Suncor Employee Reviews

Great
Project Controls Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2017
Great company to work for.
Lots of resources and opportunities for growth.
Everyday is a new day at Suncor filled with challenges and success.
(y)(y).
Pros
Great
Good
Maintenance planner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 November 2017
Highs and lows. Good and bad. Ups and downs. Ins and outs.

What do you want me to say?

I'm no longer working there due to "economic downturn" but it was good.
Suncor is a fun place to work.
Extraction Warehouse Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 November 2017
It is a fun place to work on a daily basis.
There is always lots to learn.
The management is inexperience.
The culture is safety first.
the hardest part of the job is to get there.
The most enjoyable part is working with your guys to complete a challenging task.
Pros
Well compensated
Cons
Management needs to learn their job
Millwright
Millwright Transfield Services (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 November 2017
Great company to work with, great qith safety issues provides transportation to and from work, great communication with bosses, high comfort zone in all dimensions
Very good company to work for.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 November 2017
Very well managed processes and programs. Values employee contributions and provides opportunities for growth. Good community neighbour. Exciting world-class projects and technology.
Pros
Team oriented
Cons
Some individuals not suited to supervisor people;
Great place to work, great people to work with
Electrical Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB18 November 2017
Overall a great place to work, great people and a great atmosphere. This job was a very dynamic one with great opportunities for advancement and plenty of training
Good management and fair with pay.
CADD Technologist-Contract Position (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 November 2017
It is a long way to go to work but the job was paying the bills at home.

I would show junior engineers some concepts of simple and difficult procedures for hot taps.
Pros
Room and board was paid for.
Cons
Long way from home
Great place to work, however its too political
Asset Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2017
I worked for Suncor for 1 year, during a time that oil recession hit, which was fairly hard to deal with, given that majority of my row was empty. The place is great for Salary but lacks in any actual opportunity due to incumbent pet projects
A Day at Suncor
Maintenance Clerk-MEM Truck Shop (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 November 2017
A typical day consists of multiple tasking and working with other departments.
Over the years, Suncor has developed an excellent safety program, and I have learnt many details regarding open pit mining. The relationship between Upstream and Downstream is very interesting.
Management can use some improvement. The culture in some aspects is not desirable.
Workplace culture can be improved. The company is a great company to work for, and the overall "you owe me" culture needs some work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the diversity of the daily tasks, as well as working with people who are willing to accept you for who you are. They believe in you and your dedication in your work ethics.
Great team and work environment.
PC Assistant - MR1 Sustaining & Well-Pads (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2017
Everybody I worked with was very professional. The projects we worked on were challenging yet captivating. I learned a lot during my tenure at Suncor Energy.
It's just me but I didn't like working here
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
Lots of people like working for Suncor. I have plenty of friends from university who work there. Personally, this company wasn't for me. Too bureaucratic.
Pros
Lots of friends work here
Cons
Too bureaucratic
Millwright Apprentice
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 October 2017
Work was minimal, not much was learned. They lack support for their new hires. The busing system is terrible. I will never return to work for Suncor, I was discouraged from being productive because there was "no point"
Pros
Met some good people
Cons
The busing system, parking
Great company
liaison contact for clients in Latin America (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 October 2017
very nice environment to work in and very professional. made many good friends. a very well organized company for training, providing the necessary equipment to succeed.
Open pit mining
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 October 2017
Suncor has a very thorough training program and safety is the number one priority. The schedule is 3 days 3 nights and 6 off. I learned a lot but the schedule was not desirable for me as we were always coming off of night shift.
Great Place
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
A fantastic place to work at with reliable coworkers who will help you grow and develop towards your future aspirations. there are plenty of opportunities to advance and grow. If you are interested in perusing this career path, this is a wonderful organization to do so.
good company
Heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 October 2017
i real like suncor energy the company is wall balance and treat their employee with respect and rewarded them with good compassion.i real recommend the suncor to anyone that wish to work in oil sends .
Valuable and well rounded experience gained
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 September 2017
This company is a great place to learn, grow and gain cooperate experience. I was fortunate to have a wonderful mentor and would recommend this company to anyone.
Too many silos and very little acountability.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 September 2017
Suncor base plant operates too many silos and there is very little accountability across the board, especially higher up. Suncor also restricts where you can apply with in company and may lay you off in the end after restricting your options, even if your house burnt down in the fires. Good money, painful to work for if you take pride in your work.
Dynamic & organized
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 September 2017
High corporate culture, place of learning & self improvement, Co-operative & opportunity of having different type of training. A good place of gathering practical Experience.
FIFO Great Work-Life Balance
Process (Contact) Engineer - Fort Hills (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB13 September 2017
FIFO opportunities (7x7) provide a great work and life balance. Currently in transition to become a very procedural and standardized company to compete with the International industry. Training programs are sufficient and comprehensive, management structure is top heavy with far too much management.
Pros
Excellent camp accomodations and work-life balance on 7x7
Cons
12 hour shifts, below average benefits and compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2