Sun Media Employee Reviews

Great inter-office atmosphere, lack lustre employee treatment from corporate
Advertising Sales Representative/ Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABSeptember 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working with the staff in my office and our group of newspaper offices across Southern Alberta. I learned a great deal about office management, preparing payroll, budgeting etc.The hardest part of this job was worrying about job security, layoffs were semi-annual.
Pros
excellent upper management and co-worker experience
Cons
unstable job security, short hours
Great staff to work with
Managing Editor (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ONJuly 15, 2016
The newspaper chain provide great opportunities to engage in creative endeavors and meet with interesting and exciting people. Wide variety of tasks was appealing. Out of province management provided frustrations of not having direct access to them. Downsizing was in full swing and I soon found my staff of 9 cut down to 2.
Pros
Creative, fun social, great staff, great community involvement
Cons
Dying industry provided no future opportunities
Simple Job
Deliverer (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJuly 10, 2016
Very easy day of work, was able to work with my school hours. Some days the weather wasn't the greatest for delivering papers. I had no co-workers to deal with, so it was a bit lonely at times. Hardest part was the bad weather. I liked having small talk with some of the locals while on the job.
Pros
Good communication
Cons
Bad weather sometimes
Excellent Work Life balance
NIE Program Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2015
I have gained great skills while working at the Sun. Very supportive Boss and coworkers. Great Management. Excellent Work Life Balance. Everyone is aware that family comes first and that makes it easy to attend to family emergencies quickly
Pros
Excellent Work Life balance
Cons
Change of Management leading to job insecurity. No room for career growth
My Role and Experience at THe London Free Press
Maintenance Supervisor/ Senior Electrician (Current Employee) –  London Ont.September 13, 2016
A typical day would be me getting started about an hour before the rest of the department comes in. This allows me to read over the logs from the previous shift to see if there are any breakdowns or ongoing issues. From there I prioritize the days maintenance activities. If there are issues that take priority the guys will be assigned the work, otherwise they will continue with the pms that have been assigned to them at the beginning of the week.
Having come from a fast paced automotive environment there has been a culture change as well as a steep learning curve. With the printing industry declining in volume there is little interest in continuous improvements. I have learned a lot about heating and cooling systems and aging infrastructure in a 55 year old building that is full of asbestos. This means contracting abatement to contractors before repairs can be safely completed.
My coworkers have been valuable to my success and have mentored me along the way.
The hardest part of the job has been knowing that because of the facility closing there will be no improvements or future here.
I have totally enjoyed learning the printing industry, the different types of equipment and how the systems I have learned in another industry can be used in this one.
Pros
Freedom, work/homelife balance
Cons
Facility closure
Fun place to work
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2016
Sun Media was a fun place to work. I very much enjoyed working with the customers and my co workers, I looked forward to going to work each and every day. The only reason I am not working for the company any longer is my position was eliminated.
Pros
They were very helpful with me as I have some mobility issues, convenient parking was provided to me, as well as the other staff members were very helpful.
Cons
The only con I can think of is the long drive I had to get to work.
Newspapers Must Evolve To Stay Alive!
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
I saw it in the Sun! Hmmm, are we talking about online app, website or publication? Constantly have to reinvent yourself and stay ahead of the revenue curve. Print media is just thriving with domination of web-based content and services being centralized and consolidated. There is no typical day in I.T...one day fixing old PC and configuring it for an end user and another day trying to resolve remote server issues by email and telephone with a out-of-province data center. The great thing is you can learn from other co-workers with different specialties and everyday is different. The hard part is to know where to draw the line when it comes to budget, time and money for machines and resources. Sometimes troubleshooting can takes a few minutes or several days so have to be patient and persistent. The most enjoyable part is you get job satisfaction for helping others and sometimes a few perks and reward for a job well done. Also there is an opportunity to travel and see new places.
Pros
constantly learning and growing, few employee benefits and social event perks
Cons
hours can be long, little or no raises, little job security in newspaper business
Great Company
Kiosk Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Great Company!! Couldn't be better.

I was an Independent Contractor here, but the sales department that I knew were great!

Enjoyed my time here and got along with head office very well.
Good work.
Flyer Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 20, 2015
It's good work but it has terrible pay and they make you go deliver flyers on inconvenient days, and on days when there is bad weather.
Pros
Good work.
Cons
Bad pay.
Management does not care for any of there employees
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2014
It a company that is going down and management looks like they like making employees miserable , they do not work with employees to help with there life out side of work but if it helps them they will do it do not recommend working here it is micro managed until there is nothing to manage
Pros
there are none maybe the pay is alright, but not that great like they think it is they have an attitude like there employees, should be great full to have a job
Cons
do not apply i'm warning your
Productive and creative work environment
Associate Producer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Sun Media allowed me to advance from a freelance employee to a respectful Associate Producer, capable of working in all area's of the newsroom. Each day was based on building a 2 hour live current affairs program, which I contributed by suggesting stories, guests for segments, writing scripts, and assembling all video and graphic elements.

Editorially, I was responsible for selecting appropriate elements which would effectively convey each story. I networked with industry leaders on a daily basis and trained new staff appointed to work in production.

The people I worked with were insightful and engaging. I owe a lot of what I learned to them.
Great first Job
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park ABJuly 8, 2015
Paper route as a first job. Hardest part of the job was just trying not to get frostbite in the winter but was enjoyable because of the people you could meet around the neighborhood.
very nice place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONOctober 15, 2012
I loved working with my customers, being able to help them made my job worthwhile. My co workers were great to work with. The management staff were there for us if we had any problems or a pat on the back when a good job was done.
Pros
great staff
produtive frendly & helpful enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 30, 2012
Taking call's from customer who has not yet received there daily paper or would like to make a creadit pard payment or would like information regarding promo and regulier rate.
Working for Sun Media has thaught me to be calm and pation will get me further in the long run.
Working there for six years I have incountered many manager witch i have made friends and got allong with.
Many co-workers in such a big industry many of them i have grown very faund of, everyone was very suportive and good team work was allways the key.
Serving twenty one provinces was challenging to remember at times if we where abel to offer redelivery the same day in there area of there news paper or not.
The part i enjoyed the most was to see how loyal my regulier customer where to me, only wanting for me to service them.
Pros
prizes like gife card, money and free lunches.
Cons
late press
Good benefits for partime
Mail Room Inserter (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2013
I enjoyed working for Sun Media. New experience for me working in a plant environment. Liked the people I worked with liked the wage and benefits. Hardest part of the job was the irregular hours.
benefits
Cons
irregular hours
Fun place to work
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMarch 5, 2015
Nice people to work with
Learned how to manage a team of people
Hardest part of the job was adapting my communication skills to be able to manage different types people
Most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere
The newspaper lifestyle
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work entailed working on classified ads for local clients, then inputting the articles into the newspaper. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on said classified ads to the clients' needs, although working with a representative (i.e. a middle-man) instead of directly with the clients sometimes led to misunderstandings between all parties involved.
Pros
nice location
Cons
irregular schedule
Great atmosphere, friendly staff, excellent manager
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 11, 2015
A typical day at work, there is no such thing. I placed classified ads in over 200 newspapers, Canada wide. E-mail communication or direct contact. Loved this job and only due to outsourcing did it come to an end.
Pros
great people
Cons
ended too soon
Running your own business on someone's dime
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2014
In advertising sales what you put into the business is what you are going to get out of the business. It is about meeting people and establishing relationships. It is a lot of fun, very deadline orientated, using creativity and thinking out of the box for your clients.
Pros
freebies, concerts, entertaining
Cons
sales pressure
your salaray is mostly commission
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 4, 2012
Went into businesses to seek out their advertising needs, It was difficult with everyone having websites most businesses do not want print advertising
Pros
got to go from place to place and meet lots of different people
Cons
the amount of gas used in a month was way over the $200 they give for milage

2.7