Sun Media Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great first Job
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), Sherwood Park ABJuly 8, 2015
Paper route as a first job. Hardest part of the job was just trying not to get frostbite in the winter but was enjoyable because of the people you could meet around the neighborhood.
Newspapers Must Evolve To Stay Alive!
Computer Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
Pros: constantly learning and growing, few employee benefits and social event perks
Cons: hours can be long, little or no raises, little job security in newspaper business
I saw it in the Sun! Hmmm, are we talking about online app, website or publication? Constantly have to reinvent yourself and stay ahead of the revenue curve. Print media is just thriving with domination of web-based content and services being centralized and consolidated. There is no typical day in I.T...one day fixing old PC and configuring it for an end user and another day trying to resolve remote server issues by email and telephone with a out-of-province data center. The great thing is you can learn from other co-workers with different specialties and everyday is different. The hard part is to know where to draw the line when it comes to budget, time and money for machines and resources. Sometimes troubleshooting can takes a few minutes or several days so have to be patient and persistent. The most enjoyable part is you get job satisfaction for helping others and sometimes a few perks and reward for a job well done. Also there is an opportunity to travel and see new places.
Fun place to work
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee), CalgaryMarch 5, 2015
Nice people to work with
Learned how to manage a team of people
Hardest part of the job was adapting my communication skills to be able to manage different types people
Most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere
Productive and creative work environment
Associate Producer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Sun Media allowed me to advance from a freelance employee to a respectful Associate Producer, capable of working in all area's of the newsroom. Each day was based on building a 2 hour live current affairs program, which I contributed by suggesting stories, guests for segments, writing scripts, and assembling all video and graphic elements.

Editorially, I was responsible for selecting appropriate elements which would effectively convey each story. I networked with industry leaders on a daily basis and trained new staff appointed to work in production.

The people I worked with were insightful and engaging. I owe a lot of what I learned to them.
Great atmosphere, friendly staff, excellent manager
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: ended too soon
A typical day at work, there is no such thing. I placed classified ads in over 200 newspapers, Canada wide. E-mail communication or direct contact. Loved this job and only due to outsourcing did it come to an end.
The newspaper lifestyle
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: nice location
Cons: irregular schedule
A typical day at work entailed working on classified ads for local clients, then inputting the articles into the newspaper. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on said classified ads to the clients' needs, although working with a representative (i.e. a middle-man) instead of directly with the clients sometimes led to misunderstandings between all parties involved.
fun good work enviroment
labourer (Former Employee), Morden MBSeptember 15, 2014
I liked this job I worked well with my co-workers it was very physical work
Management does not care for any of there employees
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2014
Pros: there are none maybe the pay is alright, but not that great like they think it is they have an attitude like there employees, should be great full to have a job
Cons: do not apply i'm warning your
It a company that is going down and management looks like they like making employees miserable , they do not work with employees to help with there life out side of work but if it helps them they will do it do not recommend working here it is micro managed until there is nothing to manage
relaxed environment
Readers Sales and Service Agent (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 27, 2014
Pros: open door policy
Cons: human resources was located in quebec
 Provided information to clients concerning services, schedules, rates, regulations and policies in response to telephone enquiries
Retention Manager
Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2014
The pay was good but the work was not. Did not like the work environment. Was happy when I was laid off due to the business closing in the Ottawa area. Not one of the most enjoyable places to work.
Running your own business on someone's dime
Account Executive (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: freebies, concerts, entertaining
Cons: sales pressure
In advertising sales what you put into the business is what you are going to get out of the business. It is about meeting people and establishing relationships. It is a lot of fun, very deadline orientated, using creativity and thinking out of the box for your clients.
Good benefits for partime
Mail Room Inserter (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: irregular hours
I enjoyed working for Sun Media. New experience for me working in a plant environment. Liked the people I worked with liked the wage and benefits. Hardest part of the job was the irregular hours.
Community newspapers
News Reporter, Entertainment Editor (Former Employee), Strathmore, ABJanuary 11, 2013
Indepth coverage of many small communties, small workforce.
very nice place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great staff
I loved working with my customers, being able to help them made my job worthwhile. My co workers were great to work with. The management staff were there for us if we had any problems or a pat on the back when a good job was done.
Horrible
Bundler/Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2012
Pros: nice people
Cons: immaturity and little work
Nice people, but inconsistent hours and workload, and were letting people 'go' by simply not calling them back into work. Not a great place to work.
produtive frendly & helpful enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: prizes like gife card, money and free lunches.
Cons: late press
Taking call's from customer who has not yet received there daily paper or would like to make a creadit pard payment or would like information regarding promo and regulier rate.
Working for Sun Media has thaught me to be calm and pation will get me further in the long run.
Working there for six years I have incountered many manager witch i have made friends and got allong with.
Many co-workers in such a big industry many of them i have grown very faund of, everyone was very suportive and good team work was allways the key.
Serving twenty one provinces was challenging to remember at times if we where abel to offer redelivery the same day in there area of there news paper or not.
The part i enjoyed the most was to see how loyal my regulier customer where to me, only wanting for me to service them.
your salaray is mostly commission
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJuly 4, 2012
Pros: got to go from place to place and meet lots of different people
Cons: the amount of gas used in a month was way over the $200 they give for milage
Went into businesses to seek out their advertising needs, It was difficult with everyone having websites most businesses do not want print advertising
Fast-paced, great people to work with!
Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2012
I spent most of my professional life with SUN Media. I gained so much experience through production of varied projects over varied mediums.
Environnement de travail agréable
Adjointe à la vice-présidente (Former Employee), Québec, QCJuly 19, 2013
Pros: pouvoir relever plusieurs défis
Cons: sécurité d'emploi
Journée bien remplie
Je suis la personne ressource auprès des employés.
Grande possibilité de faire preuve d'initiative et d'autonomie
Équipe exceptionnelle - gens motivés
Difficultés: Planification de rencontres avec plusieurs intervenants (conciliation d'horaire d'agenda)
2 déménagements des bureaux dans une même année
Aspects agréables: Donner de l'information et aider les collègues avec leurs demandes respectives. Se sentir utile et appréciée.