safe place to work.
PLANT/FIELD OPERATOR (Current Employee), Rimbey, ABSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: education payed for by company can take any courses
Cons: no complaints
coming to work is great, learning things everyday,inspect and maintain oil field equipement,general housekeeping,my boss is great and a awesome group of people to work with.
Excellent Work Enviornment
Consultant (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 2, 2014
Pros: excellent work enviornment
Meetings
Discussions
Implementation
After work networking
Great company
Global Operations Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 1, 2014
Maybe too aggressive at the time with their overall plans leading to alot of work to be done but overall a great company.
Good working environment
Sr. Adviser- Op Excellence (OE) - Asset Life Cycle (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 18, 2014
Pros: major oil & gas player
Cons: work/life balance difficult
Good relationship with the co-workers, not enough resources to do the work
Excellent salary, but needed for the location
Maintenance planner (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayAugust 16, 2014
Pros: rénumeration
Cons: location
Excellent group of people to work with. Cost of living in Fort Mac is quite high thus the need for the higher salaries.
Great Experience Builder, but Struggling
Automotive and Impulse Buy Intern (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great pay, good development opportunities
Cons: office politics, lack of innovation
After completing a marketing internship with Suncor, I found that I learned a lot about in-store promotions and merchandising, but the company itself is struggling with being innovative in terms of its marketing compared to its competitors.
enoyable
(Lead Hand) and Dispatch and equipement operator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 7, 2014
go to work, do the job, go home
learned production and oil sands technology,
hardest part of the job- did not find it difficult
most enjoyable- consistent employment
worked well with management and co workers

1 2 3 4 5

About Suncor

The skeptics said Canada's oil sands could never be developed commercially. In 1967, Suncor Energy proved them wrong; the perseverance, – Read more