Suncor

Suncor Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fantastic work environment with friendly co-workers.
Assistant to EVP of Major Projects (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaApril 21, 2015
A great place to work where I was constantly learning about the industry. There was plenty of room for personal achievement as well as professional achievement. The co-workers were fantastic to work with and management genuinely cared about your personal well being.
Challenging
Process Safety Information Specialist (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABApril 16, 2015
a good and fruitful experience working in different conditions at site. With different assignments and tasks everyday, walking down at the plant is quite a challenge specially on complex areas such as boiler house and utility lines.
Enjoyed working at Suncor at Calgary office in SCM
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
Pros: Several as mentioned above
Cons: Several as mentioned above
A typical day to day work - includes new work challenges, excitement, work life balance, experienced, collaborative and supportive team members exists in foundation level in all SCM groups.

Learnt - I have learned many new things working with major O&G companies, gained lot of confidence and have clear goals on my work and career path. I am coming out of this Company with lot of knowledge that might open door in some other company in future.

Management - Suncor needs to really work on selecting Team Leaders, Managers and Directors. This is due to the fact Team Leader and Managers do not know how to make wise decisions in any downturns. As everyone know work comes out at foundation level in any organization. If Suncor had a good Team Leaders/ Manager they could have picked individuals who are Loyal to the Company, experienced, can give better Turn around, cost efficient and can fix any kind of situations.

It is petty to say that an individual, who are Ex employees with Team Leader/ managers, near and dear hangout with Managers can have job security. Decisions are not based on how many years individual worked, his/her experience, education, individual is shown exceptional in all one-one meetings and given unbelievable work turn arounds.

Hardest part of the job - Suncor made several changes (5-6 changes) in SCM in past 7 years (Petro Canada/Suncor). Any simple change in the organisation will effect foundation workers at high by the time worker gets adjusted a new changes is on the way.

The most enjoyable part of the job is work life balance I started my day at 7:00 and finished by 4:00, there are lot of internal competitions, prizes etc...
an industry and company which will reflect the price of oil
Data Protection Administrator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: forefront of technology
Cons: procedures and processes
good experience to learn about procedures and processes - the hiring and firing is done pretty fast. I am just wondering where all the money out of years of high oil price is gone
Excellent place to work
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Health and Dental benefits, days off
Cons: working lunches
Numerous chances to grow, constant challenging environment which enhance the ability to multitask and work under deadlines.
WAS A VERY GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT 10 YRS AGO
Unit leader (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 19, 2015
THE WAY EMPLOYEES ARE TREATED HAVE DETERATED OVERTHE YEARS. WORKERS NOT RESPECTED AS THEY WERE YEARS AGO.ITS SEEMSTHAT PRODUCTIVITY TAKES PRIORITYOVER EMPLOYEES
A worthwhile experience working with people at the company.
Sr. Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee), Ft. Hill, Ft. Mcmurray, AlbertaMarch 15, 2015
A worthwhile experience working with people at the company. The project is huge and lot of experience will be developed.
Suncor: Very good place to work
Turnaround Mechanical Engineer in Training (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 13, 2015
Pros: excellent salary package, good experience, good employees
Cons: cold in fort mcmurray
I worked at Suncor as an intern and I had the best time of my life during this one year. The experience was great. Accommodation was provided by the company. There were many young interns and new graduates in the company with weekly events happening at Suncor accommodation.

I had a very good manager and provided excellent mentoring. My mistake was to turn down their offer to hire me as an EIT after graduation. I highly advise joining their new grad or intern programs.
Dynamic workplace
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), calgaryMarch 13, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: unstable
Workplace is pretty unstable and unsettling.
Communication from the higher management is bad.
Workplace has good intelligent people
Nice atmosphere
Drilling supervisor/Logistic Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2015
Pros: on site supervisor (consultants) used experience to train new workers.
Cons: delays with dissensions making from calgary.
Oversee day to day drilling activity including construction and safety.
Review all permits prior to day to day activities.
Culture is one which supports out of the box thinking
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee), Firebag site, Fort McMurray, AlbertaMarch 10, 2015
Work days are dependent on shifts allotted.
Great place to practice what has been learned over time. People are good at supporting.
Great working environment
Learning Admin - PD&L (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 4, 2015
Pros: learn something new
Cons: no job security
I loved working there, I loved the people, the environment, how professional most people were, their closeness with each other, their belief in due diligence, and priorities of a safe environment.
An exciting workplace to learn new things
Document Control Coordinator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaMarch 3, 2015
Pros: free souvenirs
Cons: no job security
Fast-paced environment dealing with documentations in oil and gas industry. This is a new experience for me working in documentations providing information to stakeholders; business units, construction teams, contractors and engineering groups. Coordination with all cross-functional teams. I had fun working with the team with the advantage of learning so much from this industry.
A rewarding challenge
3rd Class Power Engineer/ Student Operator Trainee (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 3, 2015
A challenging and rewarding work place, especially in U1. The people are great to work with and support you to become a strong leader.
Typical Day at Work
Maintenance Engineer Co-op (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 2, 2015
Start with daily team meeting to get an update of current auxiliary mining equipment statuses (dozers, excavators etc.) and discuss tasks for the day and updates on ongoing projects. Develop weekly report of Key Performance Indicators of all auxiliary assets for key stakeholders on the cross functional team. Performed failure analysis of failed machine components and supported maintenance staff in servicing the units.
Very Good
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2015
Pros: Good salary
Cons: No job security
A very good company to start your career.. Big name and good salary. Get a work experience in this company and increase your market value.
Loved Suncor
Solution Designer (Solution Architect) (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: pretty much everything except not the best pay rate
Cons: pay rate towards the lower end of market
The only slightly negative thing I can say about my time at Suncor was that the pay rate was at the lower end of the then current market rates.

But, I got to work on great projects, had a great manager, worked with some fabulous people and was allowed (encouraged even!) to do what I do well.
Good work life balance!
Quality Assurance (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: work culture
Cons: the performance management tool could be onerous
The safety culture within this company, I believe is one of the best. All meetings started with a safety topic. That is a part of Operational Excellence. I had a few opportunities to present safety topics.
Good strategy company
Project Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2015
work varies time to time. high load to low load
the management varies, personally it gets better the higher the chain you go.
Suncor is a multi-culture organisation. the kind of people you work vary - from fun intelligent staff to not so intelligent
The hardest part of the job is uncertainty. The management time to time lack the vision and as such make it difficult for the staff to figure out what to work on as a priority.
Shift Clerk
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 18, 2015
I enjoyed my job as shift clerk with Suncor. I worked 6 days off for 6. 12 hour shifts. I worked with two different shifts and 60 supervisors, 15 managers.

1 2 3 4 5

About Suncor

The skeptics said Canada's oil sands could never be developed commercially. In 1967, Suncor Energy proved them wrong; the perseverance, – Read more