Sun Media Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent Work Life balance
NIE Program Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2015
I have gained great skills while working at the Sun. Very supportive Boss and coworkers. Great Management. Excellent Work Life Balance. Everyone is aware that family comes first and that makes it easy to attend to family emergencies quickly
Pros
Excellent Work Life balance
Cons
Change of Management leading to job insecurity. No room for career growth
Great Company
Kiosk Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Great Company!! Couldn't be better.

I was an Independent Contractor here, but the sales department that I knew were great!

Enjoyed my time here and got along with head office very well.
Good work.
Flyer Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 20, 2015
It's good work but it has terrible pay and they make you go deliver flyers on inconvenient days, and on days when there is bad weather.
Pros
Good work.
Cons
Bad pay.
Great first Job
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park ABJuly 8, 2015
Paper route as a first job. Hardest part of the job was just trying not to get frostbite in the winter but was enjoyable because of the people you could meet around the neighborhood.
Productive and creative work environment
Associate Producer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Sun Media allowed me to advance from a freelance employee to a respectful Associate Producer, capable of working in all area's of the newsroom. Each day was based on building a 2 hour live current affairs program, which I contributed by suggesting stories, guests for segments, writing scripts, and assembling all video and graphic elements.

Editorially, I was responsible for selecting appropriate elements which would effectively convey each story. I networked with industry leaders on a daily basis and trained new staff appointed to work in production.

The people I worked with were insightful and engaging. I owe a lot of what I learned to them.
Great atmosphere, friendly staff, excellent manager
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJanuary 11, 2015
A typical day at work, there is no such thing. I placed classified ads in over 200 newspapers, Canada wide. E-mail communication or direct contact. Loved this job and only due to outsourcing did it come to an end.
Pros
great people
Cons
ended too soon
Fun place to work
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMarch 5, 2015
Nice people to work with
Learned how to manage a team of people
Hardest part of the job was adapting my communication skills to be able to manage different types people
Most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere
The newspaper lifestyle
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work entailed working on classified ads for local clients, then inputting the articles into the newspaper. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on said classified ads to the clients' needs, although working with a representative (i.e. a middle-man) instead of directly with the clients sometimes led to misunderstandings between all parties involved.
Pros
nice location
Cons
irregular schedule
Management does not care for any of there employees
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2014
It a company that is going down and management looks like they like making employees miserable , they do not work with employees to help with there life out side of work but if it helps them they will do it do not recommend working here it is micro managed until there is nothing to manage
Pros
there are none maybe the pay is alright, but not that great like they think it is they have an attitude like there employees, should be great full to have a job
Cons
do not apply i'm warning your
Running your own business on someone's dime
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2014
In advertising sales what you put into the business is what you are going to get out of the business. It is about meeting people and establishing relationships. It is a lot of fun, very deadline orientated, using creativity and thinking out of the box for your clients.
Pros
freebies, concerts, entertaining
Cons
sales pressure
your salaray is mostly commission
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 4, 2012
Went into businesses to seek out their advertising needs, It was difficult with everyone having websites most businesses do not want print advertising
Pros
got to go from place to place and meet lots of different people
Cons
the amount of gas used in a month was way over the $200 they give for milage
produtive frendly & helpful enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 30, 2012
Taking call's from customer who has not yet received there daily paper or would like to make a creadit pard payment or would like information regarding promo and regulier rate.
Working for Sun Media has thaught me to be calm and pation will get me further in the long run.
Working there for six years I have incountered many manager witch i have made friends and got allong with.
Many co-workers in such a big industry many of them i have grown very faund of, everyone was very suportive and good team work was allways the key.
Serving twenty one provinces was challenging to remember at times if we where abel to offer redelivery the same day in there area of there news paper or not.
The part i enjoyed the most was to see how loyal my regulier customer where to me, only wanting for me to service them.
Pros
prizes like gife card, money and free lunches.
Cons
late press
Newspapers Must Evolve To Stay Alive!
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
I saw it in the Sun! Hmmm, are we talking about online app, website or publication? Constantly have to reinvent yourself and stay ahead of the revenue curve. Print media is just thriving with domination of web-based content and services being centralized and consolidated. There is no typical day in I.T...one day fixing old PC and configuring it for an end user and another day trying to resolve remote server issues by email and telephone with a out-of-province data center. The great thing is you can learn from other co-workers with different specialties and everyday is different. The hard part is to know where to draw the line when it comes to budget, time and money for machines and resources. Sometimes troubleshooting can takes a few minutes or several days so have to be patient and persistent. The most enjoyable part is you get job satisfaction for helping others and sometimes a few perks and reward for a job well done. Also there is an opportunity to travel and see new places.
Pros
constantly learning and growing, few employee benefits and social event perks
Cons
hours can be long, little or no raises, little job security in newspaper business
very nice place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONOctober 15, 2012
I loved working with my customers, being able to help them made my job worthwhile. My co workers were great to work with. The management staff were there for us if we had any problems or a pat on the back when a good job was done.
Pros
great staff
relaxed environment
Readers Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJune 27, 2014
 Provided information to clients concerning services, schedules, rates, regulations and policies in response to telephone enquiries
Pros
open door policy
Cons
human resources was located in quebec
Good benefits for partime
Mail Room Inserter (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2013
I enjoyed working for Sun Media. New experience for me working in a plant environment. Liked the people I worked with liked the wage and benefits. Hardest part of the job was the irregular hours.
benefits
Cons
irregular hours
Retention Manager
Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2014
The pay was good but the work was not. Did not like the work environment. Was happy when I was laid off due to the business closing in the Ottawa area. Not one of the most enjoyable places to work.
Horrible
Bundler/Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2012
Nice people, but inconsistent hours and workload, and were letting people 'go' by simply not calling them back into work. Not a great place to work.
Pros
nice people
Cons
immaturity and little work
Fast-paced, great people to work with!
Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2012
I spent most of my professional life with SUN Media. I gained so much experience through production of varied projects over varied mediums.
fun good work enviroment
labourer (Former Employee) –  Morden MBSeptember 15, 2014
I liked this job I worked well with my co-workers it was very physical work